PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Fingers point to everyone

tk13
11-15-2004, 02:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10182849.htm

Fingers point to everyone

JASON WHITLOCK

NEW ORLEANS — When it was over, in the moments following Kansas City's incomprehensible and virtually impossible-to-recover-from collapse against the New Orleans Saints, the Chiefs didn't point any fingers of blame.

How could they?

There were far too many targets and not nearly enough fingers.

Losing 27-20 to the Saints, blowing a 10-point lead, drawing 12 penalties, turning nearly 500 yards of offense into just two touchdowns and bowing out of reasonable playoff contention took a total team effort.

Sunday's meltdown was just the culmination of a travesty that was forecast in February, when the Chiefs' brass decided last year's Chiefs should be retained for the 2004 season.

With Kansas City's season on the line, the receiver the Chiefs knew they needed to get rid of, Johnnie Morton, fumbled and caused an interception by falling down. The safeties the Chiefs handed new contracts — Jerome Woods and Greg Wesley — got roasted by Joe Horn late in the game and were whistled for three penalties. The defense the Chiefs' brass chose not to improve gave up 27 points and nearly 7 yards per play in just 24 minutes of action. And with Priest Holmes — KC's ATM (automatic touchdown machine) — sitting on the sideline in street clothes, the Chiefs' offense sputtered in the red zone.

There's no reason to point fingers. The Chiefs aren't a playoff-quality football team.

“The big picture doesn't look so good,” said defensive end Vonnie Holliday. “From here on out, every game is a playoff game.”

“Playoff hopes might be over,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil acknowledged after his team fell to 3-6. “That's the reality. … We just keep dropping further out of the picture.”

The fall began long ago. It's just that no one expected the Chiefs to hit rock bottom in the Big Easy. The Saints, 4-5, are a bad football team, led by a coach, Jim Haslett, who is on the verge of getting fired. The Saints field the league's worst defense. They're quarterbacked by a guy, Aaron Brooks, who has the leadership attributes of a wide receiver.

The Saints desperately wanted to play dead on Sunday. They're not on a playoff drive or a save-Haslett campaign.

Judging by New Orleans' stupid offensive play-calling — why did Deuce McAllister carry the ball only 16 times? — I'm not sure Haslett wants to save his job.

The Chiefs had to work hard to find a way to lose Sunday's game. They jumped ahead 10-0 in the first quarter. But they should have been up by three touchdowns after the first quarter. Morton blew one drive, fumbling at the New Orleans 15. On Kansas City's next possession, the Chiefs settled for a field goal after running six plays from inside the Saints' 6.

The Chiefs botched their opportunity to bury the Saints. Kansas City's defense rattled Brooks early. Gunther Cunningham's unit blitzed repeatedly, and Brooks couldn't recognize where to throw the football. When the quarter ended with the Chiefs up only a touchdown and a field goal, you could sense that the first 15 minutes would come back to haunt them.

Kansas City began to self-destruct in the second quarter. Three KC penalties sparked New Orleans' first touchdown drive. Two KC penalties sabotaged the Chiefs' ensuing offensive possession. Wesley drew a flag on the Saints' next TD drive.

The Chiefs were sloppy. By halftime, they'd been flagged 10 times and they trailed 14-13. Kansas City's self-destruction continued after the break. Quarterback Trent Green threw a laser at Morton's chest. Morton fell down, and the ball spiraled into the arms of New Orleans defensive back Mike McKenzie.

With the score knotted at 20-20 — on the play after Kansas City's defense had to waste a timeout because it had only 10 players on the field — Joe Horn split Wesley and Woods for the 42-yard decisive touchdown. Woods appeared to jump on an underneath route and react slowly to Horn's deep seam.

“I should've been over there to help Greg out,” Woods said. “I'm a veteran. I was just late. I take the blame for it. When they went to that three-receiver set and we brought pressure, I didn't think he'd have time to throw the deep post. Every other time we brought pressure like that, (Brooks) threw quick.”

The Chiefs got the ball back with plenty of time (more than 5 minutes). But the drive fell apart deep in New Orleans territory when Darren Howard beat John Welbourn and pressured Green, forcing a high pass to running back Derrick Blaylock that was tipped and then intercepted.

Had the Chiefs not blown their first timeout of the half, they would have received the ball once more with enough time on the clock to score. They could have prolonged the inevitable. They could have made us wait one more week before writing them off.

digi2fish
11-15-2004, 02:53 AM
losing the spirit is losing everything....
:shake:

Tribal Warfare
11-15-2004, 06:01 AM
The King Carl all stars

Bob Dole
11-15-2004, 06:12 AM
“I should've been over there to help Greg out,” Woods said. “I'm a veteran. I was just late. I take the blame for it.

Bob Dole takes so much comfort in the knowledge that every time we lose, one of our players has the character to step up and shoulder the blame. Wow.

Phobia
11-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Bob Dole takes so much comfort in the knowledge that every time we lose, one of our players has the character to step up and shoulder the blame. Wow.

There are no repercussions. They get a hug and have a nice cry with DV and come out to start for the next game.

It's kinda pathetic.

the Talking Can
11-15-2004, 09:39 AM
I bet if we shot one of them they'd get the point

Phobia
11-15-2004, 09:40 AM
I bet if we shot one of them they'd get the point

I vote for their "leader", Hicks.

siberian khatru
11-15-2004, 09:43 AM

I'm grateful we have the players who fit the profile of being able to deal with a 3-6 season. That's so much more important than having players with the talent to deal with a 7-2 start.

KCTitus
11-15-2004, 09:45 AM
I'm grateful we have the players who fit the profile of being able to deal with a 3-6 season. That's so much more important than having players with the talent to deal with a 7-2 start.

Or a 9-0 start?

siberian khatru
11-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Or a 9-0 start?

I knew that was coming. :banghead:

morphius
11-15-2004, 09:48 AM
I vote for their "leader", Hicks.
Who?

I know I have seen that name somewhere, but I know I haven't heard it...

Phobia
11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Who?

I know I have seen that name somewhere, but I know I haven't heard it...

He's the guy who has made an entire career out of a fluke season. It's not like he's the first, but it's still pathetic.

cookster50
11-15-2004, 09:54 AM

Has Bob Dole noticed that it is always Woods? Hmmm, perhaps Woods needs to take a seat for a week.

Phobia
11-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Has Bob Dole noticed that it is always Woods? Hmmm, perhaps Woods needs to take a seat for a week.

I propose a week of Sundays.

BigChiefFan
11-15-2004, 10:37 AM
I propose a week of Sundays.
I propose a lifetime of Sundays. Put a fork in Woods-he's done.