PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Review by Gamespy

ChiefFripp
11-08-2004, 12:12 AM
http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/halo-2/564301p1.html

Ok, I have looked over the first 7 pages on this site and didn't see this, so here it is. Halo 2 sounds like it actually EXCEDED the unreal hype it is garnering. Maybe this will erase some of the pains of that UGLY Chiefs game.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/halo2/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_story

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/557/557509p1.html

Pants
11-08-2004, 12:22 AM
****in right:

Gamespot: 9.4
IGN: 9.8
TeamXBOX: 9.9

David.
11-08-2004, 12:24 AM
I just got chub.

Pants
11-08-2004, 12:35 AM
I just got chub.

Huh?

I like Gamespy's "cons", LMAO they are pretty much saying there is nothing wrong with the game that they could find...

David.
11-08-2004, 12:37 AM
uhh nothing. Hey I got my xbox live working. We'll have to kick some ass later on.

David.
11-08-2004, 12:37 AM
I didn't preorder the game though. I just hope SOMEONE has it in.

Digital Takawira
11-08-2004, 12:38 AM
After playing and beating Halo 2, the Gamespot review is spot on, text-wise. You could argue tenths of a point on the score, but it has its share of problems. That said, its still one of the best games I've ever played.

Slight warning to those that may read the Gamespot review...it does reveal a couple of spoilers.

Digital Takawira
11-08-2004, 12:40 AM

I wouldn't worry, as Microsoft printed a ton of copies. I'd expect it to be as easy to find as San Andreas, which I was able to grab the day after it was released at Best Buy amongst 100 copies in the evening.

Pants
11-08-2004, 12:41 AM

They should, they are expecting monster sales. Almost as big as GTA:SA, considering the fact that there are 2x as many PS2s around.

And David, so far it's you, Ghost and I in the CP clan. I think there were a couple more here expressing their interest in joining us.

But let me warn those poeple, if you suck you can NOT joing our leet clan.

Just kidding.

David.
11-08-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm really good at Halo, but Halo 2 is a whole new game so :shrug:

Pants
11-08-2004, 12:43 AM
After playing and beating Halo 2, the Gamespot review is spot on, text-wise. You could argue tenths of a point on the score, but it has its share of problems. That said, its still one of the best games I've ever played.

Slight warning to those that may read the Gamespot review...it does reveal a couple of spoilers.

What do you do for a living? Microsoft employee? Editor?

And I read the review, but didn't see too many spoilers. I think you might have percieved them as such since you already beat the game...

But in your opinion is 9.4 too low?

Pants
11-08-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm really good at Halo, but Halo 2 is a whole new game so :shrug:

Nah the mechanics are the same from what I gather, only better graphics, new weapons, vehicles, and of course ONLINE.

Digital Takawira
11-08-2004, 12:46 AM
A friend of mine has a modded XBox and a "copy" of Halo 2. I personally think they should rate it equal to Halo 1, but like I said, a tenth of a point either way doesn't mean much.

Pants
11-08-2004, 12:53 AM
A friend of mine has a modded XBox and a "copy" of Halo 2. I personally think they should rate it equal to Halo 1, but like I said, a tenth of a point either way doesn't mean much.

You are saying it should be 9.7? IMO they all say it's a better game that it's predecessor, shouldn't it then get a better score?

Digital Takawira
11-08-2004, 01:02 AM
I think for it to be a better score, it needs to fulfill whatever's missing from the first, and deliver an equally revolutionary experience.

Vice City was technically better than GTA3 on every level, but GTA3 brought something I hadn't seen before, so I'd rate it higher.

With Halo 2, it introduces a lot of great things, but it still suffers from the same problems the first game does. I'd have no problem rating it a 9.8, but like I said, a 9.4, a 9.7 or a 9.8, its still a must-play.

ChiefFripp
11-08-2004, 01:08 AM
You are saying it should be 9.7? IMO they all say it's a better game that it's predecessor, shouldn't it then get a better score?
Well I bet it won't blow you away like the first Halo did for a few reasons. This game isn't the launch title of the most powerful console, Halo 2 is XBOX's last hurrah as Halo was it's intitiator. Part of the reason Halo blew you away was becase you never saw the PS2 come close to what the XBOX delivered with Halo(it made you hope EVERY upcoming XBOX title would exibit the quality of Halo, we can laugh at that now) . 3 years later it looks like the XBOX has another game of this calibre, finaly. Also,while All of the characters, enviroments and story were completely new in halo, now they're pretty much reashed, improved but rehashed.
That's why I think Halo 2 is getting a somewhat lower score, it's just not jaw-droppingly revelutionary like the first one was. Add to the mix that PC games REALLY overshadow console games and you lose a fraction of a point because of that.

Pants
11-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Dude, I'm getting the game for 10% single player and 90% multiplayer. So I don't really care about the single player component. The only way to make it better in that regard was better graphics, more customization, new weapons/vehicles/maps and of course LIVE. In that respect it improved as much as could (from what I read), so I'm stoked.

David.
11-08-2004, 01:10 AM
there's a single player part too?

:)

Pants
11-08-2004, 01:15 AM
Well I bet it won't blow you away like the first Halo did for a few reasons. This game isn't the launch title of the most powerful console, Halo 2 is XBOX's last hurrah as Halo was it's intitiator. Part of the reason Halo blew you away was becase you never saw the PS2 come close to what the XBOX delivered with Halo(it made you hope EVERY upcoming XBOX title would exibit the quality of Halo, we can laugh at that now) . 3 years later it looks like the XBOX has another game of this calibre, finaly. Also,while All of the characters, enviroments and story were completely new in halo, now they're pretty much reashed, improved but rehashed.
That's why I think Halo 2 is getting a somewhat lower score, it's just not jaw-droppingly revelutionary like the first one was. Add to the mix that PC games REALLY overshadow console games and you lose a fraction of a point because of that.

I've never had nearly as much fun playing any MP game on PC than Halo on XBOX. I've played CS and BF games.

ChiefFripp
11-08-2004, 01:23 AM
I've never had nearly as much fun playing any MP game on PC than Halo on XBOX. I've played CS and BF games.

Well to me nothing touches the Battlefield series but I see that as being a matter of taste not of it being better than Halo . I just love all the possibilities that game presents with vehicles, tactics and such. I play in clan matches so that helps, you see none of the tactics side in public servers.

Halo 2 sounds like it has a ton of ways to customize MP games so i'm sure that will add to its lifespan greatly.

Pants
11-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Well to me nothing touches the Battlefield series but I see that as being a matter of taste not of it being better than Halo . I just love all the possibilities that game presents with vehicles, tactics and such. I play in clan matches so that helps, you see none of the tactics side in public servers.

Halo 2 sounds like it has a ton of ways to customize MP games so i'm sure that will add to its lifespan greatly.

Yeah that's true, I've never played BF games competitively, I'd be probably of a different opinion had I done it. Played a lot of CS my sophomore year in highschool after being introduced to it. Had to stop, it was getting rediculous how much time I was spending playing that crack shit.