PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding the KC Chiefs

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 06:15 PM
OK so this is my pie in the sky fix for our team...

1) Focus on tackling and physical toughness on defense. Our guys simply try for the turnover too often. DBs run to where the ball will be IF the WR doesn't catch it rather than trying to separate the WR from the ball and his head. Instead of trying to lead the league in TOs, we should focus on leading the league in fewest missed tackles and most decapitations. Turnovers will come off physical hits. That's how Baltimore does it. That's how we forced a fumble against NE.

2) We must get 2 defensive playmakers in free agency. I'd like to see us make a run at Kendrell Bell from Pittsburgh and Charles Woodson. Smoot would be ideal, but I don't think Washington lets him hit the market. After last offseasons hold out, I'm not convinced the Raiders will tag Woodson again. I'd like a new MLB, but the truth is that Mitchell is actually improving. He does overrun some plays, but that can be corrected. He's a good tackler when gets his hands on a runner. He needs to better in coverage. Beisel has played pretty well also.

3) While Kennison and Morton have had their moments this year, we need to get younger at WR. At a minimum, one of them must be replaced, preferably both. If we can replace both within the cap then I'd like to see us run after Porter from Oakland and Givens from NE.

4) Right now we would draft 7th and I suspect we may be around #5 after the season is over. I say first round Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas and 2nd round Chris Canty - DE from Virginia. Johnson is the best defensive player in the country and after we cut Holliday, we'll need another DE to rotate in with Allen, Hicks and Wilkerson.

Players that I'd part ways with if I can do it within the cap are McCleon, Holliday, Barber, Kennison and Morton. I'd add Woods, but given his new deal, we won't be able to.

I'd like to resign Blaylock but Bell, Woodson, Porter and Givens probably wouldn't allow us to. We need to play Johnson more now and get him ready.

Those are my thoughts....blast away.

DenverChief
11-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Porter is def pie in the sky...Smoot would be awesome...isn't woodson a broke dick anyway?

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Porter is def pie in the sky...Smoot would be awesome...isn't woodson a broke dick anyway?

Why? Cap?

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 06:22 PM
We're not going to replace our wide receivers. At least not for a couple years.

The offense is fine. It is good enough to win a championship. The defense is not, and until this team finds balance, they won't even get close.

Vermeil needs to start running full-speed practices.

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 06:26 PM
We're not going to replace our wide receivers. At least not for a couple years.

The offense is fine. It is good enough to win a championship. The defense is not, and until this team finds balance, they won't even get close.

Vermeil needs to start running full-speed practices.

I agree with the practices, we must develop some toughness and better tackling. We definitely must add talent on defense. However, if we do not replace at least 1 of our starting WRs we will not struggle next year even if our defense improves. We don't have to upgrade, but we must replace. Kennison and Morton will not play at this level next year. They will decline in their performance. This is their last hurrah. They will be 32 and 34 next year. We must get younger at that position.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 06:28 PM
I agree with the practices, we must develop some toughness and better tackling. We definitely must add talent on defense. However, if we do not replace at least 1 of our starting WRs we will not struggle next year even if our defense improves. We don't have to upgrade, but we must replace. Kennison and Morton will not play at this level next year. They will decline in their performance. This is their last hurrah. They will be 32 and 34 next year. We must get younger at that position.

Why would they decline? They aren't old as dirt quite yet.

Morton and Kennison have improved their play in KC each year. Yet they have also gotten older each year.

With a healthy Boerigter back we will be in great shape.

Coach
11-23-2004, 06:30 PM
If we are to rebuild a team, chances are that we will have to suffer some of the cap hits, like SF is right now. However, let's say, 100 million is the salary cap. I want at least 45 million on offense, 45 million on defense, and 10 on special teams (kickers, punters, etc.)

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 06:31 PM

Morton and Kennison have improved their play in KC each year. Yet they have also gotten older each year.

They'll decline because they won't ascend. They are both still dropping passes and they've added fumbling to the mix now. Any coincidence to their training camp injuries and age? Kennison is supposed to be the speedster, but got caught from behind in TB. He bobbled the TD pass last night and dropped another, as did Morton. They won't get any better which means they'll decline. Nobody stays the same.

