PDA

View Full Version : Well color me shocked.

donkhater
11-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Shocked, I say.

I can't even fathom how a former first round pick that has played sparingly in the NFL looked nothing like Priest Holmes in yesterday's game.

I don't understand how a RB, who has no cohesion with his offensive line, no trust from his head coach and playing against a pretty good defense didn't ring up numbers comparable to Holmes.

I mean, all Holmes has done over the last three and a half seasons is break the franchise record for TD's and yards from scrimmage--records that took a LOT longer to set in the first place. Holmes, if he is healty and maintains the current pace, will become the only player in NFL HISTORY to have 4 straight 2000 yard seasons and 3 straight 20 TD seasons.

I really just don't understand why LJ can't come off the bench in the third quarter and duplicate that production. :hmmm: [/sarcasm]

Lzen
11-08-2004, 12:17 PM
I'm shocked by LJ's arrogance. All this whinin' and cryin' about wanting to play and then wanting to be traded to somewhere that he can play. Then, he gets his chance and doesn't look too good. Albeit, this was his first real chance to play. But from what I saw out of him yesterday, it doesn't look like Vermeil and staff were wrong in placing him 3rd on the depth chart. And I've been in support of Larry. So, you can't call me a hater.

Lzen
11-08-2004, 12:18 PM
On another note, Priest didn't look too good in his first game as a Chiefs, either. So, I'll cut Larry a little slack for now. But he's going to have to put up or shut up.

donkhater
11-08-2004, 12:24 PM
All I know is that there have been plenty of RBs in the league that have taken a while to make an impact in the league because of varying factors (health, opportunity, system). Most people in this forum are football savy enough to know that.

But those same people are feircely loyal to one of the hardest working, toughest RBs in the game and have had the pleasure to watch him over the last 3.5 years do his thing.

No shock to me then, that when a highly rated RB that wants to prove himself starts to clamor for time behind him, he is not liked by the forum.

I, for one, am going to give him, the coaching staff and the O-line time to find out how to best use his talents (if Priest is, in fact out for a while).

The board curses Peterson for drafting him, but I shutter to think if he traded him to someone for next to nothing and he became a top RB in the league what the meltdown on this board would be.

ck_IN
11-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Personally I don't quite see all the venom that's being directed at LJ. Granted he wasn't Priest and he didn't have the quicks that Holmes has but some of his runs didn't look bad.

The goal line sequence was just good defense/bad blocking. He had some draws that went for nice gains and some good catches. That said I'd still take Blaylock any day but I'd give him mucho time if Priest is hurt. There's no sense in keeping him if we intend to keep Priest and Blaylock. We might still be able to package him in a trade.

cash1000
11-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Why in the hell with the defensive performance in the DV era didn't the Chiefs load up drafting linebackers and defensive backs immediately after at least season 2, trying to find some impact players on the worst defense in football. Instead their main focus is constantly upgrading the offense it makes no sense!

KC Kings
11-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Peterson is an idiot!!! We would have won that game yesterday, ad we traded Johnson for McCardell a month ago, and brought up Ronnie Cruz to play the second half. [/sarcasm]

KCWolfman
11-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Peterson is an idiot!!! We would have won that game yesterday, ad we traded Johnson for McCardell a month ago, and brought up Ronnie Cruz to play the second half. [/sarcasm]
Only if McCardell could play RB and reach forward through DBacks to grab the Interceptions ROFL

Calcountry
11-08-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm shocked by LJ's arrogance. All this whinin' and cryin' about wanting to play and then wanting to be traded to somewhere that he can play. Then, he gets his chance and doesn't look too good. Albeit, this was his first real chance to play. But from what I saw out of him yesterday, it doesn't look like Vermeil and staff were wrong in placing him 3rd on the depth chart. And I've been in support of Larry. So, you can't call me a hater.
Especially when he is playing behind a guy who is putting up hall of fame numbers.

donkhater
11-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Why in the hell with the defensive performance in the DV era didn't the Chiefs load up drafting linebackers and defensive backs immediately after at least season 2, trying to find some impact players on the worst defense in football. Instead their main focus is constantly upgrading the offense it makes no sense!

At the time of LJ's drafting, the selection made some sense. DV, despite being head coach of one of the worst defenses ever, claimed that there was no rookie that could come in and unseat a starter.

