PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a High Definition DVR?

WakkaDakka
11-05-2004, 01:52 PM
How much did it cost & what's the best one to get? :hmmm:

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Gaz
11-05-2004, 01:54 PM
$1000

No, I do not have one.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not willing to push Mrs. Gaz quite that far.

WakkaDakka
11-05-2004, 01:57 PM
$1000

JEEZUS!!!!!!!!!! :deevee: :cuss: :banghead:

I love watching Chiefs games in HD, but dammit that's a lot of money! :(

morphius
11-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Try to do a search on what DRU has on his computer, he uses it as a DVR and records in HD. I think both Hauppage and ATI have cards that will let you do it, though I have read that the ATI is pretty much a resource hog and you need a great machine to make it work. Of course they could have come out with some more drivers since that article came out.

Craash
11-05-2004, 02:26 PM
I have the Explorer 8000HD DVR through TWC. $10 a month. Beautiful quality. I also have a pair of HD PC Cards. My current project is down converting all the Chiefs games from HD to DVD quality (widescreen) and putting them on Dual Layer DVD's. This allows me to keep the bitrate up around 8K. They look as good as purchased DVD's. To this point in the season, ALL of the games have been broadcast in HD.

And the ATI card is fine.

Miles
11-05-2004, 02:32 PM
I know time warner and cox offer HD DRV's for around 10-15 a month. I have the one from cox and it works really well but i dont use if for HD. Check with you cable company. If you are in a decent sized market there is a good chance they will offer them.

Im not sure if DTV or Dish Network have the same deal.

JamSec128
11-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I just got a HD DVR from dishnetwork, about 2 weeks ago. traded my old DVR (DVR 510) for a HD DVR (DVR 921). Freaking love it 250 gig hard drive or 180 hours or record time. Not to mention watching games in HD. Cost was $825.00. Dishnetwork ran equipment trade in special last month. Otherwise it is 1000.00. If you have dish, give them a call they are always running specials like that. One complaint though the bastards didn't send a remote with the new receiver, and dinged me for another 25.00 to send a replacement. After dealing with 4 different call taking mooks, and getting transferred from India to Pakistan, I didn't have the heart to argue anymore, just wanted the freaking remote.

WebGem
11-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I want that new one that you can burn your Tivo'd shit onto DVD with. It's like $400 or something, not HD though. Me and my roommate are getting an HD TV for the family room, but I only have DirecTV in my room.

Pants
11-05-2004, 03:46 PM
I just got a HD DVR from dishnetwork, about 2 weeks ago. traded my old DVR (DVR 510) for a HD DVR (DVR 921). Freaking love it 250 gig hard drive or 180 hours or record time. Not to mention watching games in HD. Cost was $825.00. Dishnetwork ran equipment trade in special last month. Otherwise it is 1000.00. If you have dish, give them a call they are always running specials like that. One complaint though the bastards didn't send a remote with the new receiver, and dinged me for another 25.00 to send a replacement. After dealing with 4 different call taking mooks, and getting transferred from India to Pakistan, I didn't have the heart to argue anymore, just wanted the freaking remote.

And that's why Dish/Direct TV suck compared to cable.

And all companies make video cards that let you record, not just ATI.

Baby Lee
11-05-2004, 03:51 PM
And that's why Dish/Direct TV suck compared to cable.

And all companies make video cards that let you record, not just ATI.
But ATI and Huappage are the only HD-in capable ones I know of on the market.

Craash
11-05-2004, 04:05 PM
But ATI and Huappage are the only HD-in capable ones I know of on the market.

Additional HD PC Cards:

Teleman HiPix DTV-200
MIT MyHD MDP-100 and 120
HiDTV PRO 2.0
FusionHDTV-I, -II, -III Gold and III Gold QAM
OnAir USB HDTV Adapter - External Solution here (http://www.usbhdtv.com/)

the Hauppage card is dismissed by most "in the know" due to pq issues.

I currently have the FusionII and the ATI HDWonder.

Edited to add the OnAir.

morphius
11-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Additional HD PC Cards:

Teleman HiPix DTV-200
MIT MyHD MDP-100 and 120
HiDTV PRO 2.0
FusionHDTV-I, -II, -III Gold and III Gold QAM

the Hauppage card is dismissed by most "in the know" due to pq issues.

I currently have the FusionII and the ATI HDWonder.
Cool, thanks for the heads up on that. Other then DRU I didn't know anyone who had one.

KChiefs1
11-05-2004, 05:52 PM
My current project is down converting all the Chiefs games from HD to DVD quality (widescreen) and putting them on Dual Layer DVD's. This allows me to keep the bitrate up around 8K. They look as good as purchased DVD's. To this point in the season, ALL of the games have been broadcast in HD.

I can definitely see your project turning into a huge moneymaker down the road! :toast:

Pants
11-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up on that. Other then DRU I didn't know anyone who had one.

IIRC, Dru has an All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro.

Craash
11-05-2004, 07:36 PM
I can definitely see your project turning into a huge moneymaker down the road! :toast:

Let's be clear here. Due to NFL regulations, these are only for my private use. They will not be sold, or given away, or viewed in public.

ChiefsFanatic
11-05-2004, 08:29 PM
I have the Explorer 8000HD DVR through TWC. $10 a month. Beautiful quality. I also have a pair of HD PC Cards. My current project is down converting all the Chiefs games from HD to DVD quality (widescreen) and putting them on Dual Layer DVD's. This allows me to keep the bitrate up around 8K. They look as good as purchased DVD's. To this point in the season, ALL of the games have been broadcast in HD.

And the ATI card is fine.

How long does it take to burn the DVD?

Craash
11-05-2004, 11:43 PM
How long does it take to burn the DVD?

The process is somewhat lengthy. I downconvert the 1080i video via S-video to a Pioneer Hard Drive DVD recorder's hard drive. Once I have it on the harddrive, I record each quarter to a single layer DVD, commercials and all. This allows me to use "high speed dubbing" on the Pioneer which results in no quality loss. Once I have the 4 dvd's I rip them to my computer and archive the original dvds. I take the ripped video and edit out the commercials and junk. I then do a stream copy which leaves me commercial free video in 16:9 format at a 8K bitrate and ac3 audio. If the game is over 2 hours or so, I have to re-encode (dropping the bitrate slighlty) so tha it will fit on a dual layer dvd. If it's under 2 hours, I just import it into my authoring software and create the video_TS folders. I verify the 16:9 format, create chapter for each chapter and burn. The end result is a commercial quality DVD of our beloved chiefs in glorious widescreen format.

Dual Layer DVD's are running me about 22 for a 3 pack.
Total time invested (actually doing stuff, not waiting on an encode or copy) perhaps 2 hours per game.