PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Game / KC Playoff's Chances / AFC Overview

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Tonight's game should be a very interesting matchup. The Chiefs record, obviously, does not reflect how scary they are on offense. The battle between the Chiefs offense and the Pats defense should be very interesting indeed to see.

The Steelers' offensive line blew the Pats defense away, of course, but alot of the problems there were more technique than anything else and (according to Patriots coaches' quotes lately) correctable. The Chiefs offensive line is at least as good if not better than the Steelers, so if nothing else we'll see if our defense is able to deal well with an outstanding offensive line.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Chiefs are just playing for pride. As other threads have noted, victories yesterday by the Jets, Ravens, Colts, Broncos, Chargers and Steelers have sealed the deal for the Chiefs in terms of making the playoffs. 10-6 is the best the Chiefs can do, against a pretty tough schedule, and 10 wins won't get them a wildcard in the mighty AFC. The AFC West is also not likely to be winnable given that the Chiefs are pretty far behind not one, but two teams.

The AFC's domination of the NFC continued yesterday, and it's beyond clear that the balance of power that used to favor the NFC in the 80s, etc. is now clearly with the AFC. The Rams have 5 losses, 3 of which are to AFC East teams (including the cellar dwelling Dolphins and Bills). The Iggles were utterly crushed by the Steelers for their only loss, and squeaked by the Ravens by a 15-10 score, at home. The Colts only losses have come to AFC Teams, while they have beaten all of their NFC opponents, which includes the best the NFC North has to offer (Green Bay and Minnesota). The Patriots have steamrolled St. Louis and Seattle, beat Arizona in AZ comfortably, and have only the Niners left to play. Pittsburgh's only loss, of course, came to division rival Baltimore.

The AFC wildcard will require at least 11 wins to achieve, and the battle to go to the Super Bowl from the AFC will be extremely intense. I have little doubt that whoever wins the AFC Championship game will win the Super Bowl.

BigRedChief
11-22-2004, 07:58 AM
I don't know that Philly teams looks pretty tough right now. TO is in a zone. The QB can run around for 14 seconds and wait for a player to get open. They ain't gonna be a push over. They have been to the NFC championship 3 straight years. Maybe TO puts them over the top?

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 08:00 AM
I don't know that Philly teams looks pretty tough right now. TO is in a zone. The QB can run around for 14 seconds and wait for a player to get open. They ain't gonna be a push over. They have been to the NFC championship 3 straight years. Maybe TO puts them over the top?

I'd agree, but (1) the top AFC Teams (Pittsburgh and NE, IMHO) have good defenses, and more importantly, all the very good AFC teams have strong running games, and the Iggles run defense is horrendous.

IMHO the Iggles get to the SB, but don't take home the prize.

Mile High Mania
11-22-2004, 08:12 AM
It pains you to list the Steelers up there with the Pats, doesn't it.... I can sense it. :p

StcChief
11-22-2004, 08:16 AM
I agree...

Unfortunately, it looks like the Chiefs are just playing for pride. This is our superbowl this year.
I look for NE or Pitt to take the superbowl easily.

The AFC championship will be the best game in the playoffs.

The AFC is the toughest conference now without a doubt top to bottom.

Tonight.....
As long as the Chiefs don't get stomped I'll be happy. This Jeykle and Hyde team especially on D, has sealed our playoff chances and even being a wildcard why bother now. Lets go for some good D picks/trade for next year.

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2004, 08:19 AM
There ain't a chance in Hades that we make the playoffs this year. Even the most optimistic Chieftain has to admit that it is nearly impossible (read: ME)

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
It pains you to list the Steelers up there with the Pats, doesn't it.... I can sense it. :p

Nah. Seriously. I lived in Pittsburgh for almost 2 years, and the fans there are passionate. I loved the battles we had in the mid 90s (some good games there, with the Pittsburgh beating us twice (once regular season, once playoffs) in very memorable, hardfought games in 1997.

I don't hate 'em. But I'd LOVE a rematch in the AFC Championship Game. Frankly, they pounded us into the dirt a few weeks ago, and I'd like payback for that. But if they go to the SB, they will be more than worthy.

The Donks and Faiders are the only non-AFC East teams I can say I seriously dislike... :):p

CHIEF4EVER
11-22-2004, 08:26 AM
The Donks and Faiders are the only non-AFC East teams I can say I seriously dislike...

You are among the blessed......:grovel:

Mile High Mania
11-22-2004, 08:27 AM
Nah. Seriously. I lived in Pittsburgh for almost 2 years, and the fans there are passionate. I loved the battles we had in the mid 90s (some good games there, with the Pittsburgh beating us twice (once regular season, once playoffs) in very memorable, hardfought games in 1997.

