PDA

View Full Version : Computor help needed...pleeezzz

Holden McGroin
11-03-2004, 08:50 PM
I am trying to install some software and it keeps popping up with "16-bit windows subsystem system\CurrentcontrolSet\Control\
Virtualdevicedrivers\. vdd Virtual device drivers format in registry is invalid" :mad:
I have tried to edit the registry but that scares the hell out of me...
Can one of you guys help me out?

Bowser
11-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Let go of your groin and work with two hands?

Dartgod
11-03-2004, 08:58 PM
What software?

BigRedChief
11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Details.

What OS?
What software?
When does the error occur?
Have you rebooted?
Did you download the software?
VDD is usually not a biggie so don't sweat it.

OldTownChief
11-03-2004, 09:18 PM
This behavior can occur after you install a 16-bit program or a program that uses a 16-bit installation program that is not Windows XP-compliant. This behavior can also occur if the Command.com file that is installed on your computer is damaged or is the incorrect version.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe).

NOTE: In Windows XP, Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe have been integrated into a single program that combines the features of the two registry editors in Windows 2000.
2. Locate and select the following value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Multi-string Value.
5. Type VDD in the Value Name box, and then press ENTER.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
If the issue continues to occur, verify that the proper version of the Command.com file is installed in the systemroot/System32 folder on your computer.

The Windows XP version of the Command.com file has attributes similar to the following:

Holden McGroin
11-03-2004, 09:46 PM
This behavior can occur after you install a 16-bit program or a program that uses a 16-bit installation program that is not Windows XP-compliant. This behavior can also occur if the Command.com file that is installed on your computer is damaged or is the incorrect version.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe or Regedit.exe).

NOTE: In Windows XP, Regedit.exe and Regedt32.exe have been integrated into a single program that combines the features of the two registry editors in Windows 2000.
2. Locate and select the following value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers\VDD
3. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Multi-string Value.
5. Type VDD in the Value Name box, and then press ENTER.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
If the issue continues to occur, verify that the proper version of the Command.com file is installed in the systemroot/System32 folder on your computer.

The Windows XP version of the Command.com file has attributes similar to the following:

I have tried this... I am on Win 2000 pro. I have to use regedit... regedit32 does not launch on this comp. I have deleted the "VDD" and added a new one but it does not give me the option for a multi-string value... :hmmm:
The software is a home schooling curriculum called "swithched on schoolhouse" My wife has started home schooling two of our 5 boys...

Thank for the responces...I need all the help I can get

Darkwolfe
11-03-2004, 09:50 PM
I have tried this... I am on Win 2000 pro. I have to use regedit... regedit32 does not launch on this comp. I have deleted the "VDD" and added a new one but it does not give me the option for a multi-string value... :hmmm:
The software is a home schooling curriculum called "swithched on schoolhouse" My wife has started home schooling two of our 5 boys...

Regedit is fine, although if regedt32 isn't working you may have some serious problems. Or you could just be misspelling it. REGEDT32 has no "i", try that if you wish.

PM me if you have any more detail. This type of thing is my home business now. :D

BigRedChief
11-03-2004, 09:53 PM
just use "last known good configuration" . power down. hit the f6 key. in the menu arrow down until you see it. hit enter. quick and easy. may work. no hacking of the registry

Tinlar
11-03-2004, 09:56 PM
Call 1-800-MyApple, give the person that answers the phone your credit card and beg them to save you from Bill Gates and his crappy crap.

Holden McGroin
11-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Regedit is fine, although if regedt32 isn't working you may have some serious problems. Or you could just be misspelling it. REGEDT32 has no "i", try that if you wish.

PM me if you have any more detail. This type of thing is my home business now. :D

Well... I am an idiot and I was spelling it with an "i", but I went though the procedure and it did not seem to help... but I did not reboot, I will try that.
I really appreciate all the help! You seem to know your stuff!

Holden McGroin
11-03-2004, 09:59 PM
just use "last known good configuration" . power down. hit the f6 key. in the menu arrow down until you see it. hit enter. quick and easy. may work. no hacking of the registry

Tried that too... no help. Bout ready to toss this thing in the yard... :banghead:

Holden McGroin
11-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Call 1-800-MyApple, give the person that answers the phone your credit card and beg them to save you from Bill Gates and his crappy crap.

Have not even tried a mac... sounding pretty good right know!

BigRedChief
11-03-2004, 10:05 PM
do you have system restore? if so that should work. programs/accesories/system tools

Tinlar
11-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Unless you want to play video games on your computer Apple is the way to go. The cleanest fastest OS on the planet and it's BSD Unix based so its secure, virus free, flexable, and powerful. I used to hate the things and thought I'd never use one. I took a job for apple out of need for money and found that both the hardware and the software if way better and more stable. And they have consumer reports #1 Technical Support staff for 5 years running.

The prices on a lot of hardware beats PC prices too. Cheapest 30" LCD on the Market, Portable computers starting at around 800. And the iMac is beautiful.

eBay your PC, buy an iMac and a PS2

Holden McGroin
11-03-2004, 10:09 PM
do you have system restore? if so that should work. programs/accesories/system tools

Don't see system restore under system tools, just sys info.
rebooted and still screwed up... could it be a problem with the software?

stumppy
11-03-2004, 10:10 PM

Sounds like the wife needs all the help she can get.

Holden McGroin
11-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Sounds like the wife needs all the help she can get.

NO DOUBT!!! When she asked me about this I said are you nuts??!!
We have a 14 yr. old that just discovered he is now smarter than either of us. Also have boys that are 11, 10, 5 & 2... :shake:

OldTownChief
11-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Try this link

http://www.serverboss.com/16-bitMS-DOSsubsystem.htm