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 06:34 PM
If we are to rebuild a team, chances are that we will have to suffer some of the cap hits, like SF is right now. However, let's say, 100 million is the salary cap. I want at least 45 million on offense, 45 million on defense, and 10 on special teams (kickers, punters, etc.)

That's a nice thought, but because of spreading signing bonuses over the length of the contract to lessen the cap hit, that won't likely happen. However, you could get to payroll being relatively even. Sadly, based on resigning Woods, Hicks, and Bartee, we might have been relatively even this year.

PastorMikH

After I saw Kennison go on that string of miss 4 passes in a row, that hit him in the chest, I was pretty much fed up with him - the TD at the end of the game should have been caught by someone else because Kennison shouldn't have been on the field and Green shouldn't have been throwing at him.

Morton has done better, but he is still inconsistent and he did miss one or two passes last night that bounced off his chest as well. That is something a WR that is getting paid millions to play just can't do.

el borracho
I would have no problem with your fixes but would prefer a DE first. 3/4 of our secondary will be starting again next season so I think our only hope is to get to the quarterback sooner. The biggest downer is the Woods contract. He has been the worst part of our secondary and his contract says that he stays and plays.

DenverChief
11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Why? Cap?

you htink the raiduhs are gonna let him get away?

PastorMikH
11-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Nice thoughts there Alphaman. Too bad Carl won't listen.

Coach
11-23-2004, 06:37 PM
That's a nice thought, but because of spreading signing bonuses over the length of the contract to lessen the cap hit, that won't likely happen. However, you could get to payroll being relatively even. Sadly, based on resigning Woods, Hicks, and Bartee, we might have been relatively even this year.

Sadly, you are right. You see, if my understanding is correct, was most of our signing bonsus was on the defense in the 90's?

Taking away from resigning Woods, Hicks, and Bartee to ridicilous long term contracts, the Offense would had most of the majority of the signing bonsus.

PastorMikH
11-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Here's what I see happening. Lamar will stay with Carl and not make a change. After the season, Carl will blame the record on injuries and point out that everyone on IR is doing well and will return. Since they are returning, there is no point in adding talent so they will pretty much stand pat again.

el borracho
11-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Someone please tell me that we can cut Hicks next year without killing our cap.

please.

Coach
11-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Oh, and on that note, I honestly don't want to get players that is all about money (I.E. Woods, Grbac, etc)

I want players who come cheap, but love the game (Like Allen, Holmes) with a passion. I think with that combination of players, you can field a decent f*cking team.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 06:44 PM
After I saw Kennison go on that string of miss 4 passes in a row, that hit him in the chest, I was pretty much fed up with him - the TD at the end of the game should have been caught by someone else because Kennison shouldn't have been on the field and Green shouldn't have been throwing at him.

Morton has done better, but he is still inconsistent and he did miss one or two passes last night that bounced off his chest as well. That is something a WR that is getting paid millions to play just can't do.

No one is going to catch EVERY PASS. Our wide receivers, before last night, had not dropped many passes at all. I mean they've really been outstanding in comparison to last year. It's not even close.

I see no reason why they can't be as good next year. They've improved every year here, despite getting older.

Seriously, it's one bad game. Tynes had a bad game and you all wanted to Lynch him. He's nailed every kick since.

el borracho
11-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Tynes is young and developing. Morton and Kennison are old and as developed as they will possibly get. This is the reason so many are ok with giving the Bartees, Mitchells and Battles time to develop and are pissed at the signing and play of vets like Barber, Holliday, Hicks and Woods.

The Bad Guy
11-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Bell is injury prone and there are several other LBs that would be better than him.

Ed Hartwell is just one name that comes to mind.

We need a pass rushing DE and a CB.

Smoot, John Abraham are the 2 I would want. If we get Smoot we can draft Johnson. If we don't, draft Antrell Rolle.

We need to add a FA receiver as well. If Marvin Harrison doesn't get tagged by Indy then make a big run at him.

Cut Barber, Holliday, McCleon, Morton.

Get Trent Green and Priest to restructure.