I don't hate 'em. But I'd LOVE a rematch in the AFC Championship Game. Frankly, they pounded us into the dirt a few weeks ago, and I'd like payback for that. But if they go to the SB, they will be more than worthy.

The Donks and Faiders are the only non-AFC East teams I can say I seriously dislike... :):p

I hear ya - I'd like to see DEN/NE in the playoffs, simply b/c DEN was so close to beating them last year. The AFC is a tough one this year. I have to say that I am a bit in awe at what the Steelers have done with Big Ben at QB. It's very impressive.

BigRedChief
11-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey we put 50+ points up on a good Atlanta team. We made Ray Ray look foolish. Maybe lightening can strike 3 times this season. Arrowhead will be a rocking no matter what. Gonna be fun.

Mile High Mania
11-22-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey we put 50+ points up on a good Atlanta team. We made Ray Ray look foolish. Maybe lightening can strike 3 times this season. Arrowhead will be a rocking no matter what. Gonna be fun.

That is exactly why a KC win would not shock me... KC has been a weird team this season to say the least.

KCTitus
11-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Here's my breakdown/analysis of the game tonight...

Tonight KC will play NE in Arrowhead and has a chance to win.

That's the way I see it.

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 08:37 AM

That's the way I see it.

You better hope your boys can run on my boys, or I'll be calling you out after our discussion of last week... :):p

KCTitus
11-22-2004, 08:39 AM
You better hope your boys can run on my boys, or I'll be calling you out after our discussion of last week... :):p

Fine, but with Holmes out, it changes the dynamic.

InChiefsHeaven
11-22-2004, 08:43 AM

That's the way I see it.
Wow!! Way to go out on a limb!!
:clap:

Way I see it, Chiefs win, cuz they shouldn't. I've said it before, we'll beat the Pats and the Donks, sweep the Raiders and probably split with the Chargers. We need to beat the Titans away in December to go 9-7 and at least have a winning season.

On a side note, I don't care about draft picks, we haven't had a good one since Gonzo. I'm rooting for my Chiefs to win, as always. Anyone who doesn't isn't really a fan, IMO...

Mr. Kotter
11-22-2004, 08:49 AM
KC 34, NE 27

Chief's will win 6 in a row, before losing to SD the last game of the year, to finish 9-7 and out of the playoffs.

Steelers vs. Patriots for NFC Championship; Steelers vs. Eagles in Superbowl....Eagles win their first Superbowl.

How's that? :)

KCTitus
11-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Wow!! Way to go out on a limb!!

Someone had to do it...I would have had more if I had broken down game film from last week, but I started on a 12 pack and lost interest.

Eleazar
11-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Just be here tomorrow to take your lumps bitch :p :# :# :cuss:

cdcox
11-22-2004, 08:57 AM
You guys are WAAYYYYYY under estimating the Chiefs wild-card chances IF we go 10-6. We would hold tiebreaker advantages over all other WC teams at 10-6 except Jacksonville since we lost to them straight up. There is a chance that all the wild card teams will have records of 11-5 or better, but that is pretty unlikely too. Some teams are going to drop some games that they "should" win. It happens every year.

In summary, IF we go 10-6 we have a 53% chance of winning the division. IF we go 10-6 and don't win the division, we have a 62% chance of making a wild card. Overall odds of making the playoffs are 82%.

The problem is there is NO WAY, ZERO chance that this team will win the rest of their games. I'm an OFFICIAL doubter.

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Fine, but with Holmes out, it changes the dynamic.

Excuses, excuses. I've got BOTH starting cornerbacks out (including Ty Law, who is excellent in run support for a CB), so playing tight man coverage while having 8 in the box to stop the run game isn't a very appealing option.

I agree that Holmes/Blaylock is a bigger swing in your run game than Law/Samuel is to our run defense, but if you guys can run for Blaylock can run for 185 against whomever it was, he doesn't suck.

KCTitus
11-22-2004, 09:06 AM
Excuses, excuses. I've got BOTH starting cornerbacks out (including Ty Law, who is excellent in run support for a CB), so playing tight man coverage while having 8 in the box to stop the run game isn't a very appealing option.

I agree that Holmes/Blaylock is a bigger swing in your run game than Law/Samuel is to our run defense, but if you guys can run for Blaylock can run for 185 against whomever it was, he doesn't suck.

Im not making excuses and NO is not NE.

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Just be here tomorrow to take your lumps bitch :p :# :# :cuss:
How could I miss crowing about the thrashing you're about to receive?

'course if I really wanted to be mean I'd point out that win or lose, the Pats are 99% likely to go to the playoffs, while win or lose, the Chiefs are 99% unlikely to go, but that's just not nice.

:p:p

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 09:14 AM
You guys are WAAYYYYYY under estimating the Chiefs wild-card chances IF we go 10-6. We would hold tiebreaker advantages over all other WC teams at 10-6 except Jacksonville since we lost to them straight up. There is a chance that all the wild card teams will have records of 11-5 or better, but that is pretty unlikely too. Some teams are going to drop some games that they "should" win. It happens every year.

In summary, IF we go 10-6 we have a 53% chance of winning the division. IF we go 10-6 and don't win the division, we have a 62% chance of making a wild card. Overall odds of making the playoffs are 82%.

The problem is there is NO WAY, ZERO chance that this team will win the rest of their games. I'm an OFFICIAL doubter.

The last sentence there is the key one. You've got 7 games left, 3 of which are on the road. You have NE (8-1), Dungver (7-3), SD (x2)(7-3) and Tits at Titland (not as good as last year but no easy win). I just don't see you running that table.

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Im not making excuses and NO is not NE.

I thought NE was not KC? :):p

Rain Man
11-22-2004, 09:16 AM
I have this feeling that the Chiefs will so utterly destroy the Patriots that their franchise will fold. That will move the Jets up to that playoff spot, thereby opening up another wild card slot that will be reserved for the Chiefs via a special league vote that will state that the Chiefs are simply too good to be denied the playoffs.

It's just a hunch right now, though.

Eleazar
11-22-2004, 09:19 AM

'course if I really wanted to be mean I'd point out that win or lose, the Pats are 99% likely to go to the playoffs, while win or lose, the Chiefs are 99% unlikely to go, but that's just not nice.

Quit trying to change the subject :cuss: :cuss: :bang:

Mile High Mania
11-22-2004, 09:20 AM
I would proudly support a KC win tonight... for many reasons. It would help DEN in their quest for better positioning in the playoffs, should they advance. And, it would pump up the spirit of this board... this place sucks when you guys are down and out.

ROYC75
11-22-2004, 09:23 AM
I would proudly support a KC win tonight... for many reasons. It would help DEN in their quest for better positioning in the playoffs, should they advance. And, it would pump up the spirit of this board... this place sucks when you guys are down and out.

:banghead: Losing loves misery .... Our rivals love it. Merry X-mas Brad ! :p

ROYC75
11-22-2004, 09:24 AM
The last sentence there is the key one. You've got 7 games left, 3 of which are on the road. You have NE (8-1), Dungver (7-3), SD (x2)(7-3) and Tits at Titland (not as good as last year but no easy win). I just don't see you running that table.

Makes 2 of us.

KCTitus
11-22-2004, 09:28 AM
And, it would pump up the spirit of this board... this place sucks when you guys are down and out.

What are you talking about? It's been like a little family reunion with the fans that enjoy it when the team loses suddenly found their keyboards again.

Hoover
11-22-2004, 09:40 AM
I think the NFC has 2 solid teams that I would worry about: Philly and Minnesota.

Philly is by far the best team in the NFC. They have a great DC, and McNabb to Owens in amazing.

Minn is much better than they were last year. They are hurt by not having Moss for the past 4 games. If they can get him back, and get one of their back in the grove (Bennett or Smith) watch out for that offense. Their D is much better than last year as well.

I'm not sold on the Steelers with a rookie QB winning it all. I also worry about the Pats because the have banged up DBs.

I would love to see an Indy vs Philly SB

the Talking Can
11-22-2004, 09:43 AM
its going to be ugly tonight....ugly

Rain Man
11-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Oh, I don't know. I think that Patriots are good enough to make a game out of it.

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Oh, I don't know. I think that Patriots are good enough to make a game out of it.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Considering (a) what you guys did to the Falcons, and (b) what the Steelers did to us, a blowout in your favor is not beyond the realm of possibility.

I'd be damned surprised though....

cadmonkey
11-22-2004, 09:57 AM

God Amno, I can see the set up for our heads to be rolling tomorrow with the amount of sh*t talking you are doing. If we don't win this game :shake:

Rain Man
11-22-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm just hoping the Chiefs fans don't all leave in the third quarter. Once we start our mop-up activities, it will be good for Larry Johnson to play in front of a full stadium.

DenverChief
11-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Watch out for Sandy Eggo, I think they will suprise a lot of teams, they seem to be flying under the radar even though they are playing far above expectations

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 10:08 AM
God Amno, I can see the set up for our heads to be rolling tomorrow with the amount of sh*t talking you are doing. If we don't win this game :shake:

GO FORTH, UNBELIEVER, AND LEAVE THIS PLACE FOR ALL ETERNITY. THOU ART NOT FIT FOR THE HOLY BANDWAGON!!!

