PDA

View Full Version : VOTE-VOTE-VOTE-VOTE!!!!!!!

CASHMAN
11-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Everyone get out there and do there AMERICAN DUTY & VOTE!!!!!

CASHMAN.

chief52
11-02-2004, 08:53 AM
I am off to vote. Polls open in 8 minutes here. You could not keep me from the polls.

teedubya
11-02-2004, 08:54 AM
in true american fashion... Im gonna smoke a joint before voting.... I gotta watch the hanging chads though. :bong:

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-02-2004, 08:58 AM
I'm from Illinois. I plan on voting 6 to 10 times.

:D

:thumb:

seclark
11-02-2004, 09:07 AM
i'm in...number 75 at 7:15.
sec

Donger
11-02-2004, 09:09 AM
For myself, I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way. On Election Day, I stay home. two reasons:first of all, voting is meaningless;this country was bought and paid for a long time ago.That empty shit they shuffle around and repackage every four years doesn't mean a thing. Second, I don't vote, because I firmly beleive that if you vote, you have no right to complain. I know some people like to twist that around and say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.'But where's the logic in that? Think it through: if you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they screw things up, then you are responsible for what they've done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote-who, in fact, did not even leave the house on election Day-am in no way responsible for what these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created. Which I had nothing to do with. Why can't people see that?

I had no idea you were so cynical.

Iowanian
11-02-2004, 09:12 AM
If you don't vote, you lose the right to biatch about everything for the next 4 years.

Mark M
11-02-2004, 09:17 AM
IMHO, it's pathetic that so few people vote in this country. I think it has to do with several factors:

1.) They take it for granted, even though thousands -- if not millions -- have died over the centuries to ensure their right to elect their leaders.

2.) The politics of personal destruction have soured everyone on the process. Instead of actually discussing issues, all we get are distorted facts and flat-out lies.

3.) The people from whom we can choose all suck. Those that really could make a difference don't want to bother due to point number 2.

4.) They feel as though, no matter whom they elect, it won't matter -- we'll still get nothing but douche bags.

With all that said, I'll be voting right after work (will probably leave a bit early). Once I'm done with that, I'm playing some Madden -- I have no desire to watch all of the crap.

MM
~~:shake:

P.S. Memo to ENDelt: That may be your opinion, but it's wrong ... ya frickin idiot. :p

FAX
11-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Mr. ENDelt. Forgive me, but you are wrong. It is every responsible person's obligation to vote. Please reconsider your position.

Non-voters do impact elections ... by their absence.
Best,

FAX

gblowfish
11-02-2004, 09:48 AM
For myself, I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way. On Election Day, I stay home. two reasons:first of all, voting is meaningless;this country was bought and paid for a long time ago.That empty shit they shuffle around and repackage every four years doesn't mean a thing. Second, I don't vote, because I firmly beleive that if you vote, you have no right to complain. I know some people like to twist that around and say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain.'But where's the logic in that? Think it through: if you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they screw things up, then you are responsible for what they've done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote-who, in fact, did not even leave the house on election Day-am in no way responsible for what these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess you created. Which I had nothing to do with. Why can't people see that?
I respect your feeling. I know lots of people feel that way, and yes the system has major problems on both sides with candidates financially beholden to people who paid to put them in office. But I voted today, and vote in every election. I owe that to my dad, who fought in Korea to give me the right to vote, and to my uncle, who fought in WWII to give me the right to vote, and to my neighbor in the Missouri Guard Reserve who's in Iraq right now, protecting my right to vote.

Educate yourself to the candidates, take some time to study the issues, honor the sacrafice of those who gave the full measure to keep our country free, take time to vote, and God Bless America!

MichaelH
11-02-2004, 10:08 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

To me, it doesn't matter if a Republican or a Democrat gets in office. The National debt WILL NOT go down, the economy won't take an immediate and drastic turn-around. Until a politician has to pay their own bills, drive their kids to daycare before they step foot into their cushy job, do their own grocery shopping , pay for gas and pay into Social Security just like every other American, will I vote.

chiefs4me
11-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Dropped my sons off at school this morning and I was 3rd in line, hardly anybody at my polling place, they must of all voted early.

jAZ
11-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Voted by mail last week... :thumb:

ChiefsFanatik88
11-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Everyone get out there and do there AMERICAN DUTY & VOTE!!!!!

