PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Morton an FA?

Red Dawg
11-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Do not sign him back and get Parker on the field. I wish they would drop Eddie and start Horn. I rather have Bo, Horn and Parker on the field

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Pretty sure he isn't. He's having his best year as a Chief so I don't see why we need to be concerned about him at all.

tk13
11-23-2004, 07:55 PM
No, we signed him to a 7 year contract... he has 4 years left, I'm not sure if we have any option to get out of the contract, for next year at least I doubt it. I think we would've cut him in preseason if we hadn't had so many injury problems.

Sure-Oz
11-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Will Bo even be able come back and contribute? He was fast and had decent hands, now he might be a big slow ass wr.

FloridaChief
11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
The only FA on offense is Blaylock, IIRC...

morphius
11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
I would like to know anything abut Parker, he was injured early and took a while to learn the offense becausee of it, but I thought he was supposed to be a speed guy. Which would make him the obvious replacement to Kennidropsomemore...

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
I would like to know anything abut Parker, he was injured early and took a while to learn the offense becausee of it, but I thought he was supposed to be a speed guy. Which would make him the obvious replacement to Kennidropsomemore...

Perhaps we should cut all our players who have one bad game.

Phobia
11-23-2004, 08:17 PM
It seems to be working for the Patriots.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 08:43 PM

What do you mean?

suds79
11-23-2004, 09:40 PM

Week 1 vs Denver - 6 catches, 101 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 2 vs Carolina - 1 catch, 20 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 3 vs Houston - not active

Week 4 vs Baltimore - not active

Week 5 - Bye

Week 6 vs Jacksonville - 3 catches, 61 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 7 vs Atlanta - 3 cathces, 52 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 8 vs Indianapolis - 5 catches, 50 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 9 vs Tampa Bay - 6 catches, 104 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 10 vs New Orleans - 7 catches, 121, 1 TD. (yea we have a TD!)

Week 11 vs New England - 3 catches, 99 yards, 2 TDs. (and too many dropped passes to count)

Just not the play maker that you'd want a starting WR to be. And this isn't even factoring in the drops.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Week 1 vs Denver - 6 catches, 101 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 2 vs Carolina - 1 catch, 20 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 3 vs Houston - not active

Week 4 vs Baltimore - not active

Week 5 - Bye

Week 6 vs Jacksonville - 3 catches, 61 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 7 vs Atlanta - 3 cathces, 52 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 8 vs Indianapolis - 5 catches, 50 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 9 vs Tampa Bay - 6 catches, 104 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 10 vs New Orleans - 7 catches, 121, 1 TD. (yea we have a TD!)

Week 11 vs New England - 3 catches, 99 yards, 2 TDs. (and too many dropped passes to count)

Just not the play maker that you'd want a starting WR to be. And this isn't even factoring in the drops.

Kennison has to get 100 yards every week now to be considered good? He has 4 100-yard games for crying out loud. He'd be ahead of Morton if he hadn't missed 2 and 3/4 games (he went out in the 1st quarter against Carolina).

Eddie's been really consistent. His worst game in which he wasn't injured was 50 yards! That's a huge improvement over last year.

You people are never satisfied.

Two other things:

Kennison is 8th in the NFL in receiving yards per game.

Kennison is 6th in the NFL in yards per catch.

Big Chief Homer
11-23-2004, 10:16 PM
just something else to bitch about.

2 balls kennison "dropped"

1 was tipped 1 was low.even tg "dropped the low pass"

motons drop would have been calld back on a penalty anyway.

im sure no one was yelling cut johnny on the 3 3rd and longs he caught on the sidelines or kennison sucks during the 2 touchdowns.

geez guys give it a fuggin rest.

there all we have and they aint goin no where.

tommykat
11-23-2004, 10:20 PM

Whatever the above said........The Pats are the only team thus far playing with Brady and the same O-line............That makes a HUGE difference... IMO..So smack me. :hmmm: :shake:

tommykat
11-23-2004, 10:21 PM

im sure no one was yelling cut johnny on the 3 3rd and longs he caught on the sidelines or kennison sucks during the 2 touchdowns.

