PDA

View Full Version : 5-11 would be the best thing for KC

bobbything
11-07-2004, 07:01 PM
I forsee this team finishing 8-8. This, I believe, would be the worst thing for KC. A mediocre draft pick and a schedule that would probably land them at 8-8 next year.

5-11 would be the best possible thing for next season. However, if history proves itself, Carl would take a #8 draft pick and draft a tight end out of the Bluffton College to play mind games with Gonzalez.

Plus, if they go 5-11, ticket prices will only go up by 5%, rather than 12% and parking will only go up to $22 instead of $25.

DJay23
11-07-2004, 07:04 PM
While I don't want to give up yet (we could still pull our heads out and go 10-6) I have to agree. I'd rather it be all or nothing. Either make the playoffs or land in a nice draft position.

However, that's assuming King Carl will know what to do with a high draft pick.

htismaqe
11-07-2004, 07:06 PM
All of the ridiculous sarcasm about Carl Peterson aside, going 8-8 is the LAST thing this team needs.

chief52
11-07-2004, 07:08 PM
I forsee this team finishing 8-8. This, I believe, would be the worst thing for KC. A mediocre draft pick and a schedule that would probably land them at 8-8 next year.

The schedule is set and has been for the last 2 years. 14 of 16 games are the same for all teams in the division regardless of where they finish.

Deberg_1990
11-07-2004, 07:11 PM
I dont trust Carl anymore with a top 10 pick....*cough, Ryan Sims *cough

CanadaKC
11-07-2004, 07:23 PM
We are currently in a ten way tie with teams with a 3-5 record.
Those teams include Buffalo, Arizona, Washington, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Cincinnati, Oakland, Chicago, and New Orleans...our next opponent.
Among those teams...the Bills, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, and Chicago look like they're on the way up. The Chiefs, Dallas, Oakland (despite their win today over 1-7 Carolina), Washington, and New Orleans (our next opponent) are sliding. We then have a schedule from hell. My guess is a top ten pick...maybe higher if we lose to the "Aints"
next week.

Miles
11-07-2004, 07:30 PM
I dont trust Carl anymore with a top 10 pick....*cough, Ryan Sims *cough

That pick made sense at the time. While he is a bust, at the time it was regarded as solid by the talking heads. It wasnt a reach at all.

Mr. Laz
11-07-2004, 07:32 PM
All of the ridiculous sarcasm about Carl Peterson aside, going 8-8 is the LAST thing this team needs.

i don't find it ridiculous at all

bobbything
11-07-2004, 07:33 PM
That pick made sense at the time.
I would disagree. He had one good year at UNC and that's it. His coach didn't even think he was good enough to get drafted, let alone in the 1st round.

CanadaKC
11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
This bb would completely implode if we lose to the lowly saints next week. I just had hernia surgery and today's game gave me no other choice but to drink with my tylenol with codiene. :bong:

Miles
11-07-2004, 07:37 PM
I would disagree. He had one good year at UNC and that's it. His coach didn't even think he was good enough to get drafted, let alone in the 1st round.

He was projected to be that high at the time by the so called "draft experts" Many high picks only have one good year and they are drafted based completly on potential.

chiefsfan1963
11-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I agree, but it won't happen. It will be a challenge to lose 4 of the remaining 8 games if not 6. 9-7 appears to be more realistic final record.

I am very bummed about this season. I've decided to tape all the remaining games from here on out and watch the game later after dinner on Sundays. I was definately hoping that our D would be able to get it done without more talent, but sadly this is not the case. All I can hope for is that DV's final year will be the year we go all the way. :(

bobbything
11-07-2004, 07:56 PM
He was projected to be that high at the time by the so called "draft experts"
Well, if his own coach didn't think that highly of him, I'm surprised to find out he was ranked so high.

Bottom line, when was the last time he did anything, right or wrong? He's simply a non-factor.

Logical
11-07-2004, 08:02 PM

Ridiculous = dead on

Mr. Laz
11-07-2004, 08:03 PM
i dont have a problem with the Sims pick...

it was the guy they wanted ... a position of need

sometimes the picks dont work out

what really sucked about the sims pick is the price we paid to move up 2 stinkin spots.

no, the sims pick was a viable pick

not like the Larry Johnson pick or the Omar Easy pick or the dozens of other Bullchit picks of the last several years that made very little sense.

Calcountry
11-07-2004, 08:03 PM

5-11 would be the best possible thing for next season. However, if history proves itself, Carl would take a #8 draft pick and draft a tight end out of the Bluffton College to play mind games with Gonzalez.

Plus, if they go 5-11, ticket prices will only go up by 5%, rather than 12% and parking will only go up to $22 instead of $25.
I think Carl is PO'd at all the dammit Carl shit and will be looking to vacate Arrowheads lease because that measure didn't pass.

Calcountry
11-07-2004, 08:04 PM
We are currently in a ten way tie with teams with a 3-5 record.
Those teams include Buffalo, Arizona, Washington, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Cincinnati, Oakland, Chicago, and New Orleans...our next opponent.
Among those teams...the Bills, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati, and Chicago look like they're on the way up. The Chiefs, Dallas, Oakland (despite their win today over 1-7 Carolina), Washington, and New Orleans (our next opponent) are sliding. We then have a schedule from hell. My guess is a top ten pick...maybe higher if we lose to the "Aints"
next week.
The Chiefs suck ass on the road. No way they finish 500 now. I am looking for 6-10 season.

Logical
11-07-2004, 08:06 PM
I agree, but it won't happen. It will be a challenge to lose 4 of the remaining 8 games if not 6. 9-7 appears to be more realistic final record.

I am very bummed about this season. I've decided to tape all the remaining games from here on out and watch the game later after dinner on Sundays. I was definately hoping that our D would be able to get it done without more talent, but sadly this is not the case. All I can hope for is that DV's final year will be the year we go all the way. :(

I don't know how you get that. The way everyone is playing I can see:

Losses to
New England
Denver
San Diego (twice)
Raiders in Oakland

with a slight possibility of losing to NO.

Calcountry
11-07-2004, 08:06 PM
The Chiefs suck ass on the road. No way they finish 500 now. I am looking for 6-10 season.
Heck, I would be surprised if they win next week against that tough Saints team.

Question to DV,

"how does it look this week"

DV" Well the Saints are a good football team, and it is going to be tough to beat them. We are going to have to play well to beat them, they are a well coached football team, yada yada yada yada".

Hey DV, I wonder if Gruden said that about our Defensive Secondary last week???

Taco John
11-07-2004, 08:11 PM
However, that's assuming King Carl will know what to do with a high draft pick.

What more proof do you need than Ryan Sims?

TheNextStep
11-07-2004, 10:05 PM
I do not now, nor have I ever, understood fans talking about "we should play for a higher pick in the draft."

On one of the other message boards I go to, I'm actually having this same discussion with Raider fans, given the way our season has gone to date. It is painfully obvious to us that we are not going to make the playoffs so some are suggesting that we ought to "play for a higher draft pick" at this point.

Here's the argument I made to them and that I will now make to you:

If you start deliberately playing for draft picks, it means that you're deliberately trying to throw the season down the drain. I feel that if you actively design a culture of losing, you're going to reap what you sow: you're going to end up with a team full of losers - and once you've done that, it is hard to undo. What is the point in getting the number 1 overall draft pick if the way you conduct your football operations just turned 3 or 4 promising prospects into guys who don't play to win? Or if you turn your veterans into "paycheck players" because they know you tanked the last 9 games of the season? Or if you can't bring in any free agent talent in the off-season because everyone knows that your team is one that might fold up its tents if the first 6 games don't go as planned?

It is simply a horrible way to develop players... a horrible way to retain free agents... a horrible way to attract free agents. It is a horrible business strategy.

And from a fan's perspective, I hate the idea even more! In any given year, I get anywhere from 16-19 Sundays that I can cheer my team on. This year, it'll be 16 Sundays. That's out of 52 Sundays in the year. You think I want to be greeted with disappointment - especially due to the team deliberately tanking - for the rest of the season? Hell no, I don't.

Rain Man
11-07-2004, 10:08 PM
What more proof do you need than Ryan Sims?

Derrick Thomas?

suds79
11-07-2004, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=TheNextStep]I do not now, nor have I ever, understood fans talking about "we should play for a higher pick in the draft."

On one of the other message boards I go to, I'm actually having this same discussion with Raider fans, given the way our season has gone to date. It is painfully obvious to us that we are not going to make the playoffs so some are suggesting that we ought to "play for a higher draft pick" at this point.

Here's the argument I made to them and that I will now make to you:

If you start deliberately playing for draft picks, it means that you're deliberately trying to throw the season down the drain. I feel that if you actively design a culture of losing, you're going to reap what you sow: you're going to end up with a team full of losers - and once you've done that, it is hard to undo. [QUOTE]

Weren't the rams 4-12 before they won the SB? It wasn't good I know that.

In this league, teams can go from good to bad or vise versa in an instant.

Bottomline, this team doesn't have any talent on D and I'm willing to see them do what ever they've got to do to get some impact players.

TheNextStep
11-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Weren't the rams 4-12 before they won the SB? It wasn't good I know that.

In this league, teams can go from good to bad or vise versa in an instant.

Bottomline, this team doesn't have any talent on D and I'm willing to see them do what ever they've got to do to get some impact players.

And what I'm saying is that what they've got to do is play their asses off and try to turn this thing around. You do not develop young talent by instructing them to take a dive. You do not retain your free agents by throwing away a season. You do not attract free agents by creating a culture where losing is not only acceptable but is, in fact, the desired result. When you espouse such a culture and aim for such a low goal, you are shooting yourself in the foot, both in the short and long term. While you bring up the Rams as a team that turned it around in short period of time, I counter that the Rams weren't deliberately tanking games so they are a poor example.

dtebbe
11-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Going 5-11 would present a real problem in the draft for Carl. That pick may not be enough to get the Fullback he covets. :rolleyes:

DT

mcan
11-07-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when we win this division... Geez, you guys are going off like little kindergardners that didn't get their favorite toy...

