PDA

View Full Version : I started Atkins today

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm determined to lose at least 30 pounds...like to lose 50. That would be perfect. Anyone had success with Atkins before? Any advice? Is lite beer and diet soda ok in moderation?

This over-weight shit was never suppossed to happen to me. I was a skinny kid in high school, was in weight training and had a nice V shape in college, then put on about 75 pounds in that last 15 years. Christ!

It's coming off...one way or another. Salad, meat and water are my friends.

Wish me luck. Hopefully next time we have a big Chiefsplanet get together I'll be half the man I am now.

:thumb:

Wile_E_Coyote
11-16-2004, 04:32 PM
being a little bit hungry is not a bad way to go through life

it's the thirsty part that sucks

bobbything
11-16-2004, 04:33 PM
The Atkins diet isn't healthy for long periods of time. What happens is that you lose so much weight so quickly. Much of that weight being muscle.

When you go off the diet, most people simply quit; cold turkey. What happens is most people, because of lack of excercise and eating habits, gain that weight back. But, they're not gaining the muscle back, just the fat. So, in essence, you're losing muscle and gaining fat.

I would strongly recommend Weight Watchers instead.

The Rick
11-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Diet soda...okay.

Lite beer...eh, sorry, probably not. Maybe in moderation.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:37 PM
The Atkins diet isn't healthy for long periods of time. What happens is that you lose so much weight so quickly. Much of that weight being muscle.

When you go off the diet, most people simply quit; cold turkey. What happens is most people, because of lack of excercise and eating habits, gain that weight back. But, they're not gaining the muscle back, just the fat. So, in essence, you're losing muscle and gaining fat.

I would strongly recommend Weight Watchers instead.
:hmmm:

interesting...thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:37 PM
being a little bit hungry is not a bad way to go through life

it's the thirsty part that sucks
got that right.

HC_Chief
11-16-2004, 04:39 PM
No soda. You should cut caffeine and alcohol completely for the first two weeks. Once you get into ketosis, it's okay to have ONE diet soda per day. No alcohol at all while you diet.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:43 PM
No soda. You should cut caffeine and alcohol completely for the first two weeks. Once you get into ketosis, it's okay to have ONE diet soda per day. No alcohol at all while you diet.
Your post doesn't make me happy. I feel like neg repping you...

Even if the soda has no calories, so sodium, no carbs and no sugar?????

(please, please give me the answer I want)

Saulbadguy
11-16-2004, 04:47 PM
I did atkins for a few months. I lost 30 lbs. Then I quit, and gained it all back.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
I did atkins for a few months. I lost 30 lbs. Then I quit, and gained it all back.
inspirational...thanks.

Skip Towne
Bout time. You could live for a month off the fat in your ass. :p

Rausch
For me it was all or nothing.

No bread, no taters, no beer, no soda (later diet coke), no beans, no mexican, no italian, no pasta...not a bite for three months. After that I'd eat small amounts of bread/beans/beer 2 or 3 days a week.

I lost 65 lbs total, and in 1 year I've put 5 back on. I need to go under 20 carbs a day again for about 2 months, come april.

Basically, it's willpower. Good luck man!

BigRedChief
11-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Did the atkins. Lost 30 to 30 lbs. No beer, chips man it sucked. I was worried about the long term health risks. Quit and gianed it all back. Went to Weight Watchers and having long term success.

Saulbadguy
May I reccomend the South Beach diet? Its a bit more flexible, and easier to stick to.

Of course I can't stick to any diet, but this one WAS easier.

Demonpenz
What I would do count calories. I would be some of those smart watchers or whatever TV dinners just to make it easier to see how much I am eating. Shoot for about a 1500 calories a day with a good mix of foods. Then Walk a mile a day. I think I burn about 1500 calories a day just living and doing shit. So if I could eat 1500 calories and minus the 130 you should burn able to loose wieght. That is pretty much what i tried to do the last couple years, exept i always end out getting smashed twice a week. I was 260 nose guard in high school now I am around 215 because i discovered that I could play madden and walk on a tredmill. I always try to walk on a tredmill alittle bit while watching a movie or some sports.

bobbything
11-16-2004, 04:51 PM
The exact same thing happened to my dad. I tried to warn him. He's now on the Weight Watchers program for the better part of 2 years. He exercises regularly and hasn't gained a pound back.

The problem is that people want to lose weight so quickly. But, in order to sustain it, you have to exercise and/or manage your fat/carb/calorie intake as well.

A combination diet, with a strict exercise program, is sure to do wonders. Plus, you'll have more energy which makes you feel much better.

Eleazar
11-16-2004, 04:52 PM
There's a new diet I heard quite a buzz about lately. It's called the cochise diet. You eat salad, drink 20 glasses of water per day, mix in some evening jogging, and hire someone to move in with you that beats you into oblivion if you cheat.

The Rick
11-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Your post doesn't make me happy. I feel like neg repping you...

Even if the soda has no calories, so sodium, no carbs and no sugar?????

(please, please give me the answer I want)
I never had problems drinking it. I think it's fine. If you can though, get the non-caffeinated stuff. Some people say caffeine has an effect on weight loss.

Hoover
11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I did Atkins, but was off it for the past three months, I have not really gained much back, but I know I've added some lbs over the past two weekends of hard ass drinking. Tonight I statrt again. I would liek to drop an additional 20.

Pants
11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
beer me,
just start exercising a lot. At first it'll be a drag, but eventually if you fight through it, it'll become addiciting and enjoyable. Turn all that fat into muscle and become healthier. Of course start eating healthy too.

Saulbadguy
11-16-2004, 04:57 PM
beer me,
just start exercising a lot. At first it'll be a drag, but eventually if you fight through it, it'll become addiciting and enjoyable. Turn all that fat into muscle and become healthier. Of course start eating healthy too.
You've obviously never been a fatass. I recommend shutting up.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Bout time. You could live for a month off the fat in your ass. :p
It's not my ass so much as my gut.... but a smaller ass will be good too.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:58 PM
For me it was all or nothing.

No bread, no taters, no beer, no soda (later diet coke), no beans, no mexican, no italian, no pasta...not a bite for three months. After that I'd eat small amounts of bread/beans/beer 2 or 3 days a week.

I lost 65 lbs total, and in 1 year I've put 5 back on. I need to go under 20 carbs a day again for about 2 months, come april.

Basically, it's willpower. Good luck man!
damn....nice work....

...and thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 04:58 PM
May I reccomend the South Beach diet? Its a bit more flexible, and easier to stick to.

Of course I can't stick to any diet, but this one WAS easier.
what is it?

BIG_DADDY
11-16-2004, 04:59 PM
It's not my ass so much as my gut.... but a smaller ass will be good too.

If you could get down under Barney's weight it would be a start.

Pants
You've obviously never been a fatass. I recommend shutting up.

Eat shit. I was just trying to help, asshole.

Demonpenz
Wieght loss is like anything else in life. it's just a matter of how bad do you want it. I feel the most successful way of loosing weight is look at yourself in the mirror and realizing what a piece of shit you have become and how your dead realitaves would be ashamed at what you did with your life. To think your grandparents came over as immigrants and worked 14 hour days so you can waste your life away. Oh and i heard cocaine can help you lose weight too

Saulbadguy
11-16-2004, 05:00 PM
what is it?
Sort of like Atkins. Not "low carb", but eating the "right carbs". It allows 100% whole wheat bread products after the first 2 weeks.