CASHMAN.

They both suck @ss. Taxpayers are gonna get screwed no matter who is in there, so why bother?

Demonpenz
11-02-2004, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=CASHMAN]Everyone get out there and do there AMERICAN DUTY & VOTE!!!!!

Hey do you have a link so i can vote?

ChiefsFanatik88
11-02-2004, 10:42 AM
If you don't vote, you lose the right to biatch about everything for the next 4 years.

Well thanks to American soldiers that fought for the freedom for my right to vote, I have a choice to vote or not to vote.
So if I want to biatch about whomever gets in the oval office I have the freedom to do so.

Maybe your refering to another country that does not have this freedom?

Saulbadguy
11-02-2004, 10:49 AM
You stole that from George Carlin, but I pretty much agree. I'm having second thoughts today. I didn't vote in the 2000 election, and i'm still wondering if I should vote today. I probably will but just for our local elections. The Presidential vote to me right now does not matter, as Kansas goes to Bush.

I have yet to hear someone produce a good argument on why I should vote. My vote for POTUS does not count.

Demonpenz
11-02-2004, 10:50 AM
puff daddy just called me to vote, this one's for the
B
I
G

Mark M
11-02-2004, 10:51 AM
I have yet to hear someone produce a good argument on why I should vote. My vote for POTUS does not count.

Considering some votes come down to only a few hundred on one side or the other, it does count.

There's also strength in numbers.

For example: If 20 million people think as you do, then you're right -- it doesn't count.

But if those same 20 million decide to get off of their lazy freaking asses and vote, then it DOES count.

Granted, choosing between Kerry and Bush is like choosing who you want to do your root canal: Stevie Wonder, or someone with Parkinson's disease -- either way it'll suck ass.

MM
~~:)

Saulbadguy
11-02-2004, 10:54 AM
Considering some votes come down to only a few hundred on one side or the other, it does count.

There's also strength in numbers.

For example: If 20 million people think as you do, then you're right -- it doesn't count.

But if those same 20 million decide to get off of their lazy freaking asses and vote, then it DOES count.

Granted, choosing between Kerry and Bush is like choosing who you want to do your root canal: Stevie Wonder, or someone with Parkinson's disease -- either way it'll suck ass.

MM
~~:)
The problem is Kansas only houses 2 million people, not 20 million. The other problem is the majority of them are conservative republicans. I seriously doubt that if all of the people eligible to vote voted, Kerry would win. I'll still most likely vote today after work, but I have no idea why. (except for local elections)

Mark M
11-02-2004, 10:56 AM
The problem is Kansas only houses 2 million people, not 20 million. The other problem is the majority of them are conservative republicans. I seriously doubt that if all of the people eligible to vote voted, Kerry would win. I'll still most likely vote today after work, but I have no idea why. (except for local elections)

My fault ... my example was not just KS, but the entire nation.

Here's a hypothetical: What if the candidate you don't want wins by only one vote? What if your vote could've made the difference? What then?

MM
~~:hmmm:

Saulbadguy
11-02-2004, 10:58 AM
My fault ... my example was not just KS, but the entire nation.

Here's a hypothetical: What if the candidate you don't want wins by only one vote? What if your vote could've made the difference? What then?

MM
~~:hmmm:
Thats a huge hypothetical. I don't ever see that happening in Kansas, in my lifetime.

But, the entire nation doesn't really matter. If Kerry wins the popular vote but loses the EC, Bush wins the election. Again, in all scenarios my vote does not matter.

Demonpenz
11-02-2004, 10:59 AM
i wonder if you go in the voting booth and clean the cookies, if you can vote more than once

Wrasse
11-02-2004, 11:01 AM
Voted last week.

** loves being able to vote early with less crowds **

Mark M
11-02-2004, 11:03 AM
Thats a huge hypothetical. I don't ever see that happening in Kansas, in my lifetime.

