PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Online: Galloway Practicing But Very Questionable, Griese Confident Against KC

DaWolf
11-02-2004, 03:39 AM
Galloway Practicing But 'Very Questionable' Vs. K.C.

By ROY CUMMINGS rcummings@tampatrib.com
Published: Nov 1, 2004

TAMPA - The target date is March 2005.
Ashlee Simpson's lip-syncing gaffe on ``Saturday Night Live'' still will be fresh in your mind, but if all goes according to plan the nagging pain in Joey Galloway's left groin finally will be forgotten by then.

That's his hope, anyway. There's no guarantee. When you're waiting for your groin muscle to complete the process of reattaching itself to the bone, the slightest misstep can set you back weeks, even months.

That's why you're unlikely to see Galloway in the lineup Sunday when the Bucs take on the Chiefs at Raymond James Stadium. Though the Bucs are eager to get Galloway back on the field, Galloway doesn't seem completely ready to return.

``His status is very much in limbo,'' Bucs coach Jon Gruden said of Galloway, who injured his groin for the second time since training camp when he fell trying to make a touchdown catch in the season opener at Washington.

``We're pleased to have Joey out here moving around [in practice],'' Gruden said, ``but he's still somewhat methodical, and the chances of him playing in this game are probably very, very questionable.''

The chances of Galloway playing pain-free at any point this season are very, very questionable. But Galloway seems willing to play with some pain as long as he doesn't risk doing further damage to himself.

``I think it will [nag me] for the remainder of this season,'' Galloway said. ``When I run and do things out here it still hurts, and that's just going to be part of it.

``When the trainers and I decide it's ready to go, I'll be out there full blast. But it's going to probably be six months before it's going to be normal again, so up until then you just have to deal with the pain.''

What's surprising to some is that the loss of Galloway has not been more painful for the Bucs offense. Galloway is the only real deep threat the Bucs have, but lately his absence hasn't short-circuited their attack.

Though they averaged just 12.25 points and 193.5 passing yards per game during their 0-4 start, the Bucs have won two of three since and averaged 20 points and 237 passing yards per game.

Most of the improvement is attributable to quarterback Brian Griese. Since he replaced an injured Chris Simms three weeks ago, Griese has completed 70.7 percent of his passes and produced a 104.9 rating.

And there's some reason to believe he can continue to perform at a high level Sunday. Griese has completed more than 64 percent of his passes while winning his past three starts against the Chiefs.

``They're a team that takes a lot of chances defensively,'' said Griese, who with Denver threw for an average of 264 yards per game during his personal winning streak against Kansas City.

``They have a lot of confidence in their offense and in the amount of points they can score, so they can take some chances on defense, and I think [Sunday's] game against Indianapolis is a great example of that.''

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning threw for 472 yards and five touchdowns against the Chiefs on Sunday, but a late interception allowed Kansas City to secure a 45-35 victory.

It was Kansas City's second win in as many outings, and they've scored 101 points in doing it.

So it appears the Bucs will have to put together one of their best offensive efforts just to keep pace with the Chiefs. That won't be easy with Galloway likely sitting on the sideline.

Add the fact fellow wideout Charles Lee remains questionable and will likely miss the game with a knee injury, and the prospects of the Bucs winning a shootout with the Chiefs seem even dimmer.

Nevertheless, Griese said he's confident the Bucs can keep up with Kansas City.

``It's a challenge offensively, but I know going into the game in St. Louis we were excited about the opportunity to go up against that offense, and I think our team responded well,'' Griese said.

``Obviously we didn't win the game, but I think that was a confidence-builder for us. Hopefully we can do a little bit of the same as far as moving the ball this week.''

link (http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBDGWOB11E.html)

teedubya
11-02-2004, 03:42 AM
man, that would suck to have a groin injury like that... hard to have sex I bet...

Bob Dole
11-02-2004, 05:30 AM
Colts quarterback Peyton Manning threw for 472 yards and five touchdowns against the Chiefs on Sunday, but a late interception allowed Kansas City to secure a 45-35 victory.

Well that, and the fact that we <b>LED FOR THE LAST 3 QUARTERS</b>.

Mile High Mania
11-02-2004, 07:22 AM
The Bucs have some nice players ... I think KC will win, but this is a team that could jump up and bite ya.

TEX
11-02-2004, 07:56 AM
The Bucs have some nice players ... I think KC will win, but this is a team that could jump up and bite ya.

Kind of like Houston? :hmmm:

TEX
11-02-2004, 07:58 AM
Wasn't Griese's 3 game winning streak against The CHIEFS when the DC who shall remain nameless was running things? :hmmm:

HC_Chief
11-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Kind of like Houston? :hmmm:

Gawd, had to bring that game up, didn't ya? :p
The days of KC handing out victories like Halloween candy are over... they HAVE to be. The margin of error is now the razor's edge.

Bwana
11-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Gries-e, the donks throw away. *YAWN*

ROYC75
11-02-2004, 08:48 AM
All I can say is, Griese does get hot from time to time, he has been hot prior to the bye week. I hope his run is over, that defense is capable of slowing KC down. With this in mind, an on target Griese can make this game very difficult.

This game is going to be tough on the road, we have every reason to be concerned. The Bucs have looked much different and much improved the last 3 games.

Braincase
11-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Gunther just chewed the stuffing out of another orange rag doll.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Gawd, had to bring that game up, didn't ya? :p
The days of KC handing out victories like Halloween candy are over... they HAVE to be. The margin of error is now the razor's edge.

I think he was referring to the upcoming Denver/Houston game :hmmm:

Spott
11-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Galloway won't be playing, and he wouldn't be a factor if he did. The only receiver they need to really worry about is Michael Clayton. Alstott is out for a while, also.

el borracho
11-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Wasn't Griese's 3 game winning streak against The CHIEFS when the DC who shall remain nameless was running things? :hmmm:

... and therefore irrelevant to the upcoming game? Yep. I don't know who this was written for but I would imagine that even Griese knows the difference a defensive coordinator makes.

bringbackmarty
11-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Looking at tampa bay the thing that sticks out is the d-line is a little bit small, mcfarland and the other guy are both three hundred even, rice is under three, and spires is only like 265. derrick brooks is a good lb, and they will be tempted to blitz him. Ronde has two int ret. for td's, so get ready for another week of screen and gut. with some Tony G, Johnny, Dante when they blitz, especially Tony in the red zone. We will run all over there ass I have a feeling. It is the chiefs game to win or lose.