PDA

View Full Version : Does your wife work?

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
If so, what does she do? While I was growing up in the 50's, very few of my buddies moms worked. But now it seems most every family needs two incomes.

ROYC75
11-17-2004, 12:06 PM
I figure if I ever find a broad dumb enough to marry me, I oughta be able to sucker her into being the breadwinner, too.

ROFL :clap:

Mine use to, early in our lives, she had to , help make ends meet. Now I wish she could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doing without the extra income for 6 years now. :banghead:

Braincase
11-17-2004, 12:07 PM
I figure if I ever find a broad dumb enough to marry me, I oughta be able to sucker her into being the breadwinner, too.

Worked for me, and she's a PhD, baby!

Rain Man
11-17-2004, 12:07 PM
My wife works with me. She does strategic planning, management retreats, and meeting facilitation. She occasionally walks into my office while I'm on chiefsplanet and makes a pointed comment about wasting time.

Craash
11-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Mine works harder than I do. It just at home with the twins. :-)

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Worked for me, and she's a PhD, baby!
You'd think a PhD would have better sense than to marry you.

shakesthecat
11-17-2004, 12:09 PM
She not only works, but she works for the same company I do.

She's basically the CEO's right-hand "man"
Makes 2X the salary I do, and could fire me on a whim.

Fortunately, I'm a model employee.

Craash
11-17-2004, 12:10 PM
My wife works with me. She does strategic planning, management retreats, and meeting facilitation. She occasionally walks into my office while I'm on chiefsplanet and makes a pointed comment about wasting time.

At least she should be happier now with the reduction of hair.

Amnorix
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
She occasionally walks into my office ....

I really thought this sentence was headed in a dramatically different direction than where it ended up. :LOL:

go bo
11-17-2004, 12:11 PM
all my wives have worked...

my current wife (of 25 years) is a nurse... :p :p :p

Amnorix
11-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Mine does. She some kind of bean counter in the mutual fund industry. Salary is perfectly good, but as she works for a huge financial services firm her benefits RULE.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2004, 12:13 PM
She probably will. She will most likely make more than I, too. :)

MichaelH
11-17-2004, 12:13 PM
My wife teaches Kindergarten in a poor urban school. Oh the stories she brings home. Talk about depressing!

Braincase
11-17-2004, 12:24 PM

That's a great big "No Shit, SHerlock!". Especially a Mechanical Engineer. It's like being married to Gaz with tits. Oh, sorry Gaz, didn't notice the moobs...

Jenny Gump
11-17-2004, 12:26 PM
My wife stays home. She knows her place.

Rain Man
11-17-2004, 12:30 PM

I think it's some sort of dissertation experiment.

KingPriest2
11-17-2004, 12:30 PM
My wife teaches Kindergarten in a poor, urban school. Oh the stories she brings home. Talk about depressing!

My wife use to work for a school district in southwest Missouri for about 7 years. She worked with elementary kids that were taken out of there class who misbehaved. So I know what you are talking about. Then the school district cut her program about a year and ahalf ago.

She now runs a prospering preschool. It has taken off for her. She started last August (after slaving to get the place open) She had 2 teachers at first and 10 kids. She had to let one of the teachers go to make ends meet. During January she had 15 kids still and 2 teachers and over the course of maybe 5 months she has over 72 kids and 11 staff members. We have expanded once back in March to bring in kids under 2. 12 new slots. We then recieved a grant from United Way to expand once again. We used the grant to expand the playground so the infants can have their own. This was back around Labor Day. During October we moved some walls around to get 12 new slots for kids. (if we did this back in March when we were working on the infant unit we would have saved ourselves money in labor and also 5 months of extra income we could have had)

She is currently trying to find grants so we can expand in the building next door and open over 100 slots and also expand over into Pittsburg. Our short term goal is to expand into southwest Missouri One in Carthage, then Neosho, and possibly 2 in Springfield. We also would like to expand into southeast KS. Our ultimate goal is to go regional possibly national.

If anyone knows where people could get grants please let me know.

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 12:32 PM
You're sure home a lot during the day. Did you get fired?

Frosty
11-17-2004, 12:37 PM
My wife works her butt off, only it's at home, as a stay at home mom. Now that the boys are older, she's thinking of getting a part time job at the school, mostly because she's there all the time, anyway, and might as well get paid for it.

The Rick
11-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Mine has worked very, very part-time since our daughter was born a little over a year ago. She works maybe 10 hours per week and most of that consists of working every other Saturday.

When she does work during the weekdays, she goes in at 4:00 and I'm off by 5:00 so there's very little overlap. During those overlap times, a family member will watch our daughter until I can pick her up.

We don't want to put our daughter in daycare and are glad we don't have to. My wife took a lot of time off after giving birth and we learned to live on one income. The nice thing about that is my wife's whole paycheck goes directly to our savings account.

We may not get to do as many nice things as others. We may not have as nice of a house as others, but it's worth it to us anyway.

ChiefsOne
11-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, my wife works full-time. I am trying to get her another job so I can be a stay at home husband! Not working yet.

She works in the medical field and has excellent benefits. Pay is just OK, but she has 8 weeks of vacation and has built up to 300+ hours of sick leave.

Calcountry
11-17-2004, 12:50 PM
It would be the other way arround. How could you ever be so stupid to get married.

Don't.

MichaelH
11-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Yes, my wife works full-time. I am trying to get her another job so I can be a stay at home husband! Not working yet.

Everytime my wife complains about the daycare we have our sons at, I tell her to get a better paying job so I can stay at home and watch the boys. So far, no luck.

bideau
11-17-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm proud to say that my wife is a Harvard grad and runs her own counseling agency.

She really didn't get her career going until our kids were in elementary school. We had our kids young and she felt she needed to stay home with them. Once they were gone for most of the day, she got going and is now very successful.

chiefz
11-17-2004, 01:14 PM
My wife is a stay at home mother with two kids under 4 years old.

I would say that she works harder than I do, although not professionally.

Ghostof
11-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Surgical nurse

and both parents are doctors

cadmonkey
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM

In front the TV watching her "stories" with a box of ding dongs? ROFL

Nightfyre
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
I'm so torn. I want a stay at home and make life great wife, but musicians get paid so little that it would be difficult to make a living without the second income. I guess I'll have to teach at a University.
Better get through my first semester of college first though.

cadmonkey
11-17-2004, 01:22 PM
While I'm not married, same girlfriend for almost 10 years, she just went to school for and has become a licensed massage therapist.

It isn't as great as you might think. I used to get rubbed down all the time when she was in school and needed to practice 600 hours before graduating. Now................nothin.

sd4chiefs
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
My wife is a Sr. Vice President at a small start up company. She makes a lot of money and she spends a lot money. I work part time at home and get to play a lot of golf. Life is good.

Amnorix
11-17-2004, 01:35 PM
While I'm not married, same girlfriend for almost 10 years, she just went to school for and has become a licensed massage therapist.

It isn't as great as you might think. I used to get rubbed down all the time when she was in school and needed to practice 600 hours before graduating. Now................nothin.

Don't worry, I gotcha covered. I'll tell her to stop spoiling me so much and give you some, err, massage time too... :thumb:

:):p

Lzen
11-17-2004, 01:40 PM

It's one of those strange side effects of being an engineer. I think their brain only has enough capacity for all of that technical, engineer knowledge. That leaves little to no room for common sense. ;)

Oh, and my wife also works for the state, in another agency than I. She is also working a PT job at a retail store at the mall for Christmas $$. :shake:

KC Jones
11-17-2004, 01:44 PM
My wife worked full time and helped put me through school. The second I got a degree and job offer she said she was too stressed and wanted to go part time. Figuring I owed her one I agreed to it. Since then she went back to school for a bit but decided not to pursue medical school. Then she tried out running a small business in downtown Lawrence - it only lost money. Finally, we had kids and she has become a stay at home mom who occasionally picks up a shift here and there as other therapists take time off or a clinic is shorthanded. However, I think once the youngest is of school age she plans to go back to at least being a part timer. She's currently president of her local professional organization and incredibly good at her career choice. Sometimes it's hard not to resent not having a second income, but the work she's doing with the kids is awesome. It's well worth having to make some budget sacrifices for the kids to have a stay at home mommy.

kcfanintitanhell
11-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Know what the difference is between an amateur musician and professional musician?

An amateur musician has a day job and a professional musician has a wife/spouse with a good paying job.....
My fiance is a patholgist assistant.
Thusly I am able to proudly call myself a professional musician.

chiefs4me
11-17-2004, 01:47 PM
yes,,,,,she works 90 plus hours a week at home:thumb:

roman gnome
11-17-2004, 01:49 PM
She does,and she works damn hard too !

She works at a hospital-as the training supervisor.

cadmonkey
11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Don't worry, I gotcha covered. I'll tell her to stop spoiling me so much and give you some, err, massage time too... :thumb:

:):p

I'll tell ya, that joke never gets old. One of my friends went to her spa and got an hour long massage and after he didn't know what to do. He said he felt odd and because of that he ended up giving her like a $40 tip.

He kept saying "I can't believe my buddy's girlfriend just had her hands all over me. Here take the money and don't say anything to him."

One time a guy asked her for some hand release. She asked if he signed the release form. He said yes with a smile on his face. She said "Oh I'm so sorry, I can't now." That smile went away pretty fast. She was only f*cking with him of course........I think/hope.

She actually just got hired by Ray Bourque and his wife. The just opened a spa somewhere around here.

NewChief
11-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Mine designs clothes for the nameless Evil Empire. Right now we make pretty close to the same amount of money, but within the next 5 years, she'll probably triple my salary, as she's moving up very rapidly.

Unfortunately for her career, she's pregnant and due before too long. We haven't decided whether she's going to try to keep her same job (12 hours a day away from the home) or get something different.

siberian khatru
11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
School teacher (1st grade).

Brianfo
11-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Mine works harder than I do. It just at home with the twins. :-)
My wife is a stay at home mom to. I don't know how she does it. We have a boy and a girl that are just over 6 months old. They are a handful.

PastorMikH
11-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Mine works part-time (3 days a week) and is a Nurse.

teedubya
11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
I'll tell ya, that joke never gets old. One of my friends went to her spa and got an hour long massage and after he didn't know what to do. He said he felt odd and because of that he ended up giving her like a $40 tip.

He kept saying "I can't believe my buddy's girlfriend just had her hands all over me. Here take the money and don't say anything to him."

One time a guy asked her for some hand release. She asked if he signed the release form. He said yes with a smile on his face. She said "Oh I'm so sorry, I can't now." That smile went away pretty fast. She was only f*cking with him of course........I think/hope.

She actually just got hired by Ray Bourque and his wife. The just opened a spa somewhere around here.

ha ha ahha.... Cadmonkey's wife gives his friends and other random dudes handjobs for tips... that owns.

NewChief
11-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Microsoft?
The Yankees?
The Raiderz?

Wait... is Al Davis your brother-in-law?

There's only one Evil Empire in Northwest Arkansas.

And, no, she's not related to anyone there.

Lzen
11-17-2004, 03:18 PM
yes,,,,,she works 90 plus hours a week at home:thumb:

Oh really? Did you 2 get married in Massachusetts?

Lzen
11-17-2004, 03:21 PM
There's only one Evil Empire in Northwest Arkansas.

And, no, she's not related to anyone there.

Walmart?

stevieray
11-17-2004, 03:26 PM
She married me, didn't she?

Lzen
11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Hey Steve, did ya get my PM yeserday? I still didn't get that pic.

stevieray
11-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Hey Steve, did ya get my PM yeserday? I still didn't get that pic.

I've sent it to BOTH emails..I don't know what to tell you.

chiefs4me
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Oh really? Did you 2 get married in Massachusetts?

What??:hmmm:

jollymon
11-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Yes and no. The wife is a teacher also, but she is taking a year or two off to stay at home with the new baby. So far it has been great for us, hopefully life doesn't bite us on the butt while we are making the sacrifice. :D

Mile High Mania
11-17-2004, 04:47 PM
My wife works from home - as do I, but she's much more flexible with her schedule. She is her own boss... it works great with 2 kids.

Demonpenz
11-17-2004, 06:38 PM
I am sure someone will break their leg or need a new kidney or something

Nzoner
11-17-2004, 07:46 PM

Wife and I have owned our direct mail advertising publication for 14 years together,I sell the ads,she designs them so she has an excuse to be on the computer all day,however,since our business is in a 2 story building which is also our home she frequently finds me upstairs in my computer room and says the same thing.

Bowser
11-17-2004, 09:05 PM
My wife works with mutual and retirement funds, then goes and blows all of our money. Go figure. :shake:

Inspector
11-17-2004, 10:17 PM
She's a retired grandma.

We (her mostly) watch the grankids while our kids and their wives work.