PDA

View Full Version : State Championship - Who has been to one for themselves or their kids?

KCWolfman
11-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Let me caveat. My daughter (sophomore) was not Varsity, but played on the Varsity team for 5 games and the tourney. She is still just JV.

Further Caveat: State Championship run: She only played in the District and Sectional and just pinch ran in the Quarterfinals and didn't play at all in the State game against Jeff City.

But nonetheless we were a small part of the State Champion Liberty Blue Jays softball team. We had the banquet tonight and I must say that this is an amazing feeling. I went to a rinky dink Catholic high school that did well in Math Competition and the local High School quiz shows, but we were poster children for geeks when it came to sports. We were hammered time and time again in everything from baseball to football, volleyball, basketball, etc. We tried to get revenge in golf, but no other school even had a team; therefore, we were just an eternal practice squad.

Anyway, this is Liberty's first softball championship after 5 attempts. We lost only one game all season, had 5 shutouts, 3 no-hitters, and only a single loss to Blue Springs South by a lousy run. The JV team won district as well. What a rush for us, our family, and my kid. I am beaming with pride.

Which of you guys have participated in a state championship or had your kids do so?

KCWolfman
11-05-2004, 01:53 AM
Oh, and Zach, I hate you and wish ill things upon your knees and shins after beating us in football last week.

Spicy McHaggis
11-05-2004, 01:58 AM
Ran state track and finished second Junior year and finished first senior year.

teedubya
11-05-2004, 03:07 AM
We got to the 2A semifinals vs Putnam County in 1990, and lost... by a field goal. Our coach before the game told the whole team that today wasnt gonna be "nigga left, nigga right" today... it was gonna be a team effort [referring to our star running back]

Pissed him off, and he played with minimal effort. The memory of Coach saying that shit still makes my jaw drop...

needless to say, the next year, they fired his ass.

The Star running back? Now works as an Asst mgr at a Pizza Hut.

tk13
11-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Played in probably the toughest Class A sectional in the state my senior year in basketball. I think at least 4, maybe 5 of the 6 teams in the sectional were ranked in or got votes for the Top 10 of Class A at some point... and a team from that sectional went to the title game the year before, state semifinals this year, and state finals the next year (to give you another barometer, our rival high school in this sectional had Brody Boyd, who as Iowa fans know was a starting guard for you guys and helped win you a Big 10 title, 3rd leading career scorer in the long history of Indiana basketball, and they didn't even make the sectional final this year)... so yeah, we didn't do anything. First game of the sectional my senior year we were playing a 14-7ish team that was probably the 4th best odds-on "favorite" in the sectional (my school was 10-10, but we'd played a tough schedule and beat some good teams)... trailed the whole way and finally made a run late to get the lead down to 4 with momentum when somebody on our team got an awful technical foul, killed the momentum and we never got it back. Boy how I'd love to coach a team in that situation, have a packed blaring loud gym with people having to stand all around the concourse because there's nowhere in the "bowl" to sit....all for high schools that have 300 kids or less with everything on the line... can't beat it.

Chief Henry
11-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Hell, I played on one. We beat kee High Of Lansing
Iowa 8-4. I had two hits, 2 runs scored and a throwing error.

I've broadcast several state championship baseball
games too. I've broadcast several state wrestling
tournyments too.

Nothing like actually knowing the kids on the
field or court that your covering or watching.

Skip Towne
11-05-2004, 08:22 AM
I won the class 3A state golf championship. Of course that was back when the ball was stuffed with feathers.

Brianfo
11-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Went to state in wrestling 3 times in high school and won it my senior year. We took 3rd place as a team also. Went to playoffs in football my senior year, but lost in the first round. Went to substate finals in baseball my junior and senior year losing 2-1 in 13 innings my senior year. Ah the good old glory days. Hope my kids get to participate in something like that when they get older.

cron912
11-05-2004, 08:24 AM
4A state (Kansas) football champions, 1992.

Tinlar
11-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Louisiana 1993 State Champions (3A).

We were down 31 points at half time and came back to win 35 to 31.

Nzoner
11-05-2004, 08:29 AM
When I played little league our Bronco baseball team made it to the State Tournament representing our city.

We played well eliminating two teams but alas,we were to find out that we were still just small fish in a big pond.

crispystl
11-05-2004, 08:52 AM
we played in some like mid west state championship in little league It was funny our school was so small we only had one bench player and the other school could'nt find our little town so they almost had to forfeit, but we beat 'em ...that is still to this day the best memory of my life

sevenand7kc
11-05-2004, 08:57 AM
1989 High School State Championship game - 1A Football

We went down to Columia and played St. Genevieve Valle and got our arses handed to us something like 47 - 7. That was the 2nd year of Valle's run.

From 88 - 95 they won 6 1A state championships. Private school, private recruiting, more money . . . . you get the picture

Braincase
11-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Salina Central H.S., Class 5A State Track & Field Champs. We lost to Liberal in the football playoffs, lost to Kapaun Mt. Carmel in the basketball finals (Greg Dreiling was the center for Kapaun), but we got off the schneide in track.

