PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Ticket news

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 07:40 AM
In a 3.5 billion dollar deal, Directv has locked up exclusive rights to ST through 2010. No cable and no Dishnotwork. You can read the article at DBSTalk.com. Note to Lzen: You're screwed

Rausch
11-09-2004, 07:41 AM
In a 3.5 billion dollar deal, Directv has locked up exclusive rights to ST through 2010. No cable and no Dishnotwork. You can read the article at DBSTalk.com. Note to Lzen: You're screwed

But...but....(insert local cable co.) SWORE they'd get the contract this year! :deevee:

Nzoner
11-09-2004, 07:46 AM
Excellent news,could be time to add two more tv's.

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 08:19 AM
And that would make what....11 TV's?

teedubya
11-09-2004, 08:35 AM

actually you should add six tvs''' on on top of each of your satellite tvs...that way you get that "Im in a TV store" feel.

morphius
11-09-2004, 08:37 AM
How close are they to getting rid of the boxes? Maybe then I will be intrested...

Hammock Parties
11-09-2004, 08:40 AM
How close are they to getting rid of the boxes? Maybe then I will be intrested...

Boxes?

Bob Dole
11-09-2004, 08:43 AM
actually you should add six tvs''' on on top of each of your satellite tvs...that way you get that "Im in a TV store" feel.

Bob Dole is looking forward to the next trip up where Joe has a complete wall of smaller televisions configured as one large screen.

morphius
11-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Boxes?
You know, the extra piece of equipment you have to have hooked to every TV in the house, that adds one more remote that isn't setup to control the audio on your sound system but only your TV, even though my $15 remote can handle this and allows... Oh, and doesn't allow a two tuner PiP TV set to work without a second box...

Oh the pain...

dirk digler
11-09-2004, 08:46 AM
You know, the extra piece of equipment you have to have hooked to every TV in the house, that adds one more remote that isn't setup to control the audio on your sound system but only your TV, even though my $15 remote can handle this and allows... Oh, and doesn't allow a two tuner PiP TV set to work without a second box...

Oh the pain...

Morphius I have my audio system hooked up to my TV and the DTV remote controls everything. The DTV receiver has audio outs on the back.

I can't speak about the 2 tuner PiP.

Nzoner
11-09-2004, 08:52 AM
And that would make what....11 TV's?

Only 10,however,if not mistaken that is the number of the most games they've ever had on at one time.

morphius
11-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Morphius I have my audio system hooked up to my TV and the DTV remote controls everything. The DTV receiver has audio outs on the back.

I can't speak about the 2 tuner PiP.
Cool! One part down...

Bob Dole
11-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Looks like they are still negotiating on the deal where they can change days on late season games to offer more interesting matchups on MNF.

What a logistical nightmare.

Lzen
11-09-2004, 09:55 AM

Bah, why should I care? I don't give a flying fark about the other games. There is only 1 game I like to watch every week. :p No way I would pay good money to watch all the NFL games.

BigMeatballDave
11-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey, SKip...

WHen is DTV going to offer MORE HD programming choices? The line-up they currently have is a joke. I'm not forking over 300 for an HD reciever for a handfull of channels...

Lzen
11-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Not to speak for Skip and this does not specifically address your question but, I'll throw it out there anyway. The FCC is making it mandatory that all broadcasts be in HD by 2007( I believe - either that or 2006). I'm wondering how that will affect those of us who don't have a single HD TV. Guess we'll have to buy converters. :cuss:

Iowanian
11-09-2004, 11:28 AM
sucks.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I have a friend who had Dish Network and he says he can access all the games every week through hitting local channels. He says he pays nothing for that too. I would like a confirmation on someond doing the same I am looking to ditch DTV for all the lawsuits they handed out.

BigMeatballDave
11-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Not to speak for Skip and this does not specifically address your question but, I'll throw it out there anyway. The FCC is making it mandatory that all broadcasts be in HD by 2007( I believe - either that or 2006). I'm wondering how that will affect those of us who don't have a single HD TV. Guess we'll have to buy converters. :cuss:I believe its the start of '06. I think what I heard is they have to broadcast in HD, as well as standard...

