PDA

View Full Version : Dean:Chiefs' swagger returning

Lzen
11-03-2004, 10:20 AM
By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Playing on a Chiefs offense that scored 101 points, ran up 1,130 yards and controlled the ball for an average of 38 minutes over its last two victories, Tony Gonzalez feels like the hunted again.

It's a feeling he loves.

"We've got a target on our backs again," Gonzalez said Monday. "Now that our offense is back to scoring points, every defense we play from here on will come in saying, 'We're going to shut these guys down.' They're going to be more emotionally ready to play us, and each defensive coordinator is going to get his best game plan together to shut down one of the league's best offenses.

"We're going to have our work cut out for us, which is why we've got to work even harder."

Coach Dick Vermeil might just have Gonzalez address the first team meeting Wednesday when the Chiefs reconvene after days off Monday and today to begin preparations for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. For that's exactly the message Vermeil wants to send his players as they prepare to play the 2-5 Bucs in Florida.

No longer regarded as a downtrodden team -- their reputation in the national media before taking an 0-3 record into a Monday night game in Baltimore -- the offensively resurgent 3-4 Chiefs have won back their respect following consecutive victories over Atlanta (once beaten before falling in KC) and Indianapolis (twice beaten coming into KC).

The convincing victories have done more than make Kansas City the NFL's No. 1 rushing team, second-ranked scoring team and third-best team in total offense. In addition to restoring some missing confidence in the Arrowhead locker room -- "You're starting to see some swagger coming back," Gonzalez said after Sunday's 45-35 shootout win over Indy -- the Chiefs also realize that the days of being overlooked are over.

"Whenever you do anything well in the NFL, you motivate your opponent," Vermeil said Monday. "Whenever you do something really poorly you set them up.

"Look at Atlanta. They played what for them was a very poor game against us. The (coaches in Denver) were saying, 'This is a helluva team,' but sometimes your guys don't buy into it."

The Buccaneers won't make that mistake in preparing for the Chiefs.

"When you've played as well as we have for two straight weeks against teams with winning records, you motivate a higher level of concentration, focus and preparation (from an upcoming opponent)," Vermeil said. "A team is apt to be more ready to play you. And Tampa Bay is coming off a bye, so I know (coach) Jon Gruden will have them ready.

"We will have to play very, very well."

The worry for the Chiefs is that maintaining the same intensity level required for upsets of Atlanta and Indy might be more difficult when playing an opponent with a lesser record.

For the record, Vermeil finds that concern silly.

"Their record isn't any more inferior than ours," he said. "We've dug ourselves too big a hole. We can't afford not to play well.

"I trust my guys, I know how they'll come back ready to go to work Wednesday. And I know they'll recognize quickly, as soon as they start looking at (Tampa Bay) tapes, that we'll have a challenge."

NOTES -- Vermeil said that linebacker Monty Beisel will likely be doubtful again this week. Beisel missed the Indy win with a calf injury.

The Chiefs might get veteran cornerback Dexter McCleon back this week after missing the Colts game with a hamstring injury. McCleon would play in nickel defenses if available.

Backup running back Derrick Blaylock, who sustained a thigh contusion against the Colts, will be listed as questionable. Larry Johnson is ready to back up Priest Holmes if Blaylock can't, Vermeil said of the former first-round draft pick who on Sunday took his first carry of the year 19 yards on the final play of the first half.

Link (http://chiefszone.cjonline.com/stories/110204/chi_chiefswagger.shtml)