:p:p:p

KCTitus
11-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Be careful, Amnorix...according to the founding charter of this BB, only Bronco homerism is sanctioned and permitted on this, a Chiefs fan BB.

Homerism from all other teams is summarily dismissed and can be a bannable offense.

cadmonkey
11-22-2004, 10:24 AM
GO FORTH, UNBELIEVER, AND LEAVE THIS PLACE FOR ALL ETERNITY. THOU ART NOT FIT FOR THE HOLY BANDWAGON!!!

:p:p:p

Christ, I feel like I was just spoken to by god.....big bold words scare me :deevee:

cadmonkey
11-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Be careful, Amnorix...according to the founding charter of this BB, only Bronco homerism is sanctioned and permitted on this, a Chiefs fan BB.

Homerism from all other teams is summarily dismissed and can be a bannable offense.

Well that is awfully disrepectful. At least we know what we are talking about. Donks homers are, well..........donks fans after all.

Straight, No Chaser
11-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah Dee Blah.

You feelin' it? ;)

Results yesterday indicat a win-win tonight no matter what happens. You could own up and just say you're glad the Pats won't be facing the Chiefs in the playoffs...

--->

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 10:29 AM

I think I'm safe. I'm not much of a homer. I've already stated several times in various threads that KC's offense is scary, that they can beat anybody in any given week, that they could potentially (albeit unlikely) dominate us given what the Steelers did to us and what you guys did to Atlanta, etc. etc.

But I do think we'll win in a tight, relatively high scoring game. 31-24, 34-31, something like that.

Otter
11-22-2004, 10:32 AM
its going to be ugly tonight....ugly

Oh, I don't know. The Chiefs seem to have some kind of retard strenght. Except it comes out when they least need it instead of when their in some kind of danger. (ie. playoffs)

I'm pretty pumped for tonights game actually. I've given up my Sudays to fly fishing since their out of the playoffs.

THAT'S RIGHT PEOPLE - THE CHIEFS ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS.

Sombody hug me and remind me I'm a real fan.

DenverChief
11-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Oh, I don't know. The Chiefs seem to have some kind of retard strenght. Except it comes out when they least need it instead of when their in some kind of danger. (ie. playoffs)

I'm pretty pumped for tonights game actually. I've given up my Sudays to fly fishing since their out of the playoffs.

THAT'S RIGHT PEOPLE - THE CHIEFS ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS.

Sombody hug me and remind me I'm a real fan. :whip: grob

King_Chief_Fan
11-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Tonight's game should be a very interesting matchup. The Chiefs record, obviously, does not reflect how scary they are on offense. The battle between the Chiefs offense and the Pats defense should be very interesting indeed to see.

The Steelers' offensive line blew the Pats defense away, of course, but alot of the problems there were more technique than anything else and (according to Patriots coaches' quotes lately) correctable. The Chiefs offensive line is at least as good if not better than the Steelers, so if nothing else we'll see if our defense is able to deal well with an outstanding offensive line.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Chiefs are just playing for pride. As other threads have noted, victories yesterday by the Jets, Ravens, Colts, Broncos * (* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons), Chargers and Steelers have sealed the deal for the Chiefs in terms of making the playoffs. 10-6 is the best the Chiefs can do, against a pretty tough schedule, and 10 wins won't get them a wildcard in the mighty AFC. The AFC West is also not likely to be winnable given that the Chiefs are pretty far behind not one, but two teams.

The AFC's domination of the NFC continued yesterday, and it's beyond clear that the balance of power that used to favor the NFC in the 80s, etc. is now clearly with the AFC. The Rams have 5 losses, 3 of which are to AFC East teams (including the cellar dwelling Dolphins and Bills). The Iggles were utterly crushed by the Steelers for their only loss, and squeaked by the Ravens by a 15-10 score, at home. The Colts only losses have come to AFC Teams, while they have beaten all of their NFC opponents, which includes the best the NFC North has to offer (Green Bay and Minnesota). The Patriots have steamrolled St. Louis and Seattle, beat Arizona in AZ comfortably, and have only the Niners left to play. Pittsburgh's only loss, of course, came to division rival Baltimore.

The AFC wildcard will require at least 11 wins to achieve, and the battle to go to the Super Bowl from the AFC will be extremely intense. I have little doubt that whoever wins the AFC Championship game will win the Super Bowl.

sounds right........good luck to you

ARROW2
11-22-2004, 02:01 PM
If K.C. runs the table, they will make the playoffs. Big IF. What works in their favor is just 3 AFC losses. Check out all of the other AFC contenders AFC losses and you will see what I mean. I am surprised this is lost on most posters here.