PDA

View Full Version : How many on the defense must we keep?

Red Dawg
11-15-2004, 10:00 AM
We got them back in the off season but are we now stuck with them? Woods, Wesly, Hicks, Bartee? Can we not dump them?

Phobia
11-15-2004, 10:02 AM
The thing is - if we dump them now, we'll absorb half their cap hit this season and preserve future cap room. But, they probably won't do that.

HC_Chief
11-15-2004, 10:03 AM
The entire _efense is replaceable.

TEX
11-15-2004, 10:03 AM
The thing is - if we dump them now, we'll absorb half their cap hit this season and preserve future cap room. But, they probably won't do that.

Well, we do still have about $6 MIL, right? :hmmm:

Chiefnj
11-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Even if there was no salary cap and cutting a bunch of players was economically possible, it is difficult to obtain 4 or 5 new defensive players and expect them to play well. You can only afford so many free agents and the chances of the Chiefs drafting several defensive guys who can come in and make an impact right away is like expecting mememe to put a "Dick Cheney in 08" bumper sticker on her car.

Hoover
11-15-2004, 10:06 AM
This is all I would keep

DL: Dalton, Sims, Jr. Wilkerson, Allen
LB: Fu, Biesel, Mitchell
DB: Wesley, Warfield

Rain Man
11-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Good question. I like:

DL: Allen, Stills, Browning, Sims (for one more year, anyway), Dalton, and Siavii

LB: Fujita, Beisel, maybe Mitchell since he's young.

DB: Warfield, Harts, and (gasp) maybe Bartee

donkhater
11-15-2004, 10:20 AM
The only two that are playing worth a sh_t right now are Allen and Dalton.

Not surprisingly, they are the only two that haven't been here for part of the last three seasons.

Ghostof
11-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Allen was great yesterday.

That penalty was what we needed most.

Great job, Allen

Swanman
11-15-2004, 11:09 AM
I would basically dump every veteran that hasn't proven that they can play, regardless of their contractual situation, so bye-bye to Woods, Hicks, Bartee, Holliday, McCleon, Barber.

I would keep the underperforming younger guys with the hope that new position coaches could improve them so guys like Sims would be kept on a probationary basis.

And obviously I would keep all the guys that haven't been given a proper shot or have performed at a decent level - Allen, Dalton, Fox, Beisel, Fujita, Mitchell, Warfield, Sapp, Harts.

And I don't know what I would do with Browning or Wesley, because their up and down performance just confuses me (Wesley has sucked all the time this year but he was such a great headhunter even at the beginning of last year).

With that said, everyone above is expendable if the free agent market offers upgrades (in many cases there will be lots of upgrades to the above guys).

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2004, 11:11 AM
Fujita, Dalton, Sims, Allen, Hicks, Mitchell, Warfield, and Woods....that's it.

Most of them as DEPTH.... :banghead:

BigRedChief
11-15-2004, 11:11 AM
What we need is a new talent evaluator.

Big Money "Star" contracts were handed out to Hicks, Wesley, Bartee and Woods since last year.

Big money FA contracts were handed out to Holliday, Barber and McCleon.

We drafted LJ and backup players during that time.

Not a problem with one of those blowing up in your face. They all blew up in your face, Who's fault is this?

el borracho
11-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I would basically dump every veteran that hasn't proven that they can play, regardless of their contractual situation, so bye-bye to Woods, Hicks, Bartee, Holliday, McCleon, Barber.

I would keep the underperforming younger guys with the hope that new position coaches could improve them so guys like Sims would be kept on a probationary basis.

And obviously I would keep all the guys that haven't been given a proper shot or have performed at a decent level - Allen, Dalton, Fox, Beisel, Fujita, Mitchell, Warfield, Sapp, Harts.

And I don't know what I would do with Browning or Wesley, because their up and down performance just confuses me (Wesley has sucked all the time this year but he was such a great headhunter even at the beginning of last year).

With that said, everyone above is expendable if the free agent market offers upgrades (in many cases there will be lots of upgrades to the above guys).
I agree with all of the above except I would probably keep Bartee until next preseason and see if he does anything redeeming.

Chiefnj
11-15-2004, 12:36 PM
At this point on defense the Chiefs should be playing the young guys to see if they can cut it.

Anyone know why Siavii has been out the past few weeks?

I'd give major playing time to Harts, Wilkerson, Siavii, Fox, Caver, Battle, Sapp, Bartee and Sims to see if any of them have what it takes to possibly start in 2005.

dtebbe
11-15-2004, 12:41 PM
I made my list yesterday:
J. Allen
Fujita
L. Dalton
Warfield
Wesley
Woods

I am still giving Wesley and Woods the benefit of the doubt, you don't forget how to play safety in 2 years, and neither of them are old. I think they just have to help the LBs too much.

#1 needs in the draft are LB, CB, and DE. I think the big boys in the middle have been doing OK, they just don't get much help from the LBs.

DT

dtebbe
11-15-2004, 12:42 PM
At this point on defense the Chiefs should be playing the young guys to see if they can cut it.

Anyone know why Siavii has been out the past few weeks?

I'd give major playing time to Harts, Wilkerson, Siavii, Fox, Caver, Battle, Sapp, Bartee and Sims to see if any of them have what it takes to possibly start in 2005.

If we lose monday night, this is EXACTLY what we should do. Until we get the 7th loss, however, I think we have to play the guys that give us the best chance to win.

DT

Rick
11-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Allen was great yesterday.

That penalty was what we needed most.

Great job, Allen

His call was crap. The play was still in progress. Watch the tape.

go bo
11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I made my list yesterday:
J. Allen
Fujita
L. Dalton
Warfield
Wesley
Woods

I am still giving Wesley and Woods the benefit of the doubt, you don't forget how to play safety in 2 years, and neither of them are old. I think they just have to help the LBs too much.

#1 needs in the draft are LB, CB, and DE. I think the big boys in the middle have been doing OK, they just don't get much help from the LBs.

DTyou may have something there...

the safeties seem to bite on play fakes all the time, and that could well be a result of having to help the lbs too much...

but on those long passes to horn it looked like the whole secondary was asleep... :( :( :(

go bo
11-15-2004, 01:39 PM
If we lose monday night, this is EXACTLY what we should do. Until we get the 7th loss, however, I think we have to play the guys that give us the best chance to win.

DTunfortunately, dick will probably keep his "best" players on the field...

somehow, thinking of the chiefs d and the concept of "best" players at the same time seems...

well, difficult...

hard to imagine, even...

actually, downright impossible... :( :( :(

Chiefnj
11-15-2004, 01:45 PM

DT

I was with you in your line of reasoning until yesterday. Then I saw two veteran safeties who were supposed to be good make multiple game killing mistakes. At 3-6 I think the playoffs are out of reach as they should be. The team doesn't deserve to finish above .500.

Mr. Laz
11-15-2004, 02:03 PM
We got them back in the off season but are we now stuck with them? Woods, Wesly, Hicks, Bartee? Can we not dump them?

all but bartee just got significant contracts... in otherwords big cap hits

hicks might not be too big, but i just dont see woods and wesley leaving for another couple of years.

we had our chance to make defensive changes last year and we decided to "retain our own players"

the decision has already been made ... live with it