PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with DV, 7pm edition

Wile_E_Coyote
11-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Q&A with Dick Vermeil

Nov 10, 2004, 7:10:02 PM

DICK VERMEIL: “They came back and worked good like they normally do. They never surprise me.”

Q: Can you talk about your injury situation?

VERMEIL: “Shawn Barber is in Birmingham, Alabama to have a knee operation by Dr. Andrews who did his knee operation when he was with the Redskins. Priest did not work today. (Monty) Beisel practiced; Junior Siavii practiced. I think Dexter McCleon will practice tomorrow. Kris Wilson did a little more than he has been.”

Q: Will Monty Beisel go back to the outside linebacker spot?

VERMEIL: “Monty will go over where Shawn Barber was, what we call our weakside. Kawika (Mitchell) will stay inside. He did a lot of good things in the ballgame last week. I think he’s an ascending young linebacker. I just think it’s a good opportunity for him to stay there.”

Q: Will Keyaron Fox go weakside backup?

VERMEIL: “They’ll work Fox, too, over at the strong side behind Fujita.”

Q: You’ve seen guys who have been reserves step up. What is it about a reserve getting a shot after being an understudy?

VERMEIL: “I’ve seen it happen. I’ve seen some guys step up who were playing a role as a backup and then all of a sudden get a starting role and really ascend. I’ve seen a guy ascend to a point where the starting guy never gets his job back. More often than not, in our program, a defensive guy is a backup player because he’s a young player. We’re adding young talent and when the veteran gets healthy again he takes it over again. That normally happens.

“As we know, our games are so close that one mistake or one bad play can create a big play for the opponent and all of a sudden you lose the football game. You’ve got to make sure that the people who are in there are really sound in the knowledge and if they get beat it’s physically not physically and mentally.”

Q: How many carries do you want Larry Johnson to get this week?

VERMEIL: “I haven’t thought about it. I’d like to see him get more work.”

Q: Is he a better running back if he gets the ball more?

VERMEIL: “Any running back is a better running back if he gets to carry the ball more. It is almost impossible to come off the bench, carry it three times in different spots and play well. I don’t believe guys can do that. You can in the passing game, but not in the running game. You really have to get going.”

Q: Is that why you’ve always been a one-back coach?

VERMEIL: “I’ve always been a one-back kind of guy because I’ve never had two great ones. I can’t tell you what’s the most important snap in a football game. When you have a great football player with the ball in his hand you never know which snap is going to be a great one. When he’s sitting on the bench you know it’s not going to be one. Priest has touched the ball, I believe, 15 more times than he had last year at the same time.”

Q: How’s Johnson’s blitz pick-up? Are you confident he can do it?

VERMEIL: “He can do it. If he breaks down it would be recognition, a change in the defense or a variation of the blitz. In all the basic stuff he’ll do fine. He’s physical enough. He’ll take you on. He’s tough enough.”

Q: One mistake can cost you a ballgame, you said, are you concerned that Monty Beisel is now playing his third position this year?

VERMEIL: “You don’t worry so much about the reaction time in playing the physical side of the game, you worry about the breaking down of a man-coverage responsibility or a blitz responsibility or a blitz pick-up responsibility. Monty if he makes a mistake he makes it full-speed and then he goes on instinct and more often than not he’ll end up being right.

“Quinton Caver went into the ballgame the other day and had a couple of technical errors but played most of the game and played well without really playing a game of football in practice or with a first unit defense. It’s a great sign of the discipline of a young man like Quinton Caver in preparation. He’s always preparing to play even though he might not. We encourage our players to do that all the time because you just don’t know what snap you’re going to be called upon.”

Q: Is it a tough transition for a player changing positions on this defense?

VERMEIL: “No, it’s not. Monty’s probably more suited for that position than he is on the other side. In normal offensive formations it’s restricted a little less.”

Q: New Orleans isn’t running the ball like they were the last couple of years. Why?

VERMEIL: “I think (McAllister) has had an ankle problem. I think he’s been sharing the running because of injury problems.”

Q: You guys liked him coming out of college before you signed Priest. Was there any time you thought he might be your running back?

VERMEIL: “I’m not sure what year he came out. We liked him a lot because he’s big, strong, fast and a very fine receiver. He doesn’t have any limitations. He’s had some great years already.”