PDA

View Full Version : Two observations from last night, Priest and the final play

cadmonkey
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
While watching the game last night I noticed two things.

1. Why was Priest Holmes not standing on the side lines with the rest of the team? I know he hurt his leg but as a team leader he should be down on the field with his team. At least be there to encourage the young Running Backs and help them with some tips or something.

Has he become a primadonna?

2. Did the three recievers on the left side not run their routes, or even run at all on that last play? I understand that Green got sacked but they ran 10 yards, turned around and stopped. No desire to get open and maybe make a play. What's up with that?

ptlyon
11-23-2004, 09:19 AM
1. I think he is hurt worse than everyone thinks and they don't want him standing on it.

2. I have no fricking idea.

Bwana
11-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Two good questions. I was thinking the same thing while viewing Priest in the sky box. He must be REALLY messed up.

Phobia
11-23-2004, 09:24 AM

1. Why was Priest Holmes not standing on the side lines with the rest of the team? I know he hurt his leg but as a team leader he should be down on the field with his team. At least be there to encourage the young Running Backs and help them with some tips or something.

2. Did the three recievers on the left side not run their routes, or even run at all on that last play? I understand that Green got sacked but they ran 10 yards, turned around and stopped. No desire to get open and maybe make a play. What's up with that?

1. Priest probably isn't coming back.
2. That effort was a helluva lot better than what we got in the 90's. Hell, they'd either run the pattern 3 yards short of the first down marker or send a converted fullback right up the center's ass.

Baby Lee
11-23-2004, 09:27 AM
1. Priest probably isn't ever coming back.

Fixed your post. :thumb:

homey
11-23-2004, 09:29 AM
I want to know why in the last three games Green can't get enough protection to throw the ball on the last snap.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-23-2004, 09:33 AM
maybe to keep someone from ABC from getting any kind of interview

Taco John

I thought the same thing, and figured it would be good smack... but then thought it might be unfair due to the cloud of mystery surrounding his injury.

cadmonkey
Fixed your post. :thumb:

What are the realistic chances Priest is in a Chiefs Uniform next year?

cdcox
11-23-2004, 09:36 AM

I think only Priest knows, and he ain't saying.

Amnorix

What am I missing about Holmes? Is his injury career threatening or his contract salary cap-busting, or what?

Taco John
I want to know why in the last three games Green can't get enough protection to throw the ball on the last snap.

It's not only the last game. When you look at the history of Green with the Chiefs, Trent Green has never really been able to step up and make that last second play. He either holds the ball too long, or throws it fantastically short...

He had a TON of time last night on that last play. Whether anybody was open or not, you've got to get rid of that ball...

Rain Man
To be honest, I don't view Priest as a team leader at all. He's one of those guys that goes out there and does a fantastic job, but is a bit of a standalone player. Trent is a leader, Shields is a leader, Priest is a running back.

Taco John
11-23-2004, 09:37 AM
To be honest, I don't view Priest as a team leader at all. He's one of those guys that goes out there and does a fantastic job, but is a bit of a standalone player. Trent is a leader, Shields is a leader, Priest is a running back.

Yeah, he's not very vocal, is he?

Baby Lee
11-23-2004, 09:39 AM
What am I missing about Holmes? Is his injury career threatening or his contract salary cap-busting, or what?
He came within a cvnthair of retiring last offseason, but decided he saw something in the Chiefs' chances, and he wanted his dad to be able to see him on TV in Iraq. His dad'll be home, the Chiefs are a joke, and the injuries have piled up. Smart money is on him going the Barry Sanders route.

cdcox
11-23-2004, 09:50 AM

The impression I get from reading between the lines is that even the Chiefs don't really know how severe Priest's injuries are due to his non-communicative personality. Same with the thoughts of retirement last year. I don't think he communicated anything about his thoughts of retirement to the organization until the decision was made. His personality is quirky, and he doesn't communicate what he is thinking. That combination makes for a very unpredictable person.

cadmonkey
11-23-2004, 09:50 AM
He came within a cvnthair of retiring last offseason, but decided he saw something in the Chiefs' chances, and he wanted his dad to be able to see him on TV in Iraq. His dad'll be home, the Chiefs are a joke, and the injuries have piled up. Smart money is on him going the Barry Sanders route.

