PDA

View Full Version : Why is it not the border war?

ENDelt260
11-17-2004, 05:11 PM

Rain Man
11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
I thought the Texas-Oklahoma game was the border war. You can't have two border wars.

David.
11-17-2004, 05:15 PM
tis not PC I suppose.

Rain Man
11-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Bullshit.

I swear. They call it the border war.

Demonpenz
11-17-2004, 05:17 PM
I don't know but we sure got together and helped move those mormons off our land!

HolmeZz
11-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I thought they called Texas/Oklahoma the Red River Shootout.

Slayer Diablo
11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
They stopped calling it the Boarder War because it's supposedly "racist"...sucks, don't it?

HolmeZz
11-17-2004, 05:20 PM
What's racist about 'Border War'? :shrug:

KC Kings
11-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Because the word "war" offends many sensitive types, and should not be used to describe a rivalry started when a group of Missourians raped, pilaged, and burned down most of Lawrence.

HolmeZz
11-17-2004, 05:22 PM
I can understand that, but that has nothing to do with the racism claim made before. :p

Spicy McHaggis
11-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Nothing in the modern context. I'm guessing that it goes back to the Jayhawkers and the Free State and Slave State kinda deal.

PastorMikH
11-17-2004, 05:23 PM
It's probably considered more of a border girlie fight at this point. War is just too big of a word for describing these two teams matching up.

FWIW, If I were a betting man, I'd say MU will dominate the 1st quarter then try to give it away the entire second half.

Slayer Diablo
11-17-2004, 05:25 PM

Because when Kansas was made, they wanted to be a free state, but people in Missouri rushed over to vote in Kansas's state election and made it a slave state...after that, there were a lot of violent acts that made the whole ordeal become known as the Boarder War.

KC Kings
I don't remember exactly, so this could be completely wrong, but I did learn about ir at one time.

Some of the fighting happened when Missourians crossed the Kansas border and posed as Kansas to vote and make sure Kansas, an anti-slavery state, would leave the Union. The cheating is why Missouri's vote to leave the union was never acknowledged, but they were still given a star on the Confederate flag (as was Kentucky) for being Union states fighting for the confederacy.

Skip Towne
Because the word "war" offends many sensitive types, and should not be used to describe a rivalry started when a group of Missourians raped, pilaged, and burned down most of Lawrence.
It's all the MUrons fault as usual. They are the slavers.

PastorMikH
11-17-2004, 05:26 PM

I've heard that mentioned before. I could see that logic sticking if we were playing this game in 1880 or even 1900, but that's been 140 years ago. I'd say it has been long enough that people need to get over it.

PastorMikH
11-17-2004, 05:29 PM
I don't remember exactly, so this could be completely wrong, but I did learn about ir at one time.

Some of the fighting happened when Missourians crossed the Kansas border and posed as Kansas to vote and make sure Kansas, an anti-slavery state, would leave the Union. The cheating is why Missouri's vote to leave the union was never acknowledged, but they were still given a star on the Confederate flag (as was Kentucky) for being Union states fighting for the confederacy.

Quantrill and his raiders to be exact. They claimed to be confederates hough they were more of a band of outlaws that were after their own interests.

Demonpenz
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
weren't they there to kill some dude, but he was hiding in the outhouse?

PastorMikH
11-17-2004, 05:31 PM
It's all the MUrons fault as usual. They are the slavers.

Before you get to condemning there, which color did the boys from Arkansas sport in that war?

KC Jones
11-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Quantrill and his raiders to be exact. They claimed to be confederates hough they were more of a band of outlaws that were after their own interests.

They were terrorists. :eek: :D

IIRC the reason they want to move away from the term "border war" has to do with the rising violence and antagonism displayed at the games by the classless goons from MU. It's just one aspect of the attempt to return it to more of a friendly neighborly rivalry.

ADDENDUM: I really should not have said "classless goons", what I meant to say was "inbred backwater knuckle dragging goons aka the Antlers club".

:D

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Before you get to condemning there, which color did the boys from Arkansas sport in that war?
I'm from Kansas. 56 years worth. I just moved here a couple years ago. And the KU-MU game isn't big enough to call a war. It is more of a Police Action.

PastorMikH
11-17-2004, 05:39 PM
And the KU-MU game isn't big enough to call a war. It is more of a Police Action.

Police action is a little too big too. :)

DJay23
11-17-2004, 05:40 PM
They were terrorists. :eek: :D

IIRC the reason they want to move away from the term "border war" has to do with the rising violence and antagonism displayed at the games by the classless goons from MU. It's just one aspect of the attempt to return it to more of a friendly neighborly rivalry.
The administrations and student governments of both schools have proposed to curtail hostilities in the rivalry. There was an article a while back in the UDK about it, but I'm awful lazy so I'm not looking for it.

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 05:40 PM

Yep, it's wrong. See the Battle of Pea Ridge. Missouri for the Union and Arkansas for the South.

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Police action is a little too big too. :)
Bar fight?

Demonpenz
11-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Somehow i think my idea for "The largest outdoor Gaybash." wouldn't fly either

PastorMikH
11-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Bar fight?

Kindergarter scuffle?

Saulbadguy
11-17-2004, 06:01 PM
FORD sponsered it, and renamed it the Border Showdown because FORD thought War was too offensive.

KcMizzou
11-17-2004, 06:05 PM
FORD sponsered it, and renamed it the Border Showdown because FORD thought War was too offensive. Meh.. we need a new sponsor.

Spott
11-17-2004, 06:16 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9835856.htm?1c

MU athletic director Mike Alden and KU's Lew Perkins announced that henceforth the Missouri-Kansas Border War athletic series will be known as The Border Showdown.

“Our rivalry with Kansas is a very important thing to many people,” Alden said. “But it certainly pales in comparison with what is taking place overseas, and this is the right thing to do.”

Perkins said: “We feel that in the aftermath of September 11, 2001, and the ensuing events around the world, it is inappropriate to use the term ‘war' to describe intercollegiate athletics events. We need to be more sensitive to the men and women who defend our country for real.”

The idea for a name change surfaced after KU hired Perkins last summer. Perkins said Monday night that he broached the topic with Missouri officials several months ago. After a few discussions, the two sides agreed it was the right thing to do.

redfan
11-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Because some suit nazi from FJORD got his panties in a twist and thought some other puzzies might raise a stink about calling it a "war". What with current events and all... :rolleyes:

They shoulda renamed it the Border Pillow Fight.

gblowfish
11-17-2004, 09:45 PM
A rivalry started when a group of Missourians raped, pilaged, and burned down most of Lawrence.
Personally, I don't have a big problem with that :)

Skip Towne
11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Yep, the James Gang were a part of Quantrill's Raiders. They were real nice folks. Just more MUrons.

KC Kings
11-18-2004, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=Skip Towne]Yep, it's wrong. See the Battle of Pea Ridge.

Missouri never left the Union and had men that fought for the Union army. Missouri also had lot of men who fought on the other side, and were acknowledge by the confederates on their flag. Same thing with Kentucky. That also explains why the only father and son to be goverenors of Missouri, the Marmadukes, the father was a union officer and the son was a confederate officer.

teedubya
11-18-2004, 09:15 AM
It should be called "The Border Tussle" cuz both teams are really weak.

in hoops, it should be called the "Border Mismatch"

teedubya
11-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Personally, I don't have a big problem with that :)

well i have seen MU chicks and I have seen KU chicks, so its obvious why missourians came to try to hook up with our women... even in the 1860's I bet they were much hotter than missourah's ho's

ROYC75
11-18-2004, 09:17 AM
The war stopped because MU realized it could not win !

Spott
11-18-2004, 02:25 PM
well i have seen MU chicks and I have seen KU chicks, so its obvious why missourians came to try to hook up with our women... even in the 1860's I bet they were much hotter than missourah's ho's

It's not that they were hotter. The KU chicks just put out more.