PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts after a brief respite...

Gaz
11-02-2004, 08:28 AM
The Chiefs O kept piling on points, even after another ill-timed fumble by Holmes. Heavy on the ground, but still taking advantage of the Colts pass D for several very nice pass plays. I was horrified when they did not move the ball after the 2nd half kickoff. I admit that “oh crap, here we go again” was running through my mind. But they got it together again and continued piling on the points. An aside: please stop diving in the air, Holmes. We need you and a broken neck will severely hinder your performance.

The Chiefs D did what was asked of them. Despite all the frantic audible adjustments at the LOS, they got in Manning’s face and head and slowed the Colts down enough to let the Offense rack up a nice lead by halftime. Gunther disguised his blitzes fairly well. Guys often showed blitz and then dropped back as someone else went after the pencil neck. Kudos to Warfield for sniffing out the fake punt and drilling the punter. That could have been a tremendous boost to the Colts momentum had it succeeded.

The Chiefs Special Teams got a very nice return and did not allow a kick or punt return for a TD. Hey, I am trying to be inclusive here, all right?

Sure, the D went zone in the 2nd half and the Colts threw at will. Yes, Special Teams gave up way to many return yards. And the Offense sputtered a couple of times. But it was enough to contain and outscore the red-hot Colts Offense.

I saw Manning on the ground several times. And the shots of his standing forlornly on the sidelines were precious beyond belief.

Sweet.

xoxo~
Gaz
Happy all around, despite a few warts.

htismaqe
11-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Excellent write-up. Pretty much the game I saw.

KCTitus
11-02-2004, 08:50 AM
I noticed a disturbing trend in the game Sunday, that was Fujita missing a good number of tackles.

Since I dont break down game film, hopefully someone can confirm or deny what I saw.

ptlyon
11-02-2004, 08:52 AM
What I liked was the lack of penalties. They killed us in previous games.

Chiefnj
11-02-2004, 08:52 AM
The only criticism of the offense that I had was that they were scoring too quickly.

The defense played as well as could be in the first half. Well, I kind of wonder where the safeties were on a couple of long passes, but I'll let it slide as well as the tackling by the LBs. In the second half the Chiefs fell victim to their draft strategy of taking projects in the defensive backfield.

As Gaz said, the special teams didn't allow a TD. I did notice Keyaron Fox making a stop which was nice, and he looked much larger than I had remembered.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-02-2004, 08:55 AM
1. Totally agree on the Holmes dives...damn it man, just stop it. He has no fear, I'll give him that.

2. Does anyone pay attention to Manning's seizures at the line anymore? What a moron. It didn't look to me like the defense was buying into any of it. Good job.

3. If he keeps practicing, Priest Holmes may become a decent back one day.....

:D

teedubya
11-02-2004, 09:00 AM
3. If he keeps practicing, Priest Holmes may become a decent back one day.....

:D

yeah, Id say that is a possibility.

HC_Chief
11-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Sure, the D went zone in the 2nd half and the Colts threw at will

IMO give credit to the Colts for that one. Indy came out in a 2-TE set, which forced our safeties to play 'up'. This isolated the receivers on our corners... resulting in two very quick scores (back-to-back 3-play TD drives).

Phobia
11-02-2004, 09:25 AM
I noticed a disturbing trend in the game Sunday, that was Fujita missing a good number of tackles.

Since I dont break down game film, hopefully someone can confirm or deny what I saw.

I saw 1 that was really pathetic. He could have absolutely leveled the ballcarrier. Instead, he tried to come in offset to reduce the impact (I presume).... The ballcarrier juked as soon as the dumpoff pass reached him and Fuj compltely whiffed. That was horrible.

Chiefnj
11-02-2004, 09:30 AM
2. Does anyone pay attention to Manning's seizures at the line anymore? What a moron. It didn't look to me like the defense was buying into any of it. Good job.

I have a question about Manning's seizures at the line. The OL goes down and sets up and then Manning walks up and starts his jigging and jiving which then causes all of the players on the team to move, turn their head, etc. Why isn't it a false start? I thought once the line is set, they aren't supposed to move.

Fat Elvis
11-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I have a question about Manning's seizures at the line. The OL goes down and sets up and then Manning walks up and starts his jigging and jiving which then causes all of the players on the team to move, turn their head, etc. Why isn't it a false start? I thought once the line is set, they aren't supposed to move.

Not only that, but if you watch the game tape, Manning reaches
beyond the ball at the line of scrimmage a lot of the times. I don't know about you, but I always thought would be something akin to offensive offsides.

KCTitus
11-02-2004, 09:38 AM
I saw 1 that was really pathetic. He could have absolutely leveled the ballcarrier. Instead, he tried to come in offset to reduce the impact (I presume).... The ballcarrier juked as soon as the dumpoff pass reached him and Fuj compltely whiffed. That was horrible.

I noticed 4 or 5 attempted tackles at or behind the line...he got to the ball carrier, but slipped off and failed to make the tackle.

DaWolf
11-02-2004, 09:44 AM

Not sure exactly what the rules are but I believe that to get a false start the QB has to be under center getting ready to take the snap and all the players set before someone moving makes it a false start. I think Manning just walks up, scans the D, and then just runs around yelling a bunch of BS before he actually goes under center or gets set in the shotgun to take the snap, making it OK ruleswise.

Course that's just a guess on my part...

morphius
11-02-2004, 09:55 AM
I think, possibly, that it is okay to move until the QB is under center, I think. Vermeil commented on that earlier this week and thought it was funny they were all allowed to do that, when anyone else moves a fraction of an inch and its a false start.

Bob Dole
11-02-2004, 10:06 AM
I think, possibly, that it is okay to move until the QB is under center, I think. Vermeil commented on that earlier this week and thought it was funny they were all allowed to do that, when anyone else moves a fraction of an inch and its a false start.

They only have to be set a certain amount of time before the snap, or something like that.

Bob Dole has often wondered, though, how he gets away with moving toward the line of scrimmage out of the shotgun. Rather than simply raising his leg in place or to the side to call for the snap, he typically takes a step forward.

BigRedChief
11-02-2004, 04:08 PM
An aside: please stop diving in the air, Holmes. We need you and a broken neck will severely hinder your performance.

I posted on this earlier. Agree totally with Gaz here. Man, there is no need to get air borne Priest just stay on the ground. You'll make it in fine.

Would it be okay to start a website www.nogoallinedivesforPriest.com (http://www.nogoallinedivesforPriest.com) ?

Inspector
11-02-2004, 05:53 PM
I noticed that Holmes guy does seem to be coming along rather well.

I could live without the air show though....

A broken neck will severly reduce his effectiveness. IMO.