PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn!!!

KCJake
11-01-2004, 11:18 PM
This sucks guys. This is only the 2nd or 3rd time I have experienced heartburn. What can I take? I really don't have any "heartburn medicine" laying around. :cuss:

Miles
11-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah heartburn really sucks. Try drinking some milk if you have some.

COCKRINGLEADER
11-01-2004, 11:26 PM
baking soda.... works for me look at the side instructions for.... well instructions.

Iowanian
11-01-2004, 11:28 PM
baking soda, rolaids, Tums, 7up, saltine crackers, peppermint gum, jello, sprite.

milk causes me more trouble..........it says it works better warm for some reason.

Welcome to my world.

KCJake
11-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Got Milk? Hell yeah. Im chugging it as we speak. Thanks man! This sucks. :shake:
Saltine Crackers-i've got some of those to. thanks :thumb:

Pants
11-01-2004, 11:30 PM
baking soda, rolaids, Tums, 7up, saltine crackers, peppermint gum, jello, sprite.

milk causes me more trouble..........it says it works better warm for some reason.

Welcome to my world.

Wait, 7up and sprite help against heartburn? Awesome.

Iowanian
11-01-2004, 11:31 PM
They help settle my gut..............all jokes asside.......eat a jello cup.

I assure you...it could be worse.

Take some of the stuff I listed and it will probably go away as fast as it came on.

Miles
11-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Wait, 7up and sprite help against heartburn? Awesome.

Carbinated drinks usually make it worse for me. Probably because the only ones i drink have caffene in them.

Iowanian
11-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Its the caffine.

go bo
11-01-2004, 11:35 PM
prilosec?

zantac?

"better living through chemistry"... :D

Miles
11-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Its the caffine.

Thats what i figured. I need to try out some of the stuff you suggested. I take too much heartburn medicine which seems like it may not be too healthy...as apposed to he coffee and alcohol which gives me heartburn in the first place.

Pants
11-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I don't know about 7up but Sprite has caffine. Unless it's the Caffine Free version.

Iowanian
11-01-2004, 11:40 PM
I've had bad reflux, heartburn and associated stuff since I was 17.

I've tried most every prescription acid pill on the market..some work better for others than me, and some have side affects.

Crackers, Jello, Sprite, generic tums, and an OTC acid blocker are a good start.

I'm no doctor, but I've paid them enough to have an opinion.

Metro.......I'm looking at a sprite bottle and it is caffine free.

Pants
11-01-2004, 11:44 PM
I've had bad reflux, heartburn and associated stuff since I was 17.

I've tried most every prescription acid pill on the market..some work better for others than me, and some have side affects.

Crackers, Jello, Sprite, generic tums, and an OTC acid blocker are a good start.

I'm no doctor, but I've paid them enough to have an opinion.

Metro.......I'm looking at a sprite bottle and it is caffine free.

Hmm, how come some bottles have the brown/gold hue on the label and it says "Caffine Free". Could be a marketing ploy.

Iowanian
11-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Thats what i figured. I need to try out some of the stuff you suggested. I take too much heartburn medicine which seems like it may not be too healthy...as apposed to he coffee and alcohol which gives me heartburn in the first place.

if its that bad, you've probably got reflux or something.........If its bad see a doctor.............but If you want to save yourself an hour and 2 hundo..............Put phone books under the head of your bed, cut off caffine(soda, chocolate, coffee, Tea), tobacco, cut back on alcohol....buy some Prilosec OTC(or generic which is just as good) avoid spicy food and call me in a month.

That will be $500...............

.....and while you're here complaining of heartburn, we think it would be a great idea to stick this garden hose with a Kodak down your neck or up your butt...........drink this pink chalk and smile for the xray..............if thats enough fun......lets shove this hose in your face for an hour and see how much we can piss you off.....................and while you're here..........put this up your nose and tape it to your face and wear this thing that looks like a beeper for a day.

go bo
11-01-2004, 11:53 PM
if its that bad, you've probably got reflux or something.........If its bad see a doctor.............but If you want to save yourself an hour and 2 hundo..............Put phone books under the head of your bed, cut off caffine(soda, chocolate, coffee, Tea), tobacco, cut back on alcohol....buy some Prilosec OTC(or generic which is just as good) avoid spicy food and call me in a month.

