PDA

View Full Version : Is Denver on the outside, looking in? ....... the playoff picture.

Kylo Ren
11-29-2004, 10:25 AM
New England, Pittsburgh and Indianapolis have comfortable leads in their divisions. San Diego has a 1 game lead over Denver in the AFCW. The Jets are the top wild card at 8-3. Both Denver and the Ravens are 7-4. Who has the tie breaker? Could Denver totally miss the playoffs? I could see Denver losing 2 or 3 more games. They could lose to San Diego, KC and/or Indy.

I'm a KC fan through and through, but I'm rooting for San Diego and New England and Pittsburgh for the rest of the season. As a former New Yorker, I'd root for the Jets, but I don't think they have a real chance to go far in the playoffs. Even more so, I'm rooting against Denver, Indy and Baltimore. I want Denver to miss the playoffs. I want Indy to lose in the first round of the playoffs and I just want Baltimore to lose. I HATE Denver and I DESPISE Indy and I just CAN'T STAND the arrogance of Baltimore.

Yes, I know, the Chiefs are 3-8 and out of the playoffs. "We've got no room to talk" as the saying goes. But, with the Chiefs out, I have to root for and or against somebody. I can't just STOP watching the NFL, although that would make my wife happy.

Phobia
11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Yes. I would be anything that Denver is at home in mid-January.

Rain Man
11-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Dear lord, you have a wife?

Kylo Ren
11-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Dear lord, you have a wife? ........ and soon to have kids. :clap:

Red Dawg
11-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Lose in Cali this week then I say yes. If they win then they will have an inside track to the playoffs. I think they will lose this week and then probably miss the playoffs because they will not beat Tenn on the road and the Colts look like they will have a need to win at the end of the year.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 10:40 AM
It's entirely possible. The AFC is really tough. But, DEN can partially erase the sins of losing to the Raiduhs with a win at SD. They would then be back in the divisional drivers' seat.

This is not a SB team b/c they make silly mistakes at really bad times, but they're still good enough to win the division. This team is good enough to beat any other team, even the "elite" teams. However, they have shown they can be beaten by a "pass happy" team. Despite what we would all love to believe, teams are challenging Bailey and the Bengals and Raiders won the battle.

It's still really too early to say what will happen. It's not like SD won decisively vs the Raiders or KC the last two weeks, but the bottom line is they won. They are vulnerable and can be beaten again by DEN.

I like the way DEN's defense matches up with the Chargers' offense. McCardell is a different element and their defense is tight, but I still think DEN can beat the Chargers on their turf by 10.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 10:48 AM
DEN has 4 losses ... 2 by one point each. That stings and in both of those 1 point losses they were in FG position at the end to win it. The Q fumble on 3rd down at Jax hurt them badly and last night the elements created kicking issues, allowing the Raiders to block the punt.

It happens... so, I'm not completely disappointed with 7-4 at this point, but they need to go 3-2 at the very minimum down the stretch.

@ Chargers - can be a win
Miami in DEN - should be a win fairly easily
@ KC - tough, but can be a win
@ TN - tough road game, depends on McNairs health - toss up atthis point
Indy in DEN - extremely tough ... I'm expecting a loss

DEN needs to win the next 3 and be mentally prepared for the Titans. I'd like for DEN to have the AFCW wrapped up prior to the Indy game. A lot to ask, but it could happen.

SD plays the following schedule
DEN in SD - tough game, could honestly go either way
TB in SD - tough game, TB is playing well right now - good defense
@ CLE - should win easily
@ Indy - damn tough - will likely lose @ the dome
KC in SD - should win

The Chargers have just as tough of a final stretch as DEN. Nothing is decided just yet. I'd really like for KC to win that final week, giving DEN the AFC West crown. How crazy would that make you?

Phobia
11-29-2004, 10:51 AM
........ and soon to have kids. :clap:

Is that even legal?

Taco John
11-29-2004, 10:51 AM
Yes. I would be anything that Denver is at home in mid-January.