(Side Note: That statement right there should at least be some indication of what's wrong with the Chiefs' defense)

The last two games of that 2002 season the offense performed terribly while Priest was out. Therefore, if the Chiefs were looking to add depth, running back certainly was one of if not the thinnest position on the squad. Not a good thing if your entire offense revolves around the offensive line controlling the ball game with the running attack and taking pressure off a talentless, yet effective, passing game.

In April of 2003 (when the draft was held), it was my understanding that Priest was still on crutches and making noise about holding out. For a team that has no defense, it was starting to look as if they would be without an impact player at the most important position on this offense as well.

Peterson made a good selection in LJ. Eventually Priest turned out to be fine and Blaylock (after two YEARS in this offense mind you) showed some promise as a backup and, predictably, the fans go ape over the selection.

Was LJ the right RB? I don't know, but it was a good move by Peterson to draft a RB in that draft be it in round 1, 2 or later. If he was more mature about his situation, I imagine that some of you would be a little more in his corner.

MOhillbilly
11-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Hes a first round pick thats had two years to p/u on the speed & vision of the pro game and he looked like he was a 5th round rookie.

donkhater
11-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Hes a first round pick thats had two years to p/u on the speed & vision of the pro game and he looked like he was a 5th round rookie.

Go back a read some threads around the first two games of Holmes' career here in KC. You'll read a lot more harsh critisim of Priest than that.

You really ought to consider a career in pro scouting if you can determine how good a RB is based on 10 carries against a pretty good defense.

Iowanian
11-08-2004, 01:37 PM
It wasn't the 2.1 ypc, aided by 1 11 yd gimme that shocked or upset me.........It was the tripping on his own feet, hesitation through the holes, lack of burst, running into Willi Roaf........the giant man in the bright red Jersey with the 77 on it...............

No..........it was the post game radio interview where he talked about how well he thought he did.

MOhillbilly
11-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Go back a read some threads around the first two games of Holmes' career here in KC. You'll read a lot more harsh critisim of Priest than that.

You really ought to consider a career in pro scouting if you can determine how good a RB is based on 10 carries against a pretty good defense.

havent given up on him.yet.

but i dont have his nuts in my mouth either.

Iowanian
11-08-2004, 01:40 PM

Thats not really accurate...............Mewelde Moore in Minn was at least A 5th rounder, and he's holding off Michael Bennet(their first rounder)

Compare him to Steven Jackson(first year).............based on their last 10 carries.........Mike Cloud is twice the back Johnson is.

Spicy McHaggis
11-08-2004, 01:44 PM
It wasn't the 2.1 ypc, aided by 1 11 yd gimme that shocked or upset me.........It was the tripping on his own feet, hesitation through the holes, lack of burst, running into Willi Roaf........the giant man in the bright red Jersey with the 77 on it...............

No..........it was the post game radio interview where he talked about how well he thought he did.

Wait LJ said he thought he did well? I totally missed that.

Iowanian
11-08-2004, 01:45 PM
yes he did...........He basically said "it was great to have an oportunity to show what I can do. I could have gotten a couple of more yards on a couple of plays....I always want a couple of more yards.........but I thought I did pretty good"

BIG_DADDY
11-08-2004, 01:46 PM
LJ is athletic, I don't know if playing time will help him though his problem seems to be under the helmut.

Brock
11-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Willis McGahee.

chiefz
11-08-2004, 01:59 PM
I agree with you Donkhater,

I thought LJ did fairly well considering the TB defense had pretty much shut down Holmes through 3 quarters and he had only taken 1 snap all season prior to this game.

Seems like everyone thinks that Blaylock is the second coming of Holmes but I remember the first two years he was here and he didn't do squat.

Blaylock has had 4 years to learn the system.

I am not saying that Johnson is better than Blaylock or that Blaylock is no good but Johnson did manage to rack up 59 total yards in a little over a quarter of play when TB held Priest Holmes down to 62 yards and a TD through almost 3 quarters.

I am not sure Blaylock would have done any better, TB pretty much shut down the RB position throughout the game.

Iowanian
11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Its not about the production for me at all...........Its about "HOW" he acted with the ball.......hesitant, tentative, undecisive, slow........

Gaz
11-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Its not about the production for me at all...........Its about "HOW" he acted with the ball.......hesitant, tentative, undecisive, slow........

Obviously, he should be playing Defense.

He has all the qualifications.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the cheap shot.

donkhater
11-08-2004, 02:07 PM
In other words, like someone playing meaningful minutes for the first time in their career.

Iowanian
11-08-2004, 02:12 PM
I'd buy that is so many rookies and first time players in the leage Didn't look at all the same.

Its his 2nd year in the system, yet he's not even comparable whatsoever to other teams backups.........

I wasn't a LJ "hater" before..............Willis McG in Buffalo had barely touched the ball in 2 seasons. StL has a rookie, Detroit has a rookie Starting.......

Its about how he looked lost, didn't make a decision, adn didn't run fast and hard to/through the hole.

I just think the Pro Game is too big for LJ. It was OBVIOUS why he's the backup to the backup.

Brock
11-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Chris Brown is far better as well. Without the vagina factor.

Iowanian
11-08-2004, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see a list of backups in the league, that Johnson supporters think he is better than, after yesterdays performance........

Spicy McHaggis
11-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Chris Brown is far better as well. Without the vagina factor.

He is better by far. And he was a what 3rd round pick I believe? IMO there is no reason that someone who is picked in the top 32 players in the country like LJ was, should be unable to contribute in a meaningful way in their second year.

chiefz
11-08-2004, 02:20 PM

He has never been a quick burst type player.

Anyone that watched him in college or played attention to the draft should know this.

He is an upright style runner that generally plowed a defender or two and dragged them a couple of extra yards (he did run flat over Shelton Quarles once).

I mean, the guy only ran a 4.62 in the forty I believe.

Brock
11-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Looked like a tap dancer to me. Whatever, he'll get some more chances most likely.

Spicy McHaggis
11-08-2004, 02:23 PM
LJ reminds me of a poor man's Eddie George.

chiefz
11-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I'd buy that is so many rookies and first time players in the leage Didn't look at all the same.

Its his 2nd year in the system, yet he's not even comparable whatsoever to other teams backups.........

I wasn't a LJ "hater" before..............Willis McG in Buffalo had barely touched the ball in 2 seasons. StL has a rookie, Detroit has a rookie Starting.......

Its about how he looked lost, didn't make a decision, adn didn't run fast and hard to/through the hole.

I just think the Pro Game is too big for LJ. It was OBVIOUS why he's the backup to the backup.

If you notice MyKneeHee didn't do jack squat the first couple of games he played this season either.

It wasn't until he STARTED and played the entire game against Miami (which everyone has ran over this season hence why they are the 31st rushing defense in the league) that he had a good game.

Even against Arizona (26th in the league against the rush) he needed 30 touches to break 100 yards at 3.4 yards per carry.

Not exactly spectacular numbers.

donkhater
11-08-2004, 02:47 PM
All I know is that a major point of disscussion this past offseason was the effect that John Tait's departure would have on the running game. If a changing a RT garners that much concern, shouldn't it be reasonable that changing the guy actually running the ball would generate more? Yet Welborn (who has actually started in 3 NFC Championship games) gets time to 'develop' but LJ is judged from the get go?

Maybe he isn't the one. His running style certainly differs from Priest's, but I'll give him a few more games, thank you.

Personally I think all this hate for LJ is based on the way he has handled the whole ordeal rather than what he can really do.

Lzen
11-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Personally I think all this hate for LJ is based on the way he has handled the whole ordeal rather than what he can really do.

That's probably a lot of it. If he didn't act like a whiney bitch and then sputter when he finally got the chance to show what he can do, most would probably give him more of a chance. Personally, I'll still give him time and see if he can turn into a productive NFL running back. After all, he IS still a Kansas City Chief. But if he doesn't turn into something after all that crying, I won't cut him any slack.

KCWolfman
11-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Is donkhater pink now?

"color me shocked" and the only color I can imagine is shocking pink.

chiefz
11-08-2004, 03:09 PM
That's probably a lot of it. If he didn't act like a whiney bitch and then sputter when he finally got the chance to show what he can do, most would probably give him more of a chance. Personally, I'll still give him time and see if he can turn into a productive NFL running back. After all, he IS still a Kansas City Chief. But if he doesn't turn into something after all that crying, I won't cut him any slack.

Would you say that Priest Holmes "sputtered" in this game?