PDA

View Full Version : Blaylock

el borracho
11-22-2004, 11:14 PM
I'm not blaming Blaylock for the loss, just curious. Everyone still high on Blaylock?

Demonpenz
11-22-2004, 11:15 PM
He was still alright. After reviewing the tape, there wasn't much there on any of the plays. I don't see any gaping holes he was missing.

BigVE
11-22-2004, 11:16 PM
OF COURSE! I dont think Priest would have had much more room to run either...no place to run no matter WHO was back there with the ball. SURE AS HELL better than LJ back there.

ROYC75
11-22-2004, 11:16 PM
I said last week that I think it had more to do with New Orleans than Blaylock.

But that's just me.

suds79
11-22-2004, 11:17 PM
There wasn't a lot I could say after last week but I've always felt that I just don't want him as our starting HB.

He's GREAT as a backup and change-of-pace guy. But I don't like him as a starter.

Valiant
11-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Blaylock should add about 10-15 lbs of muscle in the offseason... If he does he will be a bigger force to push the piles, hopefully for our team...

Rausch
If Holmes is healthy of course I don't want him starting.

But if Holmes is out I want him over LJ....Easy...

Demonpenz
Larry Johnson played well

Rausch
11-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Blaylock should add about 10-15 lbs of muscle in the offseason... If he does he will be a bigger force to push the piles, hopefully for our team...

Holmes isn't exactly a banger himself....

suds79
11-22-2004, 11:21 PM

The guy has got to be maxed out as it is.

He's bulked up just to get to 210. His body type just isn't a 215 or 220 pounder.

To me it just sounds like you want a different RB in there... Hey, I do to.

2bikemike
11-22-2004, 11:23 PM
I will have to review this game on the DVR but I don't believe that our O-line opened the holes for Blaylock like they have in the past. I don't know if thats a credit to NE or if our O-line failed.

I disagree with the fat bastard Madden I think Blaylock has shown a lot of patience running the ball.

Rausch
11-22-2004, 11:26 PM
I will have to review this game on the DVR but I don't believe that our O-line opened the holes for Blaylock like they have in the past. I don't know if thats a credit to NE or if our O-line failed.

Agreed. The run blocking this game was horrid....

the Talking Can
11-22-2004, 11:30 PM
I said last week that I think it had more to do with New Orleans than Blaylock.

But that's just me.

yup

SPchief
11-22-2004, 11:38 PM
There was absolutly no room for blaylock to run. Give credit to NE def. line because there were no holes at all

Hog Rider
11-22-2004, 11:41 PM
He didn't fumble! That's a good thing! Right?

ROYC75
11-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Again I said last week it was more New Orleans than Blaylock. His short goal line performance was horrid.

It appeared last night he wasn't hitting the holes as fast, was his knee still bothering him some ? I duuno.

Again, his short yardage performance was horrid.

I'm not at all sold he can be a starter.

2nd straight week LJ never saw the field, what does this tell ya about the feelings of the coaching staff.

Predarat
11-23-2004, 10:58 AM
I am less convinced about him but not ready to put in Diaper Boy yet.

Bob Dole
11-23-2004, 11:00 AM
It appeared last night he wasn't hitting the holes as fast, was his knee still bothering him some ? I duuno.

What holes?

There weren't any ****ing holes to hit.

gblowfish
11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Blaylock is a very good #2 back. I don't think he's got the chops to be a full time feature back, but excellent as a back up. I think we need to use the remainder of this train wreck season to play Leon just to see what we've got. You can let a first rounder at a skill position rot on the bench. That's just stupid. And if they're not going to run the guy, make him play special teams just to get his butt on the field.

We outta get Kris Wilson and Sammie Parker into the mix as soon as possible too, so we can evaluate. If the season is going to be a waste for 2004, let's use the time we've got left to make some informed decisions for 2005.

Plus, if Leon gets his ass lit up like in the Tampa Bay game, it'll be entertaining banter on CP. Dontcha Think?

