PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Will No Longer Skip Past Advertisers

Donger
11-17-2004, 01:14 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-et-tivo17nov17,0,927837.story?coll=la-home-headline

When it debuted in 1999, TiVo revolutionized the TV experience by wresting control of screen time from advertisers, allowing viewers to record shows and skip commercials. TiVo's slogan said it all: "TV your way."

Behind the scenes, though, TiVo was courting advertisers, selling inroads to a universe most customers saw as commercial-free. The result is a groundbreaking new business strategy, developed with more than 30 of the nation's largest advertisers, that in key ways circumvents the very technology that made TiVo famous.

SNIP

Hammock Parties
11-17-2004, 01:22 PM
I just fast-forward through the commercials. No biggie.

Donger
11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Grossly misleading title.

What else would you expect from the LA Times?

Brock
11-17-2004, 01:24 PM
I just fast-forward through the commercials. No biggie.

According to the article, it won't be that simple anymore. I guess.

ptlyon
11-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Holy Cow Donger - you're from Correctionville?

jcroft
11-17-2004, 01:26 PM
This article headline is about as accurate as if I said ,"Terrell Owens bones that Desperate Housewives chick -- the world watches."

Hammock Parties
11-17-2004, 01:29 PM
According to the article, it won't be that simple anymore. I guess.

Why the hell not? I'm just fast-forwarding through a part of the recording I made. I don't see how TV stations are going to control my TiVo remote.

jcroft
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Why the hell not? I'm just fast-forwarding through a part of the recording I made. I don't see how TV stations are going to control my TiVo remote.

If you read any of the nine-million articles on this topic posted today, you'll see that TiVo is planning to display some kind of an advertisment banner while you are fast-forwarding. It sounds like you'll still be able to fast-forward, but you'll see something overlaying the screen that would be a "clickable" advertisment.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2004, 01:33 PM
If you read any of the nine-million articles on this topic posted today, you'll see that TiVo is planning to display some kind of an advertisment banner while you are fast-forwarding. It sounds like you'll still be able to fast-forward, but you'll see something overlaying the screen that would be a "clickable" advertisment.

I really don't care. I'm still fast-forwarding. I just want to save time. I could care less what's on the screen.

Kylo Ren
11-17-2004, 01:52 PM
I love my TiVo. I don't yet think TiVo is the devil like so many do.

Ultra Peanut
11-17-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm still unclear on how this affects my method (skipping through at thirty seconds per click).

jcroft
11-17-2004, 02:15 PM
I really don't care. I'm still fast-forwarding. I just want to save time. I could care less what's on the screen.

I agree. But relax, man -- I was just answering your question.

jcroft
11-17-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm still unclear on how this affects my method (skipping through at thirty seconds per click).

If you're doing that on TiVo, it's a hack, right? Like a code you have to enter or something?

If that's the case, I'd say one of two things is going to happen:

1. It won't affect you at all.
2. TiVo will disable that hack.

Hammock Parties
11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
I agree. But relax, man -- I was just answering your question.

It's OK, I'm not mad. I just used harsh language. :D

Ultra Peanut
11-17-2004, 04:01 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if a future software version disabled that.That would be when I go on a murderous rampage across the countryside.

jiveturkey
11-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Who the f*ck thinks Tivo is the devil?I was still trying to steer clear of Foosball. If Tivo is the devil then Foosball is probably good to go.

Would DVR's also be the devil? :hmmm:

dtebbe
11-17-2004, 04:17 PM
I bet the 30 second skip "easter egg" is about to go away. There are still enough good points that I would probably keep it, but the warm n' fuzzy feeling I have for Tivo will be gone.

DT

jcroft
11-17-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm with Endelt. I prefer the regular ff. With the rollback feature, it's just fine for me.

jcroft
11-17-2004, 04:26 PM
I do three arrows and don't have much problem. Took me a while to get it just right, but I've got the timing down.

Of course, I've had TiVo for like five years now -- so I've had time to perfect it. :)

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Who the f*ck thinks Tivo is the devil?
The abominable things cause arguments. They need two cables from the dish. Often, one cable is already there (in the walls) and the customer wants me to run the second one through the attic and fish it down the wall. Then I tell him to gfy and IT'S ON.

Frosty
11-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Yep. I use two arrows. When I see the show and hit play, it jumps back to the perfect spot. Three jumps back too far for me.

I do this too, though, unfortunately, you catch a second of whatever is coming up - usually the Chiefs' opponent jumping up and down and celebrating :mad: . Then I just leave it on ff. :banghead:

Ultra Peanut
11-17-2004, 07:53 PM
I do this too, though, unfortunately, you catch a second of whatever is coming up - usually the Chiefs' opponent jumping up and down and celebrating :mad: . Then I just leave it on ff. :banghead:So sad, but so true. :LOL:

:LOL: ROFL :LOL: ROFL

jcroft
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
I watch Chiefs games live.

Me too. And that's about the ONLY thing I watch live. Other than Chiefs games, I can't even remember the last time I watched live TV.

Frosty
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I watch Chiefs games live.

Can't do it. I hate commercials too much (add half-time to that, too).

I usually have another game (usually Falcons or Seahawks) paused on the other tuner and will switch over to that game when I get caught up on the Chiefs game. That way I can watch two games in the time it would take to watch one live.

Frosty
11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I have no interest in watching any other game.

Sunday Ticket costs too damn much for me to only get one game out of it. :harumph: