PDA

View Full Version : Computer Nerds: MSI MEGA PC...

Vegas_Dave
11-20-2004, 01:51 AM
So for my step fathers christmas present, my mother and I wanted to get him a new computer. He has been using a 500mhz AMD K6-2 for WAY too long.

Also, he has a small desk and he really likes "cool" things. So I figured why not build him one of the MSI MEGA PC systems. SFF (small form factor) systems are pretty cool and frankly the new MSI Mega's are the coolest.

Heres a picture of what these look like if you arent familiar
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/mega/mega180_large.jpg

so anyways, I just finished building the following system based on this:

MSI MEGA PC 180 with built in WiFi
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton core, .013nm and 512kb L2 cache)
512MB OCZ Performance Memory
80GB WD quiet HDD 8mb buffer
Double Layer NEC DVD-/+RW
15" LCD Monitor
Wireless KeyBoard and Mouse
Win XP Home SP2

All I can say is wow. What a great little system. EASY as snot to build and a very powerful package for overall a reasonable price (total delivered was like $885.00

VERY quick. VERY powerful. VERY quiet.

One of the things I was very concerned about was heat. with something this small and compact, this can be a very big problem. Thats one of the reasons I selected the CPU i did. this is the slowest of the Barton .013nm athlons on the market.

I have been running it under Full Load for the past hour and the CPU has not gone above 46 C and at 39C idle. My athlon 64 isnt even that cool.

the ONLY downside to this system is the graphics. It comes with nVidia GeForce 440mx built in. this is decent enough for standard aps, all 2D and some 3D gaming. there is a x8 AGP slot in there for a better card. However, because of case design and fan circulation, you cannot use a larger graphics card otherwise it will build up heat real quick.

Other then that, great system.

ZootedGranny
11-20-2004, 01:58 AM
The small form factor cases are so kick ass, I've been trying to think of an excuse to use one. I might try to throw together one for a HTPC.

I had been looking at several Shuttle cases, but that MSI looks utterly insane.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Link?

Vegas_Dave
11-20-2004, 02:08 AM
Link?

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=MEGA_180&class=mega

It is sweet. I have been jones's to build one of these for awhile and glad that I did.

It has a built in HiFi system as well. Built in FM/AM receiver. the HiFi can be used independantly without turning on the computer part of the system. it can use the CD rom as well and will read MP3's on a disk in hifi mode as well.

5.1 surround. You can plug in a TV/Capture card and with Double layer DVD burner (like only $45 now) you can plug this in to your computer and use it as a DVR and a DVD recorder as well.

As I said earlier, sweet little system.

can be a little tempormental. I out of habit changed the jumper on the HDD to Master instead of Cable select. That reeked havoc on the system. Once I put that back in place, wham, everything fell right into place.

Hammock Parties
11-20-2004, 02:17 AM
There's no way to put in a beefier video card, huh?

Vegas_Dave
11-20-2004, 12:23 PM
There's no way to put in a beefier video card, huh?

Sure you can. You just cant put one of the HUGE honkin cards in. Reason being is that the top end video cards are always larger then every other card. If you put one of those types in, it will act like a Wall inside and heat will build up causing the system to hang up (according to reviews I read at Tomshardware.com)

I believe they put a ATI 9600 in there (a little smaller since it isnt the top model now) and it worked fine.