PDA

View Full Version : What if Carl hadn't promised a Superbowl?

cash1000
11-19-2004, 10:24 AM
What would be your feeling about Carl's tenure in KC? He probably wouldn't be recieving 80% of the ridicule he's recieving. His 15 year run would be looked on as being successful even though he didn't get to the big dance. Chiefs fans would look on him with appreciation for bringing a winner here and give him a fond farewell at the end of his tenure. What am I trying to say he ruined a good thing by overselling his product and scamming the fans with overhype!

jcroft
11-19-2004, 10:32 AM
BS. His goal should be to win a Superbowl whether he says it publicly or not. If someone is here from 15 years and doesn't get us "over the hump," people are going to question them, no matter what. End of story.

shakesthecat
11-19-2004, 10:41 AM
What else would you expect a new GM to say?

Uncle Jesse
11-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Look on him with appreciation???

You gotta be kidding me man....promise or no promise

his record as GM doesn't earn him a "fond farewell"

Logical
11-19-2004, 10:47 AM
What would be your feeling about Carl's tenure in KC? He probably wouldn't be recieving 80% of the ridicule he's recieving. His 15 year run would be looked on as being successful even though he didn't get to the big dance. Chiefs fans would look on him with appreciation for bringing a winner here and give him a fond farewell at the end of his tenure. What am I trying to say he ruined a good thing by overselling his product and scamming the fans with overhype!

This is not Wal-mart, the goal is not just profits. As a business he has been able to generate a success. As a sports franchise he has created a SPECTACULAR failure. In that the team on occasion has made a spectacle of its ability to lose when it counts.

Uncle Jesse
11-19-2004, 10:51 AM
And why would we credit him for "bringing a winner here"?

He didn't bring the Chiefs here

Uncle Jesse
11-19-2004, 10:55 AM
The more I think about Carl, I've come to the conclusion that I would like to see him stand on the arrowhead logo at the 50 yd line, and have Jason Dunn start at the goal line, fire out in a full on sprint and hit Peterson at full speed. helmet to head contact.

There I feel better now

Otter
11-19-2004, 10:57 AM
What Jeff and Jim said.

ChiTown
11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
What if Spartacus flew a Piper Cub? Think about it.....

Ozarks-Chiefs-Fan
11-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Heard the other day Carl is going to be inducted into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame in Fegruary.

I think Carl has done some good things for this franchise, but nothing spectacular.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2004, 11:22 AM
He hired Marty.

Marty had winning seasons.

Prior to Carl/Marty was the eighties....

dont forget that the entire landscape of the NFL changed at the very same time. All the "plan B" free agency etc... most of the tools of NFL parity where started at the same time.

carl gets credit for the good as well as the bad ... but the financial restructuring of the NFL sure had alot to do with it too.

beavis
11-19-2004, 11:39 AM
You either win it all, or you don't. 31 teams will end this season losers.

How could you be satisfied with not winning it all?

(I think I am channeling John Madden with this post)

KCWolfman
11-19-2004, 12:37 PM
This is not Wal-mart, the goal is not just profits. As a business he has been able to generate a success. As a sports franchise he has created a SPECTACULAR failure. In that the team on occasion has made a spectacle of its ability to lose when it counts.
Naw, he has brought an exciting team to a market that suffered horribly for 20 years prior to his tenure. I have loved watching the Chiefs during Peterson's time here more than any other. However, I think he has obviously achieved all he can with this franchise. It is time to consider new blood as he does not have the ability to bring in people to get us over that first hump.

Dartgod
11-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Did he ever "promise" a Super Bowl? Or did he just say that his <insert number of years>-year plan was to reach the Super Bowl. I don't recall...

Taco John
11-19-2004, 12:58 PM

What are you? Rufus Dawes?

I'll give Carl Peterson a fond farewell, because as a Broncos fan, I am very fond of the fact that he mired the Chiefs in mediocrity. I wish he'd be there for another 15 years. Having average guys running the Chiefs general management has been a real blessing for us Broncos fans.

Dartgod
11-19-2004, 01:04 PM
What are you? Rufus Dawes?

I'll give Carl Peterson a fond farewell, because as a Broncos fan, I am very fond of the fact that he mired the Chiefs in mediocrity. I wish he'd be there for another 15 years. Having average guys running the Chiefs general management has been a real blessing for us Broncos fans.
See, that's how we feel about Mike Shanahan and the Broncos since Elway retired.