Oh..either diet you start, READ THE ENTIRE BOOK before you do it. Don't think you can do it all without knowledge.

Dr. Johnny Fever
Someday I should really invest in a scale. Curious how much I weigh.

I know I hit a deuce a couple years ago... wonder how much of a lardass I am now.
I'm guessing about 215.

Saulbadguy
Ok John Madden. Stating the obvious never really helps, though.

BIG_DADDY
11-16-2004, 05:01 PM
You don't need to go on a diet to lose weight if you understand some basics about how your metabolism works.

Eleazar
11-16-2004, 05:01 PM

No kidding...

Pants
11-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Ok John Madden. Stating the obvious never really helps, though.

If it's so ****ing obvious, why haven't people mentioned exercise?

Saulbadguy
You don't need to go on a diet to lose weight if you understand some basics about how your metabolism works.
What about us with no willpower?

Saulbadguy
If it's so ****ing obvious, why haven't people mentioned exercise?
Atkins diet includes excercise as part of the regimen.

Demonpenz
Yeah I would listen to big daddy, he had that one long post about how you need to pig out once a week.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Wieght loss is like anything else in life. it's just a matter of how bad do you want it. I feel the most successful way of loosing weight is look at yourself in the mirror and realizing what a piece of shit you have become and how your dead realitaves would be ashamed at what you did with your life. To think your grandparents came over as immigrants and worked 14 hour days so you can waste your life away. Oh and i heard cocaine can help you lose weight too
Ok....I'm inspired now! Thanks!

btw...you know where I could score a....... oh I'll just pm you....

BIG_DADDY
11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
What about us with no willpower?

Well that's an issue. I think most people would like to pick their own foods within reason. Most people would lose weight if they just did 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week and didn't take in carbs after 7PM.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
I do plan to excercise more too btw... 12 oz. curls apparently aren't enough anymore...

:banghead: :thumb:

Demonpenz
11-16-2004, 05:07 PM
i just ate a half a bag of chips and salsa. It was brought to my table on time

Sydd
I got up to 205 and had to do something. The wife and I did the Southbeach diet for about three months. We were not perfectly strict on it, but I did get down to 180. Since then (7 months ago) I have stayed between 180 and 185. We eat like normal for the most part, but mix in the healthier stuff about 30-40% of the time. I think one of the absolute biggest things is the diet soda. I went to all diet and I cannot drink regualr now. It is too sweet. Except for Dr. Pepper, the non-alcoholic drink of the gods. :)

I am confident at this point that I can stay under 185 and not eat like a friggin rabbit all the time.

penguinz
Here is the secret for you. Eat healthy and in moderation. Do cardio excercises minimum of 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Also lift weights. YOu donlt have to go all out and try to get ripped. Just do light weights with high reps.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:08 PM
i just ate a half a bag of chips and salsa. It was brought to my table on time
what are you posting in a restaurant or something????

morphius
I know someone mentioned weight watchers here, and they also have a new low carb diet. My Mom lost a lot of weight on the regular diet and now does some work for them, so she got me a copy of some of the material, which, if I ever take the time, well try. I do know with regular weight watchers Diet Soda is 0 points, I'm hoping the same is true with the low carb one, because I may have a chance.

Morphius
almost there.

Sydd
Well that's an issue. I think most people would like to pick their own foods within reason. Most people would lose weight if they just did 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week and didn't take in carbs after 7PM.

Not eating within two hours of going to bed will do wonders.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Here is the secret for you. Eat healthy and in moderation. Do cardio excercises minimum of 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Also lift weights. YOu donlt have to go all out and try to get ripped. Just do light weights with high reps.
cool and no problem....thanks!

FAX
11-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Don't eat too much. Do stuff.

FAX THE EVER HELPFUL

Demonpenz
what are you posting in a restaurant or something????

we have internet at this halfway house

Dr. Johnny Fever
Not eating within two hours of going to bed will do wonders.
I've been really bad at that one....

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:12 PM
we have internet at this halfway house
oh...well good for you...

Jenson71
11-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Drink water. No fast food.

Sydd
11-16-2004, 05:14 PM
I've been really bad at that one....

It sucks. I hate going to bed even slightly hungry, but if you learn to slowly cut back it will help bigtime.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Drink water. No fast food.
fast food = death

FAX
11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Regurgitate. Walk backwards.

FAX

Demonpenz
11-16-2004, 05:16 PM
sonic has new breakfest burittos

FAX
11-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Hop everywhere. Take laxatives.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
11-16-2004, 05:17 PM

Incorrect, your best be is not to combine your aerobic and anaerobic activities into one. Your muscle is your fat burning engine. If you have a bigger motor you can burn more fuel just doing what you ordinarily do. The combination with light weights was designed for WOMEN who wanted to firm up a bit without putting on any muscle.

FAX
11-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Go in public naked. Shame yourself.

FAX

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Hop everywhere. Take laxatives.

FAX

ROFL

penguinz
11-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Sorry, you are wrong big_daddy.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Go in public naked.

FAX
I do that already.

FAX
11-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Amputate. Snort meth.

FAX

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Amputate. Snort meth.

FAX
be a post whore. Think you're funny.

:p

FAX
11-16-2004, 05:27 PM
be a post whore. Think you're funny.

:p

Sorry, Mr. beer me. Just got carried away trying to join the group and come up with ideas for you.

Seriously, best of luck with your endeavor to re-shape your outward persona. Remember, it's who you are inside that counts. A man is judged by the size of his heart.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
11-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Sorry, you are wrong big_daddy.

I'm sick of arguing a subject like this. Until a few years back I ran health clubs my whole life getting $100 and hour on the side training. I know this subject like the back of my hand. Mark Mastrov is the CEO of 24 Hour Fitness. We sat back years ago trying to figure out how we could take advantage of this type of circuit training for women. We used to have it in the co-ed clubs but it really wasn't catching on. Now he is creating mini-clubs to take advantage of this market for women and they are becoming very popular. I am sure I don't know what I am talking about though. A few members here at the planet have taken routines I designed with great results. One of them was using a routine like you suggested first and got much better results with a routine for men but whatever.

Donger
11-16-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm determined to lose at least 30 pounds...like to lose 50. That would be perfect. Anyone had success with Atkins before? Any advice? Is lite beer and diet soda ok in moderation?

This over-weight shit was never suppossed to happen to me. I was a skinny kid in high school, was in weight training and had a nice V shape in college, then put on about 75 pounds in that last 15 years. Christ!

Wish me luck. Hopefully next time we have a big Chiefsplanet get together I'll be half the man I am now.

Good luck, beer me.

Jenson71
11-16-2004, 05:56 PM
I'm sick of arguing a subject like this. Until a few years back I ran health clubs my whole life getting $100 and hour on the side training. I know this subject like the back of my hand. Mark Mastrov is the CEO of 24 Hour Fitness. We sat back years ago trying to figure out how we could take advantage of this type of circuit training for women. We used to have it in the co-ed clubs but it really wasn't catching on. Now he is creating mini-clubs to take advantage of this market for women and they are becoming very popular. I am sure I don't know what I am talking about though. A few members here at the planet have taken routines I designed with great results. One of them was using a routine like you suggested first and got much better results with a routine for men but whatever.