Coogs
11-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Again I said last week it was more New Orleans than Blaylock. His short goal line performance was horrid.

Again, his short yardage performance was horrid.

I'm not at all sold he can be a starter.

:BS: There was no where to run. Believe it or not, Holmes has had game where he only ran for 60 yards too.

Bob Dole
11-23-2004, 11:03 AM
He's GREAT as a backup and change-of-pace guy. But I don't like him as a starter.

Bob Dole absolutely LOVES that one.

What pace, exactly, is he changing?

Unless Muddy Johnson is the starting back, Blaylock is just a smidge faster than Holmes.

Straight, No Chaser
11-23-2004, 11:10 AM
There was absolutly no room for blaylock to run. Give credit to NE def. line because there were no holes at all

FWIW: I hate resetting Madden but... Blaylock doesn't read and anticipate blocks like Preist. The replays from ABC indicated he was going to early.

After getting hammered in the 1st half, Derrick brought it back hard in the second. He's durable, tough and still has room to improve :thumb:

---->

Brock
11-23-2004, 11:11 AM
He looked pretty damn good as the game wore one. He didn't get enough opportunities.

Coogs
11-23-2004, 11:12 AM
FWIW: I hate resetting Madden but... Blaylock doesn't read and anticipate blocks like Preist. The replays from ABC indicated he was going to early.

I'm not a RB's coach, and I know Madden kept telling us Blaylock is no Holmes. But I really didn't see anything developing for Blaylock to wait on.

ROYC75
11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
So a healthy PH wouldn't have done anybetter ?

Blaylock , IMHO does not have the field vision of PH. yes the defense between of N.O. and N.E. is light and day.

Best thing I can compare it to is the short yardgae runs... Blaylock was horrid in both games.

Don't put more into what I just said, he had a good game in N.O. and average against N.E.. The defense had alot to do with this. I would be willing to bet that a healthy PH would have had 100 + yards last night .

jAZ
11-23-2004, 11:17 AM
I wish I could vote for two because these aren't mutually exclusive and they both represent my opinion.

"I am still convinced that Blaylock is the future."

-and-

"Put in Johnson."

suds79
11-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Bob Dole absolutely LOVES that one.

What pace, exactly, is he changing?

Unless Muddy Johnson is the starting back, Blaylock is just a smidge faster than Holmes.

In case you haven't noticed, the term "change of pace back" has been thrown around for years which is another way of saying 3rd down back.

I'll simplify it for you next time.

Rausch
11-23-2004, 11:24 AM
In case you haven't noticed, the term "change of pace back" has been thrown around for years which is another way of saying 3rd down back.

No it isn't. A 3rd down back is usually a back with Good hands who can CATCH the ball in passing situations.

Ron Dayne is a change of pace from Barber. Bettis for Staley. Warrick Dunn and what's-his-nuts...Two different types of backs.

Coogs
11-23-2004, 11:25 AM
So a healthy PH wouldn't have done anybetter ?

I would be willing to bet that a healthy PH would have had 100 + yards last night .

That is something we will never know. AS's game plan didn't feature Blaylock last night. For some reason, every game we have went down by 7-0 to open the game, the running game has become an after thought.

ChiefsOne
11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
The guy has got to be maxed out as it is.

He's bulked up just to get to 210. His body type just isn't a 215 or 220 pounder.

You might be surprised what a good cycle of Andro would do for him!

Bob Dole
11-23-2004, 11:31 AM

I'll simplify it for you next time.

That's okay. Bob Dole understands it perfectly.

Too bad you don't.

Eleazar
11-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Blaylock will never be a feature back in the NFL.

Bob Dole
11-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Don't put more into what I just said, he had a good game in N.O. and average against N.E.. The defense had alot to do with this. I would be willing to bet that a healthy PH would have had 100 + yards last night .

If there were any way to resolve it, Bob Dole would take that bet in a heartbeat.

