PDA

View Full Version : Carter: Electrifying Martyball

tk13
11-26-2004, 02:18 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10272942.htm

Electrifying Martyball
Schottenheimer puts some lightning in these Chargers

By IVAN CARTER
The Kansas City Star

In one short span during San Diego's 43-17 whipping of the New Orleans Saints two weeks ago, the Chargers successfully executed a fake punt, ran a reverse and ran a double reverse.

The Chargers, who enter Sunday's game against the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium with a 7-3 record, also have employed halfback passes this season, passes off a reverse and direct snaps to running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

To any Chiefs fan who remembers the days when Marty Schottenheimer's offense basically consisted of Donnell Bennett blasting behind Tim Grunhard for 2 yards followed by a Kimble Anders swing pass for 4, seeing such skullduggery has to be a shock to the system.

Has Martyball become … fun?

“I wouldn't say that I've necessarily changed,” Schottenheimer said. “All of the things we've utilized have been available in the past. I think the way you go about it might be a little different but it's just a matter of looking for opportunities and then if you feel comfortable about the opportunity, you take a shot with it. We've done all these things before … the throwback passes off of punts, reverses … so it's not really different.”

Perhaps the biggest change is that just about everything seems to be working for a San Diego team that in recent seasons could do little right other than hand the football to Tomlinson.

For starters, quarterback Drew Brees is playing the best football of his career. Brees, who was in danger of losing his job when the Chargers spent a first-round pick on Philip Rivers in last April's NFL draft, has completed 64.5 percent of his passes with 19 touchdowns and three interceptions while compiling a passer rating of 105.6.

And despite a persistent groin injury that has limited Tomlinson, the Chargers rank second in scoring, putting up an average of 28.5 points per game. San Diego has gone over 34 points in four games.

For Schottenheimer, for whom a good drive consisted of two first downs and a punt, such offensive explosiveness is clearly a sign of a new approach.

“The way the rules are set up, you spin your wheels playing Martyball,” said Schottenheimer, who has 172 career victories. “It's a thing of the past. The rules are designed to throw the ball. It's like we're back in the American Football League.

“In this business, as a coach, you find what people do best and that's what you do. For years it was Martyball. It isn't anymore. But you still have to stop the run to win in this league. And you have to hang on to the ball.”

The Chargers have stopped the run this season. They rank first in the NFL in rush defense, allowing a paltry 76 yards per game, and they're also taking care of the football. San Diego has eight more takeaways than giveaways.

The interesting twist is that because Brees is playing mistake-free, Marty-style football, offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has more freedom to open up the playbook and at times, get funky.

Of course, it helps that everyone around Brees, from a rebuilt offensive line that features five new starters from last season, to tight end Antonio Gates to wide receiver Keenan McCardell, is making plays.

That wasn't the case last season when the offensive line was in tatters and Brees couldn't find an open receiver with a satellite tracking system.

“There is no player on an offensive football team who has a greater impact on how you play as an offense than the quarterback,” Schottenheimer said. “But at the same time there is not a player on that offense who can be adversely affected by the play of others around him.”

Another factor that has contributed to San Diego's success, and one that can't be quantified by statistical analysis, is that the Chargers seem to be having fun. In past years, the Chargers always seemed to be waiting for something bad to happen and much of started with Brees, who appeared to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Now, according to Gates, the atmosphere is far different.

“We're just cutting loose, having fun and playing football,” Gates said.

“We listen to our coaches, pay attention to our assignments, take care of the football and make plays. It's not all that complicated.”

Martyball never has been.

Demonpenz
11-26-2004, 02:28 AM
**** marty he didn't try that shit in any of his time here

dtebbe
11-26-2004, 08:57 AM
I bet Marty is getting some stray on the side. That is usually a life changer for folks his age.... he probably has a whole new outlook on life and football. ROFL

DT

nomad
11-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Marty has nothing to do with the offense, it's Cam Camerons baby with a lot of credit to Brees for executing his plays.

SD offense is a lot like KC in that TE Antonio Gates is a monster (Gonzales), LaDanian Thomlinson is a great back (Priest). What they've added is a dependable WR (MCardell).

Oh, and finally, they have a number of young defensive players they have added over the past couple of years thru the draft that can actually play, unlike our Chiefs who have failed miserably in building a defense whether it be draft or FA.

Therein lies the difference between ASCENDING (SD) and DESCENDING (KC) teams.

the Talking Can
11-26-2004, 09:01 AM
yeah, San Diego is brilliant....the QB who is taking them to the playoffs is leaving next year....they'll be starting a rookie....that's geenyus

BreesLightning
11-26-2004, 09:32 AM
yeah, San Diego is brilliant....the QB who is taking them to the playoffs is leaving next year....they'll be starting a rookie....that's geenyus

Ummmm.......Yeahhh

Skip Towne
11-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Rivers won't be a rookie next year.