Listen to DVs audio.........he explains the one drop with Kennison. So BITE ME

Logical
11-23-2004, 10:24 PM

We could afford to have one of them with the other (likely Morton) only as a third receiver. The problem is we have no true #1 type receiver. The other problem is we are paying Morton like he is and that is a waste of some valuable cap money.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 10:37 PM
We could afford to have one of them with the other (likely Morton) only as a third receiver. The problem is we have no true #1 type receiver. The other problem is we are paying Morton like he is and that is a waste of some valuable cap money.

Do you consider Hines Ward a #1?

Big Chief Homer
11-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Listen to DVs audio.........he explains the one drop with Kennison. So BITE ME

listen i dont know what your problem is or what the hell your talkin about.i did listen to dvs audio and i was saying the drops WERENT his fault.I was stickin up for eddie and johnnie.imo they have had just as many positive plays as dumb ones(ie getting stripped)

maybe you should actually read a post before being a total douche with your reply.so the answer is no i wont bite you.
:rolleyes: :shake:

Big Chief Homer
11-23-2004, 11:00 PM

vlad,i agree 100% with you on that.we truely do need a #1.jm and ek are entirely over paid and getting up in age.

but im not so keen on parker and some of the other replacement on the roster.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2004, 11:12 PM
The problem is we have no true #1 type receiver. The other problem is we are paying Morton like he is and that is a waste of some valuable cap money.

your right.. the problem isnt really morton or kennison, it's that that we need a true #1 receiver.

but no we arent paying Morton like a #1 receiver

a 5 million dollar signing bonus(iirc) and a 2-3 million per year salary is not #1 receiver money IMO.

Logical
11-23-2004, 11:15 PM
your right.. the problem isnt really morton or kennison, it's that that we need a true #1 receiver.

but no we arent paying Morton like a #1 receiver

a 5 million dollar signing bonus(iirc) and a 2-3 million per year salary is not #1 receiver money IMO.

I think that qualifies as #1 WR money. I did not say top 10 WR money. I could be mistaken.

dtebbe
11-23-2004, 11:16 PM
I actually think Kennison is a value for what we are paying him. He's not a #1 guy, but he's not being paid like one either. I think Eddie is producing well. For that matter I think Morton is also playing well the past few weeks. He did have that one easy drop last night, but Moss and TO drop easy ones every once in a while too.

DT

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 11:20 PM
I actually think Kennison is a value for what we are paying him. He's not a #1 guy, but he's not being paid like one either. I think Eddie is producing well. For that matter I think Morton is also playing well the past few weeks. He did have that one easy drop last night, but Moss and TO drop easy ones every once in a while too.

DT

Absolutely. I don't know how much Hines Ward is getting paid but Morton has better stats than him this year.

Miles
11-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Absolutely. I don't know how much Hines Ward is getting paid but Morton has better stats than him this year.

It doesnt matter if mortons stats are better. Hines Ward is one of the better WRs in the game.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2004, 11:31 PM
I think that qualifies as #1 WR money. I did not say top 10 WR money. I could be mistaken.
yea... maybe

low-end #1 money next year when his salary goes up to 3 million

but the signing bonus is definately not #1

i wouldnt be surprise to see us cut morton instead of paying him 3 million

3 million cut ... 3.2 left of the signing bonus(estimation) left to count against cap

cutting him after june 1st could save us a couple million.

we'll see

IMO 5 million SB for 7yrs is about right for morton IF his base yearly salary stays around or below 2 million.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 11:38 PM
It doesnt matter if mortons stats are better. Hines Ward is one of the better WRs in the game.

Then we should be happy to have a guy that is out-producing him.

Logical
11-23-2004, 11:43 PM

Not necessarily. Ward is having a bad year partially because the Steelers have changed their offense to compensate for a rookie QB and partially because the pass first offense was not working out for them.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Not necessarily. Ward is having a bad year partially because the Steelers have changed their offense to compensate for a rookie QB and partially because the pass first offense was not working out for them.

Good point. I wouldn't say Morton or Ward are having "bad years" though.

Rausch
11-23-2004, 11:53 PM

He isn't. Ward catches 99 out of 100 balls thrown his way. And he's faster. And a better blocker. And he can get open...

Hammock Parties
11-23-2004, 11:55 PM
He isn't. Ward catches 99 out of 100 balls thrown his way. And he's faster. And a better blocker. And he can get open...

I didn't say Morton was better. But he IS out-producing him.

