PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or does Champ bailey get his ass smoked everytime I watch him?

wutamess
11-28-2004, 11:02 PM
Chad Johnson scorched him for a couple of bombs.
Horn?
And now... Porter.

Is there really a true shut down corner.
Has there been one since Neon Deon?

SBK
11-28-2004, 11:40 PM
Chad Johnson scorched him for a couple of bombs.
Horn?
And now... Porter.

Since he gets torched whenever you watch, do the Chiefs proud and watch Denver every week!

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 12:54 AM
He had to rape Gonzalez, that is the only reason he stopped him. And Tony is a freaking tight end. Didn't Kennison burn his ace for a big long catch and fumble?

Gaz
11-29-2004, 06:48 AM
The “Shutdown Corner” is a myth and has been a myth for quite a while now.

xoxo~
Gaz
Puts Shutdown CB in the same box with Bigfoot, Santa Claus and Bronco Fan hygene.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 06:55 AM
He got abused by Chad Johnson... then I think Price had fun with him. Last night was just silly. Overall, he's been fine... but he has not lived up to the hype of best CB in the league. He's still damn good, I think he just tries to do too much and relie on his speed to help him make up for taking chances. It has burned him too often in a few key games. Horn didn't do much against him.

Red Dawg
11-29-2004, 07:46 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. There is nmo such thing as a "Shutdown corner". You either solid defense as a group or you don't. One man covering one guy will not win or lose games for you. Does Pit have a shutdown corner? Does Sandy Eggo have one? Do the Packers? Does Minn? Does Philly? NO on all accounts.

ØrangeÇrush
11-29-2004, 08:03 AM
He got abused by Chad Johnson... then I think Price had fun with him. Last night was just silly. Overall, he's been fine... but he has not lived up to the hype of best CB in the league. He's still damn good, I think he just tries to do too much and relie on his speed to help him make up for taking chances. It has burned him too often in a few key games. Horn didn't do much against him.

Chad Johnson got him good, but Herndon was in coverage on both of Prices's scores. Horn was a nonfactor the whole game, and they were airing it out. Porter got shutdown in the first meeting, but this time he played him well. Bailey had good coverage for the most part, but its difficult to play corner in snow, not knowing where the receivers going. Porter had his number though last night...sucks.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 08:21 AM
Chad Johnson got him good, but Herndon was in coverage on both of Prices's scores. Horn was a nonfactor the whole game, and they were airing it out. Porter got shutdown in the first meeting, but this time he played him well. Bailey had good coverage for the most part, but its difficult to play corner in snow, not knowing where the receivers going. Porter had his number though last night...sucks.

Yeah, I couldn't recall who covered Price during those scores.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 09:26 AM
The rules have changed, there can no longer be a "shutdown corner". Gaz, as usual is right.

Your corners come in two varieties, those that try to cover the WR the best they can and those that allow the WR some latitude so that they can occassionally play the ball instead of the WR. Neither will be successful in terms of yesteryear as those that try to cover the WR will be hit with flag after flag if they do well and those that play the ball will be burnt by a WR that runs better routes.

ROYC75
11-29-2004, 09:47 AM
The theory of a shutdown corner came when a reciever had a bad day and some clown thought he shut them down.

There has never been such a thing, there has always been 1st,2nd,3rd, level of skilled CB's.

With the changing of the 5 yard rule, or rather enforcement , it has made it quite clear that there is not a shutdown corner now. No more bumping several yards downfield to alter a recievers ability to catch the ball. It use to be a good corner could could close the gap of the recievers edge, no so anymore with the enforcement of the 5 yard rule.

RNR
11-29-2004, 09:56 AM
The rules have changed, there can no longer be a "shutdown corner". Gaz, as usual is right.

Your corners come in two varieties, those that try to cover the WR the best they can and those that allow the WR some latitude so that they can occassionally play the ball instead of the WR. Neither will be successful in terms of yesteryear as those that try to cover the WR will be hit with flag after flag if they do well and those that play the ball will be burnt by a WR that runs better routes.
Yeah they started putting handcuffs on the defense in 78 (insert Oakland joke here)

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Yeah they started putting handcuffs on the defense in 78 (insert Oakland joke here)
After all, what is cornerback, but someone who wants to be a WR but isn't fast enough?

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 10:03 AM
The rules have changed and despite getting beat by Johnson and Porter, Bailey has had a big positive impact to the defense. I think he tries to do too much relying on his "speed" to make up for getting beat and sometimes it works. He got beat badly twice last night, one of the TDs he was turned around wrong... but, it doesn't erase the fact that he didn't earn his money last night.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Dexter McCleon...?

RNR
11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
After all, what is cornerback, but someone who wants to be a WR but isn't fast enough?Alot of times it is not a speed thing as much as a hands thing. In 1978 they changed to bump rule, and the hook move was made illegal, they also took away the head slap on the D-line, later allowing O-lineman to move there hands away from their body (made holding legal)

ROYC75
11-29-2004, 10:09 AM
The rules have changed and despite getting beat by Johnson and Porter, Bailey has had a big positive impact to the defense. I think he tries to do too much relying on his "speed" to make up for getting beat and sometimes it works. He got beat badly twice last night, one of the TDs he was turned around wrong... but, it doesn't erase the fact that he didn't earn his money last night.

Personally I hope he earns his money the next 5 games like he did last night . :thumb:

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Personally I hope he earns his money the next 5 games like he did last night . :thumb:

I'm sure you do.... the whole defense needs to pick it up.

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Dexter McCleon...?
Mark McMillan

KCWolfman
11-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Alot of times it is not a speed thing as much as a hands thing. In 1978 they changed to bump rule, and the hook move was made illegal, they also took away the head slap on the D-line, later allowing O-lineman to move there hands away from their body (made holding legal)
True, but to be honest, if I can sprint faster than anyone else on a team, I am working toward WR instead of CB and will work on catching if necessary. Most CBs don't make WR money.

RNR
11-29-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm sure you do.... the whole defense needs to pick it up.
I said in another post that on the 2 TDs both were perfect thrown balls, 1 he got turned but was still in good position, the 2nd was a slant which if run right and a perfect pass like last night is unstopable less a blow up hit by the saftey.

RNR
11-29-2004, 10:32 AM
True, but to be honest, if I can sprint faster than anyone else on a team, I am working toward WR instead of CB and will work on catching if necessary. Most CBs don't make WR money. It is closer than one may think, tagged CBs get over 8 mill a year. That said I would have to look but there are most likely more wideouts making top buck than DBs