RNR
11-26-2004, 09:47 AM
yeah, San Diego is brilliant....the QB who is taking them to the playoffs is leaving next year....they'll be starting a rookie....that's geenyusYou are using a little 20-20 hindsight there. That kid took off this year, nobody blamed them for looking QBOF. The trade the pulled off with NY was pretty sweet. I don't think there was a single person who thought Bresse (sp) would play this well, kind of hard to plan for flukes.

the Talking Can
11-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Rivers won't be a rookie next year.

he won't have played a single down.....adios to the playoffs

MichaelH
11-26-2004, 10:57 AM
SD offense is a lot like KC in that TE Antonio Gates is a monster (Gonzales), LaDanian Thomlinson is a great back (Priest). What they've added is a dependable WR (MCardell).

Oh, and finally, they have a number of young defensive players they have added over the past couple of years thru the draft that can actually play, unlike our Chiefs who have failed miserably in building a defense whether it be draft or FA.

Therein lies the difference between ASCENDING (SD) and DESCENDING (KC) teams.

But some here said MCardell is old and washed up. :rolleyes:

:)

Rausch
11-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Wow. It's like the ex that get's her $3it together AFTER you dump her.

Then she's got different hair, breast implants, a good job, and while you're making small talk she orders and delivers a beer to her present b/f.

You really should be happy for her, but instead you're just ****ING PISSED OFF she decided to put her brain right-side-up NOW....

OCChargerFan
11-26-2004, 11:48 AM
"he won't have played a single down.....adios to the playoffs "

Sort of like this year for you eh?

Seriously though, our Offensive Line is making everything click this year.
I was bashing Brees last year as much as the next Charger fan and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. It's amazing how when you have time to throw the ball and weapons to throw the ball to how good you look.

PunkinDrublic
11-26-2004, 11:53 AM
It may not happen this week but the chargers will eventually get exposed for the frauds they are. It's obvious they've gotten by on a weak schedule. They are a much improved team and all you can do is beat the teams they put on your schedule. The Chargers aren't the pushovers that everybody is used to seeing but they have a lot to prove before being an elite AFC team.

Rausch
11-26-2004, 11:56 AM
"he won't have played a single down.....adios to the playoffs "

Sort of like this year for you eh?

Seriously though, our Offensive Line is making everything click this year.
I was bashing Brees last year as much as the next Charger fan and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. It's amazing how when you have time to throw the ball and weapons to throw the ball to how good you look.

I was going to ask about that. Last year your line was poop.

Did you sign/draft some guys in the offseason or is it just guys you already had comming together and stepping up?

OCChargerFan
11-26-2004, 12:00 PM
Of course we do, since there are only 2 "elite" AFC teams, we'll have some work to do. Nobody is saying we're going to win the Super Bowl.
Please quit the weak schedule thing too. We've been DESTROYING the weaker teams on our schedule, not barely squeaking by. Our three losses have been by 17 points combined. We haven't been blown out this year.

Rausch
11-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Of course we do, since there are only 2 "elite" AFC teams, we'll have some work to do. Nobody is saying we're going to win the Super Bowl.
Please quit the weak schedule thing too. We've been DESTROYING the weaker teams on our schedule, not barely squeaking by. Our three losses have been by 17 points combined. We haven't been blown out this year.

Someone said you've scored the second most pts in the NFL at work yesterday. That stupifies me. 'Zat right?

OCChargerFan
11-26-2004, 12:11 PM
"I was going to ask about that. Last year your line was poop.

Did you sign/draft some guys in the offseason or is it just guys you already had comming together and stepping up"

Yeah, we were awful last year and the year before and so on.

We signed Roman Oben and Mike Goff as FA, they're not really Pro-Bowl caliber guys but they're solid, durable veterans that provide alot of leadership. Toniou Fonoti was hurt last year and came back this year, he is by far our best run blocker and is turning into a Pro-Bowl caliber guard. We have a rookie at center and a rookie at RT, both have been very pleasant surprises especially since the RT Shane Olivea was a 7th round pick, he's started every game and has shut out some very good pass rushers.

The most important improvement and I know you guys can relate to this, is that they have started all but one game together. They have a great chemistry and have been injury free. Continuity on the offensive line is so important. Sorry, that was kind of long :)

the Talking Can
11-26-2004, 12:13 PM
The most important improvement and I know you guys can relate to this, is that they have started all but one game together. They have a great chemistry and have been injury free. Continuity on the offensive line is so important.

yup, consistency is the hardest thing to achieve in this league with injuries and FA....which only adds to my sense of pain of what we've waisted in KC...not only 3 years of Priest Holmes but 3 years of dominating OL play....sigh

Rausch
11-26-2004, 12:15 PM
yup, consistency is the hardest thing to achieve in this league with injuries and FA....which only adds to my sense of pain of what we've waisted in KC...not only 3 years of Priest Holmes but 3 years of dominating OL play....sigh

I wouldn't say wasted, I'd say it hasn't been taken advantage of, YET...

