PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from the computer gurus...

Fat Elvis
11-19-2004, 09:38 AM
OK, here's the deal: My hard drive has some bad sectors on it so I'm figuring it will go sometime in the fairly near future. I'm wanting to transfer my data to a new HD. I have Norton System Works 2002. It has Ghost on it. I only want to install Ghost, but it doesn't seem like the NSW2002 will let me install just that program. What can I do?

Thanks

Fat E

Uncle Jesse
11-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Is this the only drive in your PC?

Does the PC still boot?

If it is the master drive, and your PC still boots, then do you have a cd-r drive to transfer your files to?

A USB pen drive or something along those lines also is an easy way to save your files.

That would be the easiest way. Ghosting a drive is an option but not the easiest, and Norton system works isnt that great of a product IMHO

Is it documents and such that you need to save?

Or you could just buy a new hard drive, and install your OS on it, and attach the old failing drive as a slave drive by changing the jumpers, and just transfer the files to the new drive, scrapping the old drive afterwards.

KCTitus
11-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Slave the old drive...copy the files at your leisure to your new HD.

Undertaker #59
11-19-2004, 10:06 AM

That won't copy the master boot record.

Your copy of ghost should have a DOS executable on it. Copy that to a bootable floppy and run from a clean boot.

KCWolfman
11-19-2004, 10:07 AM
Yup, then trash it.

BTW - I just transferred a huge set of files from one PC to another via an external drive connected by firewire. DAMN!! that was fast. Even internally, 10 Gig would take about 45 minutes to an hour. With the firewire, I have the entire files transferred in 15 minutes.

KCWolfman
11-19-2004, 10:09 AM

Your copy of ghost should have a DOS executable on it. Copy that to a bootable floppy and run from a clean boot.
Hmm, (this sounds feasible, but something doesn't seem quite right). Can you:
A. Install new drive as master
B. Create a system restore point
C. Copy files over to new drive
D. Remove old drive
E. Use system restore to replace boot on new drive

Otter
11-19-2004, 10:19 AM

If the MOBO supports RAID 1 it will copy the master boot record. If you can find that out Fat E RAID is pretty easy to setup.

Undertaker #59
11-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Hmm, (this sounds feasible, but something doesn't seem quite right). Can you:
A. Install new drive as master
B. Create a system restore point
C. Copy files over to new drive
D. Remove old drive
E. Use system restore to replace boot on new drive

No...Ghost copies the MBR and everything - even on a different size drive. I do it at work everyday. Install the new drive as Master. Boot to your new bootable floppy with ghost. Make sure you copy drive 2 to drive 1. Remove original drive and you are done. You don't need to do anything with system restore points.

Of course, to be perfectly safe, you should back up everything first....but everything should be fine - just make sure you don't screw up which drive is the source and which is the destination.

Undertaker #59
11-19-2004, 10:23 AM
If the MOBO supports RAID 1 it will copy the master boot record. If you can find that out Fat E RAID is pretty easy to setup.

Of course if it has RAID then yeah that would be fine. I was assuming it did not.

KCTitus
11-19-2004, 10:24 AM

Why would you want to copy that? I would start with a clean drive and clean install of the OS. Im assuming we're talking Windows, here...

If that's not what you want to do, disregard my advice, because I wouldnt attempt to ghost a bad HD to begin with.

Uncle Jesse
11-19-2004, 10:24 AM
Why worry about the MBR?

Install a new drive with a clean OS on it, transfer the files and forget about the old drive.

Apps will need to be re-installed, but I'm assuming this is a home PC and that this isnt that big of a deal.

Uncle Jesse
11-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Why would you want to copy that? I would start with a clean drive and clean install of the OS. Im assuming we're talking Windows, here...

If that's not what you want to do, disregard my advice, because I wouldnt attempt to ghost a bad HD to begin with.

damnit titus you beat me to it!!!

KCTitus
11-19-2004, 10:27 AM
damnit titus you beat me to it!!!

I think that may be the first recorded "dammit titus"...now I know why Carl likes it when people say it.

:D

Undertaker #59
11-19-2004, 10:31 AM
That's an option too. I was just trying to answer his question as it was posed.

Lzen
11-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Forget what all these so-called "experts" told you. Here's what I would recommend. Find a really tall building. Then, go all the way up to the roof and throw your computer off the edge. It would be even better if you did this in Oakland or Denver. ;)

Fat Elvis
11-19-2004, 12:12 PM
I was wanting to Ghost the drive to a new hard drive because I have Office 2000 on my current drive, but don't have a disk for it. I didn't want to lose my Office apps.

The problem I'm having is just getting Ghost to install without all the other Norton stuff installing as well.

KCWolfman
11-19-2004, 12:13 PM
I was wanting to Ghost the drive to a new hard drive because I have Office 2000 on my current drive, but don't have a disk for it. I didn't want to lose my Office apps.

The problem I'm having is just getting Ghost to install without all the other Norton stuff installing as well.
Why don't you install ghost and all other data then remove ghost and norton after you copy?

Fat Elvis
11-19-2004, 02:57 PM
Why don't you install ghost and all other data then remove ghost and norton after you copy?

I can't get ghost to install by itself, that is the problem. Anyone know how to just get ghost installed?

KCWolfman
11-19-2004, 02:59 PM
I can't get ghost to install by itself, that is the problem. Anyone know how to just get ghost installed?
You misunderstood. Install all of the program in its entirety including Norton. Then after you have moved the data over, remove the entire program, Ghost and norton.

Fat Elvis
11-19-2004, 03:19 PM
You misunderstood. Install all of the program in its entirety including Norton. Then after you have moved the data over, remove the entire program, Ghost and norton.

The only problem with that is that I'd have to uninstall my anti-virus (Norton said so) and I don't have a copy of my anti-virus to install back over it again.