PDA

View Full Version : Is coaching overrated in the NFL?

suds79
11-22-2004, 04:33 PM
With the realization that has come about this year in how bad our defensive players are, and how apparently nobody can help them, it got me thinking.

Is coaching overrated as far as the Xs & Os go? Does the success of a coach simply lie in his ability to evaluate talent?

Let’s look around the league.

Take for example the best offenses in the league and their OCs. (NFL.com yardage)

1 – Chiefs: Al Saunders
2 – Colts: Tom Moore
3 – Packers: Tom Rossley
4 – Vikings: Scott Linehan (sure seems to have picked up where Brian Billick left off)

So is it players or coaches?

Chiefs – Holmes, Green, Gonzalez, T-Rich, O-line.
Colts – Manning, James, Harrison, Wayne, O-line (doesn’t give up sacks)
Packers – Favre, Green, O-line, Walker & Driver (far better WRs than what we have)
Vickings – Culpepper, Moss, O-line, Robinson

See a theme here? All these teams have all-star lineups. Tell me what OC couldn’t win with Peyton Manning as his QB?

So are they great coaches or just part of staffs that have done very well in identifying talent?

How about the top Defenses and their DCs? (NFL.com yardage)

1 – Steelers: Dick Lebeau
2 – Redskins: Greg Blache
3 – Ravens: Mike Nolan (sure seems to have picked up where Marvin Lewis left off)
4 – Bills: Jerry Gray

Again. Players or coaches?

Steelers – Porter, Hampton, Bell, Polamalu. (they have great depth because they’ve had injuries)
Redskins – Springs, Smoot, Taylor, Arrington (injured).
Ravens – Lewis, Suggs, McAllister, Reed. (they should be higher IMO)
Bills – Vincent, Clements, Williams, Adams, Fletcher, Spikes.

Thoughts? Is coaching overrated in the NFL?

Mr. Kotter
11-22-2004, 04:33 PM
No.

Amnorix
11-22-2004, 04:36 PM
No.

What he said.

Baby Lee
11-22-2004, 04:37 PM
In the age of parity, two things make the difference. Coaching [that's from the strength trainers to the position coaches to the HC], and scouting. The best team in the league [we'll see them tonight] has no standout position players. The next best [Steelers] is relying on scheme and a rookie QB with a mind for the game. The surprise of the season [Chargers] has a personnel lineup universally disregarded by the league.

suds79
11-22-2004, 04:39 PM
What he said.

Yes. Yes. This is exactly the in depth conversation I was trying to stir up here.

:shake:

It's okay to elaborate a little if you guys want. Problem is that generally requires for someone to read the original post.

foxman
11-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Part of coaching is evaluating talent. Who in the world would have guessed that Terrell Davis would rush for 2K coming out. Tom Brady was who in college? Todd Blackledge was....a bust. It doesnt begin and end with talent evalutation...well maybe it begins with talent evalutaion, but a coach also has to be able to have trust, respect and bring something to the table like credability or at least a damn good game plan that works if it utilized properly. From that comes more and more of the positive stuff like trust and respect. Success breeds success.

I don't think coaching is overated. The best coaches have always had success regardless of the team or city he was at. IE: Parcells, sure this year he is struggeling, but look at what he has done. Giants, New England, the Jets and Dallas were all struggeling to a certain degree and all were either champions or on the verge of it to some degree in a fairly short period of time.

Ask a Jet fan if he thinks coaching makes a differance or is overated. Geez look at some of the coaches they have had over time and the differance they have made.

JakeT
11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Chiefs + Bono = 13 wins.

That my friend is coaching

FloridaMan88
11-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Coaching is important, but when you have the least talented defense in the league, God could be your defensive coordinator and you'd still stink.

Eventually it comes back to talent

Pats Fan
11-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Drafting or getting the right players for your team is number one. Coaching and finding the way to motivate and select your top talent is number two. The players (yes you have to have talent in this league) is last. But then if you have the right GM, and the right coaches, you have the last item -- the players. The Pats are doing so well because they understand this concept very clearly. Coaching underrated -- NOT -- the Pats would never be where they are without Belichick. One of the masterminds in the league. Coaching overrated. You have got to be joking!!!!!!!!!!

suds79
11-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Drafting or getting the right players for your team is number one. Coaching and finding the way to motivate and select your top talent is number two. The players (yes you have to have talent in this league) is last. But then if you have the right GM, and the right coaches, you have the last item -- the players. The Pats are doing so well because they understand this concept very clearly. Coaching underrated -- NOT -- the Pats would never be where they are without Belichick. One of the masterminds in the league. Coaching overrated. You have got to be joking!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I should of been more clear in my orginal post asking if the Xs & Os in coaching is overrated.

I mean if I could have a Bill Belichick, who seems to never miss on his defensive talent, yeah I'd be thrilled because he's a great coach.

But what aspect makes him great? Is it his Xs & Os? Or is it that he knows guys who can play D when he sees them?

Just a note: The Pats D stastically isn't as strong this year after losing manchild Ted Washington. Is that player the differece? Maybe... And maybe not. It just seems like whereever he's played, teams just can't run on him because he's to big to move.

foxman
11-22-2004, 06:23 PM
It just seems like whereever he's played, teams just can't run on him because he's to big to move.

He is in Oaktown is he not???

Pats Fan
11-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Good question. But the bottom line is, if you have the prior three items I discussed, you already have the players that can execute the play called. That's where you get into your OC and DC coaches. Do they make a difference. Absolutely. Call the plays that fit the team you are playing and your players talents. Absolutely. Coaching is never, ever overrated. Period. X and O's are important. VERY.

Pats Fan
11-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Oh, and it is because he can see a good defensive guy or is it because he knows his X's and O's. I would say both. Absolutely both. If the guy doesn't know football, how can he select or know talent. Both go together.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2004, 06:49 PM
nope.. actually think coaching may be underrated

they know how to teach players, how to use players, how to blend players

i think in the current age of parity in the NFL it's all about coaching

btw (good head coaches also now how to pick guys that will fit their team and systems)

MichaelH
11-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Chiefs + Bono = 13 wins.

It's also a product of a top 5 defense.

Rausch
11-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Chiefs + Bono = 13 wins.

That, my friends, is Vanover and a great defense...

conchshell
11-22-2004, 07:21 PM
just a note, packers have been winning the last 4+ games when Mike Sherman is calling the offense

JakeT
11-23-2004, 09:35 AM
The top 5 defense and Tamarik SmokeOver helped. But the defense probably wouldn't have been top 5 if weren't a run first ball control offense. Had another Coach tried to get Bono, Lake Dawson, JJ Birden to light up the sky. We would have been 3-13. Marty accomplished a lot with limited talent teams. He knew what his players were capable of and designed a game plan They could execute. Granted to get to the next level you need the talent. But coaching is very important