Lzen
11-09-2004, 11:32 AM
I guess you could get all the local channels of those teams. But I believe each of those channels is like a buck 50 a month. Sure would beat paying the DTV Sunday Ticket premium, though. Then again, the teams that didn't sell out would have to be blacked out.

BigChiefFan
11-09-2004, 11:36 AM
sucks.
Bah. After you watch a Chiefs game in HDTV you won't be saying that. I think making this madatory is a GOOD thing. Why not have improved picture for ALL channels?

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey, SKip...

WHen is DTV going to offer MORE HD programming choices? The line-up they currently have is a joke. I'm not forking over 300 for an HD reciever for a handfull of channels...
I dunno. I just do contract work for them. They don't let me in on their secrets.

Ralphy Boy
11-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Can you record a Sunday Ticket game on your VCR?

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Can you record a Sunday Ticket game on your VCR?
Yes you can.

Saulbadguy
11-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Again, call me when they offer the HD Receiver + TIVO for a reasonable price.

alanm
11-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Oh the joy I await when I find out how much the Sunday Ticket will skyrocket in price next year.PBJ

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Again, call me when they offer the HD Receiver + TIVO for a reasonable price.
You whiny little bitch. If you can afford an HD Television that costs a couple grand you should have no problem with paying $500 for a receiver to make it work. That fact is what is driving the price. They are simply milking the folks that have more money than brains. The price of the receivers will come down when the price of HD TV's do and not before. I've said that on here 5,000,000,000,000,000 times.

Saulbadguy
11-09-2004, 08:22 PM
You whiny little bitch. If you can afford an HD Television that costs a couple grand you should have no problem with paying $500 for a receiver to make it work. That fact is what is driving the price. They are simply milking the folks that have more money than brains. The price of the receivers will come down when the price of HD TV's do and not before. I've said that on here 5,000,000,000,000,000 times.
500 bucks? Thats not too unreasonable. They were $1,000.

Edit: Just checked BBuy, still $1,000.

They are still alot of money when compared to the television. Cable is renting them out for 10 bucks a month.

Miles
11-09-2004, 08:26 PM

I also though they were still around 1k. $500 isnt bad at all especailly if its one of the ones with a big ass hardrive. The ones digital cable offers are only 60gig and recording in HD takes up a ton of space.

Miles
11-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Edit: Just checked BBuy, still $1,000.

They are still alot of money when compared to the television. Cable is renting them out for 10 bucks a month.

Yeah a tuner/DVR shouldnt cost 2/3 of the price of a decent TV.

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 08:39 PM
I also though they were still around 1k. $500 isnt bad at all especailly if its one of the ones with a big ass hardrive. The ones digital cable offers are only 60gig and recording in HD takes up a ton of space.
I really don't know what they cost. They were $1000 about 6 months ago but there weren't enough of them to go around. Most dealers couldn't even get them at that price. Not a situation conducive to lowering the price. My experience with color TV when it first appeared was they were $2000, then as sales dropped, $1500, then $1000 and so on. I think Directv is just watching the TV mfgrs prices and acting accordingly. Down the road (how far is anybody's guess) HD receivers and HD TV's will be as affordable as standard definition equipment is now. All electronic equipment has been that way. My first VCR cost $600 and it had a wire that ran across the floor to my "remote control". Units much better than that now cost $40. They charge what the market will bear. Carl Peterson is an expert on the subject.

ROYC75
11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
OK, hang with me here ..... ( HDTV news )

I talked to the Direct TV customer service tonight, I'm thinking of axing my cable now since we have the local channels available here in Wstrn KY.

I asked him if they were ever going to switch Local channel programming to allow you to choose which areas local channels you could choose. He said, probally not, unless they got enough complaints from customers writing in.

I asked this cause once I had Local KC channels in KY.