Anyone with a 5th grade diploma can run health clubs.

KevB
11-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Incorrect, your best be is not to combine your aerobic and anaerobic activities into one. Your muscle is your fat burning engine. If you have a bigger motor you can burn more fuel just doing what you ordinarily do. The combination with light weights was designed for WOMEN who wanted to firm up a bit without putting on any muscle.

Ding, Ding, Ding. I've lost the most weight (at least weight that I wanted to lose) when I was lifting heavy (for me) and hard. I ate fairly clean, but focused on protein with protein shakes twice a day to supplement. When any woman asks me about working out and lifting weights, I suggest they ease themselves into a program, but once their bodies are settled in don't be afraid to push themselves when increasing weight.

BigRedChief
11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Amputate. Snort meth.

FAX

Beer me....he gets an A for effort and C for content.

Donger
11-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Study: Low-Fat Beats Low-Carb Diets For Shedding Pounds

POSTED: 2:07 pm EST November 16, 2004
LAS VEGAS -- Low-fat diets may be back en vogue.

New research suggests that people who lost weight -- and kept it off -- limited their fat, not carbohydrates.

Dieters are starting to turn away from the Atkins-style plans for long-term weight control, and a new study backs them up.

A Brown Medical School researcher presented the study at the North American Association for the Study of Obesity. It used a national registry of people who shed at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year.

Looking at a registry of 2,700 people, the study said the type of diet made no difference in how people lost weight initially. But those who increased their fat intake over a year regained the most weight.

A spokeswoman for Atkins said the study didn't follow plan guidelines.

GMitch
11-16-2004, 07:09 PM
You'll regain weight if you go back to your old eating habits, regardless of how you lose. A guy in my office lost 50 pounds with Weight Watchers, quit going, and has put 20 back on in three months. I've lost 30 since July on Atkins and hope to lose 30 more. I'm going to try to not go back to all-you-can-eat mexican and large pizzas and maybe I can keep it off. By the way, I've been drinking diet cola all the way along (I'm not a beer drinker).

Calcountry
11-16-2004, 07:23 PM

Good luck with it.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Why would anyone start Larry Atkins on their fantasy team?

FAX
11-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Why would anyone start Larry Atkins on their fantasy team?

You're right, Mr. UserName. He IS undersized.

DON'T LOOK DOWN HERE

Nzoner
11-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I started low carb last February and dropped 70 lbs by September.Drank lots of water and Diet-Rite soda.

For the first month I stayed at the 20 carbs per day with absolutely no beer.

After that I increased my carb intake to 30 and would drink a few Michelob Ultras which sucked but I was seeing results.

I also got creative with some recipes I had and from others and found some meals that I really liked.With each month that passed I would increase my carbs a little more.

I also found some low carb substitutes that I liked in ice cream bars,pizza and bread.

What it did for me was totally change my eating habits and since September I'm back to drinking my regular beer and eating very good just in moderation compared to before.I've gained 8 lbs back and have kept the rest off.

Good luck.

Boardin Bronco
11-16-2004, 08:34 PM
All of you fat tubs of lard are pathetic.

You coach potato QBs rip on Dexter McCleon, Jerome Woods, Vonnie Holliday all the time when all of them are premier athletes who just don't happen to be in the top 25 percentile of a fraternity of exclusive athletes. BUT while these guys are busting their tails for several hours lifting weights, conditioning, playing football you pathetic ****s are the primarily reason the United States has become the fattest country in the world.

Only an idiot would stop eating a good thing like fruit in order to lose weight by eating cheeseburgers, fried chicken and eggs.

Bowser
11-16-2004, 08:37 PM

You coach potato QBs rip on Dexter McCleon, Jerome Woods, Vonnie Holliday all the time when all of them are premier athletes who just don't happen to be in the top 25 percentile of a fraternity of exclusive athletes. BUT while these guys are busting their tails for several hours lifting weights, conditioning, playing football you pathetic ****s are the primarily reason the United States has become the fattest country in the world.

Only an idiot would stop eating a good thing like fruit in order to lose weight by eating cheeseburgers, fried chicken and eggs.

Shut your yap and pass the chocolate covered yams, beyotch!

Nzoner
11-16-2004, 08:47 PM

Says the fan of
http://www.collagevideo.com/instructorgraphics/Richard-Simmons.jpg

and for your information I always have lemon with my Boulevard Wheat so kiss my ass.

Mile High Mania
11-16-2004, 08:57 PM
My wife and I have simply quit buying sodas for the home ... buy bottled water instead. I *might* have 1 coke every 2-3 days now and 4 months ago, I was easily 2 a day ... more if you count refills when out to eat.

We're not going out of our way to eat better with any wild diets, but we are doing a bit better. I think I've dropped 5-7 lbs (nothing too crazy) in the last 3 weeks.

chief52
11-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Good luck beer me.

I started "getting back into shape" Monday. One hour on the tread mill the last two mornings. It actually feels great, just a little tough getting up that early. When I work out that much I eat better as well. I know it works for me as I have done it before, but unfortunately went back to the same habits that got me there. :banghead:

Feeling better already...hoping to hang on for the long run.

penguinz
11-16-2004, 09:08 PM
I think you misunderstood what i was saying. I am not sayign that a man should use five pound weights doing 40 reps a set. I am sayign that if you are just wanting to lose weight and not bulk up do not do heavy wight for low reps.

ie. if your bench max is 250 at three reps then cut it down to 175 and get 12-15 reps in. But also don;t foget about the cardio. ;)

Also, as far as your meals. Keep them balanced. You do need some fat in your diet as well as protein and carbs. It is also better to eat several small meals a day than 3 big meals. It is also bad to skip meals. Skipping, missing or eating huge meals messes with your metabolism.

penguinz
11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Any guys that are doing the Atkins or any other high protein diet make sure you drink lots of water. High protein is hard on your kidneys.

And for any women who might be reading this. DO NOT DO A HIGH PROTEIN LOW CARB DIET. It is much more harmful for women than men.

Inspector
11-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I haven't read this so maybe this has already been said.

I know a couple of people who had great success with Atkins..................until they stopped. Now they have more than before Atkins.

The best method is the simplest to explain and the hardest to adhere to: Eat properly and exercise. It really is that simple.

Dieting is very bad for you and your body. Dieting will (eventually) add more fat.

To win the battle on a permanent basis you must change your lifestyle and follow the 4 word simple (but hard to do) advice: Eat properly and exercise.

I've been in this battle myself for almost 50 years now and my experience tells me that ANY diet will eventually fail.

It's not easy (at first), but to have permanent results follow the 4 word rule. Trust me. It may take longer but you'll feel better and you'll stay in the shape you want to be in. But eating properly and exercising must become a permanent fixture in your life.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. Consult your doctor and I'll bet he will agree with what I'm telling you.

Good luck, don't give up! You'll get there and be glad you did it the right way!!

(Eating properly is an individual thing that common sense or your doctor can advise you on. Same thing for your individual exercise routine.)

KC Jones
11-16-2004, 10:01 PM
What Inspector said.

The bottom line is that if you want to be healthy and have a nice physique, you have to commit to a healthy lifestyle. Small portions of meals that are balanced for fiber, vitamins, minerals, protein, carbs, and the right kinds of fat. Combine that with regular excercise. Weight lifting will be great for building a bigger engine that burns more calories. Cardio for the calorie burning itself.

You are either commit to becoming a healthy person or whatever you do to lose the weight you will eventually stop and get it all back plus some extra weight.

Inspector
11-16-2004, 10:07 PM
I've read severla of Big Daddy's posts concerning this subject (also in other threads) and from my experience, I think he is absolutley correct.

I call weight lifting exercise. It's an important facet of any lifestyle change and is one of the keys to success. That and eating properly.

Mr. Kotter
11-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Good luck, Todd. :thumb:

Mosbonian
11-16-2004, 11:25 PM

You just hit the crux of my diet...i've lost 40 lbs and only changed a few things about my eating habits....

I still drink soda..once a day but a diet soda.

I NEVER eat after 7 PM.....

I work out in a structured regimen...it's hard at first, but like someone said, it becomes addictive or second nature...

I would stay away from fad diets...which includes, IMO, the South Beach Diet, Atkins, Jenny Craig...all are set to lead to failure.

I only eat fish or poultry...red meat only once a week.

AND...I let myself have a "night off".....eating is like sex...you gotta have a little every night, but sometimes you gotta add something real spicy.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-16-2004, 11:46 PM

Interesting....that's not what my trainer said.

Here is the routine that I was prescribed:

Usually what I do for weight training is 20 minutes in a "fat burn" at 4 mph burning 150 calories in a warm-up....

I then do a structured workout set by my trainer that consumes about 30 minutes in strength training....

I then do 30 minutes of a Cardio workout at 5 mph and can burn about 300 calories....I try to get my heart rate to 148 bpm...which is what the Dr. said i should get to for my age.....

I do this 3 times a week....

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 12:02 AM
I think you misunderstood what i was saying. I am not sayign that a man should use five pound weights doing 40 reps a set. I am sayign that if you are just wanting to lose weight and not bulk up do not do heavy wight for low reps.

ie. if your bench max is 250 at three reps then cut it down to 175 and get 12-15 reps in. But also don;t foget about the cardio. ;)

Also, as far as your meals. Keep them balanced. You do need some fat in your diet as well as protein and carbs. It is also better to eat several small meals a day than 3 big meals. It is also bad to skip meals. Skipping, missing or eating huge meals messes with your metabolism.

If your interested in a real good routine let me know there will be a night and day difference to your results.

Mr. Kotter
11-17-2004, 12:10 AM
If your interested in a real good routine let me know there will be a night and day difference to your results.

Can you post it here, even if he doesn't want to see it....I and some others would like to see it.

I think I've seen you post it before, but it's been a while....and we can't search right now anyway.

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Interesting....that's not what my trainer said.

Here is the routine that I was prescribed:

Usually what I do for weight training is 20 minutes in a "fat burn" at 4 mph burning 150 calories in a warm-up....

I then do a structured workout set by my trainer that consumes about 30 minutes in strength training....

I then do 30 minutes of a Cardio workout at 5 mph and can burn about 300 calories....I try to get my heart rate to 148 bpm...which is what the Dr. said i should get to for my age.....

I do this 3 times a week....

mmaddog

It's called high intensity training and I would never suggest it for anyone but women who don't want to put on any muscle. There are several reasons some trainers (usually not certified) train most people in this fasion. It gets members in and out of the club without much time needing the trainers assistance for one. Two it allows you to hire trainers who only know this training technique so you can take some kid off the street and teach him to be a trainer in under 40 hours at a fraction of the price ioncreasing profit margins. They have you at the right heart rate and have you increasing your metabolism for the next 72 hours by keeping your heart rate up for over 20 minutes. If you seperate your aerobic and anaerobic activity and replace it with a routine I have on my computer at work your results will change BIG TIME within 90 days. You will get comments from all the people you know. If you want to go more advanced from there that isn't a problem I can take you there too.

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Can you post it here, even if he doesn't want to see it....I and some others would like to see it.

I think I've seen you post it before, but it's been a while....and we can't search right now anyway.

Yes I will post it tomorrow, I have it on my work computer. Anyone having problems with weight control can use some basic information and make choices for themselves as well. If your willing to take the time to read a book on a stupid diet you probably will not be able to maintain I say your time is better used understanding basic nutrition and how your metabolism works but that is JMO.

Mr. Kotter
11-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Yes I will post it tomorrow, I have it on my work computer. Anyone having problems with weight control can use some basic information and make choices for themselves as well. If your willing to take the time to read a book on a stupid diet you probably will not be able to maintain I say your time is better used understanding basic nutrition and how your metabolism works but that is JMO.

Thanks, I'll look for it tomorrow.

I'm gonna start something here if not soon, then the first of the year. I'm familiar with the basics, but four kids and a lot of excuses have transformed me from relatively fit to pretty pathetic over the course of about 8-9 years. If I don't changes some things soon, I'm a heart attack waitin' to happen. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks, I'll look for it tomorrow.

I'm gonna start something here if not soon, then the first of the year. I'm familiar with the basics, but four kids and a lot of excuses have transformed me from relatively fit to pretty pathetic over the course of about 8-9 years. If I don't changes some things soon, I'm a heart attack waitin' to happen. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Cardio is king, if your older and worried about that 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week supplementing with 200mg of Q-10, a Garlinese 4000 tab and a good mulit-vitamin/mineral with extra C with biovlavanoids is the answer. Of course a good diet is really important.

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 12:31 AM
It's called high intensity training and I would never suggest it for anyone but women who don't want to put on any muscle. There are several reasons some trainers (usually not certified) train most people in this fasion. It gets members in and out of the club without much time needing the trainers assistance for one. Two it allows you to hire trainers who only know this training technique so you can take some kid off the street and teach him to be a trainer in under 40 hours at a fraction of the price ioncreasing profit margins. They have you at the right heart rate and have you increasing your metabolism for the next 72 hours by keeping your heart rate up for over 20 minutes. If you seperate your aerobic and anaerobic activity and replace it with a routine I have on my computer at work your results will change BIG TIME within 90 days. You will get comments from all the people you know. If you want to go more advanced from there that isn't a problem I can take you there too.

Big Daddy:

I'm all for anything that will work correctly....I've lost 40 lbs already with what I have done by the steps I outlined in changing my diet....if your program sheds the remaining pounds I am looking for while doing it in the correct training process please forward me your program.

I did some research before I started my program....I know not to trust the BMI....and I know that each person is built differently. I'm 48 years old and can't afford "yo-yo diets" because they do more harm than good. I have seen a few of my friends either decline in health due to poor health habits or some have lost battles and their lives. I want to live to be able to see my grandkids...and spend my kids inheritance.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 12:35 AM
Cardio is king, if your older and worried about that 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week supplementing with 200mg of Q-10, a Garlinese 4000 tab and a good mulit-vitamin/mineral with extra C with biovlavanoids is the answer. Of course a good diet is really important.

I used to get winded walking up the stairs...(well not quite that bad)

I look at my dad and know that cardio is absolutely essential to good health. There are some people that I work with who have to walk 50 yards from their car to the door, and look like they have run a 5k getting there....

I now park at the furthest point, and enjoy the walk.

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Big Daddy:

I'm all for anything that will work correctly....I've lost 40 lbs already with what I have done by the steps I outlined in changing my diet....if your program sheds the remaining pounds I am looking for while doing it in the correct training process please forward me your program.

I did some research before I started my program....I know not to trust the BMI....and I know that each person is built differently. I'm 48 years old and can't afford "yo-yo diets" because they do more harm than good. I have seen a few of my friends either decline in health due to poor health habits or some have lost battles and their lives. I want to live to be able to see my grandkids...and spend my kids inheritance.

mmaddog

Obviously we agree on many points of a correct diet. I am 42 and the routine I post is a basic routine of what I do now. Being 48 you may have some limitations when it comes to certain lifts like squats from a knee and spine standpoint. Tell me if you have any physical limitations. If you can't do squats replace with leg presses. Even if you don't do max weight because of joint dicscomfort ( if that happens) you will still be better off going a little lighter and keeping your reps down. 5-10 reps on anaerobic activities makes the body produce more HGH wich makes everything easier and increases the size of your calorie burning engine.

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 12:50 AM
Obviously we agree on many points of a correct diet. I am 42 and the routine I post is a basic routine of what I do now. Being 48 you may have some limitations when it comes to certain lifts like squats from a knee and spine standpoint. Tell me if you have any physical limitations. If you can't do squats replace with leg presses. Even if you don't do max weight because of joint dicscomfort ( if that happens) you will still be better off going a little lighter and keeping your reps down. 5-10 reps on anaerobic activities makes the body produce more HGH wich makes everything easier and increases the size of your calorie burning engine.

I have some issues with a weakened knee that i hurt earlier in the summer....it's the same one that was damaged in a car wreck 10 years ago....I was cautioned by the Doctor on doing heavy exercises considering the shape of the knee....

I have no back or spine problems.....

The only real issue i am still concerned with that has not been treated has more to do with possible rotator -cuff soreness. It only flares up the day after I step up to a new weight in my upper body workouts....

Any ideas?

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 12:52 AM
I have some issues with a weakened knee that i hurt earlier in the summer....it's the same one that was damaged in a car wreck 10 years ago....I was cautioned by the Doctor on doing heavy exercises considering the shape of the knee....

I have no back or spine problems.....

The only real issue i am still concerned with that has not been treated has more to do with possible rotator -cuff soreness. It only flares up the day after I step up to a new weight in my upper body workouts....

Any ideas?

mmaddog

Are you doing rehab on your rotator cuff?

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Are you doing rehab on your rotator cuff?

No...it's just that I have seen some soreness in that region.

It's a problem that flared up a couple of years ago when I last played a full season of softball....I've been playing ball since i was 6....and I think the wear and tear is finally catching up. The soreness I felt then had gone away because of lack of activity, but is now reappearing. I dread the thought of letting the Dr. have at it, considering i am just now getting my knee healthy. I am sure he is going to want to do surgery, and I would not look forward to the "down-time" that I am sure would be necessary....or what effect the down time would have on my present program.

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 01:06 AM
No...it's just that I have seen some soreness in that region.

It's a problem that flared up a couple of years ago when I last played a full season of softball....I've been playing ball since i was 6....and I think the wear and tear is finally catching up. The soreness I felt then had gone away because of lack of activity, but is now reappearing. I dread the thought of letting the Dr. have at it, considering i am just now getting my knee healthy. I am sure he is going to want to do surgery, and I would not look forward to the "down-time" that I am sure would be necessary....or what effect the down time would have on my present program.

mmaddog

Do you have a major tear? Do you use dumbbells or barbells for chest?

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Do you have a major tear? Do you use dumbbells or barbells for chest?

I would have more pain with a major tear.....

I use dumbbells....

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 01:20 AM
I would have more pain with a major tear.....

I use dumbbells....

mmaddog

Personally looking back after all the years I was in the industry I would recommend dumbbells to everyone even kids, they are much easier on your shoulders and you will be able to lift for much, much longer. You need some rotator cuff therapy this is what you do. Do you have cable crossovers at your gym?

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Personally looking back after all the years I was in the industry I would recommend dumbbells to everyone even kids, they are much easier on your shoulders and you will be able to lift for much, much longer. You need some rotator cuff therapy this is what you do. Do you have cable crossovers at your gym?

Yeah...and it seems that no one ever uses them...

mmaddog

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 01:43 AM
Yeah...and it seems that no one ever uses them...

mmaddog

Take the pulley and move it down waist level maybe an inch higher. Connect a single hand attachment to the pulley. Pull away from the machine till the weight goes up. You are going to take the the handle ane move it in a 180 degree angle from parallel to your body on the side to your rib cage on the opposite side. Your going to do 10 to 15 reps. Switch arms and do the other side. Lower your weight and make the exact opposite motion for the same amout of reps, adjust your weight to correspond with your reps. You are going to do 3 sets on each side each direction. Move to the dumbbell rack. Grab a 10-15 pound dumbbell and hold it to your side like your confirming a fieldgoal. Go down just past 90 degrees approximately parallel to the ground and lift back up. Do this 3 sets with each arm also. Both of these are going to hurt especially on your bad shoulder but it's good pain. If it's in your budget go to a sports medicine massage therapist and have them work on your shoulders. You have a lot of scar tissue in there that needs to be worked out. It hurts like hell but there is nothing like it. Give it 90 days and you will be WAY better.

Gaz
11-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Any diet will fail in the long run. You have to commit to changing the way you eat, whether you go low calorie or low fat or low carb route.

I picked low carb because it is something I can do for the rest of my life. I can do without sugar, potatoes, pasta, bread and rice. There are many alternatives that are quite edible. I could not go low fat or low calorie for the rest of my life [I tried them both, lost weight and then decided I would rather be fat than eat cardboard for the rest of my life]. Low fat and low calorie tastes like crap.

Pick an eating regimen that you can stick with for a long, LONG time. That means food that satisfies you. If low fat or low calorie foods satisfy you, then you are a lucky man. Go with that, because the low carb lifestyle is expensive.

Regardless of which eating plan you choose, you have to exercise. Sorry, man, but you might as well get the brutal truth right up front.

If you are willing to be militant about exercise, you do not have to be as strict with your eating regimen. I walk three miles at lunch and do aerobics or weights after work, but I am not militant by any means. For me, the combination of a reduced carb lifestyle and moderate exercise is a compromise I can live with. YMMV.

If you decide to go with the low carb approach, feel free to PM me. Mrs. Gaz and I have sampled lots of low carb foods and can point you away from the really nasty stuff. Drink lots of water and take your fiber. No, really, take your fiber. Trust me on this.

Good luck, beer me. Low carb rewards you quickly with some rapid weight loss, but that will taper off after a while. Remember, this is a long-term project and it is easy to get discouraged when the rate of reduction drops.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the long way home.

old_geezer
11-17-2004, 08:27 AM
As usual Gaz is the voice of reason in the low-carb debate. I just wanted to add another voice on the side of victory for the Atkin's diet.

