PDA

View Full Version : How is everyone doing on their weight loss program?

Mosbonian
11-13-2004, 10:27 PM
I know in one of the threads a few months back there was a little talk of everyone doing their different weight loss programs?

So, during this really frustrating Chief's season how is everyone doing? Has the roller-coaster season caused you to go off the weight loss wagon or has it caused you to take out your frustrations on the weight machines?

mmaddog

4th and Long
11-13-2004, 10:38 PM
The doctor told me a needed to watch my weight so ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/alcohol/images/beerbelly.jpg
I put it out where I could see it!
:p

Phobia
11-13-2004, 11:09 PM
I suck. I was feeling really good in February and I've put about 10-15 lbs back on since moving to KC.

I've just acquired a heavy bag and plan to hang it soon, so I'm gonna drop some of this insulation just in time for winter.

mikey23545
11-14-2004, 04:47 AM
How in the hell can I lose weight when I have to drink like this on Sundays?....

Cntrygal
11-14-2004, 09:44 AM
I know in one of the threads a few months back there was a little talk of everyone doing their different weight loss programs?

So, during this really frustrating Chief's season how is everyone doing? Has the roller-coaster season caused you to go off the weight loss wagon or has it caused you to take out your frustrations on the weight machines?

mmaddog

I'd give myself a "F" on the scorecard. ****in' pathetic. :shake:

How in the hell can I lose weight when I have to drink like this on Sundays?....

Tell me about it. :(

Mosbonian
11-14-2004, 09:48 AM
I've been doing well with mine......I am 3 lbs. away from my goal of losing 40 lbs. I wanted to get there before Thanksgiving and make sure that I ate intelligently after that. The holidays are always the worst for me, so I know that I will have to do something to help with maintenance.

I just wanted to see if all those who have been on their diets have been able to keep up with them during this up and down season.....

mmaddog

Skip Towne
11-14-2004, 09:49 AM
I'd give myself a "F" on the scorecard. ****in' pathetic. :shake:

Tell me about it. :(
Where have you been Cntrygal? You been hanging out on that Bills board again?

Cntrygal
11-14-2004, 09:51 AM
I've been doing well with mine......I am 3 lbs. away from my goal of losing 40 lbs. I wanted to get there before Thanksgiving and make sure that I ate intelligently after that. The holidays are always the worst for me, so I know that I will have to do something to help with maintenance.

I just wanted to see if all those who have been on their diets have been able to keep up with them during this up and down season.....

mmaddog

I didn't really go on a diet. I love food too much. I just have tried to eat healthier. Also, there's no snacks in the house.

Cntrygal
11-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Where have you been Cntrygal? You been hanging out on that Bills board again?

I've been over there a bit. But overall, I haven't been online as much. Work has been hetic and my mom had gotten really sick for awhile. So, I would just pop in here and see if there were any threads that just couldn't manage without a comment from me.... and then dash away again.

Mosbonian
11-14-2004, 09:58 AM
I didn't really go on a diet. I love food too much. I just have tried to eat healthier. Also, there's no snacks in the house.

I've actually gotten rid of soft drinks and sweets in the house. If I need something sweet to eat I usually have some sort of fruit, like oranges or apples. I usually drink either water, or if I need something a little different I will drink some Propel water.....I usually splurge once a week on a nice meal....have a diet soft drink...then do a little extra work on the machines.

mmaddog

Cntrygal
11-14-2004, 10:01 AM
I've actually gotten rid of soft drinks and sweets in the house. If I need something sweet to eat I usually have some sort of fruit, like oranges or apples. I usually drink either water, or if I need something a little different I will drink some Propel water.....I usually splurge once a week on a nice meal....have a diet soft drink...then do a little extra work on the machines.

mmaddog

I had a couple of injuries slow me down, so I should be happy that I just maintained "status quo". Oh well..... I'm going to attempt to hit the gym again.

jAZ
11-14-2004, 10:01 AM
My wife and I both decided to start on the "South Beach Diet" about a month and a half ago. South Beach is a low-carb diet similar to Atkins. The main difference is that South Beach diet actually wants you to eat sensible, low-fat foods (ie, you aren't allowed to a pound of bacon 3 times a day for you meal).

I also joined the Y and started working out 2-3 times per week (20 minutes circuit weight lifting and 20 minutes on the eleptical trainer).

During the strict first 2 weeks "Phase 1" period, I lost 8 pounds.

In the less strict next 2 weeks, I lost 8 more pounds (16 total).

Last weekend, my wife and I took a planned "vacation" (to Mexico and from the diet). I gained 6 pounds in 3 days from drinking beer, eating tortilla chips, eating candy and cookies, drinking coke, and having fried foods.
(edit: I remembered that I actually cheated once before this at a wedding by eating some wedding cake and about 6 mini-chimis, but I didn't really gain more than a pound or two.)

But I think the diet raised my metabolism because it only took 4 days to lose that same 6 pounds.

I am planning on cheating again at Thanksgiving, and maybe Christmas as well.

The diet is flexible, but sensible. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to lose weight.

As of today, I have lost 20 pounds in about 6 weeks (including my cheating vacation), and I have about 5 more pounds to go to reach my goal of 185.

The hardest things to give up were Pacifico Beer, fruit juice, italian food (pasta), garlic toast, french bread, sodas, candy and ice cream.

But it hasn't been as difficult as you might imagine. Once you get past the first 2 weeks or "phase 1", the restrictions get much easier - you can add 1 serving of "good carb" (whole grain or sour dough bread, a glass of wine, certain types of fruit and certain types of yogurt, etc.)

I'm 100% satistifed and would recommend the "South Beach" diet (really a lifestyle change, but whatever) to anyone.

Mosbonian
11-14-2004, 10:30 AM
My wife and I both decided to start on the "South Beach Diet" about a month and a half ago. South Beach is a low-carb diet similar to Atkins. The main difference is that South Beach diet actually wants you to eat sensible, low-fat foods (ie, you aren't allowed to a pound of bacon 3 times a day for you meal).

I also joined the Y and started working out 2-3 times per week (20 minutes circuit weight lifting and 20 minutes on the eleptical trainer).

During the strict first 2 weeks "Phase 1" period, I lost 8 pounds.

In the less strict next 2 weeks, I lost 8 more pounds (16 total).

Last weekend, my wife and I took a planned "vacation" (to Mexico and from the diet). I gained 6 pounds in 3 days from drinking beer, eating tortilla chips, eating candy and cookies, drinking coke, and having fried foods.
(edit: I remembered that I actually cheated once before this at a wedding by eating some wedding cake and about 6 mini-chimis, but I didn't really gain more than a pound or two.)

But I think the diet raised my metabolism because it only took 4 days to lose that same 6 pounds.

I am planning on cheating again at Thanksgiving, and maybe Christmas as well.

The diet is flexible, but sensible. I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to lose weight.

As of today, I have lost 20 pounds in about 6 weeks (including my cheating vacation), and I have about 5 more pounds to go to reach my goal of 185.

The hardest things to give up were Pacifico Beer, fruit juice, italian food (pasta), garlic toast, french bread, sodas, candy and ice cream.

But it hasn't been as difficult as you might imagine. Once you get past the first 2 weeks or "phase 1", the restrictions get much easier - you can add 1 serving of "good carb" (whole grain or sour dough bread, a glass of wine, certain types of fruit and certain types of yogurt, etc.)

I'm 100% satistifed and would recommend the "South Beach" diet (really a lifestyle change, but whatever) to anyone.

Congrats jAZ......

Your goal weight is the same as mine.....I've noticed most of what you are confining yourself to food wise is pretty much the same as me. I have ditched the "white bread" for "whole grain" bread and didn't even notice the difference.

Have you been doing any fat burn or cardio exercise?

mmaddog

Nzoner
11-14-2004, 10:50 AM
74 lbs since last February on a low carb program of my own.Didn't go with a set diet as there were certain things I didn't want to give up so I either cut back or just got creative in the preperation.

I've gained 10 lbs of it back since the season started,a few too many snacks and Boulevard beer.

jAZ
11-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Congrats jAZ......

Your goal weight is the same as mine.....I've noticed most of what you are confining yourself to food wise is pretty much the same as me. I have ditched the "white bread" for "whole grain" bread and didn't even notice the difference.

