PDA

View Full Version : Keitzman among top 12 sports radio shows?

ENDelt260
11-04-2004, 05:55 PM

tk13
11-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Probably, the sports radio market has become pretty bare....

Dartgod
11-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Mighty Mouths

Every day, from coast to coast, local sports-radio talk-show hosts set the hometown athletic agenda and incite howling from their listeners. Here are SI's choices of the shows that make the most noise

NEW YORK CITY
MIKE AND THE MAD DOG, 660 WFAN
1 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
To hear Mike Francesa and Chris (Mad Dog) Russo bickering, you'd think they wouldn't last 15 minutes together. But Francesa (top), 50, and Russo, 45, have been at it for 15 years, pronouncing on all the big stories, as when they mercilessly grilled Mets owner Fred Wilpon about the club's implosion this summer.

CHICAGO
MIKE NORTH, 670 WSCR
6 a.m.-10 a.m.
A former hot dog vendor at Wrigley Field and a fixture on Windy City radio since 1990, the 52-year-old North is known for his passion for hot-button topics and his brazen approach to the town's sports figures: Earlier this season he called Bears wide receiver David Terrell "a nut case."

BOSTON
GLENN ORDWAY, 850 WEEI
2 p.m.-6 p.m.
In August, when a listener named Curt Schilling wanted to set the record straight about the then erratic Red Sox, who did he call from the car? Ordway, that's who. The 53-year-old host of The Big Show offers segments like the "Whiner Line," a playback of fans venting their frustrations.

KANSAS CITY, MO.
KEVIN KIETZMAN, 810 WHB
2 p.m.-7 p.m.
While bleeding the purple of his Kansas State Wildcats, the 40-year-old Mission, Kans., native has landed so many scoops that rival stations have assigned interns to listen in hopes of learning something new. In 1999 he organized a fan walkout of a Royals-Yankees game to protest payroll disparities.

PITTSBURGH
MARK MADDEN, 1250 WEAE
3 p.m.-7 p.m.
A former commentator for World Championship Wrestling, the 43-year-old Madden revels in that sensibility, referring to callers and critics alike as "jackasses." He can be downright nasty: Madden once labeled Darryl Strawberry's recovery from illness as a "waste of a cancer cure."

NATIONAL
JIM ROME,
12 p.m.-3 p.m. ET
From his base in Southern California (where he made his rep), the 40-year-old Rome now reaches more than two million listeners. Commanding his legions (labeled "clones") to "have a take and don't suck," the influential "Romey" has expanded his empire to TV (ESPN's Rome Is Burning).

PHILADELPHIA
ANGELO CATALDI, 610 WIP
5:30 a.m.-10 a.m.
In this blue-collar, boo-spewing town, the 53-year-old Cataldi, anchor of 'IP's morning drive-time show, identifies with Joe Sixpack and zestfully skewers local sports figures. His favorite adjective is "stinking," as in "[General manager] Ed Wade's Phillies are a bunch of stinking losers."

MIAMI
HANK GOLDBERG, 560 WQAM
4 p.m.-7 p.m
Because owners, coaches and politicians use South Florida radio mainstay Goldberg as a sounding board, he has a huge edge in breaking news. The 64-year-old hammerin' Hank pulls no punches, whether terming callers "jag-offs" or questioning the financial wherewithal of Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria.

SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND
THE RAZOR AND MR. T, 680 KNBR
3 p.m.-7 p.m.
They're an odd couple, but Ralph (the Razor) Barbieri, 57, a cerebral radio veteran, and Tom (Mr. T) Tolbert, 39, a former NBA journeyman turned cutup, share a willingness to wade into tough issues: This summer Barbieri (bottom) blasted the Giants for being too cheap to sign a hitter to protect Barry Bonds.

DALLAS-FORT WORTH
THE HARDLINE, KTCK 1310
3 p.m.-7 p.m.
The hosts with the most in Big D are gruff Mike Rhyner (top), 54, and easily incensed Greg Williams, 44. When Williams roars, out flows a stream of back-porch Texas country wisdom. The pair's primary sports interest is baseball, which would seem suicidal in Cowboys country. Still, they own the 18-to-34 male cohort.

BIRMINGHAM
PAUL FINEBAUM, 960 WERC
2 p.m.-7 p.m.
The 48-year-old Finebaum is the agenda-setter in Alabama for sports -- meaning college football. Also a Mobile Register columnist, Finebaum maintains tight relationships with prominent figures at Alabama and Auburn; he advertises his show as the place where "coaches are fired."

Issue date: November 8, 2004

Dartgod
11-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the assist, Dartgod.

That's pretty funny.
Yeah, especially the landing the scoops part. I assume they're talking about the league wide drug ring in the NFL. He's gonna blow the cover on that one any day now.

What a crock...

Deberg_1990
11-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Nobody beats Jim Rome for pure entertainment value! Hes hilarious onnce he starts ripping into somebody.

Bob Dole
11-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Keitzman?

Never heard him...

VonneMarie
11-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Yuk, who the hell is KK? :Lin:

Skip Towne
11-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I think Rome is funny. I like how he can say the same thing over and over for 10 minutes.

