PDA

View Full Version : Trent Green is a very good QB

Pitt Gorilla
11-23-2004, 12:19 AM
His end-of-the-game sacks not withstanding, Trent puts on a clinic game after game of how to throw the ball. Our receivers may have a unique knack for dropping the ball at the most inopportune times, but Trent keeps putting it on their numbers. If we can find someone to watch his right side and someone to consistently catch his passes (outside of Gonzo), Green could do even greater things. Of course, we'd still probably suck given our D. Oh well, to Trent.

ChiefsCountry
11-23-2004, 12:23 AM
True, very true.

Coach
11-23-2004, 12:24 AM
He did indeed finish over 100 QB rating didn't he, despite the shit-poor WR's we have?

Sure-Oz
11-23-2004, 12:25 AM
I feel bad for Trent and Priest and that offensive line that has battled, all for nothing.

Hog Rider
11-23-2004, 12:25 AM
I agree Trent has been doing well, but what is up with so many passes tonight being about 2-3 feet too low to catch? I really thought he would improve at the half. What causes a throw to be low? Is it throwing too hard, or a change in the follow through??? My wife and I counted at least eight low throws. Probably his total incompletions!

2bikemike
11-23-2004, 12:27 AM
I like Trent and think he is a very decent QB. He is struggling in the Red Zone right now and I don't think he had a very good night. He started off on fire but then his throw became a little off the mark. Mostly low passes.

He frustrates me. It seems like sometimes he throws rockets when he really doesn't need to and then like tonight he throws a soft pass for a pick.

Taco John
11-23-2004, 12:27 AM
I'd love to point at your losses and say, "see, I was right. Trent Green can't do it without Holmes. And while it might be true that he can't, the fact is, the guy manages the offense really well. It's hard for me to disparage his efforts *too* much. Except that he does WAY too much pocket dancing.

Pitt Gorilla
11-23-2004, 12:30 AM
I wondered if the weather didn't alter Trent's throws. That's a pretty sad excuse, but it really wasn't like him. I'm guessing the crappy weather wouldn't bother Brady (Michigan, Boston) as much.

AZChief
11-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Trent's solid but these endzone interceptions are killing me...

...so are kennision's and morton's drops btw...

ChiefFripp
11-23-2004, 12:42 AM
The list of players we should keep is alot smaller than the list of players we should cut or bench. If we spend one draft pick on an offensive player, I'll officially be a Pats fan.

Sure-Oz
11-23-2004, 12:42 AM
I'd love to point at your losses and say, "see, I was right. Trent Green can't do it without Holmes. And while it might be true that he can't, the fact is, the guy manages the offense really well. It's hard for me to disparage his efforts *too* much. Except that he does WAY too much pocket dancing.
He had too much time at one point but everyone was covered, wtf can he do, the bastard can't run like Vick or Plummet.

ChiefsCountry
11-23-2004, 12:48 AM
The list of players we should keep is alot smaller than the list of players we should cut or bench. If we spend one draft pick on an offensive player, I'll officially be a Pats fan.

We better spend some draft picks on offense that offense is getting old.

Straight, No Chaser
11-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Yes, there were a few drops but the killer was on TrINT --the "soft" toss to Gonzalez that was intercepted in the endzone. That's the difference between TrINT and Brady --this year. I don't think he was playing his best tonight but neither was anyone else.
NE is a very disciplined & extremely mature team. We could not afford mistakes like Green's INT in the endzone. [Ballgame]

--->

Phobia
11-23-2004, 12:52 AM

We need an impact WR.

ChiefFripp
11-23-2004, 01:21 AM
We don't need another wide reciever, we just need to put glue on the numbers front of Kennison's jersey.

Phobia
11-23-2004, 01:23 AM
We don't need another wide reciever, we just need to put glue on the numbers front of Kennison's jersey.

Better yet, draft an impact WR. It's not just Kennison's inability to catch that sucks.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 01:27 AM
Green's fine. We need a defense.

FringeNC
11-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Green is the shit. I loved that graphic about his QB rating. The reason it is so low on the outside is obviously a function of the joke WRs we have. Our WRs simply don't make plays, and often can't even catch perfectly thrown balls when they are in space. Green deserves better.

I watched the game with a non-Chiefs fan, and he was amazed by how bad our WRs were.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 01:31 AM
I watched the game with a non-Chiefs fan, and he was amazed by how bad our WRs were.

So bad that they combined for over 200 yards.

Phobia
11-23-2004, 01:38 AM
So bad that they combined for over 200 yards.

And dropped another 200 yards worth of receptions.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 03:22 AM
And dropped another 200 yards worth of receptions.

Morton's first drop would not have counted due to a holding penalty. He had one drop for about 6-7 yards.

Kennison I agree probably dropped about 50 yards worth of completions.

David.
11-23-2004, 05:39 AM
I wonder what it would be like to have 2 good sides of the ball. *sigh* I bet that'd be cool.

the Talking Can
11-23-2004, 06:31 AM
I think Trent's performance the last 2 1/2 years has been amazing. He has the pressure of playing with the worst defense in the league, knowing before any game that they have to score 30 points to win.

Every mistake he makes is amplified by a factor of 10. If he isn't perfect then we lose...last night: 400 yards, 2 TDs, 1 Int...a QB rating over 100 even with crucial dropped balls and no Priest Holmes and no running game....but the 1 mistake kills us becuase we line up 11 heartless assholes on defense.

Green will take the hit and make the throw. We've seen it time and again. I'm glad he's our QB and if we had even a high school quality defense we'd have some playoff wins by now. He's the one player on this team I don't worry about.

KCJohnny
11-23-2004, 08:49 AM
WhatEVER our problems are this year, its NOT the QB play. Green is the team MVP IMO...

King_Chief_Fan
11-23-2004, 08:51 AM
I saw a lot of dropped passes as well.........however, I certainly am not the only person watching the WR's having to make circus catches because of the "not so good throws". If you trade the catchs that should have been made with those that were made that shouldn't have been, it could be a wash. I didn't realize that our players hands were so close to their feet.

Amnorix
11-23-2004, 09:01 AM
I think Green is a top 10 QB. Whatever problems the Chiefs have, it's not at the QB position.

Rain Man
11-23-2004, 09:24 AM
We absolutely have to get a top-notch wide receiver in the offseason. There's simply no question about it any more. The drops last night were embarrassing.

Taco John
11-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Kennison I agree probably dropped about 50 yards worth of completions.

As expected. I will say "told you so" on Kennison. You guys might have gotten a game or two out of the guy, but for the most part, he's been a liability to your offense, *especially* in the clutch.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 09:39 AM
As expected. I will say "told you so" on Kennison. You guys might have gotten a game or two out of the guy, but for the most part, he's been a liability to your offense, *especially* in the clutch.

Last night was the first time he's had a multiple drop game this year. And he still had 99 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Iowanian
11-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Imagine his stats from last night, had Kennison and Morton caught every pass that hit them in the hands or Numbers 50 yards downfield.

Green is definitely one player who has EARNED my respect as a fan. he may not be Marino, but you know he's playing hard every game.

Otter
11-23-2004, 09:43 AM
I told you guys but did anyone listen....NOOOooooooo.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 09:43 AM
he's been a liability to your offense, *especially* in the clutch.

Are you talking about the 4th quarter?

Straight, No Chaser
11-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Imagine his stats from last night, had Kennison and Morton caught every pass that hit them in the hands or Numbers 50 yards downfield.

Green is definitely one player who has EARNED my respect as a fan. he may not be Marino, but you know he's playing hard every game.

Mostly agree but last night, for whatever reason, he did not locate his throws as well as he has in the past. Passes across the middle were low/slightly off target. On the gainer to Blaylock, Derrick had to interrupt his route slightly to grab it. The throw to Gonzalez that was intercepted was just plain WEAK. Trent normally puts that ball too high for anyone but Tony to grab. He has earned my respect too but last night he came up short.

The Kennison drop everyone is griping about was a tipped ball.

---->

Lzen
11-23-2004, 09:52 AM
I think Trent's performance the last 2 1/2 years has been amazing. He has the pressure of playing with the worst defense in the league, knowing before any game that they have to score 30 points to win.