But yet you can get west coast LA or east coast NY channels with your package. I advised him that was a crock, I'm not from either of those markets and have no desire to keep up with local news.( Not telling him why I wanted it anyways, locals sports teams )

We then got off on the HDTV info, he told me the market for HDTV is weak right now, too expensive after I mentioned it to him. He said that there aren't to many programs that really have it now anyways. As consumers continue to not purchase or continue to purchase, the price will come down, it always does.

But here is the kicker, he said that programs with HDTV will probally only be 50% programming by year 2009. Your old TV's will still work, that it's just the industry's new trick to sell another product ?

Is he right about this ? I was informed sometime ago that all programming by 2009 will be HDTV and you will be required to have new tv's to get the pictures or forced to watch a blurred picture on the old one .

Miles
11-09-2004, 10:56 PM

We then got off on the HDTV info, he told me the market for HDTV is weak right now, too expensive after I mentioned it to him. He said that there aren't to many programs that really have it now anyways. As consumers continue to not purchase or continue to purchase, the price will come down, it always does.

But here is the kicker, he said that programs with HDTV will probally only be 50% programming by year 2009. Your old TV's will still work, that it's just the industry's new trick to sell another product ?

Is he right about this ? I was informed sometime ago that all programming by 2009 will be HDTV and you will be required to have new tv's to get the pictures or forced to watch a blurred picture on the old one .

I think that may be a pessimistic look at it. In 2006 analog transmisions will cease which means to watch regular TV it will require an adapter box. However this doesnt apply to DTV and cable but just brodcast TV. Im not sure how this will affect picture quality on analog sets but i doubt it will be any lower quality than it is now.

Only 50% programming in HD is quite a lot. It would cover most anything popular and all live TV.

Hell by 2009 HD sets should be pretty mainstream anyways. They are starting to get reasonably priced and are about 2 years away from some of the better technologies being affordable to many people. Right now It seems to be at the end of the early adapter phase as it is.

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 11:06 PM

I talked to the Direct TV customer service tonight, I'm thinking of axing my cable now since we have the local channels available here in Wstrn KY.

I asked him if they were ever going to switch Local channel programming to allow you to choose which areas local channels you could choose. He said, probally not, unless they got enough complaints from customers writing in.

I asked this cause once I had Local KC channels in KY.

But yet you can get west coast LA or east coast NY channels with your package. I advised him that was a crock, I'm not from either of those markets and have no desire to keep up with local news.( Not telling him why I wanted it anyways, locals sports teams )

I didn't understand most of your post but I did catch your drift on the locals issue. Yes, I believe you once had the KC locals in KY. Both D* and E* cheated like mad several years ago until the FCC (or somebody) put the kibosh on it. And some are still grandfathered on it I hear. It is still being hashed out within the gubment. But believe me, both Directv(D*) and Dishnotwork(E*) are bound by gubment regulation. They absolutely can not give you any locals other than your own DMA (Designated Market Area). The Nielsen Co. is the sole authority on who is in what DMA. I continue to see Dishnotwork advertise they will give you all the locals you want so that you can get any Pro Football game you want on any Sunday. They are lying. Why would D* pay billions for the exclusive rights to those games if E* could just give it to you? Caveat Emptor!

Skip Towne
11-09-2004, 11:26 PM
You'd think this concept would be obvious to an IT guy like Saul.

It'll be a few years before anything HD related is in my home.

In the meantime, I'll mooch off my buddy with more money than he knows what to do with. :D
I'll be among the last to get HDTV. As for Saul, I think a squirrel ate his brains.

Earthling
11-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Having ST has only allowed me to watch about half of the Chiefs games om my TV...Most of the time a local station is carrying the game and I can't get local reception for shit...Same with most of the really good match-ups each Sunday...This is getting expensive for me as I always blow about $60 at the sports bar... :banghead: Sucks...

ROYC75
11-10-2004, 08:18 AM
I thought the guys was blowing smoke on the HDTV issues, it was easy to tell he was misinfromed of the issues, crap I know very little about it but have read it somewhere that the switch was coming.