People need to stop bitching about our wide receivers. They're fine.

Rausch
11-23-2004, 11:57 PM
I didn't say Morton was better. But he IS out-producing him.

People need to stop bitching about our wide receivers. They're fine.

No, they aren't.

And Morton is not playing better than Ward, he's just got better numbers. Which doesn't mean $#it.

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 12:01 AM
I will just add that Morton has made some pretty tough catches this year. IMHO he is playing his best football as a Chief and is looking more like his Detroit self. I do not think I would cut him. But we do need a true #1 threat.

Rausch
11-24-2004, 12:03 AM
I will just add that Morton has made some pretty tough catches this year. IMHO he is playing his best football as a Chief and is looking more like his Detroit self. I do not think I would cut him. But we do need a true #1 threat.

Problem is, he isn't a playmaker. He's a possession WR at this point with inconsistent hands.

Inconsistent play is THE reason this season has sucked arse...

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Inconsistent hands?

He has fewer than five legitimate drops this year.

Yes, he is a posession WR. There's nothing wrong with that. He's doing his job as the posession WR. Kennison is doing his job as the deep threat.

I really don't understand all this hatred toward our WRs. They have not dropped many passes at all this year.

There are only five teams with two WRs in the top 28 in yards....

Indy
Green Bay
Denver
St. Louis
KANSAS CITY

That's damn good company. And Gonzalez makes 3, making KC the ONLY team besides Indy with 3.

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 01:05 AM
I am looking for a site that lists stats including passes dropped. I would like to see how our Receivers are doing compared to others.

the Talking Can
11-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Morton was awesome in New Orleans...he took "stupid" to whole new levels.

We need a new WR, but the defense is still a bigger priority.

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 01:18 AM
I am looking for a site that lists stats including passes dropped. I would like to see how our Receivers are doing compared to others.

Good luck finding one.

I've watched every game this year and made a note of the drops....Monday night was an aberration, not the norm.

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Good luck finding one.

I've watched every game this year and made a note of the drops....Monday night was an aberration, not the norm.

I remember this same thing came up last year and somebody posted a site but damned if I can remember what it was. My google efforts didn't pan out so good.

tk13
11-24-2004, 01:38 AM
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/index.asp

There you go boys and girls, all the stats you'd ever want to see for the Chiefs....

tk13
11-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Believe it or not, Johnnie Morton is 3rd in the league among WR's in "passes targeted and caught", catching 75% of balls deemed "targeted" at him. The only two WR's ahead of him are Hines Ward and Derick Armstrong of the Texans (who only has 25 receptions).

In reality Morton's 15th overall, but most of the people ahead of him are running backs.... that's pretty damn impressive.

tk13
11-24-2004, 01:50 AM
Johnnie Morton is also tied for 3rd in the entire NFL in "1st down receptions on 3rd down".

Even more amazing, Johnnie Morton leads the entire NFL in "1st down catches on 3rd and long" (which by Stats, Inc. is deemed anything 3rd and 8 or greater)....

I sure hope his agent isn't reading the board, he's going to be asking for a pay raise. :)

Miles
11-24-2004, 01:54 AM
That site is badass TK. Thanks :thumb:

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 01:56 AM
TK13 to the resue. Suck my baows! Morton for Prez!

tk13
11-24-2004, 02:00 AM
That site is badass TK. Thanks :thumb:
Yeah you can find all kinds of crazy stuff on here. For instance Trent Green is 1st in the NFL in QB rating in 3 WR sets (120.1)....

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Yeah you can find all kinds of crazy stuff on here. For instance Trent Green is 1st in the NFL in QB rating in 3 WR sets (120.1)....

I noticed he wasn't in the top 15 in QB rating inside the 20 or 10. :(

tk13
11-24-2004, 02:06 AM
We do have a lot of "stuffs" (negative rushing plays) by the defense... more than New England and Pittsburgh... problem is we allow too many long runs.

Looking at it, Fujita is first on the defense in tackles, 2nd in sacks, and 1st in run plays stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Believe it or not Holliday is 2nd on the team in the "stuffs" category.

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 02:15 AM
Believe it or not, Johnnie Morton is 3rd in the league among WR's in "passes targeted and caught", catching 75% of balls deemed "targeted" at him. The only two WR's ahead of him are Hines Ward and Derick Armstrong of the Texans (who only has 25 receptions).