Every mistake he makes is amplified by a factor of 10. If he isn't perfect then we lose...last night: 400 yards, 2 TDs, 1 Int...a QB rating over 100 even with crucial dropped balls and no Priest Holmes and no running game....but the 1 mistake kills us becuase we line up 11 heartless assholes on defense.

Green will take the hit and make the throw. We've seen it time and again. I'm glad he's our QB and if we had even a high school quality defense we'd have some playoff wins by now. He's the one player on this team I don't worry about.

:thumb: Excellent post which, now that I think about it, is really strange coming from you. :p

Rain Man
11-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Yeah, no way do I criticize Green. He's the leader of the league's best offense, and he's the best QB the Chiefs have had in ages. I'm a huge Greenbacker.

the Talking Can
11-23-2004, 09:58 AM
they're playing a clip from him on the radio..basically he says guys are playing for their jobs now, "now we learn who steps up and quits etc.."......

obvious, but good to hear from the leader....everyone's ass is on the line

Lzen
11-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Mostly agree but last night, for whatever reason, he did not locate his throws as well as he has in the past. Passes across the middle were low/slightly off target. On the gainer to Blaylock, Derrick had to interrupt his route slightly to grab it. The throw to Gonzalez that was intercepted was just plain WEAK. Trent normally puts that ball too high for anyone but Tony to grab. He has earned my respect too but last night he came up short.

---->

Yep, the throw should've been higher. Len Dawson was saying that on the radio, as well. Still, think about it. With all the strange low throws last night as well as drops by his receivers(most of which were good throws that should've been caught), his QB rating for the game was still over 100. He should've had another TD, too. Kennison dropped the ball on that one.

Iowanian
11-23-2004, 10:01 AM

---->

I'm not implying Green doesn't make mistakes or is Fabulous.............

Riddle me this.........
Did or did the ball not hit Kennison in the hands?
Did or did the ball not hit Morton in the numbers?

Garcia Bronco
11-23-2004, 10:03 AM
His end-of-the-game sacks not withstanding, Trent puts on a clinic game after game of how to throw the ball. Our receivers may have a unique knack for dropping the ball at the most inopportune times, but Trent keeps putting it on their numbers. If we can find someone to watch his right side and someone to consistently catch his passes (outside of Gonzo), Green could do even greater things. Of course, we'd still probably suck given our D. Oh well, to Trent.

He is a very good QB, but had IMO a bad game last night no including the drops last night...that really killed him.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 10:04 AM
He is a very good QB, but had IMO a bad game last night no including the drops last night...that really killed him.

I didn't know you could throw for 381 yards and 2 TD and have a bad game.

the Talking Can
11-23-2004, 10:05 AM

well, Priest carried the load.....oh, wait

FringeNC
11-23-2004, 10:06 AM

Riddle me this.........

Throw in that with their game-killing fumbles in the two previous games. Also, it takes them so long to get open, that they are worthless inside the 20. I'm sick of both of them.

Baby Lee
11-23-2004, 10:07 AM
The ball hit hit at the top of the right shoulder. If it wasn't tipped, he timed his jump poorly. But a bomb that hits you in the upper shoulder is rarely caught.

InChiefsHeaven
11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
I wonder what it would be like to have 2 good sides of the ball. *sigh* I bet that'd be cool.

Ask a Patriots fan...

InChiefsHeaven
11-23-2004, 10:15 AM
The ball hit hit at the top of the right shoulder. If it wasn't tipped, he timed his jump poorly. But a bomb that hits you in the upper shoulder is rarely caught.

Whatevah. Can't expect Green to be perfect all the time. Eddie needs to catch that ball...

Straight, No Chaser
11-23-2004, 10:18 AM

Riddle me this.........

Hey, anytime a ball is tipped it's 50/50 where it lands (I hate to dissect one play because it's NOT a microcosm of what occurred last night).

Ultimately, I think Morton & Kennison are hit-n-miss with their performances game to game. The PLAY THAT MATTERED last night was the Red Zone play when Trent threw the soft ball to Gonzalez and Harrison intercepted. When it mattered most last night he came up a little short. Look, with Priest out someone else needs to take this team on their back and carry them... Trent played a good game but came up short. Bret Farve's drive on Sunday comes to mind.