I thought his 2009 date was off base,esp. the % of it. As for the prices of HDTV's coming down in prices, hey, that normal, they always charge $$$ in the beginning only to come down in time.

I had a hard time believing that the picture quality would be affected as well, probally a scare to go by a new TV, IMHO.

I can see DTV's concern with people getting a local channel to buy pass sporting events, it's all about the $$$$$.

Some day I'm moving back to KC ! ( at least I still want to.)

Saulbadguy
11-10-2004, 08:26 AM
I thought the guys was blowing smoke on the HDTV issues, it was easy to tell he was misinfromed of the issues, crap I know very little about it but have read it somewhere that the switch was coming.

I thought his 2009 date was off base,esp. the % of it. As for the prices of HDTV's coming down in prices, hey, that normal, they always charge $$$ in the beginning only to come down in time.

I had a hard time believing that the picture quality would be affected as well, probally a scare to go by a new TV, IMHO.

I can see DTV's concern with people getting a local channel to buy pass sporting events, it's all about the $$$$$.

Some day I'm moving back to KC ! ( at least I still want to.)
When all programming is HDTV I imagine you'd be able to get a downcoverter for your old TV. The picture quality on an HDTV is amazing, night and day. Its not an "industry trick".

Lzen
11-10-2004, 09:26 AM
From the November issue of Popular Mechanics:

Don't feel like dealing with HDTV yet? You may not have a choice. The Federal Communications Commission says it is phasing out analog TV transmissions in 2006. At that time, you won't be able to use your old set without a digital-to-analog converter. Not all the digital transmissions will be high-definition, but since switching to digital requires new equipment anyway, it might be wise to make the move to HDTV at the same time.

Heh, yeah. I won't be switching to HDTV unless the price comes down a lot. Right now, it's way too expensive for the average Joe like me. But the way it sounds, you'll at least need a converter. I wonder how much those will cost.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2004, 09:44 AM

Heh, yeah. I won't be switching to HDTV unless the price comes down a lot. Right now, it's way too expensive for the average Joe like me. But the way it sounds, you'll at least need a converter. I wonder how much those will cost.
I'd imagine the cable companies would give you one, or at least rent one to you :D

Anymore HDTV's aren't that much more expensive than SDTV's, when dealing with big screens. A standard 27"-32" is pretty cheap these days, around 300-450 bucks. An HDTV 27-32" is around 550-800.

There are, or were some Samsung sets for sale that were sold as SDTV, but there was a hack in the service menu to enable HDTV (1080i)..works pretty good too. :D

ROYC75
11-10-2004, 09:52 AM

Probally to damn much money for a box to .

This is another way to beef up the economy, build new TV's with high dollar prices that everybody will need or buy some damn expensive box.

How many Americans have multiple TV's in a house ? I have 4 here....

Do the math, # Of American homes with average # of TV's X price of TV or box = billions of $$$$$$$ for the industry.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2004, 10:05 AM

This is another way to beef up the economy, build new TV's with high dollar prices that everybody will need or buy some damn expensive box.

Do the math, # Of American homes with average # of TV's X price of TV or box = billions of $$$$$$$ for the industry.
They could lower the prices if they could guarantee demand. Problem with this country is the attitude. Very few early adopters, and more people content with watching their black and white 13" Emerson.

ROYC75
11-10-2004, 10:10 AM
They could lower the prices if they could guarantee demand. Problem with this country is the attitude. Very few early adopters, and more people content with watching their black and white 13" Emerson.

Guarantee demand ? :shake:

Hey, they have the power to do this ! Make it where the old TV's don't work, no boxes available, period .
The consumer would be forced to buy all new tv's, thus creating a guarantee demand . But they would have to bring the prices down to meet the consumers finances.