How long has he been in the league, 7 years?

Always Charger
11-23-2004, 09:51 AM
From TheHuddle.com

Priest Holmes - RB Kansas City Chiefs 11/18/04

Holmes was excused from practice on Wednesday to obtain a second medical opinion on his knee which has been described as having a grade-2 strain to his MCL. A grade-2 sprain is a partial-tear in the ligament, and can require rest or surgery. HC Dick Vermeil said that Holmes getting a second opinion is no reason for alarm. "He's concerned because this is a thing he's done before (in Baltimore)," Vermeil said. "You just can't predict when it's going to heal enough to allow him to play."

Huddle Up: There is realistic concern now that the rest of the season is very much in doubt for Holmes and when he had a similar injury in Baltimore a few years back, it required surgery.

cadmonkey
11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
one more observation. I think the front office should have gotten the point that the fans are pissed off last night. With 3 minutes left in the game and the Chiefs with a serious chance of winning the game, only down 5, the stadium is half empty.

Hey Carl, is this message clear enough for you?

KC Jones
11-23-2004, 10:23 AM
1. I think he is hurt worse than everyone thinks and they don't want him standing on it.

I think that's it in a nutshell. Also, I think Priest is something of an enigma but definitely not a primadonna. More like a Barry Sanders than a Keyshawn Johnson. From some other articles I've read, he pretty much decides who to talk to about what and when and how he will do everything. He plays so well and has such a great work ethic that Vermeil and Peterson give him a free pass to do whatever he wants.

Frankie
11-23-2004, 10:24 AM
He had a TON of time last night on that last play. Whether anybody was open or not, you've got to get rid of that ball...
Get rid of the ball on the 4th down and only a few seconds left? What would that do? :shrug:

Frankie
11-23-2004, 10:27 AM
BTW, I think Priest has done enough for us that he has earned his seat in the air conditioned box. He would not have been needed on the sideline. We have enough leaders on the offense. It's our defense that's badly lacking in leadership.

the Talking Can
11-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Get rid of the ball on the 4th down and only a few seconds left? What would that do? :shrug:

make taco john happy?

Knob
11-23-2004, 10:32 AM
1. Holmes knows we suck. Why be down on the field when it doesn't matter about how good you are. It only matters how you kiss DV's Arse if you get the playing time. Example: Blaylock vs. LJ What a joke!

2. Recievers gave up and they suck. All are basically third stringers in the league but they start for us as usual.

BigRedChief
11-23-2004, 10:54 AM
one more observation. I think the front office should have gotten the point that the fans are pissed off last night. With 3 minutes left in the game and the Chiefs with a serious chance of winning the game, only down 5, the stadium is half empty.

The majority of us have no faith in the front office and specifically King Carl to warrant any hope of a comeback during the game and more importantly this season or next year. These are not salad days. :(

Calcountry
11-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Now that is a bit over the top. You are now going to start chitting on Priest. That is where I have to stop and say fug it. The man can punch his own ticket as far as I am concerned. He has not only given his heart to our team, his hip and now his knee.

There is no one that plays as flat out, with as much agressiveness, ALL the time as Priest that is in a Chiefs uniform. Hey, Priest wasn't in a Uniform on Monday? Immagine that, the rest of the team sucked ass without him. Bottom line, he makes everyone on the team a better player. He makes Tony G a better TE, Green a better QB, The D is better, because they don't have to go back on the field so quick.

He IS the heart and soul of the Chiefs IMO.

If we are now going to dump shit on him because he was trying to make more yards and a guy put his helmet on his knee(whatever happened to leading with the helmet), then there is nothing left to root for. Don't waste your time, go buy a Turkey and get drunk or something.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-24-2004, 01:32 PM
To be honest, I don't view Priest as a team leader at all.
:shake:

Give me a break.

dtebbe
11-24-2004, 01:34 PM

I think when 10,000+ show up with bags on thier head, they might get a message. They were probably excited about people leaving early, figuring the clean-up crew could get in earlier and maybe save a few $$$ on salary. :cuss:

DT