--->

Garcia Bronco
11-23-2004, 10:21 AM

It's not all yards and TD's....accuracy...being smart with the ball...etc. He had what...like 6-7 drops last night....but at times he was throwing low and late or high and early...because the Pats D got in his head. Like the 4th to TG....low, behind, and double coverage....that one play sums it up.

Sure-Oz
11-23-2004, 10:22 AM
I think no one could get open, so he had to force some throws in.

Knob
11-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Trent is good at QB. It doesn't matter the Chiefs can't stop anyone on Defense. By the time the Chiefs get their Crap together he will be to damn old and out the league. :cuss:

bobbything
11-23-2004, 10:26 AM
We could not afford mistakes like Green's INT in the endzone
Which is why it's stupid to expect perfection out of him. KC is harsh on the defense, but they're still getting somewhat of a free ride when it comes to close games. If I had a nickel for everytime I heard this...

"We had the ball with chance to win and Green got sacked."
"We had too many drops, an interception at the wrong time, etc."

Everyone has accepted that this defense cannot get the job done so they're expecting the offense to score 30+ every game.

In all of KC's close games, the defense has given up at least 22 points. That's pretty porus. Take a look...

Carolina, 28 points
Houston, 24 points
Jax, 22 points
TB, 34 points
NO, 27 points
NE, 27 points

If the defense were to keep the game close and only give up, say, 10-14 points (ie: New England, Pittsburgh), then I say we can start blaming the offense. But until then, I say lay off.

The WR's could be better. Green, at certain times, could make better decisions. Welbourne isn't John Tait. But, in all honesty, these are not the problems.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 10:26 AM
It's not all yards and TD's....accuracy...being smart with the ball...etc. He had what...like 6-7 drops last night....but at times he was throwing low and late or high and early...because the Pats D got in his head. Like the 4th to TG....low, behind, and double coverage....that one play sums it up.

Seriously. If our QB has a "bad night" and throws for 381 yards and 2 TD, I think it's safe to say we have 0 problems at the QB position.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Bret Farve's drive on Sunday comes to mind.

--->

Favre was so great. I don't know if Trent Green could ever will his team to 16 points while throwing 2 interceptions.

Garcia Bronco
11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Seriously. If our QB has a "bad night" and throws for 381 yards and 2 TD, I think it's safe to say we have 0 problems at the QB position.

The other week Plummer had 4 TD's and almost 500 yards passing and had a bad game. Yards and TD's only matter if you win.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 10:34 AM
The other week Plummer had 4 TD's and almost 500 yards passing and had a bad game. Yards and TD's only matter if you win.

Yeah and 4 interceptions. Green didn't throw a bunch of interceptions. Huge difference.

Lzen
11-23-2004, 10:47 AM

That's a ridiculous argument. Trent doesn't play defense.

jspchief
11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Trent Green has been solid at his worst and awesome at his best. The last two weeks he's been ineffective in the endzone because we're missing the biggest part of our redzone offense. Al Saunders is so reliant on Holmes and Gonzo when we get in the redzone, we become stagnant when one of them is missing.

I mentioned this in another thread...how many times have we thown a fade to the back corner this year? Every other team in the NFL runs it almost every time they get in the redzone. It's a great play-call because it draws contact so often. Is Green unable to throw a fade? He seems to lack touch at times. Are our WRs incapable of going up to get a pass? That's my guess. Luckily, we drafted another short guy to be as ineffective as Hall is.

Garcia Bronco
11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Yeah and 4 interceptions. Green didn't throw a bunch of interceptions. Huge difference.

It was 3 I believe...but the Int's aren't the point.....

Plummer held the ball too long...threw into coverage..and tried to make plays that just weren't there under pressure. So really it's the same...bad QB play.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 06:15 PM
It was 3 I believe...but the Int's aren't the point.....

Plummer held the ball too long...threw into coverage..and tried to make plays that just weren't there under pressure. So really it's the same...bad QB play.

It was 4. And it's a horrible comparison. Green wasn't throwing into coverage last night and he certainly wasn't trying to make plays that weren't there. He made one bad decision all night.