PDA

View Full Version : Playstation II DMS4 Mod Chip - What do you guys know about them?

KCWolfman
11-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I am thinking of getting a DMS4 Pro Mod chip for 55.00. I have a bunch of Asian DVD's that I collect that don't play on region I players. With the mod chip, I can watch a DVD on my larger television region free. Is it worth it, does it cause any issues with the games I currently have?

SpitLightning
11-25-2004, 10:56 AM
becarefull

I modded one of my ps2's and i couldnt go online and game with it, since i added the the chip i can now play burnt copies of games but i cant go online with it so you have your pos and neg's if you have 2 than i would say go for it

peace
Spit

KCWolfman
11-25-2004, 11:04 AM
becarefull

I modded one of my ps2's and i couldnt go online and game with it, since i added the the chip i can now play burnt copies of games but i cant go online with it so you have your pos and neg's if you have 2 than i would say go for it

peace
Spit
I don't play burnt games or play online. I heard about the issue with online gaming, but thanks for confirming.

Demonpenz
11-25-2004, 11:08 AM
does it require soldering?

KCWolfman
11-25-2004, 11:25 AM
does it require soldering?
Yes

ZootedGranny
11-25-2004, 01:43 PM
If you're only going to be using it for DVDs, I recommend looking for a standalone region free player.

One of the problems with the PS2 is that the laser tends to burn out over time, especially viewing DVDs. It's not true of all of them, as mine has worked perfectly for a few years now. But two friends have had their lasers burn out and they would fail to read any discs.

If you already have a standalone player, I'd first look on the web to see if there are codes to make it region free. I had an older player that became region free after a sequence of button presses on the remote.

If you can find it, look for the Phillips 727, as it can be found in the $50-60 range, and it can be made region-free. You can hit the forums at www.dvdtalk.com to check their recommendations for other region-free players.

Eleazar
11-25-2004, 03:36 PM
I've heard of the same problem with xbox, in reference to what Zooted says about the lasers wearing out over time if they are modified to play burned games and such. There are sites where you can buy replacement lasers for $20 or so, but it also requires soldering to fix that.

ZootedGranny
11-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the Xbox has the same problem, but it even extends to retail games where the drive has to read a lot of info quickly, like Fable and Rallisport Challenge 2. It mostly happens with early version Xboxes with the Thompson brand drive, but it also happens with others.

Fortunately for me, you can run games off of the hard drive in the Xbox, saving a lot of wear and tear on the laser.