.....and while you're here complaining of heartburn, we think it would be a great idea to stick this garden hose with a Kodak down your neck or up your butt...........drink this pink chalk and smile for the xray..............if thats enough fun......lets shove this hose in your face for an hour and see how much we can piss you off.....................and while you're here..........put this up your nose and tape it to your face and wear this thing that looks like a beeper for a day.damn, sounds like you have had a lot of tests done for such a young man, mr. wanian...

btw, do they really still do the pink chalk thing?

i thought they quit doing that 20 years ago...

Miles
11-02-2004, 12:05 AM

Yeah for me its pretty much self inflicted with coffee and alcohol. Fortunatly, if i take a generic Zatec or 2 a day it keeps it in check. When I dont drink that stuff i really dont get it very often...so its pretty much my own damn fault.

Mosbonian
11-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Like Iowanian I have become an expert in reflux and other GERD related issues.....

Here is a link that you might want to read about Prilosec...

http://health.yahoo.com/search/healthnews?lb=s&p=id%3A64593

Heartburn Drugs Linked to Pneumonia
October 26, 2004 03:26:18 PM PDT , Associated Press

Widely used heartburn and ulcer drugs such as Nexium, Pepcid and Prilosec can make people more susceptible to pneumonia, probably because they reduce germ-killing stomach acid, Dutch researchers found in a study of more than 300,000 patients.
The highest risks occurred with more powerful acid-fighting drugs called proton pump inhibitors, which are sold in the United States under such brand names as Nexium, Prevacid and Prilosec. Over nearly three years, users of these drugs faced almost double the risk of developing pneumonia compared with former users.

Users of another class of acid-fighting drugs that includes cimetidine and famotidine — sold in the United States as Tagamet and Pepcid — also faced an elevated risk.

The study was led by researcher Robert J.F. Laheij at University Medical Center St. Radboud in Nijmegen, Netherlands, and appears in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association (news - web sites).

The acid in normal stomach fluids generally kills harmful bacteria; suppressing it with drugs to treat heartburn and ulcers may make the body more hospitable to such germs, which may then infect the lungs and cause pneumonia, the researchers said.

These heavily promoted medicines are among the most widely prescribed drugs worldwide, with almost $13 billion in sales in 1998 alone, according to a JAMA editorial. Millions of Americans take these drugs, which are heavily advertised in "ask your doctor about ..." TV commercials.

Older patients and those with asthma and other chronic lung ailments are especially vulnerable to pneumonia. In light of the latest findings, the researchers said such patients should use these medicines "only when necessary and with the lowest possible dose."

Among the 364,683 patients whose medical records were studied, 5,551 cases of pneumonia were diagnosed — 185 of them in people taking acid-suppressing drugs.

The researchers said their findings translate to about one case of pneumonia for 226 patients treated with the more potent acid-fighting drugs and one case per 508 patients treated with the other drugs.

Users of the more potent drugs were 89 percent more likely than former users to develop pneumonia. Patients using the less potent drugs were 63 percent more likely to develop pneumonia than former users of those drugs.

Nevertheless, the findings are reassuring because the apparent increase in the risk of pneumonia was small, said Dr. James Gregor of the University of Western Ontario.

Moreover, the study does not actually prove that the drugs cause pneumonia, said Gregor, who wrote the JAMA editorial and was not involved in the research. Regardless of which medication a patient is taking, heartburn, or acid reflux disease, can cause a person to accidentally inhale regurgitated stomach acid, increasing the risk of pneumonia, he said.

___

el borracho
11-02-2004, 12:47 AM
http://www.prevacid.com/elway/default.asp

Michael Michigan
11-02-2004, 01:07 AM
The new rolaids soft chews are working for me. No crappy taste just eat a couple and it seems to get better.

I use vanilla.

Mosbonian
11-02-2004, 01:09 AM

.....and while you're here complaining of heartburn, we think it would be a great idea to stick this garden hose with a Kodak down your neck or up your butt...........drink this pink chalk and smile for the xray..............if thats enough fun......lets shove this hose in your face for an hour and see how much we can piss you off.....................and while you're here..........put this up your nose and tape it to your face and wear this thing that looks like a beeper for a day.

I echo all of what Iowanian is saying...and add a little more....

1) If you have to have soda, make it not only caffeine free, but Diet also. There are chocolate substitutes that can help with the cravings for something sweet. If you gotta have coffee or tea look for decaf, and with tea, you can try the natural or herbal teas...

2) If you just HAVE TO have spicy food, take a Zantac 30 minutes before eating.....it will cut down on the acid BEFORE it builds up.