ChiTown
11-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Never played for the State Championship in either Football or Basketball. However, my team was rated #1 in the KC Metropolitan area in Basketball in 1984 going into the State Playoffs. We were knocked out by a team that we beat by 30 points in Sub State. That same team went on to win 5A State. We ended our season 17-1. I still have visions of winning it all. There is no doubt that we were the best overall team in the state (Kansas and Missouri)......... :banghead:

KC Jones
11-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Lost in Quarterfinals for football.

Watched my brother lose in the championship game in basketball.

Velvet_Jones
11-05-2004, 09:13 AM
1984 Kansas 4a Basketball Champs - Go Braves

Fat Elvis
11-05-2004, 09:29 AM
1984 5A State Champs in Debate.

Stinger
11-05-2004, 09:36 AM
I won the class 3A state golf championship. Of course that was back when the ball was stuffed with feathers.

Yeah how were those Hickory Shafts ROFL

On another note never made it to State Finals in High School, but played in 2 National Tournaments in College for soccer.

KingPriest2
11-05-2004, 09:40 AM

What event and time? What state? What school?

morphius
11-05-2004, 09:49 AM
I bowled in some state tourney's when I was young, but that is as close as I got. I think I bowled my average, and my team was top 3 after the first day, but got knocked out the second day.

But hey, going to NKC, you aren't expected to win anything.

KevB
11-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Glory days....right?

'90 and '91 state champs in baseball, 6A in KS (Shawnee Mission NW).

Went something like 9 for 13 in the tourney my senior year....got myself an article in the paper. I was a slightly above average hitter....more of a defensive guy. Nothing like going out a winner and on a personal high note. Winning state is certainly a feeling I'll never forget.

Skip Towne
11-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Yeah how were those Hickory Shafts ROFL

On another note never made it to State Finals in High School, but played in 2 National Tournaments in College for soccer.
I didn't mention that because my first clubs actually had hickory shafts. It wasn't so bad with the Cleek but it was a handicap with the Niblick.

Stinger
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
I didn't mention that because my first clubs actually had hickory shafts. It wasn't so bad with the Cleek but it was a handicap with the Niblick.

I tell you what everyone tells you the equipment is so much much better now, but all it really does it make everything go longer. I agree with Mickleson if you want to even the field in the PGA move all the players up a tee and give them clubs with the hickory shafts to play. I miss player making shots instead of just booming it and hitting a 5 from 220 to the green. Plus I miss the persimmon woods.

Oh well.

ChiefsCountry
11-05-2004, 11:14 AM
In sports, we got upset in the first round in football. We were undeafted. Lost by 2 points. And got screwed by our own clock operator. How in the hell can you get 4 wishbone option plays in 16 seconds? :cuss: They got a touchdown out of that. Oh well. Team we lost to got 2nd in state. :harumph:

I did though win in DECA, which was marketing club, and then got 3rd in the world for my project. In business just remember the 3 B's to Businees, brains, booty, and booze. Since we were in school, I could only use 2. Two hot girls who were smart as partners. :thumb:

ChiefsOne
11-05-2004, 11:55 AM
sevenand7kc
1989 High School State Championship game - 1A Football

We went down to Columia and played St. Genevieve Valle and got our arses handed to us something like 47 - 7. That was the 2nd year of Valle's run.

From 88 - 95 they won 6 1A state championships. Private school, private recruiting, more money . . . . you get the picture

We lost to Valle in the Semi-finals in 81 & 82. 81 they thumped us 82 it was by 6 points and we had a touchdown called back on a bogus call.

Were did you go to HS?

ChiefsOne
11-05-2004, 11:58 AM
As much fun as I had playing High School football and making it to Semi-finals two years in a row. It was even better to watch my daughter playing high school basketball. They lost the game before going to the Final 4 two years in a row.

Fun and lots of Emotion!

BigRedChief
11-05-2004, 11:28 PM
When I played little league our Bronco baseball team .

Bronco? :shake:

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
11-06-2004, 12:18 AM
1995 Arizona Class 5A Baseball State Championship.

We lost 3-2...BTW, Ryan Mill is a class A prick. I think he is in the Twins minor leage org.

Phobia
11-06-2004, 01:02 AM

Me too. Except the whole finishing first part. We lost our best 200/400 guy 2 years in a row and it cost us the state championship each time. I used to run high 21's/low 22's in the 200.

I have a buddy from those teams who still runs Seniors track meets - he regularly runs 48 second 400's. For a 35 year old man, that's blazing.

tk13
11-06-2004, 01:07 AM
I have a buddy from those teams who still runs Seniors track meets - he regularly runs 48 second 400's. For a 35 year old man, that's blazing.

35? For a 25 year old man that's blazing...

stumppy
11-06-2004, 01:15 AM
During high school I won $20.00 in a game of eight ball.

Well......it was a school day.
:shrug: