PDA

View Full Version : Strahan out for season

wutamess
11-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Link (http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=2919)

November 8, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – And you thought yesterday’s news was bad…

The Giants learned today that both of their starting defensive ends, Michael Strahan and Keith Washington, suffered season-ending injuries in yesterday’s 28-21 loss to the Chicago Bears.

New York Giants
DE Michael Strahan clutches his chest after tearing his pectoral muscle during the Giants 28-21 loss to the Bears Sunday. Strahan will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery to repair the muscle Wednesday.
Strahan, the six-time Pro Bowler and the 12th-leading sacker in NFL history and one of the team’s very best and most important players, suffered a torn pectoral muscle. The injury was confirmed through MRI and ultrasound examinations today. Strahan will have surgery Wednesday. Washington tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Sunday’s game in Arizona will be the first one Strahan has missed since Dec. 17, 1995 when he sat out a game at Dallas with a hamstring injury. Strahan has started every game since entering as a reserve on Nov. 8, 1998 at Dallas. He has started 95 consecutive games and played in 137 straight games (136 starts). Strahan has played in 175 games in a Giants uniform, the sixth-highest total in franchise history. He has 118.0 career sacks, the second-highest total in Giants history after Lawrence Taylor’s 132.5.

Strahan had four tackles against the Bears, including a 14-yard sack of Craig Krenzel, the 57th different quarterback he has sacked.

“We see what Michael means to this team every time we take the field," said coach Tom Coughlin. "Michael is the one guy on our defense that opposing offenses know they have to figure out a way to block if they are going to be successful. This injury is a shame because Michael really enjoys playing in this defense. He bought into our defensive philosophy and our schemes and how he fits into it. On the field, our players look to him for inspiration. Actions inspire. What the average person doesn't see is what a leader Michael is in the locker room and in the weight room when nobody is watching. He genuinely enjoys and appreciates his relationship with his teammates and he is held in such a regard that he can compliment them when necessary but he can also criticize them without ruffling anybody's feathers. He always does a great job with his teammates of telling them exactly where we are and what we need to do. He is just an overall outstanding teammate."

This season, Strahan was fifth on the team with 35 tackles (25 solo) and was tied with Fred Robbins for the team lead with four sacks. He also leads the team with three fumble recoveries.

Washington, who had split time on the right side with Osi Umenyiora, had 17 tackles (12 solo), a sack and a forced fumble. He was hurt in the second quarter on Sunday.

“It was just a play where I had fallen down and as I was getting up, it seemed like one of the guys had me by the top of my jersey and I couldn’t really regain my balance,” Washington said. “When I planted my left foot some weight came down it, so it was pretty awkward.”

Although not as newsworthy as Strahan’s loss, Washington’s absence will hurt the defense.

“Keith was a very, very steady guy who gave us outstanding hard-nosed play,” Coughlin said. “That allowed us to use Osi in the way we wanted to and Keith in the way we wanted to. Obviously, that rotation has been impaired.”

When Washington and Strahan went down on Sunday, they were replaced by Umenyiora and Lance Legree, who normally plays tackle. The Giants currently have no other defensive ends on their roster.

“Guys are an injury away from being a starter, so that’s the way guys should always approach it,” Washington said. “Anything can happen any given day and it just happened that yesterday was pretty bad as far as the health part of the defensive line. But we have talent to continue to go on.”

One possible reinforcement is Lorenzo Bromell, an offseason free agent acquisition who has been on the physically unable to perform list because of knee surgery he had in June. Bromell has been practicing and the Giants must decide by tomorrow whether to add him to the active roster or put him on injured reserve (a decision must also be made on guard Rich Seubert, who has not practiced).

Asked if Bromell is healthy enough to play, Coughlin said, “We’re going to see.” Will he be put on the roster? “I’m not saying that yet,” Coughlin said. “We still have 24 hours. He practices in a limited fashion. At times he’s been able to do a lot of things and on other days he’s sore. I’ve got to gather all that information.”

Though disappointed, Coughlin was philosophical about the injuries.

“It’s part of our game,” he said. “We’ve been fortunate in a lot of ways week-in and week-out. If you just want to talk about the defensive line, we’ve been very fortunate. But to play eight games as we have and then lose two starters, that’s a difficult blow, obviously. But we’re doing the best we can and we’ll make whatever adjustments we can and figure out how we’re going to go about our business.”

Sure-Oz
11-09-2004, 12:21 AM
damn that sucks, i don't knwo what sucks more that or Kurt warners losy td totals

Phobia
11-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Wow - Brett Favre sure has had a lot of loved ones going down this year....