PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Edwards

blsilks
11-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Sure would be nice to have our middle linebacker back who used to lead our team in tackles and help us keep down the run.

PastorMikH
11-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I miss Maz too.

ChiefsCountry
11-28-2004, 03:11 PM
You mean Donnie as our outside linebacker?

Demonpenz
11-28-2004, 03:17 PM
MItchell is coming along nicely

Randallflagg
11-28-2004, 03:17 PM
I couldn't agree more. I have been a Chief's fan for as long as I can remember. I (and every other Chief's fan) have experienced every debacle that the management could give us. We have been promised (year after year after year) that THIS would be the year. We have watched as year after year we have become the laughing stock of the NFL. TODAY I AM THROUGH. My Son and his family live in San Diego and I have decided that today my loyalties have changed. I will now be a Charger fan. My 54 year old heart can't take any more. Every thing about this team is a JOKE. Period. From Lamar Hunt (whom I USED to respect) to Carl Peterson, they somewhere along the line, decided that putting "butts in the seats" was more important than being a winning, respected franchise. I can't take anymore bullsh*t promises. I'm tired of hearing that "we have put together a competitive team". I'm tired of playing last place schedules, going 13-3 only to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Then, getting a first place schedule next year and losing our collective ass*s. If you, the good fans of the Chiefs wish to continue to buy into this propaganda nonsense, that is, of course, your choice. I wish all of you the best of luck in the future. You are going to need it. GO CHARGERS!!! Welcome back Marty!!

unlurking
11-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I miss Maz too.
good one!

Phobia
11-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Congratulations BandwagonYes.

I'm sure you'll make a great Chargers fan this year. But, keep your eye on those Texans. You may want some of their cool gear for Christmas next year.

bobbything
11-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Donnie Edwards - 10 tackles, 7 solo. 1 INT.
Eric Warfield - 2 tackles. 0 INT. 2 penalties.

What a great decision it was to release Edwards and, instead, sign Warfield.

XXXshogunXXX
11-28-2004, 03:25 PM
I couldn't agree more. I have been a Chief's fan for as long as I can remember. I (and every other Chief's fan) have experienced every debacle that the management could give us. We have been promised (year after year after year) that THIS would be the year. We have watched as year after year we have become the laughing stock of the NFL. TODAY I AM THROUGH. My Son and his family live in San Diego and I have decided that today my loyalties have changed. I will now be a Charger fan. My 54 year old heart can't take any more. Every thing about this team is a JOKE. Period. From Lamar Hunt (whom I USED to respect) to Carl Peterson, they somewhere along the line, decided that putting "butts in the seats" was more important than being a winning, respected franchise. I can't take anymore bullsh*t promises. I'm tired of hearing that "we have put together a competitive team". I'm tired of playing last place schedules, going 13-3 only to lose in the first round of the playoffs. Then, getting a first place schedule next year and losing our collective ass*s. If you, the good fans of the Chiefs wish to continue to buy into this propaganda nonsense, that is, of course, your choice. I wish all of you the best of luck in the future. You are going to need it. GO CHARGERS!!! Welcome back Marty!!

haha...damn..changing colors,...Ive never seen that before. During the Chargers debacle last year, I didnt think once of switching. We dont want you...Stay on your own team..j/k

Hoover
11-28-2004, 03:25 PM
When Donnie was a Chief, we still sucked at stopping the run.

Spicy McHaggis
11-28-2004, 03:27 PM
In retrospect our cornerback options at the time of the Warfield signing were limited at best. I think it was more that Carl wanted a shiny new reciever in Morton that contributed to Edwards being let go.

the Talking Can
11-28-2004, 03:29 PM

hey, KC Johnny, what's up?

Spicy McHaggis
11-28-2004, 03:32 PM
ROFL

BreesLightning
11-28-2004, 03:33 PM

Hey LOSER CAN, what's up? EAT CROW you MORON!

Spicy McHaggis
11-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey LOSER can, what's up? EAT CROW you MORON!

Your smack is amazing. Really. :rolleyes:

Phobia
11-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Hey LOSER CAN, what's up? EAT CROW you MORON!

Bite me, frenchie. I demand the surrender of your entire country NOW. Be careful with that white flag. You could put somebody's eye out.

teedubya
11-28-2004, 03:38 PM

Get the fugg off of this message board, then pussy.

Sure-Oz
11-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Edwards blew but Mitchell blows even more, that guy shouldn't be anywhere near a defense.

Coach
11-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Edwards blew but Mitchell blows even more, that guy shouldn't be anywhere near a defense.