We have 1 year left to make a run, might as well go balls to the wall to get it done.

The Bad Guy
11-23-2004, 06:59 PM
No one is going to catch EVERY PASS. Our wide receivers, before last night, had not dropped many passes at all. I mean they've really been outstanding in comparison to last year. It's not even close.

I see no reason why they can't be as good next year. They've improved every year here, despite getting older.

Seriously, it's one bad game. Tynes had a bad game and you all wanted to Lynch him. He's nailed every kick since.

Our offense is as good as it is despite the shitty receivers we field, not because of it.

A marquee receiver would make all the difference in the world. Look at Philadelphia. These guys don't scare anyone we have.

I'd break the bank to get Marvin Harrison. I don't care if he's 32.

philfree
11-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Smoot, John Abraham are the 2 I would want. If we get Smoot we can draft Johnson. If we don't, draft Antrell Rolle.

Do you really think Abraham will hit the market? He is the one player that I would love to have as a Chief.

PhilFree :arrow:

PastorMikH
11-23-2004, 07:21 PM

Sure, not every pass is going to get caught. However, when a Veteran WR - that makes better than a mil a year, is facing the QB with no defenders on him and the ball hits him in the numbers, I expect that ball to be caught EVERY time.

As for Tynes, you might want to check that pronoun usage because you won't find any posts on here from me wanting to lynch him. In fact, you will find a few from me commenting on how he's a young kicker and we need to be patient.

and FWIW, as for Morton IMPROVING, check his stats. He was a thousand yard WR in Detroit of all places but hasn't done it since here. How can he be improving? Looks to me like he's declined.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 07:29 PM
and FWIW, as for Morton IMPROVING, check his stats. He was a thousand yard WR in Detroit of all places but hasn't done it since here. How can he be improving? Looks to me like he's declined.

Check his stats in KC. Shitty first year, average last year, good this year.

Kennison's #'s have been about the same but he's definitely improved his hands. And his YPC is as good as ever....he's filling the role of deep threat nicely.

The main reason I don't want a FA WR is I would rather spend that dough on the defense. The offense is super-bowl caliber.

TEX
11-23-2004, 07:31 PM

Kennison's #'s have been about the same but he's definitely improved his hands. And his YPC is as good as ever....he's filling the role of deep threat nicely.

The main reason I don't want a FA WR is I would rather spend that dough on the defense. The offense is super-bowl caliber.

I agree, plus Boe might be back as well...

philfree
11-23-2004, 07:33 PM

I'm not arguing either way but Morton is on track for a 1000 yards recieving this year and if Kennison keeps doing what he's done the last three games he will too. Eddie has 3 100+ yard recieving games in a row.

PhilFree :arrow:

CHIEF4EVER
11-23-2004, 07:36 PM

Kennison's hands have improved? From iron to stone or what? He is a SERVICEABLE WR at best. Average to decent. We need an impact WR with hands like glue.

tk13
11-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Morton needs to average 52 receiving yards/game the rest of the way, Kennison needs to average 65 receiving yards/game, and Gonzalez needs to average 44.5 yards/game to reach 1000... could have three different guys pull it off. Kinda hard to believe considering neither Morton or Kennison was remotely healthy at the beginning of the year.

TEX
11-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Morton needs to average 52 receiving yards/game the rest of the way, Kennison needs to average 65 receiving yards/game, and Gonzalez needs to average 44.5 yards/game to reach 1000... could have three different guys pull it off. Kinda hard to believe considering neither Morton or Kennison was remotely healthy at the beginning of the year.

