PDA

View Full Version : How Safe Is Mullet Peterson's Job?

NaptownChief
11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
If the Chiefs don't win another game and finish 3-13 would he still survive? If that were to happen it would probably qualify as the biggest underachievement in the history of the league. Pile that on to his less than stellar track record we all know that any other team in the league would can their GM under the same circumstances but would Lamar strap on his Depends, dig in his heels and do what needs to be done? My guess is no, but curious if there would be realistically more hope than I currently believe.

Bowser
11-16-2004, 07:40 PM
You realize that Carl's boss is the same guy that kept Jack Steadman about twelve years too long, right?

NaptownChief
11-16-2004, 07:43 PM
You realize that Carl's boss is the same guy that kept Jack Steadman about twelve years too long, right?

Yes....That is why I currently feel there is a much better chance of Mullet getting taken out by a meteorite than by Lamar.

Bowser
11-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Yes....That is why I currently feel there is a much better chance of Mullet getting taken out by a meteorite than by Lamar.

Heh.....

Go wish on that star..............

tk13
11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
I could see the possibility of Carl just moving to the role of "President" while making Denny Thum the "GM"... not saying that's going to happen but I don't think it's far fetched. That'd make it look like they were doing something publicly without there being a ton of front-office bloodshed.

Mr. Laz
11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
i disagree...

i think there's about the same chance of the two happening

Bowser
11-16-2004, 07:55 PM
I could see the possibility of Carl just moving to the role of "President" while making Denny Thum the "GM"... not saying that's going to happen but I don't think it's far fetched. That'd make it look like they were doing something publicly without there being a ton of front-office bloodshed.

Sounds good in theory, but I get the impression that Thum is Carl's yes man.

This front office needs new blood on the football side. Let Carl stay on as President/CEO, and get a new GM. One that knows how to draft in rounds 1 through 4 on a consistantly high level.

NaptownChief
11-16-2004, 07:57 PM

I'm guessing they will make as many changes to the front office as they did to the defensive personel this past offseason.

Phobia
11-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Carl is going nowhere. Not until Clark is running the team on his own.

NaptownChief
11-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Let Carl stay on as President/CEO, and get a new GM. .

Mullet seems to be a control freak...As long as he remained in that capacity the GM would have as much opportunity to do his job as Larry Johnson.

Mr. Laz
11-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Let Carl stay on as President/CEO, and get a new GM

i have no problem with that AS LONG as the new GM is someone completely new. Not Denny Thum, not anyone currently employed by the chiefs.

as far as can see Thum isnt any better at identifying talent as carl

the entire personnel dept needs to go

shaneo69
11-16-2004, 09:16 PM
the entire personnel dept needs to go

...starting with Lynn Stiles.

tk13
11-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Sounds good in theory, but I get the impression that Thum is Carl's yes man.

Exactly. Hence the "change". *Nudge nudge wink wink*

NaptownChief
11-16-2004, 09:26 PM
This whole F'in franchise needs an enema...and just start over from stratch.

We will have seen 3 expansion teams come into the league, start from stratch and win a playoff game since the Chiefs last won one. Carolina and the Jags already have. The Texans most likely will before the Chiefs. The Browns(1999 expansion) are pitiful so that will probably be the battle to keep an eye on...

Bowser
11-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Exactly. Hence the "change". *Nudge nudge wink wink*

What was the question again?

Bowser
11-16-2004, 09:30 PM
This whole F'in franchise needs an enema...and just start over from stratch.

We will have seen 3 expansion teams come into the league, start from stratch and win a playoff game since the Chiefs last won one. Carolina and the Jags already have. The Texans most likely will before the Chiefs. The Browns(1999 expansion) are pitiful so that will probably be the battle to keep an eye on...

Agree with all of that 100%.

I wonder if it would be like that if our owner actually lived in the town his team played in?

KC Jones
11-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Agree with all of that 100%.

I wonder if it would be like that if our owner actually lived in the town his team played in?

Wouldn't make any difference.

The real problem is all the slackers who post on here. If all of you losers would work harder and make more money, you could afford to pay more for personal seat licenses and stadium suites. Kansas City would be a bigger more successful market, and then the Royals would succeed.

Oh... you're talking about the Chiefs :D

morphius
11-16-2004, 10:02 PM
I expect a couple of lower coaches gone next year, but generally everyone else will be back for one last year.

htismaqe
11-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Our only hope here is that the following happens:

1) Vermeil decides to retire in disgust.

2) Peterson decides that if he can't get it done here with the coach he wanted all along, he won't be able to get it done...he resigns.

3) Lamar, having lost his entire front office, decides to turn the team over to Clark.

4) Clark hires a young, up-and-coming GM who in turn hires a young, up-and-coming coach.

the Talking Can
11-17-2004, 12:25 PM
this will be our 12th season without a playoff victory....anyone who thinks CP is getting canned or that he will retire ouf of shame is dreaming.....12 years of failure, there is - literally- nothing CP could do that would cause Lamar to fire him....nothing

and I may add, we will never suceed with CP as GM...we are stuck, permanetly, in football hell

damn, it's cloudy outside....

Sig Kauffman
11-17-2004, 01:36 PM
If all of you losers would work harder and make more money, you could afford to pay more for personal seat licenses and stadium suites.

To hell with money...you have to work lousy hours for it and any $$$ you give to Lamar will be used on a pony rather than on making this team better.

tk13
11-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Our only hope here is that the following happens:

1) Vermeil decides to retire in disgust.

2) Peterson decides that if he can't get it done here with the coach he wanted all along, he won't be able to get it done...he resigns.

3) Lamar, having lost his entire front office, decides to turn the team over to Clark.

4) Clark hires a young, up-and-coming GM who in turn hires a young, up-and-coming coach.
You forgot:

5) Helloooooo to L.A.!

philfree
11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
First I'd like to say that there is no excuse for our playoff record since '93. None! No Chiefs fan is happy with it.

We will have seen 3 expansion teams come into the league, start from stratch and win a playoff game since the Chiefs last won one.

Expansion teams have alot better chance to build a playoff team in a short period of time because of all the extras they get in regards to draft picks and where they pick. They have none of the handi-caps that teams who are already in the league when it comes to putting together a team. Comparing expansion team success with established teams is not very equitable IMO.

PhilFree :arrow:

philfree
11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
You forgot:

5) Helloooooo to L.A.!

This more possible then alot of folks think.

htismaqe
11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
This more possible then alot of folks think.

It's not nearly as probable as some folks think.

LA is a possibility.

It's far more likely that they would stay in KC if they got a new stadium. LA is a big market, but there's a reason NFL teams don't stay there...

tk13
11-17-2004, 02:21 PM
It's far more likely that they would stay in KC if they got a new stadium. LA is a big market, but there's a reason NFL teams don't stay there...

And there's your catch...

philfree
11-17-2004, 02:25 PM
It's not nearly as probable as some folks think.

I don't think it's probable but I do know one thing about the USofA. Money talks and bullshit walks. If Clark Hunt is in charge and some group from LA throws a crazy financial package at him he may not be able to turn it down.

htismaqe
11-17-2004, 03:39 PM
And there's your catch...

I said having a new stadium would make it FAR MORE LIKELY for them to stay in KC.

Even without a new stadium I'd put the KC vs. LA odds at 85/15 or something similar...

philfree
11-17-2004, 03:59 PM
I said having a new stadium would make it FAR MORE LIKELY for them to stay in KC.

UH......A new Stdium would guarantee the Chiefs being in KC for another 30 years. The stadium improvement propsal would of done the same thing. Funny how we haven't won a game since the proposal failed :hmmm:

BigRedChief
11-17-2004, 04:00 PM
no way on LA. We are a showcase for the NFL. 3rd highest attendance etc. Not gonna happen. New Orleans had better be worried before us but LA will get a team by 2008.

But to the orginal question.....he will stay until Lamar dies or he leaves voluntarily.