I disagree. Leave Mitchell in the run D, but please, for the love of god, someone replace him in passing downs. He cannot defend a passing down. Everytime I see a QB completing a pass to a RB, I always cringe at the time I see Mitchell coming to make the play, because he is going to overrun the damned play.

Baby Lee
11-28-2004, 04:36 PM
True dat. How sad is it that we're pining for the 'salad days' of having a merely sub-par LBer on our team, as opposed to mincing meatpeekers we now have?

Sure-Oz
11-28-2004, 04:40 PM
I disagree. Leave Mitchell in the run D, but please, for the love of god, someone replace him in passing downs. He cannot defend a passing down. Everytime I see a QB completing a pass to a RB, I always cringe at the time I see Mitchell coming to make the play, because he is going to overrun the damned play.
I was hoping Mitchell was good but damn he is ****ing horrible, the last 2 weeks he looked pathetic on a pass play trying to tackle with gay ass touching and light shoves, ****ing wrap up, that is the most annoying thing I have seen about this defense, pathetic tackling, get rid of most these losers, they aren't even backup worthy!

Baby Lee
11-28-2004, 04:41 PM
I was hoping Mitchell was good but damn he is ****ing horrible, the last 2 weeks he looked pathetic on a pass play trying to tackle with gay ass touching and light shoves, ****ing wrap up, that is the most annoying thing I have seen about this defense, pathetic tackling, get rid of most these losers, they aren't even backup worthy!
"I stopped by Arrowhead, and a gay pride parade broke out." ROFL :Lin:

Coach
11-28-2004, 04:43 PM

I agree. I was just simply stating on how the run D did, that is all.

Pass D, you won't get any arguements from me.

Coach
11-28-2004, 04:44 PM
So as my memory serves, where I think Royr17 started about wanting Scanlan to start over Mitchell's spot. Anyone wanting this to happen now?

PastorMikH
11-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Speaking of Mitchel and his poor tackling, did Warfield ever make a tackle himself of did he just slow guys up until someone else got there to make it?

Sure-Oz
11-28-2004, 04:49 PM
So as my memory serves, where I think Royr17 started about wanting Scanlan to start over Mitchell's spot. Anyone wanting this to happen now?
I honestly think it's too late for anyone on this defense to look good at all this season. It was actually nice to see Mccleon actually nail someone, that may be the only "hit" this season! We have zero talent on D, maybe 2 playmakers if that. We have alot of work ahead of us, and I think some of Gun's play calling blows, liek the 3 man pass rush??? Sure it works against us but not against anyone, it's almost like desperation out there on D, they have given up. May as well throw Scanlon in there, i bet he blows even more ass then Mitchell out there, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Skip Towne
11-28-2004, 04:53 PM
I'd give Scanlon some playing time. He got in a fight on his very first play. I like it!

Skip Towne
11-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Speaking of Mitchel and his poor tackling, did Warfield ever make a tackle himself of did he just slow guys up until someone else got there to make it?
Warfield ran along side by side with Gates for 30 yards till someone else tackled him. I bitched about it on the game thread and he did it again with Osgood within 3 minutes.

Sure-Oz
11-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Warfield ran along side by side with Gates for 30 yards till someone else tackled him. I bitched about it on the game thread and he did it again with Osgood within 3 minutes.
We have too many pussies on defense that don't want to hit a guy, they love to PUSH every player but no one wants to lay the wood or get dirty, there is alot of sand in this D's vagina!

The Bad Guy
11-28-2004, 05:04 PM

Go rot in hell, scumbag.

bricks
11-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Go rot in hell, scumbag.

ROFL ROFL ROFL that's f*ck'n funny. I love watching these kinda threads.

Baby Lee
11-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Go rot in hell, scumbag.
While I'm not about to switch allegiances, I will say that I respect the 2004 Chargers more than I respect the 2004 Chiefs. I like the 2004 Chargers more than I like the 2004 Chiefs. But then, I could say that for most of the teams in the league. SORRY FOR HAVING STANDARDS.

Sure-Oz
11-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Switching teams is selling out, you would win every season if you switched teams, wtf is the point of being a fan??

Deberg_1990
11-28-2004, 05:25 PM
While I'm not about to switch allegiances, I will say that I respect the 2004 Chargers more than I respect the 2004 Chiefs. I like the 2004 Chargers more than I like the 2004 Chiefs. But then, I could say that for most of the teams in the league. SORRY FOR HAVING STANDARDS.

I have to agree with you. I doubt that they will win more than 1 playoff game, if that, but at least they play hard.

Baby Lee
11-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Switching teams is selling out, you would win every season if you switched teams, wtf is the point of being a fan??
So long as you realize that there is a distinction between the team you support and which teams you respect. I support the Chiefs. But I neither like nor respect them.

Taco John
11-28-2004, 05:27 PM

Did this dude just hop bandwagons as they passed in broad daylight?

easymobee
11-28-2004, 05:32 PM

This is just a Charger fan in disguise.

Its a good angle, but the only good way to do it would have been to register here long before and get a couple hundred of posts under his belt first.

Problem is ... The Chargers weren't a viable fan option until last month.

hopefully he'll come back on the thread and try to "prove" that he is in fact a longtime "Chief Fan", by bringing up some old names (ie: Barry Word or Carlos Carson).

If by a .0001& of a chance that this guy really is (was) a Chief fan ... well good riddance.

I'm sure he has a Cowboys jacket in his closet somewhere.

Donger
11-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I support the Chiefs. But I neither like nor respect them.

Just curious, BL, but if you neither like nor respect the Chiefs, why support them?

Baby Lee
11-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Just curious, BL, but if you neither like nor respect the Chiefs, why support them?
Hope for many changes in the future.

And in clarification [a clarification I included in previous posts, not this one], I do not like or respect the 2004 KC Chiefs.

Sure-Oz
11-28-2004, 05:38 PM
The 2004 chiefs are a joke, from managment all the way down, I feel really bad for TRich, Gonzo, Trent and Priest, who bust their asses time and time again and get shit on constantly. That O-Line deserves better too. Atleast ST's showed some life, KR wise...

Donger
11-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Hope for many changes in the future.

And in clarification [a clarification I included in previous posts, not this one], I do not like or respect the 2004 KC Chiefs.

Understood.

And, if the requisite changes are not made in the future?

Baby Lee
11-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Understood.

And, if the requisite changes are not made in the future?
Hell if I know.

Bruce Willis made a few good films, then Hudson Hawk, then a bunch more good films. Ergo, I pay to see Willis films.

Bennifer made Good Will Hunting, then proved himself cool with Kevin Smith, . . . then he went on a tear of sh!tty, sh!tty movies. You couldn't drag me to a Bennifer film with promises of a blow job from one of his ex-GFs.

Donger
11-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Hell if I know.

Bruce Willis made a few good films, then Hudson Hawk, then a bunch more good films. Ergo, I pay to see Willis films.

Bennifer made Good Will Hunting, then proved himself cool with Kevin Smith, . . . then he went on a tear of sh!tty, sh!tty movies. You couldn't drag me to a Bennifer film with promises of a blow job from one of his ex-GFs.

That's what I'm dreading.

"Hey, we were 13-3 last year. This year was a fluke. No changes need be made."

bricks
11-28-2004, 11:14 PM

Hey yo Bad Guy, flick a tooth pick in this turds face. Razor style!

Straight, No Chaser
11-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Sure would be nice to have our middle linebacker back who used to lead our team in tackles and help us keep down the run.

He doesn't fit the profile, however he can tackle.

---->

Rausch
11-28-2004, 11:39 PM
That's what I'm dreading.

"Hey, we were 13-3 last year. This year was a fluke. No changes need be made."

Nah, that's not CP's "profile."

He likes to spend, have regular season success, stand pat. Spend, have regular season success, stand pat...etc.

chileanbolt
11-29-2004, 12:40 AM
thank u for letting our hometown boy to come home and do that for us:)

tk13
11-29-2004, 02:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10291464.htm

KC's defense never replaced Edwards' heart

JOE POSNANSKI

Donnie Edwards has been a linebacker in San Diego for three seasons now, but he still gets more fan mail from Kansas City than from fans in his hometown.

There's a good reason for that. Kansas City football fans know what it's like without him.

Three years ago, the Chiefs made the bold decision to let Donnie Edwards go. He had been the team's leading tackler four years in a row. He was a link to a Chiefs defense that was feared. Everybody fed off his energy — players, fans, everybody. But in the NFL, a team has only so much money to spend, and the Chiefs decided their money was better spent elsewhere. Coach Dick Vermeil had it in his mind to build a fabulous, unstoppable offense. Frankly, he figured someone (specifically Mike Maslowski) could do Donnie Edwards' job for a whole lot less money.

“Every team has a leading tackler,” Vermeil said after cutting Edwards loose.

So true. This is the third season without Donnie Edwards. The Chiefs have indeed had a leading tackler each of those seasons. And the Chiefs have also built that fabulous, unstoppable offense. They led the NFL in scoring two straight years, and they're third in the league this year. And you know what they have to show for it? Nothing. Nada. Zero playoff victories.

You know why?

Of course you know why.