Yep. It IS hard to believe. Honestly, I'd keep both of them and I wouldn't change the offense that much because that's NOT the problem. However, the thing I'd do is add a reliable # 3 WR (That could be Boe, if healthy and maybe Chris Wilson could also provide help from the TE/FB position). The next thing I'd do on offense is find a solid RT because what we currently have is absolutely KILLING us! :cuss:

The problem with this team is DEFENSE and it has been in decline since before D.V. got here, but has actually gotten worse during his tenure, so that's where I'd make many changes. NOBODY (except Dalton) would be safe on that side of the ball if I were in charge. Course, because we stood pat last offseason and signed all our own _efensive players, it's going to be very hard to get everything we need on that side of the ball. That's why I HATED to stand pat because it effects MORE than just the upcoming season... :shake:

tk13
11-23-2004, 08:03 PM
Well I think the strategy was instead of adding 1 big stud WR, was to add some depth there, be able to go with Morton, Kennison, Hall, Boerigter, Parker, Gonzalez, Wilson, Dunn, Holmes, Richardson, and Blaylock as recieving threats and do it like the New England Patriots, kill you with depth.... injuries pretty much destroyed that plan though. It's basically been Morton/Kennison/Gonzo with a little supporting help by Hall/Horn and very little help recieving out of the backfield.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 08:05 PM
Yep. It IS hard to believe. Honestly, I'd keep both of them and I wouldn't change the offense that much because that's NOT the problem. However, the thing I'd do is add a reliable # 3 WR (That could be Boe, if healthy and maybe Chris Wilson could also provide help from the TE/FB position). The next thing I'd do on offense is find a solid RT because what we currently have is absolutely KILLING us! :cuss:

The problem with this team is DEFENSE and it has been in decline since before D.V. got here, but has actually gotten worse during his tenure, so that's where I'd make many changes. NOBODY (except Dalton) would be safe on that side of the ball if I were in charge. Course, because we stood pat last offseason and signed all our own _efensive players, it's going to be very hard to get everything we need on that side of the ball. That's why I HATED to stand pat because it effects MORE than just the upcoming season... :shake:

Thankyou!

TEX
11-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Well I think the strategy was instead of adding 1 big stud WR, was to add some depth there, be able to go with Morton, Kennison, Hall, Boerigter, Parker, Gonzalez, Wilson, Dunn, Holmes, Richardson, and Blaylock as recieving threats and do it like the New England Patriots, kill you with depth.... injuries pretty much destroyed that plan though. It's basically been Morton/Kennison/Gonzo with a little supporting help by Hall/Horn and very little help recieving out of the backfield.

Yep. And I agreed with that plan on offense. I was absolutely SHOCKED that we stood pat on _efense, especially when you consider what we had under the cap. The ONE defensive FA we did make last offseason has turned out to be solid. So... :hmmm:

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 09:19 PM

My point is that we should have learned the lesson on standing pat. Like I said, we need to get 2 playmakers on defense. Jared Allen is going to start as is Hicks. I think you'll see a change at LB and CB. But we can't stand pat on offense either. We need to get younger at WR. Those two guys are playing above average this year, but if we can get that same production from 2 younger, ascending guys we need to do it.

They've dropped passes beyond just this game, but their playmaking days are beyond them. Teams will continue to mug TG and we'll need WRs to make them pay. Kennison and Morton can't be counted on to provide that, and their performance will decline next year.

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 09:21 PM
you htink the raiduhs are gonna let him get away?

I don't think they'll have a choice. He is able to void the last year of his contract this offseason, which means the Raiders won't be able to tag him.

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Someone please tell me that we can cut Hicks next year without killing our cap.

please.

He just signed a new deal last year. Probably not going to happen.

Alphaman
11-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Bell is injury prone and there are several other LBs that would be better than him.

Ed Hartwell is just one name that comes to mind.

We need a pass rushing DE and a CB.

We need to add a FA receiver as well. If Marvin Harrison doesn't get tagged by Indy then make a big run at him.

Cut Barber, Holliday, McCleon, Morton.

Get Trent Green and Priest to restructure.

We have 1 year left to make a run, might as well go balls to the wall to get it done.

I think we are on the same page. However, Hartwell is a MLB and we've invested in Beisel and Mitchell there. We need an OLB who's a playmaker. Who will be out there better than Bell? I don't think Smoot or Abraham will hit the market, if they do, I'm all for signing them.

htismaqe
11-23-2004, 09:29 PM
I think we are on the same page. However, Hartwell is a MLB and we've invested in Beisel and Mitchell there. We need an OLB who's a playmaker. Who will be out there better than Bell? I don't think Smoot or Abraham will hit the market, if they do, I'm all for signing them.

Akin Ayodele...although I doubt he hits the market.

