PDA

View Full Version : Latest Ivan Carter Q&A

Deberg_1990
11-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Hmm......the part about Greg Robinson not wanting Donnie Edwards should get a few nice reactions around these parts......

Q.

Ivan, I have noticed that most of the other teams have rookies or other young players contributing each and every week. The Chiefs don't for the most part, Jared Allen is the only one. Do they not evaluate talent very well? I think it is time for a regime change. We need to get rid of both Carl Peterson and Dick Vermeil and get a fresh look at the team.
Jerome, Springfield, MO 11/23/04

A.

You are totally correct. Jared Allen is the one young player who has flashed playmaking ability. As a pass rusher. He still gets pushed around some in the run game and has been on the field for some of the opponent's big runs but that's to be expected with a young guy. My guess is that he'll put on at least another 10 pounds or so and become a solid pass/run defensive end. The other defensive draft picks have not been true, consistent difference makers. Ryan Sims has flashed playmaking ability but has yet to consistently dominate a game the way a young Warren Sapp did. Kawika Mitchell is obviously struggling. Scott Fujita is what a fifth round pick should be: solid but not dominant. Based off what I've seen on the practice field and in some parts of games, I think Julian Battle will be a player but of course, that opinion means nothing until he actually makes a few big plays. Don't know enough about Key Fox yet. Eddie Freeman and Eric Downing are no longer with the team so I guess you can say that those were bad picks. Bottom line: the last true impact defensive draft pick who has surpassed his draft position is Greg Wesley (third round, 2000).
Ivan Carter 11/24/04

Q.

Sad Chiefs Fan in Iowa. Ivan I will keep this topic up until I get a response just to satisfy my ego. Look at the trickle down effect of loosing Donnie Edwards. Great player, lost draft picks trying to replace him. Ah what is the use. The Chiefs Defense lacks talent, and if gun cannot turn this around, then I guess we need to gamble and trade the best Tight End in the league to get some Defensive players. Am I crazy?
Deano, DesMoines, Iowa 11/23/04

A.

There is no question that the Chiefs made a mistake in letting Donnie Edwards go. Carl Peterson has admitted as much. Word out of Arrowhead was that the decision was made by Greg Robinson with Vermeil's approval. Robinson felt that Edwards didn't fit his system. To replace Edwards, the Chiefs went after Shawn Barber in free agency. I think Edwards was and is the better player. The Chiefs won't be trading Tony Gonzalez, that I promise.
Ivan Carter 11/24/04