You're on. I've got a sixer on Denver making the playoffs then. Does that count as "anything?"

Sure-Oz
11-29-2004, 10:52 AM
I think if they lose next week they are in trouble a bit but not completely out.

Phobia
11-29-2004, 10:56 AM
You're on. I've got a sixer on Denver making the playoffs then. Does that count as "anything?"

Sure. As long as it's a sixer of anything not brewed in Golden, St. Louis, or Milwaukee.

Braincase
11-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Bailey has been exposed like an Enron Accountant.

Kylo Ren
11-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Bailey has been exposed like an Enron Accountant. :p

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 11:21 AM
.... I'd really like for KC to win that final week, giving DEN the AFC West crown. How crazy would that make you?

If losin' to the Chargers the last weekend of the season keeps Denver out of the playoffs.....I'll be cheerin' for the Chargers that weekend.

Seriously; our season is all ready over.... :p

Valiant
11-29-2004, 12:37 PM
It's entirely possible. The AFC is really tough. But, DEN can partially erase the sins of losing to the Raiduhs with a win at SD. They would then be back in the divisional drivers' seat.

This is not a SB team b/c they make silly mistakes at really bad times, but they're still good enough to win the division. This team is good enough to beat any other team, even the "elite" teams. However, they have shown they can be beaten by a "pass happy" team. Despite what we would all love to believe, teams are challenging Bailey and the Bengals and Raiders won the battle.

It's still really too early to say what will happen. It's not like SD won decisively vs the Raiders or KC the last two weeks, but the bottom line is they won. They are vulnerable and can be beaten again by DEN.

I like the way DEN's defense matches up with the Chargers' offense. McCardell is a different element and their defense is tight, but I still think DEN can beat the Chargers on their turf by 10.

Yeah and the Chiefs could be 9-2.. six of our games came down to last score... As bad as we are, we are not one of the worse teams... just badly coached and no D..

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Yeah and the Chiefs could be 9-2.. six of our games came down to last score... As bad as we are, we are not one of the worse teams... just badly coached and no D..

Well, no defense is almost half of the equation required to have a good team.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Well, no defense is almost half of the equation required to have a good team.

Havin' a QB with a brain, to go along with his atheticism is the other half. :hmmm:

;)

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 12:55 PM
I hear ya... but, Trent will get better.

Actually, I think Plummer has done very well. He will never get a fair shake on this board, but I'm not even that upset with the INT last night. It could have been caught, just slightly off. I love his desire to win and he rarely (if ever complains).

Hell, he got the ball right to Watts in the endzone on that final drive, but the rookie didn't catch it. That was a nice pass.

Overall, I think Plummer has had a fine season. Yes, he made some dumb mistakes early, but I have no complaints right now and fully expect DEN to exercise the option to retain him for the rest of his contract.

The guy is having a nice season and he is proving his doubters wrong, but again ... he'll never get a fair shake on this board and I wouldn't expect him to - it's cool.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 01:00 PM

Actually, I think Plummer has done very well. He will never get a fair shake on this board, but I'm not even that upset with the INT last night. It could have been caught, just slightly off. I love his desire to win and he rarely (if ever complains).

Hell, he got the ball right to Watts in the endzone on that final drive, but the rookie didn't catch it. That was a nice pass.

Overall, I think Plummer has had a fine season. Yes, he made some dumb mistakes early, but I have no complaints right now and fully expect DEN to exercise the option to retain him for the rest of his contract.

The guy is having a nice season and he is proving his doubters wrong, but again ... he'll never get a fair shake on this board and I wouldn't expect him to - it's cool.

Actually, truth be told....Plummer is fine; not great, but decent to good. Definitely having a good year--for him. Given a choice of Green, or Plummer in their prime.....I'd take Green though. :p

ROYC75
11-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Denver* with a possible 3 games left to lose, I don't think 9-7 is going to make the playoffs. Oh, they might get 10 wins now, maybe.Then they would probally lose the tie breakers somewhere.

Go SD, Go Chiefs and Go Indy..... dunk the Donks.

Besides, I don't think they have violated the salary any cap this year, have they ?

BIG_DADDY
11-29-2004, 01:13 PM

I sure am glad I picked up Plummer in my FFL this year I'll tell ya that much.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 01:18 PM

He has been surprisingly good. I've excepted that fact that there will be 1 moment in any given game when I shout "WTF was that?" And, as long as I keep that in mind... I think I'll be happy with the overall production.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 01:25 PM
He has been surprisingly good. I've excepted that fact that there will be 1 moment in any given game when I shout "WTF was that?" And, as long as I keep that in mind... I think I'll be happy with the overall production.

In your offense he just needs to remember he doesn't have to make plays, just do what he's asked. With your running game, bootlegs, etc. your offense provides a moble QB with every chance to look good...

ROYC75
11-29-2004, 01:27 PM

Only 1 ? Down from at least 3, he has improved .

He is having a good season stats wise.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 01:28 PM
In your offense he just needs to remember he doesn't have to make plays, just do what he's asked. With your running game, bootlegs, etc. your offense provides a moble QB with every chance to look good...

Exactly, I'm sure that's in big bold letters on every page of his playbook... stenciled inside his locker... printed on his chin strap. If not, it should be. :)

Kylo Ren
11-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Given a choice of Green, or Plummer in their prime.....I'd take Green though. :p This is obvious. Even Denver fans would agree. :thumb:

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 01:38 PM
This is obvious. Even Denver fans would agree. :thumb:

I would have no issues with Green as my team's QB. None at all. Right now, though ... I wouldn't change anything. I have no complaints about Green though. I think he's solid.

Chief Faithful
11-29-2004, 02:18 PM
If losin' to the Chargers the last weekend of the season keeps Denver out of the playoffs.....I'll be cheerin' for the Chargers that weekend.

Seriously; our season is all ready over.... :p

At this point I'm for Chargers winning the division and Chiefs get a good draft pick. The only game left that I care the Chiefs win is against Denver at home.

Mr. Kotter
11-29-2004, 02:38 PM
At this point I'm for Chargers winning the division and Chiefs get a good draft pick. The only game left that I care the Chiefs win is against Denver at home.

Exactly my thoughts.

beavis
11-29-2004, 02:56 PM
I try to be objective, but I guess I just don't see it. I think he's mediocre at best. Listening to the clowns on ESPN slob his knob all last night got really annoying.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 05:34 PM
I try to be objective, but I guess I just don't see it. I think he's mediocre at best. Listening to the clowns on ESPN slob his knob all last night got really annoying.

There's always a person or two that the announcers cling on to and rave about... I thought it was kinda funny how they kept hyping Bailey as a badass, then they'd say ... "well, I guess you just challenge him once a game" after the first TD. Then, they were pointing out the weather and how it was tough for even the best to cover a receiver in snow. It was kinda comical...

TEX
11-29-2004, 07:03 PM

I did the same with Drew Brees and he has saved my season! :thumb:

TEX
11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Denver* with a possible 3 games left to lose, I don't think 9-7 is going to make the playoffs. Oh, they might get 10 wins now, maybe.Then they would probally lose the tie breakers somewhere.

Go SD, Go Chiefs and Go Indy..... dunk the Donks.

Besides, I don't think they have violated the salary any cap this year, have they ?

That remains to be seen. Usually the CHEATING DONX get caught 3 or so years after the fact. So probably in '07, we'll hear how they violated the cap in the Bailey deal and they'll lose another # 3. Then we'll have to listen to some of their fans proclaim how it did not give them an advandage... :rolleyes:

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 08:13 PM
That remains to be seen. Usually the CHEATING DONX get caught 3 or so years after the fact. So probably in '07, we'll hear how they violated the cap in the Bailey deal and they'll lose another # 3. Then we'll have to listen to some of their fans proclaim how it did not give them an advandage... :rolleyes:

And, in '07 we'll probably still be listening to KC fans complain about Peterson and why the defense sucks. :p