OCChargerFan
11-26-2004, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I'm just as surprised too as you are. Everything is clicking right now. We're very efficient but we have the ability to put 14 points on the board in minutes. We're not really getting any defensive scores either which is kind of weird now that I think about it.

Changing the subject a bit, do you guys think you'll get a sellout on Sunday. You guys are the best fans in the NFL, IMO, but just wondering if interest is starting to wain a little bit.

OCChargerFan
11-26-2004, 12:20 PM
It sems like so many teams this year have been hit with major injuries. We've been extremely lucky to be injury free (knock on wood) LT has been hobbled the last month and a half with the groin but luckily we've figured out how to win without him carrying the load.

the Talking Can
11-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I'm just as surprised too as you are. Everything is clicking right now. We're very efficient but we have the ability to put 14 points on the board in minutes. We're not really getting any defensive scores either which is kind of weird now that I think about it.

Changing the subject a bit, do you guys think you'll get a sellout on Sunday. You guys are the best fans in the NFL, IMO, but just wondering if interest is starting to wain a little bit.

it will close enough to call a sell out, but if the Chiefs start to screw up people will disappear by the 4th...the stadium was half empty against the Patriots and we had a chance to win in the 4th

the Talking Can
11-26-2004, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't say wasted, I'd say it hasn't been taken advantage of, YET...

I hear ya, but this year has me down on the whole franchise....

Rausch
11-26-2004, 12:22 PM
it will close enough to call a sell out, but if the Chiefs start to screw up people will disappear by the 4th...the stadium was half empty against the Patriots and we had a chance to win in the 4th

Nothing pisses me off more...

PunkinDrublic
11-26-2004, 12:22 PM

Like I said you can only play the teams they put on your schedule but unfortunately for you the Chargers haven't been truly tested. Don't be suprised if you end up getting blown out in the playoffs by a team like Pittsburgh. Hey I could be wrong but the Chargers are on the verge of being exposed and it may not come this week but it's coming.

Rausch
11-26-2004, 12:24 PM
I hear ya, but this year has me down on the whole franchise....

We'll, we're a helluva' lot closer to a championchip now than we were year one or two under DV. And with another year under Gun to add HIS type of FA/Draft pics I'll feel a lot better about what we can do on that side of the ball.

Hell, it took DV two years to clean out Gunther's type of player and put his in. It'll take a little while for Gun to get his type of defensive players here in KC as well.

PunkinDrublic
11-26-2004, 12:26 PM

I think the stadium will still be full of red. Even though the Chiefs have underachieved all season the offense is still fun to watch. Although he's thrown a couple INTs the last couple of weeks he still puts up good numbers plus Tony Gonzalez is an exciting player to watch.

the Talking Can
11-26-2004, 12:31 PM
We'll, we're a helluva' lot closer to a championchip now than we were year one or two under DV. And with another year under Gun to add HIS type of FA/Draft pics I'll feel a lot better about what we can do on that side of the ball.

Hell, it took DV two years to clean out Gunther's type of player and put his in. It'll take a little while for Gun to get his type of defensive players here in KC as well.

I dunno know, that's my problem....I thought we were moving in the right direction in all phases...but now, in our 4th year of DV, things look like they're regressing....our draft picks just aren't performing like they should, our Offense is starting to show its age, and we've got money tied up in a lot of bad players: Barber, Holliday, Sims, Browning, Hicks, Woods, Bartee, LJ....Roaf is near the end, Holmes finishes another year on the IR, our WRs eat dick, and Blaylock isn't under contract....

and CP is still making the personel decisions....aside from a flashy 13-3 season last year we haven't won a playoff game in 12 years, that makes us a lot like Detroit and the Bengals....

damn, I'm going outside and look for the sun...

RNR
11-26-2004, 12:41 PM

Ok I am a little confused it took 2 years to clean out Guns type of players, so you you need 2 more years to get Guns type of players back to get better :hmmm: :)

OCChargerFan
11-26-2004, 01:49 PM
"Like I said you can only play the teams they put on your schedule but unfortunately for you the Chargers haven't been truly tested. Don't be suprised if you end up getting blown out in the playoffs by a team like Pittsburgh. Hey I could be wrong but the Chargers are on the verge of being exposed and it may not come this week but it's coming"

You seem like a reasonable guy but that statement is absurd. Exposed for what? When exactly is it coming? It just sounds to me like you're bitter about something. Why all the animosity? How do you know we'll get blown out if we play them in the playoffs? We haven't played them yet. I'd love to get a shot at those guys because I don't think they're that much better than we are.