While you are probably right, there is absolutely no way to prove that. If all of the people who felt like you actually voted, rather than just giving up, then maybe things would be different.

But, the entire nation doesn't really matter. If Kerry wins the popular vote but loses the EC, Bush wins the election. Again, in all scenarios my vote does not matter.
There is a flaw in your logic: If more people voted, then the PotUS could receive BOTH the popular election AND the EC.

Instead, people such as yourself simply give up and say "My vote doesn't count. Why bother?" If people like you actually voted, then their vote WOULD count. Instead, there are millions of people who say their vote doesn't count -- well, of course it won't if you don't frickin' do it!

Am I explaining this correctly? A little help from someone else?

MM
~~:shrug:

Devin Vierth
11-02-2004, 11:19 AM
If your not voting republican, then stay the hell home or move to France and help the U.S by screwing up that piece of crap country even more.

......message delivered with a bit of sarcasam.....but only a bit.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
While you are probably right, there is absolutely no way to prove that. If all of the people who felt like you actually voted, rather than just giving up, then maybe things would be different.

There is no way to absolutely prove you are right, but i'll lean towards my opinion, and you to yours. :)

There is a flaw in your logic: If more people voted, then the PotUS could receive BOTH the popular election AND the EC.

Again, if my vote mattered on a NATIONAL level, your "if more people voted" mantra would make a difference to me. If I lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, etc...of course my vote would make a difference, along with many others who don't feel like voting.

Instead, people such as yourself simply give up and say "My vote doesn't count. Why bother?" If people like you actually voted, then their vote WOULD count. Instead, there are millions of people who say their vote doesn't count -- well, of course it won't if you don't frickin' do it!

Of course. But again, apply this to my situation in Kansas. If EVERYONE voted in Kansas (2.6 some million people), it still could swing Republican, and probably would. Its a state that historically goes to the GOP, no matter what. I highly doubt if every single person voted in Kansas, it would go Democrat. Of course, like above, I have no way of proving this.

Dartgod
11-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Vote? What, is there some sort of election today? I completely missed it...

Mark M
11-02-2004, 12:17 PM
There is no way to absolutely prove you are right, but i'll lean towards my opinion, and you to yours. :)

Again, if my vote mattered on a NATIONAL level, your "if more people voted" mantra would make a difference to me. If I lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa, etc...of course my vote would make a difference, along with many others who don't feel like voting.

Of course. But again, apply this to my situation in Kansas. If EVERYONE voted in Kansas (2.6 some million people), it still could swing Republican, and probably would. Its a state that historically goes to the GOP, no matter what. I highly doubt if every single person voted in Kansas, it would go Democrat. Of course, like above, I have no way of proving this.

Ahhh ... I finally see what you're getting at. (Sorry. Haven't had much sleep with the baby waking up every 2 frickin' hours).

If they'd just trash the EC -- or even split the EC votes to better reflect the true vote, rather than the "all or nothing" way it currently stands -- then every vote would matter a whole helluva lot more.

MM
~~:thumb:

Mark M
11-02-2004, 12:18 PM

Actually, you don't get to vote until tomorrow.

MM
~~:p

Fairplay
11-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Heh... my post was a George Carlin bit. Thought it would be recognized... thought I'd seen it on here before.

I thought it was funny people were taking you seriously anyway.

Saulbadguy
11-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Ahhh ... I finally see what you're getting at. (Sorry. Haven't had much sleep with the baby waking up every 2 frickin' hours).

If they'd just trash the EC -- or even split the EC votes to better reflect the true vote, rather than the "all or nothing" way it currently stands -- then every vote would matter a whole helluva lot more.

MM
IMO if they trashed EC and went with the popular vote, Democrats would win everytime.

Fairplay
11-02-2004, 12:22 PM

Duct tape.

Mark M
11-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Duct tape.

I don't think that'll make it through the bottle very well.

MM
~~:spock:

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Hey, Delt. 6 pack of Guiness if you vote for Bush.

:p

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:14 PM
in true american fashion... Im gonna smoke a joint before voting.... I gotta watch the hanging chads though. :bong:
Just don't get them Chads pregnant.