I like Bad Guy's plan alot, actually.

PastorMikH
11-23-2004, 09:38 PM
As for Morton and Kennison, I think both are getting older and slower. Kennison hasn't impressed me this year - he seems to have caught (pun intended) Morton's tendancy to drop the ball at crucial times.

Think about it, for those here who think the D is the entire problem with this team, which squad was on the field at the end of the game with a chance to win the last 3 weeks in a row and couldn't pull it off? This team still needs a play-making WR that we can count on when the chips are down. Morton and Kennison make plays, but how confident are you when the game is on the line in the final seconds and they are Green's options?

And further arguement, if Priest is hurt worse than everyone is saying and doesn't make it back, and our best WRs are Morton and Kennison, how potent will this offense be?

Shoot, I'm flexible and willing to compromise. I'll let you choose which of these 2 you want to keep - I'd even go for keeping both and moving one to 3rd option, but I want a serious go-to WR like Rice was, or Moss/Owens are (without their attitudes) as a #1 WR.

blsilks
11-23-2004, 09:48 PM
The very first thing I would do is go home and play Madden 2005, fire everybody on the defense and milk the hell out of the free agency market.

Next, I would simulate the entire season to make sure I have a winning defense and team.

Finally, once I have a good team I would then go out into the real world and duplicate this.

Are you listening Carl Peterson?

TEX
11-23-2004, 11:13 PM
The very first thing I would do is go home and play Madden 2005, fire everybody on the defense and milk the hell out of the free agency market.

Next, I would simulate the entire season to make sure I have a winning defense and team.

Finally, once I have a good team I would then go out into the real world and duplicate this.

Are you listening Carl Peterson?

ROFL :clap:

That plan would have been better than last year's off season! :cuss:

jspchief
11-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Shaun Ellis and John Abraham are both FAs this year. The Jets likely won't be able to retain both of them. I think we have our "Abraham" already in Jared Allen. I can only imagine what an off-season of NFL weight training will do to him. He should be better next year.

I'd like to see us go CB or LB in the first round. If Rolle is gone, maybe we could take a WR and get an OLB in round two. Best case scenario is Fox earns Barber's spot and either Beisel or Mitchell steps it up in the middle. Then we can start to address the FB situation, as well as the age of our O-line.

I would really like to see us get a big WR. We don't have anybody that can make the catch that Andre Johnson made against, or run the corner endzone fades that Keary Colbert beat us on. All of our WRs need the ball to drop into their hands to catch it. I'd like a guy that goes up and battles for the ball.

go bo
11-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Shaun Ellis and John Abraham are both FAs this year. The Jets likely won't be able to retain both of them. I think we have our "Abraham" already in Jared Allen. I can only imagine what an off-season of NFL weight training will do to him. He should be better next year.

I'd like to see us go CB or LB in the first round. If Rolle is gone, maybe we could take a WR and get an OLB in round two. Best case scenario is Fox earns Barber's spot and either Beisel or Mitchell steps it up in the middle. Then we can start to address the FB situation, as well as the age of our O-line.

I would really like to see us get a big WR. We don't have anybody that can make the catch that Andre Johnson made against, or run the corner endzone fades that Keary Colbert beat us on. All of our WRs need the ball to drop into their hands to catch it. I'd like a guy that goes up and battles for the ball.like gonzo does when he's not being mugged?

that's a rare quality...

i wonder if wilson can go up and get the football like that...

but then he's not exactly a wr, is he?

jspchief
11-24-2004, 12:33 AM
like gonzo does when he's not being mugged?

that's a rare quality...

i wonder if wilson can go up and get the football like that...

but then he's not exactly a wr, is he?

Yea, kind of. I'm thinking more of a guy that can out jump someone on a fade route in the EZ, rather than a guy that battles in traffic. I also think a tall WR makes deep routes more effective because they need less seperation. Consider how much separation Hall needs for Green to hit him over the top...probably five or more steps. A taller guy might only need a step or two.

go bo
11-24-2004, 01:00 AM
Yea, kind of. I'm thinking more of a guy that can out jump someone on a fade route in the EZ, rather than a guy that battles in traffic. I also think a tall WR makes deep routes more effective because they need less seperation. Consider how much separation Hall needs for Green to hit him over the top...probably five or more steps. A taller guy might only need a step or two.i see your point...

but i'm not really interested in a taller wr unless he can play cornerback too, like that guy on the partriots...