Coogs
11-23-2004, 11:34 AM
In fact, here is Holmes line from the Carolina game....

ATT YDS TD LG
P. Holmes 16 66 1 17

...very similar to Blaylocks last night. And Carolinas defense is way down the charts this season, rushing defense included. And I would bet that if AS wouldn't have abandoned the rush against Carolina after falling behind early, Holmes would have put up 100+ against them.

So I am going to blame AS, and not Blaylock for the rushing totals. With a couple of props to the Patriots too.

ROYC75
11-23-2004, 11:39 AM
If there were any way to resolve it, Bob Dole would take that bet in a heartbeat.

Yep, won't ever find out cause he didn't play. I would bet it too !

Kinda the same reason people want to say Scanlon will never be / or not as good as Mitchell. But I would bet this one as well.Can't tell if one never see's the field.

But back to PH, he has been shut down before, usually it because of the OC. This could have been the reason for last night.

Blaylock is a good # 2 back, I'm not sold he is # 1 material yet.

Coogs
11-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Blaylock is a good # 2 back, I'm not sold he is # 1 material yet.

We have 6 more games to find out. Better finding out while he is here than somewhere else next year. Bad enough that Joe Horn is going pro-bowling every so often. Don't let history repeat itself.

Coogs
11-23-2004, 11:48 AM
And LJ is still under contract, so let Blaylock have at it first.

Hydrae
11-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I was just shaking my head when Madden made his comments about Blaylock not waiting for his blockers. If you go back and watch the NO game, he did an excellent job of waiting for his blockers. This was simply a much better defense we were against. I don't think Priest could have done much better than Blaylock last night.

ROYC75
11-23-2004, 11:55 AM
We have 6 more games to find out. Better finding out while he is here than somewhere else next year. Bad enough that Joe Horn is going pro-bowling every so often. Don't let history repeat itself.

I agree completely. IMHO, best case is to let PH rest his knee, get it healthy, see what we have in Blaylock.

At the same time we have many issues on this team we need answers to, players should be evaluated to their fullest for the remainder of the season.

Straight, No Chaser
11-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Blaylock will never be a feature back in the NFL.
I found out that using "Never" will get you called out here.

1)Harvey Williams
2)Donnell Bennett

It wouldn't surprise me to see Blaylock playing for Schottenhiemer.

Damn it's been along time since I typed "Schottenhiemer"

--->

Straight, No Chaser
11-23-2004, 12:14 PM
I was just shaking my head when Madden made his comments about Blaylock not waiting for his blockers. If you go back and watch the NO game, he did an excellent job of waiting for his blockers. This was simply a much better defense we were against. I don't think Priest could have done much better than Blaylock last night.

Agree, NE has a very, very disciplined defense. In a game like last night a couple of Holmes' one yard runs could've made the difference. Again, I'm reaching... credit NE and chalk it up as valuable experience for Derrick.

--->

BigRedChief
11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
I was at the game and there were some holed to hit but he was slow to get there or they were not open long enough. The screen pass was botched because he didn't go outside where he had blockers in front of him. We need to see what LJ can do. The seasons lost. Even if you don't want him, hike up his trade value.

Brock
11-23-2004, 12:17 PM
McGahee was shut down by the Patriots last week. I don't get why anyone is surprised.

ArrowheadHawk
11-23-2004, 12:22 PM
McGahee was shut down by the Patriots last week. I don't get why anyone is surprised.who is mcgahee? doesnt he have a bum knee?

Chiefnj
11-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Belichek and Romeo are the best coaches in football, period. How else can you explain KC's ability to completely 100% manhandle a 3-4 defense of the Ravens, but not open up any running lanes against the Pats?

What I wondered as Blaylock got stuffed time and time again is, how bad LJ must be to not even be given a single carry when the backup is averaging 1.1 yards per carry at the half.

The LJ pick is worse than Trezelle Jenkins.

Brock
11-23-2004, 12:25 PM
who is mcgahee? doesnt he have a bum knee?