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:16 PM
IMHO, it's pathetic that so few people vote in this country. I think it has to do with several factors:

1.) They take it for granted, even though thousands -- if not millions -- have died over the centuries to ensure their right to elect their leaders.

2.) The politics of personal destruction have soured everyone on the process. Instead of actually discussing issues, all we get are distorted facts and flat-out lies.

3.) The people from whom we can choose all suck. Those that really could make a difference don't want to bother due to point number 2.

4.) They feel as though, no matter whom they elect, it won't matter -- we'll still get nothing but douche bags.

With all that said, I'll be voting right after work (will probably leave a bit early). Once I'm done with that, I'm playing some Madden -- I have no desire to watch all of the crap.

MM
~~:shake:

P.S. Memo to ENDelt: That may be your opinion, but it's wrong ... ya frickin idiot. :p
Please rename reason #3 as Taco John reason.

Dave Lane
11-02-2004, 01:18 PM

Reasons like this are why we have nitwits in office now. Their supporters do vote.

Dave

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:19 PM

If you could get all the Cows and Chickens to vote, it might go Democrat. :p

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

Don't mess it up man, get out of this thread immediately.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
You stole that from George Carlin, but I pretty much agree. I'm having second thoughts today. I didn't vote in the 2000 election, and i'm still wondering if I should vote today. I probably will but just for our local elections. The Presidential vote to me right now does not matter, as Kansas goes to Bush.

With that attitude you're part of the problem. Who cares if you're the only vote your candidate gets in Kansas...at least you kept it from being a clean sweep.

FWIW my mother, father, two brothers, sister and brother-in-law, as well as a few good friends in Kansas are voting for Kerry.... so you won't be totally alone. Don't let them down.

:thumb:

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
IMO if they trashed EC and went with the popular vote, Democrats would win everytime.
And they candidates wouldn't give a damn about local politics in Missouri or Kansas or Iowa for that matter.

BucsGirl
11-02-2004, 01:29 PM
This is the first time I have voted...I feel I have done my part...
as I see it I just want the best for everyone what ever that might :thumb:

teedubya
11-02-2004, 01:31 PM
BucsGirl... yuo are gonna be sad Sunday evening!!!!!11!11

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-02-2004, 01:31 PM
This is the first time I have voted...I feel I have done my part...
as I see it I just want the best for everyone what ever that might :thumb:
Your country thanks you!

rep.

BIG_DADDY
11-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Your country thanks you!

rep.

Good god your a tard.

Mark M
11-02-2004, 01:39 PM
And they candidates wouldn't give a damn about local politics in Missouri or Kansas or Iowa for that matter.

Kinda like they don't in Idaho, or Utah, or Montana, or Wyoming, or Alaska, or Hawaii, or any other state with hardly any electoral votes?

MM
~~:shrug:

RedNFeisty
11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
I did - I did - I did - I did!!!!!!!

RedNFeisty
11-02-2004, 01:52 PM

I spent over an hour waiting to vote. I did not realize voting could actually be fun. As for Kansas being a republican state, before today I would have agreed. While spending my time waiting to vote, I struck up a conversation with the old man sitting next me, within 5 minutes the whole place was talking and we were discussing who we were voting for. I also thought at one point talking about who you are going to vote for was taboo, not one person in my voting center had a problem saying they were going to vote for Kerry. A few people said they would like to vote for Nader but they knew that vote would more or less help Bush.

This was my first time voting, I use to have the mindset that voting was no big deal and that the government was bought anyway. I do not feel that way any longer. This election has opened my eyes to so much. Not that people will ever agree, that would be way to easy but, the uproar that has been caused by this election, and the fact that it has brought out so many people that would normally not vote, is telling me that perhaps we do make a difference.

Dartgod
11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

Don't mess it up man, get out of this thread immediately.

I don't know. My curiosity is piqued. I may head over to that Washington DC forum. Maybe they can explain what's going on over there.

Scorp
11-02-2004, 03:05 PM
I have never voted. The reason I have never voted is quite simple. All that really matters is the electorial votes. Since I live in Kansas, and we only have 2 electorial votes and they are both republican........... my vote doesn't count.

I am right about this.......... right? Pretty sure that is the way it works.

I think the most popular vote should win, and do away with electorial votes. Just my 2 cents. :harumph:

BIG_DADDY
11-02-2004, 03:15 PM
I spent over an hour waiting to vote. I did not realize voting could actually be fun. As for Kansas being a republican state, before today I would have agreed. While spending my time waiting to vote, I struck up a conversation with the old man sitting next me, within 5 minutes the whole place was talking and we were discussing who we were voting for. I also thought at one point talking about who you are going to vote for was taboo, not one person in my voting center had a problem saying they were going to vote for Kerry. A few people said they would like to vote for Nader but they knew that vote would more or less help Bush.

This was my first time voting, I use to have the mindset that voting was no big deal and that the government was bought anyway. I do not feel that way any longer. This election has opened my eyes to so much. Not that people will ever agree, that would be way to easy but, the uproar that has been caused by this election, and the fact that it has brought out so many people that would normally not vote, is telling me that perhaps we do make a difference.

Anyone dumb enough to vote for Nader should be gutted immediatly after admitting it.

RedNFeisty
11-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Anyone dumb enough to vote for Nader should be gutted immediatly after admitting it.

Tell us more of what you think!! ROFL

Calcountry
11-02-2004, 04:17 PM
I don't know. My curiosity is piqued. I may head over to that Washington DC forum. Maybe they can explain what's going on over there.
Don't do it man, you'll be sorry. :p

jAZ
11-02-2004, 04:28 PM
I have never voted. The reason I have never voted is quite simple. All that really matters is the electorial votes. Since I live in Kansas, and we only have 2 electorial votes and they are both republican........... my vote doesn't count.

I think the most popular vote should win, and do away with electorial votes. Just my 2 cents. :harumph:
Wholly wrong...

Kansas is traditionally a Red (Republican) state, but no state has less than 3 electoral votes. They are assigned by the number of federal Congressional Representatives from the state. One for each Senator (2 in every state) and one for each House Representative (Kansas has 4).

So Kansas has a total of 6 electoral votes.
http://www.fec.gov/pages/elecvote.htm

If Bush wins the popular vote in Kansas (which is expected as Kansas is typically Republican), he is awarded all 6 electoral votes.

Same thing happens in each state (ie, Florida has a total of 27 (2 Senators and 25 House Representatives). If Kerry wins the popular vote in Florida he is awarded all 27 electoral votes.

The first candidate to accumulate a majority of electoral votes (270+) wins.

Hope that helps.

jAZ
11-02-2004, 04:54 PM

Wholly wrong...

Kansas is traditionally a Red (Republican) state, but no state has less than 3 electoral votes. They are assigned by the number of federal Congressional Representatives from the state. One for each Senator (2 in every state) and one for each House Representative (Kansas has 4).

So Kansas has a total of 6 electoral votes.
http://www.fec.gov/pages/elecvote.htm

If Bush wins the popular vote in Kansas (which is expected as Kansas is typically Republican), he is awarded all 6 electoral votes.

Same thing happens in each state (ie, Florida has a total of 27 (2 Senators and 25 House Representatives). If Kerry wins the popular vote in Florida he is awarded all 27 electoral votes.

The first candidate to accumulate a majority of electoral votes (270+) wins.

Hope that helps.

Boozer
11-02-2004, 05:01 PM
How did they pick red for republican and blue for democrat?

Beats me. IIRC (which I probably don't), there wasn't a uniform color scheme among the various maps (i.e., some has the GOP red, others had the GOP blue) prior to 2000.

REDHOTGTO
11-02-2004, 05:03 PM
voted for BUSH right after breakfast

Skip Towne
11-02-2004, 05:25 PM
How did they pick red for republican and blue for democrat?
They voted.

FAX
11-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Mr, ENDelt, port is "red" wine. "Port" is the nautical term for "Left". Democrats are "Left" of center.

Blue is merely a complimentary color.

Best,

FAX

Fairplay
11-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Mr, ENDelt, port is "red" wine. "Port" is the nautical term for "Left". FAX

Endelt isn't a :thailor: