PDA

View Full Version : Arrowhead Atmosphere Yesterday

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Sarcasm is the single word that best describes what I sensed at the game, yesterday. And it was great. I was sure that when the Chiefs hired Vermiel, that I'd prefer losing THIS way to losing at Martyball....after yesterday, I am sure of it. :hmmm:

I don't know what I was really expecting...but yesterday's game was actually quite enjoyable. Stay with me, here.... :spock:

It's like there was NO PRESSURE. Rather than the usual nail-biting, edge of the seat discomfort, and frustration that has so far characterized the Vermeil era in Chief's history, the fans I saw yesterday actually seemed to ENJOY the game. Many around me, seemed to be "new," at the game for the first time or were with young kids--in other words, regulars seemed to have given away their tickets, to neighbors and family members. In any event, most of them left about midway through the third quarter--to beat traffic I suspect.

From the regulars who were at the game in my section, it's really become quite comical.

OVERHEARD at Arrowhead, yesterday....as best as I can recall:
- People made bets on how many plays it would take SD to score against our Defense.
- Remarks like, "Damn, so THAT'S how a DB is suppose to defend against the pass!" when SD batted a ball away.
- During the first quarter, "Will we have to score 40 or 50 points to win today?"
- During Dante's first return, and fumble....BEFORE the fumble...."There he goes....what do you think is gonna get this one called back?"
- At half time, "Is it gonna be a fumble, an interception, or a run-back that is gonna beat us?"
- We want to see a new NFL record today; 1200 yards of combined offense by the two teams!
- LJ, LJ, LJ, LJ!!! (Sarcastically....)
- SD backin' themselves up three consecutive plays with penalties....someone says, "Don't worry Marty....our "D" will bail you out."
- With SD facing 2nd and 22, someone shouted "Who's gonna get toasted on this one?"

I guess when things have gotten so predictably sad, there IS a silver-lining. :shake:

So sad.... :banghead:

ptlyon
11-29-2004, 09:16 AM
With SD facing 2nd and 22, someone shouted "Who's gonna get toasted on this one?"

ROFL

Bob Dole
11-29-2004, 09:23 AM
That pretty much matches Bob Dole's attitude at this point.

Bob Dole just had a discussion with a Cowboy fan and mentioned that yesterday was the most relaxed Bob Dole has been watching a game all season.

LAst year, Bob Dole always felt like we had a chance when the offense got the ball for a final drive. This year, Bob Dole is wondering what kind of crap is going to seal the loss.

Chief Henry
11-29-2004, 09:23 AM
This post is so sad, but true....

BigRedChief
11-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Guilty as charged. My friend had been bugging me for tickets so it was cold and apathy wore me down and I sold them for face value. That sarcasm has been around our section all this year. Nothing new there.

NewChief
11-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Pretty much sums it up for the folks I was sitting around as well. My favorite of the day after Dante fumbled:

"Hey Dante! Why don't you shoot another commercial!?"

mlyonsd
11-29-2004, 09:29 AM
Aghhh, it's the 80's all over again.

The first game I ever took my wife to was in the early 80's and it was a season opener. We were playing the Seahawks and they had a rookie stud RB, Warner I think?

The very first play of the game from scrimmage they pitched the ball to him and he went around the left side into the clear, and down the sideline all alone.

The guy in front of us stood up and yelled "Not on the very first play!" Funny how most things in life are cyclical.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 09:31 AM

Bob Dole just had a discussion with a Cowboy fan and mentioned that yesterday was the most relaxed Bob Dole has been watching a game all season.

LAst year, Bob Dole always felt like we had a chance when the offense got the ball for a final drive. This year, Bob Dole is wondering what kind of crap is going to seal the loss.

My wife, during the game, asks me why I'm not getting upset (you know, breaking shit and cussing like a S.O.B.). I simply told her that I'd already seen this game before, so I knew exactly what was going to happen and how it would end. It's actually comforting knowing that there will be no surprises (you know, like holding on for a win) to the game when you are watching the 2004 Chiefs.

MichaelH
11-29-2004, 09:37 AM
It's nice to know that while having one of the worst seasons in history, the Chiefs can still provide lots of entertainment for our hard earned dollar. Keep up the good work Carl! :thumb:

mlyonsd
11-29-2004, 09:43 AM
My wife, during the game, asks me why I'm not getting upset (you know, breaking shit and cussing like a S.O.B.). I simply told her that I'd already seen this game before, so I knew exactly what was going to happen and how it would end. It's actually comforting knowing that there will be no surprises (you know, like holding on for a win) to the game when you are watching the 2004 Chiefs.

Another thing is this is a great year to teach the kids not to get upset at something silly like a football game. I wish somebody would have done that for me years ago.

stevieray
11-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Interesting. My section wasn't like this at all.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 09:48 AM
It's nice to know that while having one of the worst seasons in history, the Chiefs can still provide lots of entertainment for our hard earned dollar. Keep up the good work Carl! :thumb:

You know, I felt kinda cheated at first; but then I thought, "hell, I'm freezin' my ass off....watchin' an 'entertaining' offensive display, hangin' with some buds; drinkin' a few Buds (maybe I shoulda smoked some bud, too.... :p .)

It was still fun; no pressure, no drama, no disappointment....just an enjoyable, if dissappointing experience.

The worst was the 5 1/2 hour drive home became 8 hours because of white knuckle driving though snow, and three multicar pile-ups between Omaha and Sioux City on the way home. But I made it safe and sound.

And I got to listen to the Faiders beat the Donks on SNF.... :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 09:51 AM

I admire you, Stevie. You Chief's "crazies" like Belly Boy and Wierdwolf are soooooo loyal and idealistic.

We all love the Chiefs; I guess each of us handle our disappointment in different ways though. I wish I could still be optimistic, and positive at this point.

But sarcasm and humor keep me sane. Whatever works, bro. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 09:53 AM

Exactly.

Relaxed. Enjoyable. In awe of the offense; amused at the defense. ROFL

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Pretty much sums it up for the folks I was sitting around as well. My favorite of the day after Dante fumbled:

"Hey Dante! Why don't you shoot another commercial!?"

ROFL

:shake:

Dartgod
11-29-2004, 10:00 AM
That's because they were waiting for you to go over the railing again. :p

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-29-2004, 10:01 AM
regulars seemed to have given away their tickets, to neighbors and family members. In any event, most of them left about midway through the third quarter--to beat traffic I suspect.

That's EXACTLY why I was there and we left in the third quarter beacuse the kids had experienced enough cold for the day. The walk back to the truck was hellacious though.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-29-2004, 10:03 AM
That red bandaid looked pretty on the big screen Stevie!

Good to see you again.

Rain Man
11-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Another thing is this is a great year to teach the kids not to get upset at something silly like a football game. I wish somebody would have done that for me years ago.

I thought Frank Gansz, Sr. taught us that lesson.

ChiTown
11-29-2004, 10:04 AM

OMG! ROFL

Stevie, btw, glad to see you got back on that horse again. It must have been terrifying entering the Temple of Doom (Arrowhead Stadium) after the MNF incident. [Fletch impersonation]Gawd, I admire you [/Fletch impersonation]

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 10:10 AM
That's EXACTLY why I was there and we left in the third quarter beacuse the kids had experienced enough cold for the day. The walk back to the truck was hellacious though.

It was cold; I'll definitely dress in more layers for the Bronco game.

ANYONE seriously going to the Raiders game; I must have asked 30 people yesterday....vast majority said something along the lines of, "I was, but not a chance now."

I'll be surprised if the place if half full on Christmas Day against the Raiders. :shake:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 11:14 AM

Bob: how was the showing at B5? Anyone stop by, other than your regulars? :hmmm:

Phobia
11-29-2004, 11:17 AM

Clearly, your section has better fans.

RNR
11-29-2004, 11:17 AM
It was cold; I'll definitely dress in more layers for the Bronco game.

ANYONE seriously going to the R-aiders game; I must have asked 30 people yesterday....vast majority said something along the lines of, "I was, but not a chance now."

I'll be surprised if the place if half full on Christmas Day against the R-aiders. :shake:I am going to try and make it, and will drop by B-5 if I do. I am pretty sure there will be a big crowd for Oakland there always is.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 11:18 AM
So who actually gets loud and cheers when its 3rd and freaking 1? Do you think we have any chance of stopping them? I sure don't.

As far as that kind of atmosphere...yup. I patted the guy on the shoulder in front of me, and said "Oops...sorry for tackling you!". Mainly all the sarcastic and rude comments were directed towards Carl.

Dartgod
11-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Bob: how was the showing at B5? Anyone stop by, other than your regulars? :hmmm:
Stevieray (FDE), Rausch, Beer me, Jazzzlvr. I think that was it.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Stevieray (FDE), Rausch, Beer me, Jazzzlvr. I think that was it.

I almost swung by; maybe I'll try the Denver game....if that's okay. :)

Dartgod
11-29-2004, 11:23 AM
So who actually gets loud and cheers when its 3rd and freaking 1? Do you think we have any chance of stopping them? I sure don't.
I don't even get loud on 3rd and long anymore. Why waste my voice, when I know the defense isn't giving the same effort.

Saulbadguy
I'll be there for the Denver game. It would be nice to see the lot of you before the offseason.

Mr. Kotter
Clearly, your section has better fans.

"Better" or just more optimistic? :hmmm:

Dartgod
I almost swung by; maybe I'll try the Denver game....if that's okay. :)
It's public property, I can't stop you. ;)

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Drunker.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 11:24 AM
I'll be there for the Denver game. It would be nice to see the lot of you before the offseason.

I agree; we can drown our sorrows....and think up some catchy sarcastic cheers.... :hmmm:

:banghead:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Drunker.

Not with a five-six hour (turned 8 hour, due to snow) drive....no beer for me yesterday. :shake:

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Not with a five-six hour (turned 8 hour, due to snow) drive....no beer for me yesterday. :shake:
I meant the "good" fans.

RNR
It's public property, I can't stop you. ;)How else does a Oakland fan get away with showing up there :hmmm:

BigRedChief
As far as that kind of atmosphere...yup. I patted the guy on the shoulder in front of me, and said "Oops...sorry for tackling you!". Mainly all the sarcastic and rude comments were directed towards Carl.

ROFLROFL Rep, funny chit man.

Phobia
11-29-2004, 11:27 AM

They're like people who eat at buffets. They're just trying to get more value out of their entertainment dollar. If you already knew the ending to a movie, would you watch it in the theater or wait for it to come out in broadcast form?

Truthfully, I'm just making shit up now. If anybody understands and is nodding their head in agreement at my posts, you're retarded.

NewChief
11-29-2004, 11:28 AM

3rd and 1, I cheer for. When it's 3rd and over 10 (like 3rd and 23), I go ahead and go get a beer. I know that our opponents are going to score on that play.

Dartgod
11-29-2004, 11:29 AM
If anybody understands and is nodding their head in agreement at my posts, you're retarded.
Why should today be different than any other day?

Phobia
11-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Why should today be different than any other day?

Well, uh - I got nothing. I'm just thankful for people like First Down Elvis without whom, every day would be pick on Phobia day.

Bearcat
11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Through last week, I was still stressing over games, but it's a lot more enjoyable when you get over that hump and actually start guessing how they'll screw it up. :)

The Patriots game was the same way, with people leaving in the 3rd/early 4th.... heck, it wasn't even that cold.

ANYONE seriously going to the Raiders game; I must have asked 30 people yesterday....vast majority said something along the lines of, "I was, but not a chance now."

I'll be surprised if the place if half full on Christmas Day against the Raiders. :shake:

Maybe. I don't mind it being on Christmas Day... it's just that the whole Arrowhead experienced would kind of suck if no one showed up. Who knows... it might be a nice day out :shrug:

Dartgod
11-29-2004, 11:44 AM

Yep. I've already got $$$ invested so I might as well show up.

I'll be at the final game in San Diego also. Luckily we scheduled a few extra days there so it will be more like a vacation than a Chiefs road trip.

RNR
11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Yep. I've already got $$$ invested so I might as well show up.

I'll be at the final game in San Diego also. Luckily we scheduled a few extra days there so it will be more like a vacation than a Chiefs road trip.I am going to try to go, if I make I will look up and toss back some cold ones.

Den9899
11-29-2004, 11:47 AM

That knock on the noggin' probably made you think it was still last season.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 11:54 AM

I did. I also noticed to false start penalties in a row. And a delay of game not long after.

And the people where I sat cheered their azzes off when LJ scored his first TD. Not in sarcasm, but in relief.

NewChief
11-29-2004, 11:56 AM
I did. I also noticed to false start penalties in a row. And a delay of game not long after.

I imagine you also noticed the 67 yard torching of our secondary from 2nd and 23 shortly afterward?

Yeah, it was great. Cheer and feel like you're helping them out, only to have your heart ripped out when they rip us apart from 2nd and 23. Disgusting.

beavis
11-29-2004, 11:58 AM
It turns my stomach to see a defense as bad as ours. It's just bad football.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
I imagine you also noticed the 67 yard torching of our secondary from 2nd and 23 shortly afterward?

Yeah, it was great. Cheer and feel like you're helping them out, only to have your heart ripped out when they rip us apart from 2nd and 23. Disgusting.

Perhaps I don't use other people's failures as an excuse for me to give up...

Joe Seahawk
11-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Aghhh, it's the 80's all over again.

The first game I ever took my wife to was in the early 80's and it was a season opener. We were playing the Seahawks and they had a rookie stud RB, Warner I think?

The very first play of the game from scrimmage they pitched the ball to him and he went around the left side into the clear, and down the sideline all alone.

The guy in front of us stood up and yelled "Not on the very first play!" Funny how most things in life are cyclical.

Don't forget, he fumbled art the end of that 73 yard run and the Chiefs recovered, and we went on to lose by 3 points.. :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 12:03 PM
.... They're just trying to get more value out of their entertainment dollar. If you already knew the ending to a movie, would you watch it in the theater or wait for it to come out in broadcast form?....

Kinda like the "Rocky Horror Picture Show?" How appropriate is that? Eh, I see now...... :thumb:

Next time, I'm bringin' a raincoat and "toast" to the Denver game.... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 12:09 PM

I don't think most of us have "given up;" I haven't.

Maybe they'll fire CP; maybe they'll draft an impact Defensive player or two; maybe they'll sign a couple of quality WRs and other FAs; maybe our draft next year won't suck..... :thumb:

With this offense, even if two of those things happen, we'll be back to 13-3 next year....er, make that 12-4, please.

I'm on the 2006 Chief's Superbowl Party Train, anyone else with me!!!

HELL, YEAH!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phobia
11-29-2004, 12:14 PM

Thank you, Anthony Robbins. If that is the case, then why would you use other people's success to feel good about yourself?

NFL fandom is a crazy, unexplained phenomena. Some people become one with the team as though they were part of the ownership group. Others beat the team up like a red-headed stepchild. The funniest part about it is that every faction feels they are responding correctly and everybody else is wrong.

NFL fans are easily the funniest cross-section of America to observe.

Skip Towne
11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
There won't be anyone there. You gave them advance warning.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 12:45 PM
There won't be anyone there. You gave them advance warning.

Hey, Skip....you better be nice. :shake:

Saul brings some quality bud to B5, dude. :thumb:

Dartgod
11-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Saul brings some quality bud to B5, dude. :thumb:
Bullshit...

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Bullshit...

Just cause he didn't share with you?

:p

His budweiser, that is...

;)

go bo
11-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Just cause he didn't share with you?

His budweiser, that is...

;)budweiser my ass...

well, maybe not my ass... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 12:52 PM
budweiser my ass...

well, maybe not my ass... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ROFL

Rausch
11-29-2004, 12:59 PM
Thank you, Anthony Robbins. If that is the case, then why would you use other people's success to feel good about yourself?

Because I enjoy football, and the Chiefs are my team.

Of course I enjoy it less when they play like poop, but I'm not going to let it change the way I enjoy my Arrowhead experience. Just like I'm not going to let the Eagles winning ways make me an eagle fan.

As a betting man you want to do everything in your power to slide the odds in your corner. Homefield noise isn't a huge advantage, but it isn an advantage. In a season where one or two plays a game has changed the outcome I'll try and help provide that advantage.

This week it didn't give us a win, but next week it might.

NFL fandom is a crazy, unexplained phenomena. Some people become one with the team as though they were part of the ownership group. Others beat the team up like a red-headed stepchild. The funniest part about it is that every faction feels they are responding correctly and everybody else is wrong.

Agreed.

And I understand the frustration. In 95 I lost my temper and ended up staying the night at a friends house. 97 pissed me off for years. I've just decided to change the way I look at being a fan because I've changed my outlook in general.

Tony Robbins... ROFL

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Tony Robbins... ROFL

"I used to be fat, out of shape, and going nowhere. I had no goals. I was depressed....and THEN....."

ROFL

Rausch
11-29-2004, 01:07 PM
"I used to be fat, out of shape, and going nowhere. I had no goals. I was depressed....and THEN....."

ROFL

Wait a minute... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 01:11 PM
Wait a minute... :hmmm:

See what I mean; Robbins use to have it made....like us. Why'd he go and make all his millions adding stress to his life with his motivational BS?

What a Dumb Azz, huh? He could been just like me. :harumph:

Rausch
11-29-2004, 01:14 PM
See what I mean; Robbins use to have it made....like us. Why'd he go and make all his millions adding stress to his life with his motivational BS?

What a Dumb Azz, huh? He could been just like me. :harumph:

Keepin mind that we're talking about a man who's made a fortune telling people how to think.

That just amazes me...

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Keepin mind that we're talking about a man who's made a fortune telling people how to think.

That just amazes me...

I just wish I'd have thought of it, FIRST!!! :shake:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 02:02 PM

People watching is still one of my favorite past-times; it's one of the reason I love Arrowhead, it's the only reason I will ever tag along with my wife shopping....even when my presence isn't necessary.

The diversity of people at a Chief's game never ceases to amaze me. :)

Rain Man
11-29-2004, 02:58 PM
People watching is still one of my favorite past-times; it's one of the reason I love Arrowhead, it's the only reason I will ever tag along with my wife shopping....even when my presence isn't necessary.

By 'necessary', you mean 'necessary to say you don't like it and stop the expenditure', right? I'm hoping I'm not the only one in this situation.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 03:00 PM
By 'necessary', you mean 'necessary to say you don't like it and stop the expenditure', right? I'm hoping I'm not the only one in this situation.

Bingo. :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Screw shopping. Do your people watching at a bar and you can, a) sit on your ass the entire time, and b) have a 21 year old blonde with nice cans bring you beers.

Same at Arrowhead....in our section.

Our "beer girl" is a hottie. :thumb:

Calcountry
11-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Yep, if your team loses again and again it stops hurting after a while. You get to where you just don't give a damn.

Yesterday, they cut away to cover the 49ers due to a contractual obligation. This caused me to miss the final 2 minutes of the game as it was carried by the local California affiliate in NOR Cal.

Normally I would have been pissing mad, funny thing was yesterday I didn't even get upset. I said to myself, "It is better this way, I don't have to watch them go 4 and out on their last drive with a sack on 4rth down."

Anyone want to tell me how it ended?

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 03:18 PM
, I don't have to watch them go 4 and out on their last drive with a sack on 4rth down."

Anyone want to tell me how it ended?

ROFL

Actually, they went three and out....got the ball BACK, went four and out....

and there was NO game ending sack. ROFL

How's that for a silver-lining? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Skip Towne
11-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Same at Arrowhead....in our section.

Our "beer girl" is a hottie. :thumb:
Mmmmmmmm........beer girls.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Mmmmmmmm........beer girls.

Actually, I'm just making that up; our beer person is a fat old bald guy.....could be my brother. :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Any of you night crew types have similar experiences?