In reality Morton's 15th overall, but most of the people ahead of him are running backs.... that's pretty damn impressive.

It also says he has 0 drops. Kennison has 1 and Dante has 3. Don't think that info is accurate.

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 02:22 AM
It also says he has 0 drops. Kennison has 1 and Dante has 3. Don't think that info is accurate.

They must have pretty high standards for what constitutes a drop.

Regardless, our receivers are getting open and catching the ball. They have not dropped many passes AT ALL. Morton has been killer on third down.

But going out and getting a #1 WR (and I doubt there is going to be one available) is wasted cap dollars that should be spent on defense.

tk13
11-24-2004, 02:22 AM
Ehh, I know that sounds weird, but this is Stats. Inc.... that's not some fluff company. They are pretty well respected. The only stats organization that might be better is Elias, I don't know what statisticians think. I do know Stats Inc. supplies ESPN with the stats they use on their website....

My guess is they are pretty conservative on calling something a "drop"... which is why I used the "passes targeted and caught" stat.

Miles
11-24-2004, 02:23 AM

From past observation I think the "drops" stat is very conservative. It doesnt include balls that should have been caught or ones where there was a defender near applying pressure. I think its flat out drops from a wide open reciever being hit in the hands.

For instance TO only has 3 recorded drops but i have seen him drop a ton of passes this season due to bad hands. The same goes for Darell Jackson who only has 6 but he has botched an an unbelievable amount of passes this season.

Hammock Parties
11-24-2004, 02:29 AM
My guess is they are pretty conservative on calling something a "drop"... which is why I used the "passes targeted and caught" stat.

And that is why all the Morton haters can suck my baows.

:cuss:

2bikemike
11-24-2004, 02:36 AM
Ehh, I know that sounds weird, but this is Stats. Inc.... that's not some fluff company. They are pretty well respected. The only stats organization that might be better is Elias, I don't know what statisticians think. I do know Stats Inc. supplies ESPN with the stats they use on their website....

Yeah I know the drop stat could be very subjective. In Mortons defense he has made some very difficult catches in clutch 3rd down situations. I am not unhappy with his performance this year.

I do agree with a lot of posters about needing a true #1 WR and both Morton and Kennison are getting to the point in there carreers where productivity typically drops off. Not sure how long they will last. JM takes pretty good care of himself and may last a little longer than some.

grandllama
11-24-2004, 04:21 AM
No, Morton is a brand of prefabricated metal building.

CHIEF4EVER
11-24-2004, 05:25 AM
We do have a lot of "stuffs" (negative rushing plays) by the defense... more than New England and Pittsburgh... problem is we allow too many long runs.

Looking at it, Fujita is first on the defense in tackles, 2nd in sacks, and 1st in run plays stopped behind the line of scrimmage. Believe it or not Holliday is 2nd on the team in the "stuffs" category.

I'd like to see Holliday "stuffed" into the first thing smoking out of KC. :mad:

Chris Meck
11-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Guys, guys, guys.

I think we need to keep our eye on the ball here.

This offense, when healthy, is still entirely of a Super Bowl contention level. YES, only when Priest Holmes is in the game, but for cryin' out loud, Priest is one of the best players in all of football. I don't think it's really incriminating that we're better WITH him than without.

It's true that Morton and Kennison COULD be upgraded; it's also true that they're serviceable. Furthermore, we DID make an attempt to address the future of those positions in the draft last year. AND we were planning on having the new wrinkle of Wilson, which due to injury hasn't happened. AND we lost Boerigter, who looked like he was going to challenge for a starting spot, #3 at the least.

The big worries on the offensive side of the ball should be the age of Roaf and Shields, and the health/retirement questions of Holmes.

A top ten defense and we're probably undefeated right now. It's the DEFENSE, STUPID! We need LB's, a FS, and a top notch corner! We need another offseason to continue the development of Allen and Siavii!

This offense is FINE. As long as Priest returns next season, it'll be BETTER, due to the addition of Wilson, return of Boerigter, development of Parker, etc. As long as Roaf and Shields don't slow down appreciably, it's fine for one more year.

I'd re-sign Blaylock, though, if at all possible.

Chris