The Bad Guy
11-24-2004, 01:12 AM

I disagree, I think we need an MLB more than anything.

Beisel is an OLB who was forced into MLB duty because of injuries.

Mitchell, like just about every Chiefs' second rounder, blows.

They need a run stuffing MLB over an OLB, IMO. We get killed against the run and getting that MLB would help that.

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 01:19 AM
We get killed against the run and getting that MLB would help that.

The main weakness is our secondary. The Chiefs run D has improved.

I do think we would benefit tremendously from Hartwell, however. Our defensive line play has been the main reason for the improvement in run D.

CanadaKC
11-24-2004, 01:22 AM
My guess is we're going to miss out on Rolle....but have a chance at Derrick Johnson. Two qb's are going top three.

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 01:30 AM

I do think we would benefit tremendously from Hartwell, however. Our defensive line play has been the main reason for the improvement in run D.

I wonder if our Run D has improved because our Pass D is so bad. They know we can't stop anybody in the air. We will see how well we do against LT this weekend.

alanm
11-24-2004, 01:35 AM

They need a run stuffing MLB over an OLB, IMO. We get killed against the run and getting that MLB would help that.Blatant Husker Homer Plug... Barret Ruud MLB-Nebraska. He's projected as a lower 1st rnd pick at the moment. The guy's a player.:thumb:

The Bad Guy
11-24-2004, 01:56 AM

The run D still sucks.

Both are weaknesses, and while the secondary needs to be dramatically improved, so does the run defense.

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 02:06 AM
I wonder if our Run D has improved because our Pass D is so bad. They know we can't stop anybody in the air. We will see how well we do against LT this weekend.

There could be something to that.

All I know is running backs aren't ripping off huge gains like last year.

Logical
11-24-2004, 02:06 AM
IMO what makes a WR a true #1 WR is a consistent TD threat whether far away or close in. Morton has never been a real TD threat period and Kennison is only good from long range witness yesterdays 65 and 26 yarders. That is why IMO our offense has fell apart scoring wise this season especially after Priest got hurt. Cover Tony and there is no close in scoring threat.

jspchief
11-24-2004, 08:02 AM
IMO what makes a WR a true #1 WR is a consistent TD threat whether far away or close in. Morton has never been a real TD threat period and Kennison is only good from long range witness yesterdays 65 and 26 yarders. That is why IMO our offense has fell apart scoring wise this season especially after Priest got hurt. Cover Tony and there is no close in scoring threat.

I agree with this. Our offense is incapable of scoring with a WR inside the 10 yard line. I put a lot of the blame on Saunders too. He's made our goal line O entirely dependent Homes and Gonzo, and still can't figure out how to design a play that takes advantage of other teams loading up against #31 and #88. Of course, with the touch Green has shown in the red zone this year, we may just be trying to avoid more picks.

I blame safety play for our poor run D. If our safeties are in position to stop these runs 10 yards deep, instead of allowing 40+ yard runs we are a much improved team. Most games we do a serviceable job of stuffing most runs. It's just those huge ones that kill us.

MOhillbilly
11-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Shore up the middle of the D w/ a real Fn MLB. A real cover corner and quality backups.

Problem solved.

Now HTF & or WTF the front office didnt see this makes my freakin head spin. All the bullshit about Maz aside,they knew it was coming,anyway you look at it the failure to adress the defensive side of the ball shows a blatant lack of preperation.

Of course i say this cause hindsight is 20/20,and were nearly goin' blind.:banghead:

BigChiefFan
11-24-2004, 08:25 AM

They need a run stuffing MLB over an OLB, IMO. We get killed against the run and getting that MLB would help that.
Didn't you hear? Carl's got a plan for MLB... his name is Mike Maslowski. I'm sure we will approach improving the team in the same manner as last year with very little activity.

suds79
11-24-2004, 08:33 AM
The good news is that the mess at MLB can be fixed.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where you vote for what FA MLB you want and I saw about 3 or so guys on there that would be a BIG improvement over what we have so that's an option.

