PDA

View Full Version : Motion before snap rule

crossbow
11-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I remember Dan Marino getting a penalty for moving his head just before the snap. So what is the deal with Paiton Manning and the Colts? You get him moving around, the wide-out waving his arms at Manning, the backfield running up to hear him and then going back to their positions. The right guard turning to look back at him. I know they weren't set for more then a second and they snap the ball. Isn't the line supposed to be set and only one man moving in the backfield the rule? And the man in motion cannot be moving toward the line before the snap?

Is that a rule for 31 teams but not the Colts?

FAX
11-06-2004, 04:37 PM
I finally received my game tape from the Indy/Chiefs game last Sunday and watched it last night for the first time.

I was, frankly, amazed at the movement taking place on the Colt's offence prior to the snap. Absolutely incredible!

This rule is a 100% absolute joke. And, it's not funny either.

FAX

crossbow
11-06-2004, 04:45 PM
Yeah. I watched the game before I went to work. I saw the wide-out standing in front of Bartee Waving his arms at Manning !!! While he was doing that the tailback run up to the line to listen to Manning give out blocking assignment changes or at least act like he was. The right guard turned so hard that he was in a three point stance. While all of this is going on the left tackle is pointing at one of the Chiefs down lineman. The refs are right on it though. They stand there with the patended "dear in the headlights" look and let them do all of this goofy dog and pony show.

OldTownChief
11-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Position of Players at Snap

1. Offensive team must have at least seven players on line.

2. Offensive players, not on line, must be at least one yard back at snap.

(Exception: player who takes snap.)

3. No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance.

4. No player of either team may enter neutral zone before snap.

5. No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started. No player of the defensive team within one yard of the line of scrimmage may make an abrupt movement in an attempt to cause the offense to false start.

6. If a player changes his eligibility, the Referee must alert the defensive captain after player has reported to him.

7. All players of offensive team must be stationary at snap, except one back who may be in motion parallel to scrimmage line or backward (not forward).

8. After a shift or huddle all players on offensive team must come to an absolute stop for at least one second with no movement of hands, feet, head, or swaying of body.

9. Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside.

10. Offensive linemen are permitted to interlock legs.

dtebbe
11-06-2004, 04:51 PM
I watched the game on Tivo, and clearly saw Manning put his arm in the neutral zone 3 times. The official was looking right down the line when he did it, no call.

DT

crossbow
11-06-2004, 04:58 PM
They violated about 4 of the 10 points in that rule. Besides bordering on cheating...it looks disorganized and unprofessional. I realy doubt that is confuses anyone. The defense knows what they are going to do. If you are as good as that offense is then you don't need to waiste energy doing all that grade school stuff.

FAX
11-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Yeah. I watched the game before I went to work. I saw the wide-out standing in front of Bartee Waving his arms at Manning !!! While he was doing that the tailback run up to the line to listen to Manning give out blocking assignment changes or at least act like he was. The right guard turned so hard that he was in a three point stance. While all of this is going on the left tackle is pointing at one of the Chiefs down lineman. The refs are right on it though. They stand there with the patended "dear in the headlights" look and let them do all of this goofy dog and pony show.

That was the play, I believe, Mr. crossbow, in which Bartee was showing blitz. If memory serves, the WR was trying to get Manning's attention on the blitz and, at the snap, almost every Colt was moving.

Incredible, really.

FAX

DJay23
11-06-2004, 06:25 PM
I kept noticing that just before the snap it looked like the whole Colts line came out of their stances. What I was seeing was a trick on my eyes where the center who, on shot guns is looking between his legs at Manning. He brought his head up so abruptly, and just a hair before he snapped the ball. It really fooled me, I'm surprised our d-line didn't jump on every shotgun play Indy ran. It really looked like the guy was getting up to block before the ball was snapped.

stevieray
11-06-2004, 06:38 PM
You know if you think about it, it's more than one team getting preferential treatment.

Invescos..blatant holding, stalled drives kept alive
Pats...holding WR's in SB
Raiders....Gannons intentional grounding.

DJay23
11-06-2004, 06:57 PM
You know if you think about it, it's more than one team getting preferential treatment.

What do all of these teams have in common?

They've all been to the AFC title game, and 3 of them to the super bowl, in the last 6 years.

bkkcoh
11-06-2004, 07:06 PM

Don't forget the Phins and the phantom holding call.... :banghead:

MadMax
11-06-2004, 07:57 PM

Don't forget Elways " additional " 10 yard line of scrimmage. :shake:

DRU
11-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Whether they're breaking the rules or not, I like the way the Chiefs handled it this year MUCH better than last year's playoff game.

Last year it was the EXACT same routine. Everyone would line up, if Manning didn't like what he saw he walked up and down the line screaming out new plans. This presented a big problem for us because we just loved to show our blitz way too early. We'd get all up on the line and Manning would do his thing and they burned us every time.

This year, if we ended up showing our blitz too early and he began talking to everybody we backed out of it. Now, Manning has to either go with the change he just made or change it all over again...and there might not be time. I think it distrupted their plans on more than one occasion and an announcer even made the comment that there was a nice "game of chess" being played between Gunther and the offense of the Colts. If I remember correctly Bartee backed out of his blitz on that way you guys are talking about. I honestly can't remember how that play turned out, but I just remember them having a look like "ah dammit" when he got back on the receiver instead of staying up on the line.

Nothing is better than a pouty Peyton. :)

CosmicPal
11-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Nothing is better than a pouty Peyton. :)

How bout a derailed Peyton writhing on the ground with a hot, sweaty, angry Lionel Dalton sitting on his face after a sack?

DRU
11-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Yeah that works too!

Hydrae
11-06-2004, 10:40 PM
The other one I noticed recently is watch Roethlisbergers' right foot before the snap. He is stepping back before he gets the ball. I don't know, maybe if noone is in motion it is legal because he is not moving towards the line? :shrug:

Frosty
11-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Someone the Chiefs played earlier in the year would step forward in the shotgun right before the snap, almost every time. Not the "lift the leg to signal the center" thing, but actually step forward.

I have blocked out most of the beginning of this season from my mind but I'm thinking it was Delhomme. It was driving me crazy, watching it.

J Diddy
11-07-2004, 02:06 AM
What do all of these teams have in common?

They've all been to the AFC title game, and 3 of them to the super bowl, in the last 6 years.

dammit, it's our turn for the nfl to like us.

:harumph:

Earthling
11-07-2004, 04:26 AM
Its not who you know, its who you blow...

Deberg_1990
11-07-2004, 09:56 AM
So if all this is true in this tread......How come none of the CHiefs coaches or radio/tv guys ever mentioned that it was wrong?? I never heard one peep out of anybody??