The test that Iowanian is referring to, an Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (or EDG for short), isn't any fun...especially when they don't give you enough medicine to knock you out....and you feel that tube going down your throat...and then wait till they decide that your Esophagus has closed a little and decide to inflate said hose to stretch out aforementioned esophagus....which means you can only pretty much have liquids for about 4 days......then they tell you to eat yogurt after every meal for 3 weeks to help develop "good" bacteria to overtake the "bad" bacteria.....

I'm not sure how bad the pain is for you, but one thing you might also check is your gall bladder....if your pain starts in your back and radiates to the chest are, have them do a Sonogram.....you might find that you have gallstones which also cause bad reflux.......if you have gall stones then there is a good chance you might have Cholecystitis...or Cholelithiasis

mmaddog

Miles
11-02-2004, 01:11 AM
The new rolaids soft chews are working for me. No crappy taste just eat a couple and it seems to get better.

I use vanilla.

I looked for em at wallgreens last week but they didnt have em for some reason. Good to hear they are better than the chalk tabs...I really need to get some to carry in my backpack.

Fairplay
11-02-2004, 01:14 AM
I had heartburn this afternoon, and diarrhea, stomach cramps. I was miserable.
The gf wanted to go to this chinese buffet she likes. After we ate and got home i was cramping, running to the bathroom.
I told her i can't handle that place anymore,sorry.
I have a problem with greasy food in general. I can have a few bites of long john silvers and i get the same reaction.

Mosbonian
11-02-2004, 01:14 AM
As an FYI......once I had the removal of my gall bladder done, my reflux pretty much dissapated....the only time I ever have it now is if I eat something spicy or drink a soda or eat chocolate late at night....usually happens to me on a business trip to the West Coast where I usually end up eating dinner at what my body things is 2 hours later....

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-02-2004, 01:17 AM
The gf wanted to go to this chinese buffet she likes. After we ate and got home i was cramping, running to the bathroom.
I have a problem with greasy food in general. I can have a few bites of long john silvers and i get the same reaction.

It's the MSG's that they use at most Chinese restaurants....it acts like a laxative....like using wax paper to go down a steel sliding board.....

It shoots right thru you...If I ever eat Chinese I make sure that I am within 15 feet of a bathroom sometime around 10 minutes after I finish eating...

mmaddog

Michael Michigan
11-02-2004, 01:31 AM

At that point...chug pepto like its beer.

Michael Michigan
11-02-2004, 01:31 AM
I looked for em at wallgreens last week but they didnt have em for some reason. Good to hear they are better than the chalk tabs...I really need to get some to carry in my backpack.

I didn't think they would work, and it usually takes two, but they are worth it.

Wal-Mart has 'em.

Fairplay
11-02-2004, 01:34 AM
It's the MSG's that they use at most Chinese restaurants....it acts like a laxative....like using wax paper to go down a steel sliding board.....

It shoots right thru you...If I ever eat Chinese I make sure that I am within 15 feet of a bathroom sometime around 10 minutes after I finish eating...

mmaddog

Your'e right. I forgot those chinese put that crap in our food.

I read an interesting article about margerine. I'll try to dig it up. But trust me, im buying butter from here on out. I will say to watch your intake of either one you choose to buy, for sure. One of the things it suggested to do, to show how bad it was is to take a chunk of the margerine and put it in a corner of your garage somewhere. Check up on it a few days later. Any food product you would do that to some insects would find and eat on. Nothing will touch it.
I did that. Going on 2 weeks now. Nothing has ate on it.

chief4life
11-02-2004, 08:42 AM
This will sound nasty. But take a teaspoon of vinegar. And get on some enzimes and you should be good to go. Your body might not have enough acid and vinegar is pure acid. But if you do that have something close like choclate to get rid of the taste

Iowanian
11-02-2004, 09:06 AM
I forgot a couple of other things they'll tell you......

cut down on stress.
No food or drink 4hrs before bed.

Mmdog.......the endoscope is a cakewalk compared to the "manometry".....it suks baows for sure.....at least the 40 minutes of failed attempts sucks. I'll be run through the gauntlet of this crap again soon enough.

seclark
11-02-2004, 09:15 AM
any/all test and meds are a lot better than passing out in a crowded parking lot, puking and shitting blood all over the place.

been treating ulcers for 20+ years.
sec

Mosbonian
11-02-2004, 12:58 PM
I forgot a couple of other things they'll tell you......

cut down on stress.
No food or drink 4hrs before bed.

Mmdog.......the endoscope is a cakewalk compared to the "manometry".....it suks baows for sure.....at least the 40 minutes of failed attempts sucks. I'll be run through the gauntlet of this crap again soon enough.

Iowanian:

I was lucky.....it only took the one EDG and the "inflater" to stretch my Esoph back to normal.....They would have to pull a "Mr. T" on me to get that damn telephone pole in me for the "manometry".....

I feel for you if you have to have that done......

mmaddog

chiefs4me
11-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Prilosec OTC works wonders

BucsGirl
11-02-2004, 01:31 PM
bakeing soda 1 ts in 1/2 c.water

Lzen
11-02-2004, 02:34 PM
prilosec?

zantac?

"better living through chemistry"... :D

For me, prilosec is very bad. Tried it once (wel, it was the prescription generic version) and gave me the runs bad.

Iowanian's situation sounds like mine. I used to take Tums all the time when I was early 20s. Then, in about the mid 90s, they came out with Zantac and Pepcid AC. I took Pepcid for a lot of years and it worked pretty well. But even it didn't always work 100%. Plus, you still had to wait 30 minutes or so until it kicked in.

About 2-3 years ago, I had the doctor take a look. He said I have acid reflux or another name for it is GERD (gastro something reflux disease). He recommended I have an endoscopy. For those that don't know, that's where they put a tube down your throat with a little camera and check out the lining of your esophagus and stomach. Doc said the severity of my case of acid reflux was about a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. So, now I take a prescription medicine called Acephex. It's like Nexium(the purple pill) or Prevacid.

Miles, you should go ask your doctor about that. You may have acid reflux disease. Doc told me that if I let my condition go without taking medication, it is possible that it could turn cancerous. Something they call Barrett's Esophagus. It doesn't hurt to go see the doc.

Lzen
11-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Lord, why?

I know what you mean. A couple weeks ago, I let the kids talk me into taking them to Long John Silvers. I haven't been there in a very long time and now I remember why. I dropped a hush puppy on my lap. There was a grease stain on my jeans. That is sick. I will never eat at that shithole again. :shake:

Iowanian
11-02-2004, 02:53 PM
LZ,

I got a hole in my esoph at 17.......barfed everything.......and I mean everything for over a month.....had an unpleasant surgery to keep from croaking..........still had trouble........had my GallBlad out 5 years ago and that helped..........had a scope a month ago............and attempted the above mentioned test.........It basically felt like someone scratching your brain with a coat hanger while shoving their thumb down your throat.

I'm heading to Mayo soon for some tests and stuff, maybe a "Fix"...........

I need to do something.........Helping a buddy roof a couple of weeks ago, ate some chicken soup, got back up there, bent down to pick up the tater fork and soup came out my nose.........

I've tried almost every drug available, and was a guinee pig for some of the early ones......some work, some don't, some have side affects.

Now I'm on Protonix........it seems to help, but isn't curing the gastritis, and gives me mild insomnia. I like it better than nexium

It would be nice to be able to enjoy a beer.

Lzen
11-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Ok, mine isn't as bad as yours. But I meant that mine stated about the same time and I've gone through years of pain and suffering from it.
As for the tube down the throat, I didn't have a problem with it because I was out like a sleeping wino. It was kinda funny when I woke up. I told the doctor a story about how the nurse had messed up my IV right before the procedure and I was bleeding all over the place. The wife tells me that I told the doctor that story about 4 or 5 times.

Lzen
11-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Now I'm on Protonix........it seems to help, but isn't curing the gastritis, and gives me mild insomnia. I like it better than nexium

It would be nice to be able to enjoy a beer.

The PPIs I've tried are Protonix, Prevacid, Acephex, and the generic Prilosec. All but Prilosec have worked well for me. I went with Acephex because it was the cheapest for me as far as what my insurance would cover (for those that don't realize, each of those pills that you take daily costs about 3-4 bucks - good thing for me that insurance covers most of that). Although lately it seems that Acephex is only working about 85-90%. That's way better than nothing but, I think one of the others might be better now.

Inspector
11-02-2004, 05:03 PM
My great grandmother used a home remedy that I can remember from when I was a kid. She was in her late 80's at the time.

Being from southern Missouri with some hill folks in her ancestry, she learned to depend on home remedies way before going to a drug store.

She had a particular plant that her family had grown for many generations that they used for nausea, heartburn, antacids, and even pain relief like headaches, etc.

She would grow this stuff in her garden and occasionally cut off some, let it dry, and then when she needed relief, she would actually smoke it in a corn cob pipe.

Too bad our government would take your home and destroy your life if you used her home remedy today.

My advice - move to Alaska and maybe soon you wouldn't have to worry about heartburn anymore.

Fairplay
11-02-2004, 05:24 PM
My great grandmother used a home remedy that I can remember from when I was a kid. She was in her late 80's at the time.
She would grow this stuff in her garden and occasionally cut off some, let it dry, and then when she needed relief, she would actually smoke it in a corn cob pipe.

You grandma smokes hemp too? Cool. I bet she can grow some good stuff. I always get the muchies afterwards.
Don't let those cops find your stash!

Sure-Oz
11-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Iowanian, best of luck to you i had surgery almost 2 years ago for my achalasia, your esophugus problems remind me of what i had, im so glad those days are over, even though it seems once a month i go through the motions. Heartburn absolutely kills me when it happens as well. I carry tums and protonix. I eat those like candy at times.

Goodluck with your health man.

Inspector
11-02-2004, 06:21 PM
You grandma smokes hemp too? Cool. I bet she can grow some good stuff. I always get the muchies afterwards.

Gramdma died in the late 60's. We had no idea what the plant was called. (Although I can still remember her occasionally using it medicinally - she was a real bible thumper, tea toler kind of person)

My grandfather (her son) figured it out when we were getting ready to sell her house.

"Here's Gramma's heartburn medicine, still growing wild. Wait a minute. Look at this. You know what this is???"

Then we figured it out. She would roll in her grave if she knew she was breaking the law. She was no rebel hippie.

She would also probably whack you over the head if you suggested that you should dictate to her how to medicate herself. She was a true American and would not stand for someone else to tell her how to live her life or what to do to her own body.

For me, no worries about stash being found as I never developed a heartburn problem. However, even though I don't touch any kind of heartburn medicine, I would defend your right to medicate yourself any way you choose - as long as you don't hurt anyone else or anyone else's property.

My great grandmother is actually part of my inspiration for strongly supporting the Libertarian party. (uh-oh - stay away from politics in this forum....)

Over-Head
11-02-2004, 07:39 PM

Here's an oldie but a goodie for grand ma

Jim Stafford - Wildwood Weed

The wildwood flower grew wild on the farm,
And we never knowed what it was called.
Some said it was a flower and some said it was weed,
I never gave it much thought ......
One day I was out there talking to my brother,
Reached down for a weed to chew on,
Things got fuzzy and things got blurry,
And then everything was gone!
...(Didn't know what happened,
But I knew it beat the hell out of sniffin' burlap.)

I come to and my brother was there,
And he said, What's wrong with your eyes?
I said, I don't know, I was chewing on a weed.
He said, Let me give it a try.
We spent the rest of that day and most of that night,
Trying to find my brother, Bill.
Caught up with him, 'bout six o'clock the next morning,
Naked, swinging on the wind mill!
...(He said he flew up there.
I had to fly up there and bring him down,
He was about half crazy .....)

The very next day we picked a bunch of them weeds,
And put 'em in the sun to dry.
Then we mashed 'em up and chopped 'em up,
And put 'em in the corncob pipe.
Smokin' that wildwood flower got to be a habit,
We didn't see no harm.
We thought it was kind of handy,
Take a trip and never leave the farm!

All good things gotta come to an end,
And it's the same with the wildwood weed.
One day this feller from Washington came by,
And he spied it and turned white as a sheet.
Then they dug and they burned,
And they burned and they dug,
And they killed all our cute little weeds.
Then they drove away, ....

We just smiled and waved ..........
Sittin' there on that sack of seeds!

Y'all come back now, hear?

Iowanian
11-03-2004, 11:24 AM
IT could have easily been Peppermint plants.......its been an herbal antacid for a long time.

Being from southern Missouri with some hill folks in her ancestry, she learned to depend on home remedies way before going to a drug store.

She had a particular plant that her family had grown for many generations that they used for nausea, heartburn, antacids, and even pain relief like headaches, etc.

Too bad our government would take your home and destroy your life if you used her home remedy today.

My advice - move to Alaska and maybe soon you wouldn't have to worry about heartburn anymore.

Lzen
11-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Over-Head,
That's pretty funny. Wonder if he was talking about payote or marijuana. ROFL