Beisel when he was healthy, was playing MLB better than Mitchell so if all else fails, I guess that's something. Although this definately is not the route I'd like to see us go.

Here's a more wild idea that I haven't heard thrown out there. Beisel made the move from OLB to MLB and seemed to play okay. If we continue to stink it up this year and have an opportunity to draft OLB Derrick Johnson out of Texas, why couldn't we move Fujita to the middle? The guy has speed to burn and is around 253 lbs, which is the idea weight for a MLB.

If we had Johnson, Fujita & Barber, I'd go to war with that.

Chris Meck
11-24-2004, 10:04 AM
There's no way they'll stand pat on defense this offseason. No way.

If you're the cynical type, it'll be because Carl knows the seats won't be full with another 5-11 season. (my estimation of our final record).

If you're less cynical and just see a season in which younger players were expected to develop and didn't and players you were counting on either declined or were injured-it's still clear where the holes are.

We need a cover corner. We need a MLB. We need a OLB. And we need a FS.

The play up front has been serviceable overall, and it's likely that our front four will be better next year with the continued development of Siavii and Allen. Biggest problem has been consistent pass rush with our down four, and Allen has been our best rusher; with an offseason to bulk up a bit and add 15 lbs. or so, he'll be better. Browning/Hicks will probably have to do on the SS due to the cap, Siavii, Dalton, Sims rotate inside, Allen on the WS.

I like moving Fujita inside; he's big, he's fast, he's smart. He's not the most physical LB, but he's sort of a bigger Donnie Edwards-who ran the middle for Gun pretty effectively. At any rate, we need two LB's. Fox may be an answer, or maybe not-only Gun knows.

Woods is done. He doesn't appear able to run anymore. Harts isn't any better. Harts COULD improve perhaps; but I'd rather just have a new, superior athlete type there. Battle maybe? Maybe. Bartee? Could be. If either of those could move over, then that frees up money to just go get the best corner available in FA to play opposite Warfield-who is a GOOD corner, just not a #1 corner.

Holliday's gone or at least relegated to the bottom of the depth chart, McCleon's gone.

just how I see it.

chris

InChiefsHeaven
11-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Blatant Husker Homer Plug... Barret Ruud MLB-Nebraska. He's projected as a lower 1st rnd pick at the moment. The guy's a player.:thumb:

Beat me to it. Probably the only real Husker star in the draft, but well worth it. He is indeed a player...but would we rather have another LB or shoud we be going after a good CB...

milkman
11-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Beat me to it. Probably the only real Husker star in the draft, but well worth it. He is indeed a player...but would we rather have another LB or shoud we be going after a good CB...

I want LBs.

I still believe that defenses can be good if the front seven is strong, even if the secondary doesn't have top notch talent.

I think the Pats D right now illustrate that.

I also think if you look back to the 9ers first SB under Walsh, you get a fair example.

They won the SB with 3? rookies in the secondary.

BigChiefFan
11-25-2004, 11:29 AM
I want LBs.

I still believe that defenses can be good if the front seven is strong, even if the secondary doesn't have top notch talent.

I think the Pats D right now illustrate that.

I also think if you look back to the 9ers first SB under Walsh, you get a fair example.

They won the SB with 3? rookies in the secondary.
I'd take LBers, CBs and safeties in that order. We even need some help on the D-line, IMO. I just want to see us go after impact players instead of all the Carlton Grays of the world.

Hammock Parties
11-25-2004, 11:41 AM
I blame safety play for our poor run D. If our safeties are in position to stop these runs 10 yards deep, instead of allowing 40+ yard runs we are a much improved team. Most games we do a serviceable job of stuffing most runs. It's just those huge ones that kill us.

The Chiefs have pretty much eliminated the long run from their defensive weakness. It was a problem early in the year but not anymore.

When teams run on us this year, it's been consistent 5, 6 and 7 yard gains.

The main problem with the defense is the secondary and pass rush. Average pass rush + bad coverage = big plays.