I read the book before I started; considered the consequences and went for it. It is a complete lifestyle change. You have to commit to it for life or you're wasting your time. I lost 60 lbs. on the diet, then went on the "lifetime maintainence" portion of the program. I have maintained my weight loss for over 2 years now and I've had 3 complete blood tests taken to insure that my body chemistry wasn't being messed up. Everything looks great. Good luck with your diet. It can work if you have the willpower.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Sorry, Mr. beer me. Just got carried away trying to join the group and come up with ideas for you.

Seriously, best of luck with your endeavor to re-shape your outward persona. Remember, it's who you are inside that counts. A man is judged by the size of his heart.

FAX
No need to be sorry, I was laughing my fat ass off!

Thanks for the well wishes too...

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Study: Low-Fat Beats Low-Carb Diets For Shedding Pounds

POSTED: 2:07 pm EST November 16, 2004
LAS VEGAS -- Low-fat diets may be back en vogue.

New research suggests that people who lost weight -- and kept it off -- limited their fat, not carbohydrates.

Dieters are starting to turn away from the Atkins-style plans for long-term weight control, and a new study backs them up.

A Brown Medical School researcher presented the study at the North American Association for the Study of Obesity. It used a national registry of people who shed at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year.

Looking at a registry of 2,700 people, the study said the type of diet made no difference in how people lost weight initially. But those who increased their fat intake over a year regained the most weight.

A spokeswoman for Atkins said the study didn't follow plan guidelines.
Thanks for the info. I'm hearing a lot of this all of the sudden now that I decided to try Atkins. Looks like I'll just end up doing a number of things to lose weight. An over all healthier lifestyle first and foremost.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 08:45 AM
You'll regain weight if you go back to your old eating habits, regardless of how you lose. A guy in my office lost 50 pounds with Weight Watchers, quit going, and has put 20 back on in three months. I've lost 30 since July on Atkins and hope to lose 30 more. I'm going to try to not go back to all-you-can-eat mexican and large pizzas and maybe I can keep it off. By the way, I've been drinking diet cola all the way along (I'm not a beer drinker).
good advice...thanks!

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Good luck beer me.

I started "getting back into shape" Monday. One hour on the tread mill the last two mornings. It actually feels great, just a little tough getting up that early. When I work out that much I eat better as well. I know it works for me as I have done it before, but unfortunately went back to the same habits that got me there. :banghead:

Feeling better already...hoping to hang on for the long run.
Good luck to you too!

Fire Me Boy!
11-17-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm an overweight diabetic and have been doing a modified Atkins for a while now. The weight doesn't come off as quickly, but my A1C numbers are great! Basically, I do a lower fat low-carb, meaning I eat leaner meats -- no more of the ground chuck... no more ribeyes. Just leanER meats. And I eat fruit. The sweetness of the fruit, plus the fact it's natural sugars, REALLY helps me stick to the diet. I've always had a problem sticking to diets, but just a little bit of fruit, like a cup of fruit for breakfast and some at lunch, helps me tremendously. And, of course, I exercise.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Good luck, Todd. :thumb:
Spanks Anton!

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Any diet will fail in the long run. You have to commit to changing the way you eat, whether you go low calorie or low fat or low carb route.

I picked low carb because it is something I can do for the rest of my life. I can do without sugar, potatoes, pasta, bread and rice. There are many alternatives that are quite edible. I could not go low fat or low calorie for the rest of my life [I tried them both, lost weight and then decided I would rather be fat than eat cardboard for the rest of my life]. Low fat and low calorie tastes like crap.

Pick an eating regimen that you can stick with for a long, LONG time. That means food that satisfies you. If low fat or low calorie foods satisfy you, then you are a lucky man. Go with that, because the low carb lifestyle is expensive.

Regardless of which eating plan you choose, you have to exercise. Sorry, man, but you might as well get the brutal truth right up front.

If you are willing to be militant about exercise, you do not have to be as strict with your eating regimen. I walk three miles at lunch and do aerobics or weights after work, but I am not militant by any means. For me, the combination of a reduced carb lifestyle and moderate exercise is a compromise I can live with. YMMV.

If you decide to go with the low carb approach, feel free to PM me. Mrs. Gaz and I have sampled lots of low carb foods and can point you away from the really nasty stuff. Drink lots of water and take your fiber. No, really, take your fiber. Trust me on this.

Good luck, beer me. Low carb rewards you quickly with some rapid weight loss, but that will taper off after a while. Remember, this is a long-term project and it is easy to get discouraged when the rate of reduction drops.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the long way home.

Thanks a million...I'll take you up on the low carb foods suggestion.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 09:03 AM
I really want to thank everyone who has offered something on this thread! As much shit as we give each other around here it's cool to know everyone has your back when your looking for real advice. Very Cool.

Rain Man
11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
We're starting Larry Atkins? I knew we were thin at linebacker, but this is ridiculous.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 09:06 AM
We're starting Larry Atkins? I knew we were thin at linebacker, but this is ridiculous.
KEEP F@#KING DOUBTING LARRY ATKINS!!!!!

yunghungwell
11-17-2004, 09:26 AM
My mother-in-law had a doctor tell her that she could lose some weight on the Atkins diet, but that when she went off the diet she could expect the weight to come back at a rate of pounds per day.

Gaz
11-17-2004, 09:38 AM
My mother-in-law had a doctor tell her that she could lose some weight on the Atkins diet, but that when she went off the diet she could expect the weight to come back at a rate of pounds per day.

That is 100% true if you go back to the way you used to eat.

Of course, that is 100% true for any diet, isn’t it?

And that is the bottom line. Diets are short-term solutions and will not result in long-term weight loss. You have to change the way that you eat.

Regardless of which avenue you choose, you have to make the decision to change the way you eat for the long term. Pick a plan you can stick with for the rest of your life. After the weight comes off, you can add in more fat/calories/carbs until you start gaining weight again. At that point, you have found your maintenance level.

Then comes the question: can you eat like that for the rest of your life? If the answer is yes, then stick with it. You are on the right road.

If the answer is no [you hate lowfat food, you can’t live without bread, you are hungry all the time], then you need to find another approach. More exercise, smaller servings or perhaps lowfat instead of low carb.

Oh, and you have to do that miserable exercise thing, too.

xoxo~
Gaz
Realizes that some folks might actually like the taste of cardboard and go with lowfat.

Gaz
11-17-2004, 09:44 AM
A rigorous exercise plan is the healthiest way to lose weight. Low carb and moderate exercise is a compromise that works for me.

Those of you with the self-discipline required to go that route, well, you suck.

xoxo~
Gaz
Too lazy.

HC_Chief
11-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Just have to find an exercise you enjoy. Cycling is mine.... I love hitting the trails. Exercise for exercise sake is boring; you have to have motivation.

Hoover
11-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Being an election year, my diet went to Shit for about 3 months. I didn't turn to the carp, I just ate things I was staying away from bread, taters. So in those 3 months, I held my weight.

The past 14 days, I have been to a wedding in St Louis where I got blitzed, and all they served was pasta, and then went to Minneapolis last weekend for a bach party, and got blitzed. I gained 5 lbs, and am pissed, so this week I'm hardcore again and back to starting 2 weeks of meat eating and water drinking.