KcMizzou
11-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I think Rome is funny. I like how he can say the same thing over and over for 10 minutes. Today it was pumpkin. There was a story about a pizza man who was attacked by a bunch of guys, and hit in the head with a pumpkin.

"Dude was hit with a pumpkin. Classic. A pumpkin was bounced off his melon. You know your life sucks if you're a pizza man anyway, but then to get attacked by a mob with a pumpkin. A pumpkin. Classic. 'Hey let's go rob the pizza man.' 'Ok, got a gun, a rock, a knife?' 'No. but it's Halloween, I have a pumpkin.' Classic. A pumpkin bounced off his melon. Hilarious. Epic. I'm the pimp in the box. Pumpkin."

Saulbadguy
11-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Haha...Keitzman owns you!

tk13
11-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Today it was pumpkin. There was a story about a pizza man who was attacked by a bunch of guys, and hit in the head with a pumpkin.

"Dude was hit with a pumpkin. Classic. A pumpkin was bounced off his melon. You know you're life sucks if you're a pizza man anyway, but then to get attacked by a mob with a pumpkin. A pumpkin. Classic. 'Hey let's go rob the pizza man.' 'Ok, got a gun, a rock, a knife?' 'No. but it's Halloween, I have a pumpkin.' Classic. A pumpkin bounced off his melon. Hilarious. Epic. I'm the pimp in the box. Pumpkin."
ROFL

Bowser
11-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Today it was pumpkin. There was a story about a pizza man who was attacked by a bunch of guys, and hit in the head with a pumpkin.

"Dude was hit with a pumpkin. Classic. A pumpkin was bounced off his melon. You know you're life sucks if you're a pizza man anyway, but then to get attacked by a mob with a pumpkin. A pumpkin. Classic. 'Hey let's go rob the pizza man.' 'Ok, got a gun, a rock, a knife?' 'No. but it's Halloween, I have a pumpkin.' Classic. A pumpkin bounced off his melon. Hilarious. Epic. I'm the pimp in the box. Pumpkin."

Yeah, his shtick gets old. I was really into him there for awhile, but you're right, he just repeats himself over and over and over........

I will say this, tho....his yearly "Smack Off" is usually three of the better hours of radio for the year!

ChiefsCountry
11-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Rome is pretty good. Most of the time it is ok.

VonneMarie
11-04-2004, 08:55 PM

"Dude was hit with a pumpkin. Classic. A pumpkin was bounced off his melon. You know your life sucks if you're a pizza man anyway, but then to get attacked by a mob with a pumpkin. A pumpkin. Classic. 'Hey let's go rob the pizza man.' 'Ok, got a gun, a rock, a knife?' 'No. but it's Halloween, I have a pumpkin.' Classic. A pumpkin bounced off his melon. Hilarious. Epic. I'm the pimp in the box. Pumpkin."
:LOL: That was great.

Bowser
11-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Pumpkin.

That might be KcMizzou's best post ever. He should go out on top.

I might be wrong, but I would swear you just said we should kill or ban KcMizzou.

Man, 40k posts does strange things to a guy.............

:)

Stinger
11-04-2004, 09:31 PM

ROFL Rack him

Skip Towne
11-04-2004, 09:45 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. But he is funny while doing it. He called Shanarat "Rathead" the other day. I thought the Planet invented the rat schtick.

Mark M
11-05-2004, 07:40 AM
I noticed KK made the list when I got my issue yesterday.

If he's in the top 12, then there must be some gawd fuqqin awful shows out there ...

MM
~~:eek:

KCTitus
11-05-2004, 07:58 AM
This all stems from his vital role in bringing down the drug ring that 'shook the foundations' of the NFL.

Lzen
11-05-2004, 09:34 AM
KK is alright at times but, I get sick of turning on my radio after work at 4:30 only to hear him talking about worthless crap like golf or Nascar. :shake: Seems he never talks about the Chiefs on my drive home. :cuss: I flip around between 610am, 580am(Topeka), and 810am.

Bowser
11-05-2004, 09:36 AM
KK is alright at times but, I get sick of turning on my radio after work at 4:30 only to hear him talking about worthless crap like golf or Nascar. :shake: Seems he never talks about the Chiefs on my drive home. :cuss: I flip around between 610am, 580am(Topeka), and 810am.

I would probablly give 610 more of a listen if their signal wasn't so damned weak.

beavis
11-05-2004, 10:04 AM

That about sums it up. ROFL

What a no talent assclown.

HC_Chief
11-05-2004, 10:06 AM
SI, Keitzman and Jim Rome are teh sux0rz.

Lzen
11-05-2004, 10:17 AM
I would probablly give 610 more of a listen if their signal wasn't so damned weak.

Where do you live? It would be nice for many on here if 610 had an internet feed.

Mr. Laz
11-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Rome is a fuggin moron

i can listen to his crap for about 30 minutes before my ears start bleeding

Kietzman IS the best we got ... for whatever that's worth

Demonpenz
11-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Danny am I wrong on this?

Bowser
11-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Where do you live? It would be nice for many on here if 610 had an internet feed.

I live just south of Liberty, for cryin' out loud! Their feed always has background static on my radios, but when I get within 50 yards of a power line, pure bzzzzzzzzzz.

Maybe I need some serious upgrading of radios.........