Because ever since they let Donnie Edwards go, the defense has been a catastrophe.

“It's strange to see,” Edwards said Sunday, after he made the big interception and his Chargers beat the Chiefs 34-31. “Man, it used to be the Chiefs' defense that dominated games. You had Derrick Thomas coming off the edge. You had linebackers filling the gaps. You had safeties knocking people's heads off.”

He shrugged: “I guess it's changed.”

Oh, it's changed. It changed the day the Chiefs let Donnie Edwards go. That was the beginning of the end. I'm not saying that all the Chiefs' problems would be solved if Edwards were roaming the middle of the field. But he couldn't hurt. The guy plays hard every play, he studies film relentlessly (“He's the most prepared guy I've ever been around,” teammate Ben Leber says), he sticks his helmet in there, he leads.

In Edwards' five years as a starter, the Chiefs gave up about 20 points and 335 yards of offense per game.

Since Edwards' departure, the Chiefs defense has allowed, on average, 24 points and 384 yards of offense.

That's a big difference.

But, of course, the Chiefs' defensive downfall is bigger than just one player. The Chiefs decided to ignore the defense. In 2002, they let their best defender go. They spent all their big money on offense. In 2003, after the worst defensive season in team history, they spent their first-round pick on a running back, Larry Johnson. In 2004, after a defensive breakdown so awe-inspiring that the commissioner of the NFL himself mocked them, the Chiefs traded out of the first round and signed exactly one defensive free agent, defensive tackle Lional Dalton.

This, folks, is a pattern of non-action.

So here's what you get: The Chiefs are a defense utterly without playmakers. They have recovered two fumbles all year. They have one interception in the last four games (all losses). The last two weeks, the Chargers and New England Patriots have converted 16 of 28 on third down against the Chiefs; that's 57 percent if you don't want to do the math yourself. Whenever the Chiefs defense needs someone to step up and make a play, all you hear is the sound of crickets.

Edwards is a playmaker. He's always in on tackles (he made his 1,000th tackle on Sunday). He's always around the ball. He has scored three touchdowns in his career. Sunday, with the score tied late in the fourth quarter, he went out for a critical series.

“Get deep,” Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer told him. This has been something of a joke between these two men; Schottenheimer never thinks Edwards plays deep enough on pass plays. He's had five or six passes go off his fingertips this year.

On first down, Edwards chased after Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez, was blindsided by a blocker and had the wind knocked out of him. He could not breathe for a few seconds. He stayed in the game. Sunday was also Edwards' 100th consecutive start.

On the next play, Larry Johnson was stuffed for a 5-yard loss.

On third down, Edwards dropped way back. Green decided for some reason to throw the ball into what appeared to be septuple coverage. Edwards reached up, plucked the ball out of the air, ran to the Chiefs 32.

Seven plays later, the Chargers kicked the field goal that won the game.

Now, when was the last time a Chiefs defender did something like that?

“There were times I just looked around the stadium and remembered what it was like,” Edwards said after his star turn on Sunday. He had 10 tackles and the big interception. His team is 8-3. He feels good.

There is no doubt that a bit of Edwards' heart will always be in Kansas City. He was on television here, he was big in the community and he loved the passion of the fans. He still loves the passion.

“There were times in the fourth quarter it was so loud that I wanted ear plugs,” he told a San Diego reporter after the game. The reporter mentioned that the stadium was not even full — there were empty seats everywhere.

“That's just it,” Edwards said with a big smile on his face. “People here are just different.”

So yes, a part of him will always love Kansas City. But a part of him will always resent the team for letting him go.

Shortly after the Chiefs released him, he said: “I understand that business is business. But you will regret this.”

The Chiefs may deny it. There's a lot of denial going on around Arrowhead Stadium in this lost season. But Edwards was right. The Chiefs lost more than their leading tackler when they let Donnie Edwards go. They lost the heart of their defense.

And you know what he left behind?

A defense without heart.

ChiefFripp
11-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Well as much as I love The Chiefs, I am rooting for The Chargers the rest of the season. Although I respect what The Chargers have done this year, it's my hate for the Broncs that is driving my newfound admiration for The Bolts.
Besides, without Brees next year, this may be your only shot at a good playoff run until Rivers gets some experience.

jspchief
11-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Donnie Edwards makes plays. He may not make every play, but he seems to make a big play every game. He's always around the ball. Anyone that's still bitching about his shortcomings while watching our defense is f*cking delusional.

BigRedChief
11-29-2004, 07:59 AM
There are notany last/first place schedules anymore. There are only 2 games given out each year that are based on the teams finish from the previous season.......

BTW, I loathe bandwagon fans. nlm