TEX
11-29-2004, 08:32 PM
And, in '07 we'll probably still be listening to KC fans complain about Peterson and why the defense sucks. :p

True, but our way is just stupidity and your way is flat out cheating and stupidity. What would we have to gain and what did you have to gain? How many of us actually defend Peterson? How many of your kind actually try and defend the cheating? Is your response your latest attempt to do so? :shake:

Mile High Mania
11-29-2004, 08:39 PM
True, but our way is just stupidity and your way is flat out cheating and stupidity. What would we have to gain and what did you have to gain? How many of us actually defend Peterson? How many of your kind actually try and defend the cheating? Is your response your latest attempt to do so? :shake:

I have never defended or condoned cheating. Actually, I have said fine them or do whatever they deem neccessary if DEN or any other team is found cheating.

TEX
11-29-2004, 08:42 PM
I have never defended or condoned cheating. Actually, I have said fine them or do whatever they deem neccessary if DEN or any other team is found cheating.

Well that's good then, and IMO the right approach. Sorry I mistook your response as defending your team.

Kylo Ren
11-30-2004, 09:01 AM
I have never defended or condoned cheating. Actually, I have said fine them or do whatever they deem neccessary if DEN or any other team is found cheating. How about taking away their championship. Hey, they took the Miss America crown from Vanessa Williams. It could be done. :hmmm:

TEX
11-30-2004, 09:13 AM
How about taking away their championship. Hey, they took the Miss America crown from Vanessa Williams. It could be done. :hmmm:

No, because don't you know that the Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons) did NOT gain any advantage for cheating???? As a matter of fact, since they didn't gain any advantage the fist time, they actually did it TWICE! But again, keep in mind that they did NOT actually have an advantage over everyone who plays by the rules. I want to make that perfectly clear. :p

Just ask Taco, he'll fill you in... :hmmm:

Ugly Duck
11-30-2004, 09:30 AM
Is Denver on the outside, looking in? At this point in the season- yes. But it don't really matter none. The Donkeys haven't won a postseason game since Buck went out to pasture. And there are no indications that their misfortunes have all of a sudden changed for the better. Like, right out of the blue we would all just suddenly think they could win a playoff game or something. Yeah, right....

Mile High Mania
11-30-2004, 10:37 AM
How about taking away their championship. Hey, they took the Miss America crown from Vanessa Williams. It could be done. :hmmm:

ROFL Solid comparison!

Mile High Mania
11-30-2004, 10:38 AM
At this point in the season- yes. But it don't really matter none. The Donkeys haven't won a postseason game since Buck went out to pasture. And there are no indications that their misfortunes have all of a sudden changed for the better. Like, right out of the blue we would all just suddenly think they could win a playoff game or something. Yeah, right....

That is such a weak statement.

Brock
11-30-2004, 10:58 AM
That is such a weak statement.

It's true, isn't it? Mike Shanahan - John Elway = Denny Green.

Mile High Mania
11-30-2004, 11:28 AM
It's true, isn't it? Mike Shanahan - John Elway = Denny Green.

Well, it remains to be seen as to what will happen this season.

Shanahan has taken DEN to the playoffs twice since Elway retired and is in line to do it a 3rd time this season. No,they haven't won a playoff game since John retired, but they've been twice in the 5 years after John retired. How many teams can say they have advanced to the playoffs twice in the last 5 years?

Superbowls don't come easy and neither do playoff wins. It's only been 5 years since they won a Superbowl.

If Shanahan (minus Elway) is Dennis Green, then what is Fisher in TN or Cowher in Pittsburgh? They've been with their teams longer than Shanahan has been with DEN and they haven't had 1 SB victory between them? Are they Marty and Levy of this era?

Cowher only has 2 playoff wins since 1997.
Fisher has 2 playoff wins since 1999 and his team is going nowhere this season.
What about Holmgren? He has been with Seattle since 1999 and hasn't won a playoff game since his 98 season with Green Bay?

So,while Shanahan hasn't done much in 5 years... I'm not overly concerned when I look at his peers.