PDA

View Full Version : Wally Backman fired by D'backs!

Archie F. Swin
11-05-2004, 12:15 PM
POSTED: 12:54 pm EST November 5, 2004

link (http://www.ksat.com/mlb/3895028/detail.html)

Phoenix, AZ -- The Arizona Diamondbacks have fired newly-hired manager Wally Backman and are expected to replace him with Bob Melvin, according to a published report.

The Arizona Republic reported Friday that the move was made after a series of off-field incidents were revealed, including a DUI conviction and a guilty plea to harassment charges. The team has scheduled a news conference for Friday afternoon to announce the move.

Backman was named manager on Monday and even after reports surfaced of legal troubles surrounding his past, the club was expected to stick with their new skipper.

"There have been things that have happened in my past I'm not proud of, but I'm confident in the job that I'm going to do for the Diamondbacks," Backman told the newspaper early Thursday.

Backman, who managed at Class A Lancaster for the Diamondbacks this past season, had spent the last eight years as a minor league skipper. He had replaced interim manager Al Pedrique on Monday. Pedrique was moved into that position after the team fired Bob Brenly on July 2.

Backman came to Lancaster after three seasons as a manager in the Chicago White Sox organization, the last two with the Double-A Birmingham Barons. He was a first-round pick of the Mets and during his 14-year playing career, Backman hit .275 with 240 RBI in 1,102 games.

The 45-year-old Backman had also been mentioned as a candidate for the managerial job of the Mets, who hired Willie Randolph on Thursday.

Backman, who was a key figure in New York's 1986 World Series championship team, never signed his contract with the Diamondbacks. Other allegations that have been revealed include spousal abuse, a bankruptcy filing and numerous tax liens.

The Diamondbacks' 2004 season was one for the record books. Unfortunately, it was for all the wrong reasons. Three years after winning the World Series, the team set a franchise record for losses, going 51-111, the most defeats for a National League team since the New York Mets went 50-112 in 1965.

The team was 29-50 at the time of Brenly's firing, but things would get worse before they got better. The Diamondbacks lost a franchise-record 11 straight games just before Brenly was let go. Shortly after Pedrique was hired, Arizona endured a 14-game losing streak.

Melvin, who interviewed for the job with the Diamondbacks before the club decided on Backman, was fired by Seattle in early October after just completing his second season as manager of the Mariners. The club finished last in the AL West this year with a 63-99 record after posting a 93-69 mark in 2003.

The 43-year-old Melvin was hired by Seattle prior to the 2003 campaign and signed a two-year contract with a club option for 2005, which was exercised by the team in May. He replaced long-time skipper Lou Piniella, who left the Mariners to manage the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Prior to joining the Mariners, Melvin spent four seasons as a bench coach with the Milwaukee Brewers (1999), Detroit Tigers (2000) and Diamondbacks (2001-2002)

ROYC75
11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
That didn't take long !

ROYC75
11-05-2004, 12:27 PM
newly-hired ......

He hasn't took the field yet !

Demonpenz
11-05-2004, 12:31 PM
it's about time he was fired, has he even won a game yet?

siberian khatru
11-05-2004, 12:35 PM
They were gonna fire him in a couple of seasons anyway, might as well get it over with now.

That reminds me, the Royals should go ahead and trade Zack Greinke.

Hydrae
11-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Man, this team is getting hard to follow. I hate that this is the way that Randy Johnson will be ending a great career. :shake:

Coach
11-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Just heard an update. ESPN radio is reporting that Backman has been fired.

Well, THAT was an amazing two-day run. Wow. That organization is looking more inept each and every day.

Demonpenz
11-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Man he has had that coaching job forever!

signed George O'leary

Hydrae
11-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Just heard an update. ESPN radio is reporting that Backman has been fired.

Well, THAT was an amazing two-day run. Wow. That organization is looking more inept each and every day.

Yeah, you would hope that they would be aware of the off field problems since he was coaching for them this last season! :cuss: