PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 2005 Thread

Lzen
11-18-2004, 08:44 AM
Separate thread for each game? I just figured the one Madden thread was getting to full of other stuff.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104095

So, this is the unofficial official NCAA Football 2005 thread

Lzen
11-18-2004, 08:51 AM
So, with Parker's settings I ended up losing the NC game to Florida 31-28. Their superior talent overcame a scrappy KU team. The last 2 games I played (B12 title game and Nat'l Championship game) have been the most fun I've had on this game in awhile. The game was getting almost boring because I was always winning handily. And I tend to make small adjustments at the end of seasons to make it more realistic. So, that would've taken a few more seasons to get the settings right.

htismaqe
11-18-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm glad you like those settings...I have no idea how good they are, I just know the author has done good ones in the past...

Saulbadguy
11-18-2004, 09:55 AM
I've been using them without the Penalty settings.

I'm having trouble running the ball, even with superior offensive line talent and a good RB. Even weak Defensive lines are getting a good push. My only offense right now has been long bombs to a 98 OVR WR, with my True freshman QB with an 84 OVR. I imagine when I play a good defense that will stop. Ball State gave me some issues, and my next game is vs Miami (OH), but they are 0-2 so i'm not worrying too much.

Lzen
11-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Use the penalty settings, Saul. They help balance out the AI settings. I'm not really having much trouble running the ball. And that's against 2 good defenses that I just played in Texas A&M and Florida. Perhaps it's just you. :p I never used to use the juke move (or rarely used it). I used to always try the stiffarm. Well, I've found that the juke is much more effective at helping me gains extra yardage. Now, I use it all the time and it's very effective. I don't know if you do this but you should work on it if you haven't.

Also, audible out of running plays if it looks like the defense will bring extra guys and blow up the play. I like to run a lot of draws, counters, screens, triple options, and just basically running in 3 and 4 wide sets. Try that, it may help.

htismaqe
11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
When running the ball, don't use the speed burst until there's no one around.

For some reason, pressing that button causes any defender near you to instantly go into a tackling animation, which pretty much guarantees you're going to get dropped.

Saulbadguy
11-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Use the penalty settings, Saul. They help balance out the AI settings. I'm not really having much trouble running the ball. And that's against 2 good defenses that I just played in Texas A&M and Florida. Perhaps it's just you. :p I never used to use the juke move (or rarely used it). I used to always try the stiffarm. Well, I've found that the juke is much more effective at helping me gains extra yardage. Now, I use it all the time and it's very effective. I don't know if you do this but you should work on it if you haven't.

Also, audible out of running plays if it looks like the defense will bring extra guys and blow up the play. I like to run a lot of draws, counters, screens, triple options, and just basically running in 3 and 4 wide sets. Try that, it may help.
I can't run screens worth SHIT. Ever. My most success comes from running sweeps. I can usually average 6-8 YPC on sweeps and tosses, but running straight through the tackles or up the gut I don't do well on.

Counters? Forget about it. I instantly get brought down by the person the guard pulls against, for usually about a 2 yard loss. Most of the time.

And I only use the speed burst when i'm about to get to the next level, ie past the D-line.

Saulbadguy
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Oh..and I juke and spin. Spinning never works in madden, but it works GREAT in NCAA. Juking works pretty good too.

My RB this year isn't that great though. That could be part of it. He is an 84 OVR. When I had Darren Sproles (93 OVR) he ran all over the place.

Lzen
11-18-2004, 12:32 PM
My running back is about the same. Actually, I have 2 sophomore RBs that are about the same. Hmmm, not sure why you're having trouble. Perhaps you just don't know how to run an offense. :p

Lzen
11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Seriously, how is your offensive line? Or how about your FB? How well do your receivers and TE block? I guess one could assume your TE and WRs do block well since you have success with sweeps. I like calling a hb dive in 3 or 4 wide sets. Most of the time I can take it outside the tackle (instead of inside where the play is designed to go) and get a good gain of 5-10 yards.

Saulbadguy
11-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Seriously, how is your offensive line? Or how about your FB? How well do your receivers and TE block? I guess one could assume your TE and WRs do block well since you have success with sweeps. I like calling a hb dive in 3 or 4 wide sets. Most of the time I can take it outside the tackle (instead of inside where the play is designed to go) and get a good gain of 5-10 yards.
Pretty good O-Line..noone under 80. I just don't run too much right now, as my passing game is going so well. I have been able to run in the past, its just this year the running game isn't getting well established.

Demonpenz
11-18-2004, 03:26 PM
you have to really setup the spin in madden

Lzen
11-18-2004, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't know. I have rarely ever used the spin in Madden or NCAA. That is mainly due to the fact that if you do it with someone around, the chances of you fumbling are much greater.

Lzen
11-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Pretty good O-Line..noone under 80. I just don't run too much right now, as my passing game is going so well. I have been able to run in the past, its just this year the running game isn't getting well established.

Well, I'm still not having any trouble running with Parker's settings. I'm 2 games into my season and my sophomore RB is leading the Heisman voting. I've play Central Michigan, which I won something like 45-19(they should've scored less but I ended up giving them a cheap TD late). Then I played #1 randked Florida in a revenge game for them stealing my national championship last year. I won 31-22. My starting RB ended up with about 130 yards on 25 carries. It has been challenging, no doubt. But I'm having fun with it. ;)

Saulbadguy
11-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Alright..just got done with Miami (OH)
Final Score:
KSU 45
Miami (OH)13

I worked on my running game and got 127 yards on 21 carries with 2 tds, and passing I went 10/22, 243 yards and 3 TD's.

It was tied 10-10 at the half, but I opened up the second half with an INT return for a TD, and then another INT that led to a passing TD on the next play.

Defensively it was my worst game this season. Allowed 211 yards of offense vs one of the worst offenses in the league coming in to the game, ranked 108th. Next week won't be so easy, when I travel to Kyle Field to take on the #20th ranked Texas A&M Aggies.

Saulbadguy
11-21-2004, 09:00 PM
and..just finished vs Texas A&M.
Final Score:
KSU 26
TAMU: 14

Closer than the score indicates..by a wide margin. I was trailing for the first time this season, TWICE this game. I scored LATE (0:00 on the clock) with a pass to the end zone, and tied it up 10-10 at halftime. Then TAMU scored in the 3rd quarter to go up 17-10..and then I ripped off 2 TD's late in the 4th quarter to go up by 2 scores, and then had TAMU backed up and got a safety.

Running game gave me problems again..I couldn't get ANYTHING going this game until late in the 4th (chewing up clock). 21 attempts for 60 yards, no TDs. My second string back got 12 yards on 2 attempts and a TD.

Lzen
11-21-2004, 09:24 PM
One thing that I've always noticed on NCAA and even Madden is that it may take a team a few games to gel. But once you have that game or 2 where you pull out a tight win, your team just seems to play better the rest of the season. I don't know if that's just me or if it's a feature that they don't advertise. But it always seems to happen with me. I just too my #2 ranked Jayhawks down to #7 ranked Texas A&M and came away with a blowout victory.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
finished the KU vs KSU game a few days ago and forgot to recap:
Final Score:
KSU 45
KU 0

This game was never close. It seemed my players played "better" for this one. On defense we registered 6 sacks, 2 picks, a FF, and a defensive TD off an INT.

Offensively, I passed for 270 yards and 4 TD's. Rushed for a little over a 100 and a couple TD's. KU was just inept on offense. They had negative yardage and no first downs until midway in to the 4th quarter, when subbed in my 2nd team defense and offense.

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I think I'll pick up NCAA this weekend.

Shortly thereafter, I will have some Heisman sliders for you guys. :D

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Anyone play online?

Lzen
11-23-2004, 02:26 PM
Anyone play online?

I've never played NCAA online. I have played Madden online in the past. I just got tired of all the cheesers online.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2004, 02:54 PM
I've never played NCAA online. I have played Madden online in the past. I just got tired of all the cheesers online.
Yeah...but it would be cool to start a Chiefsplanet "League" of some sort... :hmmm:

Lzen
11-24-2004, 10:05 AM
finished the KU vs KSU game a few days ago and forgot to recap:
Final Score:
KSU 45
KU 0

Yeah, like that's realistic. ROFL

BTW, a CP league wouldn't be bad. We'd have to set up some rules beforehand, though.

Saulbadguy
11-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Yeah, like that's realistic. ROFL

BTW, a CP league wouldn't be bad. We'd have to set up some rules beforehand, though.
Its actually pretty accurate when you look at the last few years scores..until this year :)

Bearcat
11-24-2004, 11:40 AM
This is in 2004, but I just started a Dynasty with Oklahoma State not that long ago...

Got tired of building from scratch, and wanted to try a school that is good, but isn't one of the top couple of teams in it's conference. I've done it once with South Carolina, and it ended up being a great Dynasty.

Lost 3 games in my first season, losing to OU, but beating Texas (in the Greatest Football Game Ever Played.... I think the Greatness score was over 1600).

Beat KSU, which was their only regular season loss. KSU ended up #1 in the polls/BCS.

I beat them at Arrowhead, which knocked them out of the NC game :D

Beat Florida in the Fiesta Bowl. :thumb:

Another reason I chose OSU was because of the recruiting wars in Texas between Texas, OU, and hopefully now, OSU. Ended up with the #2 ranked recruiting class in the nation. Texas was #1.

So, as it goes in NCAA '04, I drop from #8 to #21, despite my recruiting class. As of now, I've finished my non conference schedule (plus Nebraska, which is my first game of the season) in season two..... Texas is #2 in the nation, OU is #3, and I'm #7.

OU struggled last year, so I'm glad they're back, because this is exactly what I was looking for. After Texas Tech & KSU, I get Texas and then OU :drool:

Demonpenz
12-04-2004, 08:26 PM
can someone post the sliders for ncaa 05 again?

Lzen
12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Here ya go, Demonpenz.

From htismaqe on the Madden 05 thread:

Give these a try...

8min quarters on AA
Offense (H/CPU)
9/16
10/10
20/20
11/17
6/20

Defense (H/CPU)
0/7
10/10
10/10
12/10
9/10

SpecTeams (H/CPU)
10/10
2/0
10/10
10/10
10/10

penalty (in order top to bottom)
max
max
max
max
max
max
max

Demonpenz
12-06-2004, 09:53 PM
i don't really understand what i am looking at

Demonpenz
12-06-2004, 09:54 PM
there aren't any numerical numbers when setting it. I guess it just means how many times you "CLICK"

David.
12-07-2004, 01:44 AM
so I really need to pick this game up. I'm thinking about getting a new xbox anyways, so I'd get this game free. Just need 150 dollars.

Good thing christmas is coming up :)

Lzen
12-07-2004, 11:47 AM
there aren't any numerical numbers when setting it. I guess it just means how many times you "CLICK"

Yes, it's how many clicks. I'm not at home right now to check for sure but if memory serves, I believe from all the way left to all the way right is 0 to 20.

In other words:
Far left = 0
Far right = 20

Lzen
02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Update on my franchise, if anyone gives a hoot.

Kansas Jayhawks were 10-3 in 2005. I lost out on playing in the B12 championship game even though I beat the North division winner, Colorado. They somehow managed to beat both Oklahoma and Texas and one of those games was an away game. CU even beat OU again in the B12 championship game. Go figure.

I was tied with Texas late in the 4th quarter but they managed to add a couple TDs and won 42-28 at Austin. I also lost to OU. They totally wiped the floor with me at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence. I did win my bowl game, though.

Fast forward to 2006. I'm undefeated and just played in the B12 championship game against OU. They had a chance to tie it at the end with a pass into the end zone. My db deflected the pass as time expired.
KU 31 OU 24.

I'm 12-0 and ranked #1 in the country. Going to play in the national championship game. Then it's back to Madden for a couple seasons.

Couple things about NCAA that are different than Madden that I had forgotten about(since I had been playing Madden since I got it in November):

-Kick meter is much easier to use. Although my kicker can't kick very long FGs with the settings Parker gave me.

-The juke works much better in NCAA than in Madden.

-You can get away with chucking a pass deep and having your WR go up and get it in NCAA. Doesn't usually work in Madden.

Saulbadguy
02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Heh. Forgot about this thread. I'm working on a Dynasty with Florida Atlantic. In my 4th season, they got voted in to the ACC, and Duke got voted out. :D

Lzen
02-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Heh. Forgot about this thread. I'm working on a Dynasty with Florida Atlantic. In my 4th season, they got voted in to the ACC, and Duke got voted out. :D

Sounds like a good trade for the ACC IN FOOTBALL! They'll be sorry come basketball season. lol

htismaqe
02-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I went ahead and got NCAA 2005 and played it for about 2 weeks before I traded it in...

The WR drops were unbearable...

Lzen
02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
I went ahead and got NCAA 2005 and played it for about 2 weeks before I traded it in...

The WR drops were unbearable...

Yes, that is a big problem. But it can be overcome (for the most part) by ramping up the AI. Of course, that may work differently with the Xbox.

Lono
03-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I have no problem running the ball or catching. I am 5 years into the franchise and still have never lost a game. I am on the hardest setting and usually rush for 200 a game and pass for 300 or 400. Is there a way to make it harder? Or do I just play too much. Oh I am Mizzou.