Have you been doing any fat burn or cardio exercise?

mmaddog
I set the eliptical trainer to "cardio" and run for 20 minutes. I make it my goal to go 2+ miles in that 20 minutes. I usually get my heart rate up to 170bpm, run at 70-80 cycles/minute and burn about 300+ calories in that 20 minutes.

I do that 3 times per week, plus the circuit weightlifiting which takes about 15-20 minutes if I don't have to wait for a machine. I do 1 set of 8, 10 or 12 reps on each station (total of 10).

The cool thing about the Y is that they use Fitlinxx (http://www.fitlinxx.com/). It's a computer system attached to all the machines (cardio and weights) that I use. It tracks every weight that you lift and every mile you run and coaches you through everything. Making sure that you are lifting slowly and not resting between reps. It even recommends higher weights when it thinks you might be ready to increase.

One cool thing they do, is that you earn points for working out (both weights and cardio) which you can use to buy stuff from Fitlinxx.

Saulbadguy
11-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Terrible, but my weight GAIN program is going very well.

jAZ
11-14-2004, 10:52 AM
I am 3 lbs. away from my goal of losing 40 lbs.
And congratulations to you too! 40 pounds is a big achievement! How long have you been working on this?

Mosbonian
11-14-2004, 11:26 AM
And congratulations to you too! 40 pounds is a big achievement! How long have you been working on this?

Thanks...Been going at it since the middle of August...just after I hurt my knee in the Show Me State Games.....

Usually what I do for weight training is 20 minutes in a "fat burn" at 4 mph burning 150 calories in a warm-up....

I then do a structured workout set by my trainer that consumes about 30 minutes in strength training....

I then do 30 minutes of a Cardio workout at 5 mph and can burn about 300 calories....I try to get my heart rate to 148 bpm...which is what the Dr. said i should get to for my age.....

I do this 3 times a week....

mmaddog

cadmonkey
11-14-2004, 12:08 PM
The only way I am ever going to lose weight is to stop drinking and that sure as sh*t ain't happening anytime in the near future.

GMitch
11-14-2004, 12:41 PM
I've lost 30 pounds since July on my own version of Atkins. I'm sure I could have done better if I had gotten more exercise. Hopefully, I can lose another 30 by next summer, dispite Thanksgiving and Christmas.

XXXshogunXXX
11-14-2004, 02:02 PM
I usually stay around 160 while running...then at the end of the run, I go as fast as I can and my bpm jumps to 199. Anyone knwo if thats safe?

Mosbonian
11-14-2004, 11:20 PM
I usually stay around 160 while running...then at the end of the run, I go as fast as I can and my bpm jumps to 199. Anyone knwo if thats safe?

I'm no Dr. but I can tell you that if my hbpm's went up to 199 my doctor would freak......

mmaddog

XXXshogunXXX
11-15-2004, 01:03 AM
it only lasts about 10 seconds..then i start walking and goes to 160..then lower...and lower..

SoCalRaider
11-15-2004, 01:13 AM
For the rest of us who aren't fat http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/images/smilies/033102ass_1_prv.gifes

Has anybody tried the new KONG bar? This shit unreal! :p

jAZ
11-15-2004, 09:51 AM
The only way I am ever going to lose weight is to stop drinking and that sure as sh*t ain't happening anytime in the near future.
Looks like you picked the WRONG season to quit drinking!

http://www.fast-rewind.com/airplane4.jpg

jAZ
11-15-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm no doctor either, but on the little diagram on the eliptical trainer that I use, it shows the range (upper and lower) for the target bpm for each age group, and it tops out at 181 for 18-30 year olds. I'm 31 so for me it tops out at 171. I will often run at 180, but 199 would be "off the charts" according to the little diagram on the machine.

Take that for what it's worth (which is nothing).

Predarat
11-15-2004, 01:25 PM
My weight loss program is going much better than expected. I have cut the beer all but out and picked up whisky in its place. I dont have to drink as much whisky and it doesnt seem to be as fattening. The way these games have been going i cant keep my food down either. I have lost 25 pounds the past week alone!