Skip Towne
11-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Guarantee demand ? :shake:

Hey, they have the power to do this ! Make it where the old TV's don't work, no boxes available, period .
The consumer would be forced to buy all new tv's, thus creating a guarantee demand . But they would have to bring the prices down to meet the consumers finances.
The gubment won't let them do that.

Lzen
11-10-2004, 10:29 AM

Yup, I have 3 myself. The one in my living room is only 1 year old, too. I don't plan on buying a high def set until the price comes down.

Saul,
it's easy to say a few hundred bucks is not that expensive. But think about if you had things like house payments, car payments, 3 kids, and 3 TVs how the budget doesn't work for having to replace those TVs. Add in the fact that I just bought a new set last year and I don't feel the need to spend several hundred dollars on a new set for the boys' room and you'll beging to understand. Not saying that you don't have some of those expenses already. Just saying when all that is added together, your budget becomes more limited. Just going by personal experience. When I was in my early 20s, I was able to buy a lot more stuff.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2004, 10:33 AM
Yup, I have 3 myself. The one in my living room is only 1 year old, too. I don't plan on buying a high def set until the price comes down.

Saul,
it's easy to say a few hundred bucks is not that expensive. But think about if you had things like house payments, car payments, 3 kids, and 3 TVs how the budget doesn't work for having to replace those TVs. Add in the fact that I just bought a new set last year and I don't feel the need to spend several hundred dollars on a new set for the boys' room and you'll beging to understand. Not saying that you don't have some of those expenses already. Just saying when all that is added together, your budget becomes more limited. Just going by personal experience. When I was in my early 20s, I was able to buy a lot more stuff.
It was more of a "relatively" thing. Especially since HDTV's a few years ago where almost triple the amount of regular TV's.

Lzen
11-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I would like to have an HDTV. No doubt they are much better. Maybe I'll end up buying one for the living room and put the current living room tv in the bedroom. But I'll still need a couple converters. I'm currently checking Best Buy for prices but I'm not having much luck finding them.

Lzen
11-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Damn, those digital-to-analog converters are expensive, too. This is the cheapest I've found so far.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=KELVS2V&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=196127

Saulbadguy
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
My ass.
My ass it isn't!

Saulbadguy
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Damn, those digital-to-analog converters are expensive, too. This is the cheapest I've found so far.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=KELVS2V&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=196127
What do you need one for?

BigChiefFan
11-10-2004, 11:17 AM
The converter isn't any big deal. In fact, we rent one from Time-Warner for less than $10 a month and it also works as a DVR. HDTV is above and beyond any regular television broadcasts and is well-worth paying the extra price, IMO. Watching television in HDTV is mind-blowing and I believe is getting a bad rap around here. The FCC making this mandatory is a GREAT thing.

BigChiefFan
11-10-2004, 11:36 AM
I don't know about that. As far as I've seen Skip and I are the only two who don't think HD is some sort of religious experience.
Guess you all are banging the drum loudly then. :p As far as Skip saying this, I'm surprised, isn't he a Direct TV installer? If so, I would have thought he would be pimping the shit out of HDTV. I guess HDTV isn't Direct TVs strong suit, huh? Anyway, I'm blown-away by HDTV-it's so much better and watching a football game in HD on a 60" TV is like a wet dream for me. :p To each his own.

Lzen
11-10-2004, 12:41 PM
What do you need one for?

According to the PM article(part of which I posted above), you'll need a converter if you don't have an HDTV. That is, when the FCC is requiring them to broadcast in HD only in 2006. Am I misunderstanding how this works?

Lzen
11-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Also, seeing how much the converter costs, it may be wiser to just buy an HDTV. :banghead: Here's to hoping the price comes down a lot between now and then.

Saulbadguy
11-10-2004, 12:59 PM
According to the PM article(part of which I posted above), you'll need a converter if you don't have an HDTV. That is, when the FCC is requiring them to broadcast in HD only in 2006. Am I misunderstanding how this works?
I don't think you will have to buy them.

Miles
11-10-2004, 01:53 PM

You will only need a converter if you want to view broadcast signals. If you have cable or dish you wont need one.