We lost today. The defense gave up too many yards, and Trent got picked off twice. Kennison fumbled away 6 points, and we still only lost by three. We did SOOOO many things that should have lost that game, including penalties and mental breakdowns. Still, the game was competitive and we could have overcome those mistakes.

Bottom line... This team is better than their record. We have only deserved to lose 3 out of the 5 losses, and we have every reason to believe that our offense can carry us to winning 7 or 8 games in a row... We did it last year, and we are a better team this year...

BigRedChief
11-07-2004, 11:50 PM
we get a top ten pick and then King Carl will blow the pick. King Carl must go.

CanadaKC
11-07-2004, 11:52 PM
No one has said here for the Chiefs to "intentionally" throw in the season.
What we wish for, however, is a good effort...all the while knowing full well that the playoffs are a pipe dream and our upcoming schedule is hell...which leads to (based on past teams in the same postion) a natural letdown by the team and coaches...hence a poor 2nd half of the season. We're basically being blunt about our chances and would like a silver lining...aka a high draft pick and possible franchise player. Is that too much to ask for? A player who the Chiefs can finally build their tema around? Every team goes through it...our time for this has unfortunately come. It has nothing to do with "attracting free agents" either....it's the cylce of football. Carl Peterson is a patchwork GM...not a visionary. He doesn't have the "forward thinking" vision of this franchise that he had duped us into believing he had. We've talked ad nauseum about this team for years here...and the denial by some is unbelievable. The Chiefs under Carl always "dangle the carrot"...but personnell changes are inevitable now. Carl made a longshot bet with this season and lost.

tk13
11-07-2004, 11:54 PM
I think it's hilarious how it seems (at least from what I've read) that everyone has either A) quit and given up or B) thinks we're not going to lose another game. It's an interesting radical difference...

CanadaKC
11-08-2004, 12:01 AM
It's also intersting how people here would rather point out "so-called flaws of character" in Chiefplanet members for speaking their minds about the team...rather than offer an opinion themselves. :p

tk13
11-08-2004, 12:06 AM
It's also intersting how people here would rather point out "so-called flaws of character" in Chiefplanet members for speaking their minds about the team...rather than offer an opinion themselves. :p
Is that a shot at me? I don't think I was pointing out any character flaws. I don't think you can consider an opinion a flaw unless it's something really radical, definitely not an opinion about a football team.

BigRedChief
11-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Is that a shot at me? I don't think I was pointing out any character flaws. I don't think you can consider an opinion a flaw unless it's something really radical, definitely not an opinion about a football team.

There is no such thing as a "wrong opinion". Wellllll unless you think King Carl has done a good job.

Manila-Chief
11-08-2004, 12:23 AM
I agree we should not "throw" games, but we could play younger players to see how they do ... to develop them .. if we win then a plus ...

For you guys talking about no more losses ... one question ... why didn't it start yesterday! If we can't beat a team like Tampa ... when we had the opportunity to do it ... how do you think we can beat N.E., S.D., the donks, etc..... I'm not trying to be negative ... but, realisticly ... we do not have the talent on D to win a S.B. and if we can't win a S.B. or at least an AFC championship ... why bother ... better to get better draft picks...

I was hoping we were accending ... we just fell way back ... only a slight glimer of hope ... I for one will not hold my breath...

tk13
11-08-2004, 12:27 AM
I honestly have no clue what to expect, which is why I'm sticking to "taking it one week at a time". This team is good enough to whip anybody, including New England, including Pittsburgh. And this team is also good enough to shoot itself in the foot until it gets knocked out by Carolina.

Demonpenz
11-08-2004, 01:19 AM
i will state my prediction at the beginning of the year. Looking at the roster, and the scouting reports i think this team can be 8-8. Beating 8 teams would be about where i put them at the beginning of the season. I also feared john tait leaving, that hasn't been too much of a problem.

ChiefFripp
11-08-2004, 01:30 AM
That was just a gut wrenching mistake fest in Tampa. While I really don't see us winning the division anymore I'd hate to see The Chiefs playing for draft picks. I think the great players we have now would feel like they're being sold down river for the sake of the future and that would kill the best thing KC has...heart. They need to continue to play to win because that is really the foundation for future success. Man ,that sounded like a Tech-school advertisement.

Demonpenz
11-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Kansas City has no heart, Jared Allen maybe has it, but there are two specific plays that shows you the heart of this team. 3 men getting to the qb while 5 just stand around, LJ not picking up the blitz

DT4everaChief
11-08-2004, 06:22 AM
No matter what draft order we get Carl will probably draft a player that is best avaialable then for a position we need. I don't have much hope for this team and organization anymore they are more concerned about filling the stands than winning a Championship.