MOhillbilly
11-17-2004, 09:59 AM
You could lose 100# and still get zero play w/ a messed up grill like that.

Gaz
11-17-2004, 10:10 AM
The only exercise I enjoy is sex.

xoxo~
Gaz
Generally does not last long enough to burn many calories.

morphius
11-17-2004, 11:01 AM
says the hillbilly

morphius
11-17-2004, 11:02 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

Thats why you do it more then once...

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Workout #1 Legs (6-12 reps)

6 Sets Full Squats (2 warmup 10 reps 4 heavy 5-8 reps)
4 Sets Hack Squats. (Heavy 5-8 reps)
3 sets Leg Extensions (Around 8 reps)
3 Sets Leg Curls. (Around 8 reps)
4 Sets Calves. (20 reps.)

Workout #2 Back and Bi’s (5-10 reps.)

3 Sets Pulldowns. (Warmups 10 Reps)
5 Sets Wide Rows.( On t-bar if possible)
5 Sets Deep Rows (You can superset these with wide rows)
3 Sets Dumbbell Rows
4 Sets Shoulder Shrugs (20 Reps.)
4 Sets Alternate Dumbell Curls.
4 Sets Straight Bar Curls.

Workout #3 Chest & Tri’s (5-10 reps.)

6 Sets Dumbell Bench Press. ( Warmup 2 sets 10 reps then heavy 5-6 reps)
4 Sets Incline Dumbell Bench Press. ( Heavy 5-8 reps.)
5 Sets Close Grip Bench Press. ( Heavy 5-6 reps.)
5 Sets Skull Crushers (Around 8 reps)
2 sets kick backs

I have to take off right now but I will check back later today to answer any questions you might have.

MOhillbilly
11-17-2004, 11:33 AM
says the hillbilly

shit i aint pretty but i dont have to cover my face w/ moose fur to keep the kids from crying.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2004, 12:02 PM

I already made that joke in this thread. RAIN MAN LOSES!

Mr. Kotter
11-17-2004, 12:07 PM
ROFL

:spock:

And that's funny, why? :harumph:

Frosty
11-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm hearing a lot of this all of the sudden now that I decided to try Atkins. Looks like I'll just end up doing a number of things to lose weight. An over all healthier lifestyle first and foremost.

That's a bullshit study. It's based off a questionairre on a website, no control or verification at all. If you want real, scientifically backed info, check out The Omnivore (http://www.theomnivore.com) . This isn't an Atkins site, it's more of a health site that looks at a lot of the questionable science that is out there.

The amount of misinformation about low-carb in the media is staggering. Real low carb is NOT all you can eat bacon and steaks. It is eating whole, natural foods - lots of vegies, some meat and dairy, and some fruit and whole grains in the later stages (life-long maintenance). It also isn't tons of low carb frankenfoods.

It says right in the book to only eat when physically hungry and eat just enough to be satified, not stuffed. Excercise is considered mandatory.

The dietary advise people give is funny. Eating pasta (which has zero nutritional value) or bread (which has very little value - some trace vitamins if whole wheat) is considered healthy while a large spinach/romaine salad and a pork chop is going to make my kidneys explode. :rolleyes:

Beer Me, do some research and find something you can stick with, like Gaz said.

Gaz
11-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Thats why you do it more then once...

And how old are you?

xoxo~
Gaz
Lucky to managed once a season.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
That's a bullshit study. It's based off a questionairre on a website, no control or verification at all. If you want real, scientifically backed info, check out The Omnivore (http://www.theomnivore.com) . This isn't an Atkins site, it's more of a health site that looks at a lot of the questionable science that is out there.

The amount of misinformation about low-carb in the media is staggering. Real low carb is NOT all you can eat bacon and steaks. It is eating whole, natural foods - lots of vegies, some meat and dairy, and some fruit and whole grains in the later stages (life-long maintenance). It also isn't tons of low carb frankenfoods.

It says right in the book to only eat when physically hungry and eat just enough to be satified, not stuffed. Excercise is considered mandatory.

The dietary advise people give is funny. Eating pasta (which has zero nutritional value) or bread (which has very little value - some trace vitamins if whole wheat) is considered healthy while a large spinach/romaine salad and a pork chop is going to make my kidneys explode. :rolleyes:

Beer Me, do some research and find something you can stick with, like Gaz said.
mmmmmmmmmmkay.....

I'm so confused after posting this thread.....

BigRedChief
11-17-2004, 03:25 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

Too much information.:hmmm:

morphius
11-17-2004, 03:27 PM
And how old are you?

xoxo~
Gaz
Lucky to managed once a season.

Come on, I'm 31 with EIA and I can do it more then once ...

:D

morphius
11-17-2004, 03:30 PM
mmmmmmmmmmkay.....

I'm so confused after posting this thread.....
Beerme - My theory is that all diets to lose weight are starving you to some degree, so follow the "moderation" rule and do whatever diet you think will work best. If you start off on one diet to lose your weight, and find you have to switch to something else, so be it, it is still healthier then what you are doing now, correct?

Good luck!

morphius
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
wtf is EIA?
Exercise induced asthma

Mr. Kotter
11-17-2004, 04:01 PM

30 seconds shouldn't count. :p

morphius
11-17-2004, 04:05 PM
30 seconds shouldn't count. :p
No, that wouldn't count...

Mosbonian
11-17-2004, 06:18 PM

Switching hands doesn't count....:)

mmaddog
a guy 3 months Gaz's senior

Mr. Kotter
11-17-2004, 06:32 PM

Workout #2 Back and Bi’s (5-10 reps.)

3 Sets Pulldowns. (Warmups 10 Reps)
5 Sets Wide Rows.( On t-bar if possible)
5 Sets Deep Rows (You can superset these with wide rows)
3 Sets Dumbbell Rows
4 Sets Shoulder Shrugs (20 Reps.)
4 Sets Alternate Dumbell Curls.
4 Sets Straight Bar Curls.

Workout #3 Chest & Tri’s (5-10 reps.)

6 Sets Dumbell Bench Press. ( Warmup 2 sets 10 reps then heavy 5-6 reps)
4 Sets Incline Dumbell Bench Press. ( Heavy 5-8 reps.)
5 Sets Close Grip Bench Press. ( Heavy 5-6 reps.)
5 Sets Skull Crushers (Around 8 reps)
2 sets kick backs

I have to take off right now but I will check back later today to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks, Troy. :thumb:

Weights, I'm pretty familiar (except "hack squats"? are those half way down?)...however, the supplements OTOH are greek to me (200mg of Q-10, a Garlinese 4000 tab and a good mulit-vitamin/mineral with extra C with biovlavanoids)....I've never considered doing them. Should I? If so, what do they do? FWIW, I do a multi-vitamin, C vitamin, and B vitamin presently.

My goal would be mostly to lose some weight (25-35 lbs), and then mostly tone. I'm not interested in bulking up really--genetically, beneath the fat, I'm a mesomorph. Thoughts?

jspchief
11-17-2004, 07:27 PM
Atkins is not a diet, it's change in diet. If you use it to lose weight, then go off of it, you'll likely gain it all back. It has to be a lifetime (or very long term at least) commitment to low carb eating habits.

I don't have an opinion on the health risks or benifits of it, because doctors aren't even sure yet.

I do know that the low-carb diets totally f*ck with my metabolism. I'm used to my 3+ BMs a day, and that diet had me going 2 days without sh*tting followed by horrible stomach cramps and total blow-outs (sorry about the TMI). It couldn't work well enough for me to endure that.

morphius
11-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Switching hands doesn't count....:)

mmaddog
a guy 3 months Gaz's senior
Ahhhh, the poor cry of jealousy...

Frosty
11-17-2004, 08:25 PM

etc....

I don't suppose you have something like this that uses just dumbbells and a bench? Some of us live in the sticks and don't have access to a gym, so the leg extensions, pulldowns, etc are out.

Phobia
11-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Oh..either diet you start, READ THE ENTIRE BOOK before you do it. Don't think you can do it all without knowledge.

Oh bullshit. I never read any book and did my own low carb modification about a year ago. I dropped about 30 lbs. Then I moved to KC and because I haven't been as active (no softball, volleyball, and only infrequent golf) have added about half that back. I drank beer, diet coke, and basically ate all I wanted. I hung a heavy bag in the basement recently and I'm gonna lose that other 15 lbs again.

What other methods of exercise do some of you cold weather dwellers do in the winter?

Phobia
11-17-2004, 08:51 PM

His wife is pretty hot. She rejected Bob Dole and I to go home with Todd. :shake:

Iowanian
11-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Hey iddybiddy beerme...........

I think you forgot the "before" pic you PMd me.

Iowanian
11-17-2004, 09:52 PM

xoxo~
Gaz

So we've heard

BIG_DADDY
11-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Troy. :thumb:

Weights, I'm pretty familiar (except "hack squats"? are those half way down?)...however, the supplements OTOH are greek to me (200mg of Q-10, a Garlinese 4000 tab and a good mulit-vitamin/mineral with extra C with biovlavanoids)....I've never considered doing them. Should I? If so, what do they do? FWIW, I do a multi-vitamin, C vitamin, and B vitamin presently.

My goal would be mostly to lose some weight (25-35 lbs), and then mostly tone. I'm not interested in bulking up really--genetically, beneath the fat, I'm a mesomorph. Thoughts?

The Garlinese tabs are for your heart, garlic is great for lowering your blood pressure and is a great blood purifier. Q-10 (Coenzyme Q 10 ) Is vital in the anti-aging process. It aids in the production of cells in your body and lowers blood pressure and is a very potent anti-oxidant. To me nothing is more important than taking Q-10 if your over 35. Here is a ton of information on it.

http://faculty.washington.edu/~ely/coenzq10.html

On another note if anyone really wants to understand how bad the drugs are your drug pushers ..... uh I mean doctors are prescribing to you and really want to able to understand basic health issues on a whole new level I highly suggest reading this book:

http://www.ultraprevention.com/book/excerpts.htm

If I were to recommend 1 book that could really change your life and put you back in control of your own health it would be this book. If anyone here orders the book and reads it and doesn't feel it was well worth their time and effort I will send you a check for the money you laid out. I am that convinced that everyone here should read the book.

BIG_DADDY
11-18-2004, 01:04 PM
I don't suppose you have something like this that uses just dumbbells and a bench? Some of us live in the sticks and don't have access to a gym, so the leg extensions, pulldowns, etc are out.

You have a barbell?

Frosty
11-18-2004, 01:31 PM
You have a barbell?

Yeah. I kind of got away from using it because I got tired of changing plates all the time. I went with set weight dumbbells, with a few of the old ones for the "in-between" weights.

Also, when you have multiple sets of an excercise, is it better to do all of the sets, with a short rest/recovery period in between sets, before moving to the next excercise?

Mr. Kotter
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
The Garlinese tabs are for your heart, garlic is great for lowering your blood pressure and is a great blood purifier. Q-10 (Coenzyme Q 10 ) Is vital in the anti-aging process. It aids in the production of cells in your body and lowers blood pressure and is a very potent anti-oxidant. To me nothing is more important than taking Q-10 if your over 35. Here is a ton of information on it.

http://faculty.washington.edu/~ely/coenzq10.html

On another note if anyone really wants to understand how bad the drugs are your drug pushers ..... uh I mean doctors are prescribing to you and really want to able to understand basic health issues on a whole new level I highly suggest reading this book:

http://www.ultraprevention.com/book/excerpts.htm

If I were to recommend 1 book that could really change your life and put you back in control of your own health it would be this book. If anyone here orders the book and reads it and doesn't feel it was well worth their time and effort I will send you a check for the money you laid out. I am that convinced that everyone here should read the book.

Thanks, Troy....I'll make a point of picking it up in the next couple of weeks.

BIG_DADDY
11-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah. I kind of got away from using it because I got tired of changing plates all the time. I went with set weight dumbbells, with a few of the old ones for the "in-between" weights.

Also, when you have multiple sets of an excercise, is it better to do all of the sets, with a short rest/recovery period in between sets, before moving to the next excercise?

You can use dumbbells for squats it's just difficult. I would use the barbell because ot the amount of the weight. I would also use it during your back routine as bent over barbell rows and dumbbell rows. You need the width when pulling to get wide back otherwise you just work thickness of back with dumbbell rows.

Frosty
11-18-2004, 03:19 PM
You can use dumbbells for squats it's just difficult. I would use the barbell because ot the amount of the weight. I would also use it during your back routine as bent over barbell rows and dumbbell rows. You need the width when pulling to get wide back otherwise you just work thickness of back with dumbbell rows.

Okay, thanks.

Do you have a decent replacement for the leg extensions, pull-downs and the other "machine reliant" exercises?

Also, what are "skull crushers"?

Appreciate your time on this.

BIG_DADDY
11-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Okay, thanks.

Do you have a decent replacement for the leg extensions, pull-downs and the other "machine reliant" exercises?

Also, what are "skull crushers"?

Appreciate your time on this.

In weight lifting we used to say as long as you do your meat and potatoes lifts you will be fine. Many lifts (like pulldowns) are for warm ups while others (leg extention and curls) are more for just trying to define the muscle a bit more. Squats are the mother of all meat and potatoe lifts. When done right nothing will do more for your legs. If your looking to define a bit more after try lunges or grab two dumbbells and jump up on a bench and back down over and over, that will do it. Do that exercise after doing squats. Squats alone though will be just fine, go all the way down.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-18-2004, 03:52 PM
His wife is pretty hot. She rejected Bob Dole and I to go home with Todd. :shake:
I thought he was talking to Hoover......ooops.

Frosty
11-18-2004, 04:28 PM
In weight lifting we used to say as long as you do your meat and potatoes lifts you will be fine. Many lifts (like pulldowns) are for warm ups while others (leg extention and curls) are more for just trying to define the muscle a bit more. Squats are the mother of all meat and potatoe lifts. When done right nothing will do more for your legs. If your looking to define a bit more after try lunges or grab two dumbbells and jump up on a bench and back down over and over, that will do it. Do that exercise after doing squats. Squats alone though will be just fine, go all the way down.

Okay, thanks BD.