PDA

View Full Version : Who would you keep on defense?

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Here is who I would keep on the defense.

DE - Jimmy Wilkerson, Gary Stills
DT - Ryan Sims
DT - Lional Dalton, Junior Siavii
DE - Jared Allen
LB - Scott Fujitia, Keyaron Fox
LB - Monty Beisel
LB - Shawn Barber, Quinton Caver
CB - Eric Warfield
CB - Benny Sapp
SS - Greg Wesley, Willie Pile
FS - Shaunard Harts, Julian Battle

I hate to cut John Browning but he is getting up in years and is salary is going up. Hicks, McCleon, Holliday, Mitchell, Bartee, and Woods need to be shown the door. Some guys could use a position change like Battle. He was All-SEC at safety which should say something. He might come around but he could be a hell of a safety IMO. Some guys like Caver and Beisel are nice backups and great special team players.

Free Agency/Draft
#1 CB
Stud MLB
Solid All-Around DE
CB Depth
Veteran Backup DE
More Depth on Defense

KC Jones
11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Pretty good list but since we just re-signed Woods I doubt it's very doable under the cap. Maybe after June 1st?

cmh6476
11-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Warfield and Jared Allen.

To hell with the rest of em.

cmh6476
11-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Warfield and Jared Allen.

To hell with the rest of em.
maybe wesley too, but that's seriously about it. Some guys could be good, but haven't shown me any reason to believ they are this season, or last seaosn for that matter.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Pretty good list but since we just re-signed Woods I doubt it's very doable under the cap. Maybe after June 1st?

True but the same with Hicks too. They both need to go and June 1st sounds okay with me.

jspchief
11-29-2004, 12:21 PM
That list reminded me of something...where the hell is Gary Stills? I know he's in on ST, but why haven't I seen him in on blitz situations?

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 12:23 PM
That list reminded me of something...where the hell is Gary Stills? I know he's in on ST, but why haven't I seen him in on blitz situations?

Good question, him and Allen could put a nice pass rush on.

BigChiefFan
The problem with SOME of our special team players is that is ALL they do well-special teams(after this season you can't even say they do it well). We need special teamers who can actually contribute when there is a injury to a starter. Caver, Hall, Jones, ect.. are all average at best when filling in for starters.

Gaz
Warfield, Wesley, Harts, Fujita, Mitchell [hoping he can be coached], Allen, Sims, Dalton.

As far as Sapp, Wilkerson, Fox [so forth] are concerned, I have not seen enough to know if we should keep them or not.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sees too many holes and not enough corks.

Rain Man
11-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Assuming that we can realistically add one effective new starter per year, I can see our starters the next few years as follows:

2005 2006 2007
LDE Wilkerson* Wilkerson* Wilkerson*
LDT Sims* Sims* Sims*
RDT Dalton Siavii Siavii
RDE Allen Allen Allen
SLB (New player) (New player) (New player)
MLB Beisel (New player) (New player)
RLB Fujita Fujita Fujita
LCB Warfield Warfield Warfield
RCB Bartee* Bartee* (New player)
SS Wesley Wesley Wesley
FS Harts* Harts* Harts*

* Assuming he continues to improve, otherwise a stopgap free agent.

jspchief
11-29-2004, 12:25 PM
The problem with SOME of our special team players is that is ALL they do well-special teams(after this season you can't even say they do it well). We need special teamers who can actually contribute when there is a injury to a starter. Caver, Hall, Jones, ect.. are all average at best when filling in for starters.

I think that's asking for a little much. We need to get starters that are good before we concern ourselves with back-ups. A back-up playing STs well is about all I expect from him.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 12:28 PM
As far as Sapp, Wilkerson, Fox [so forth] are concerned, I have not seen enough to know if we should keep them or not.

xoxo~
Gaz

I think that is why the NFL needs a better developmental league than NFL Europe. If the NFL had a minor league where the team could send some players to get reps in and if was more like the NFL then it could be a very big win win situation for the NFL.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Also Caver was a second round pick of the Eagles, but I guess we know why they cut him now.

Chief Faithful
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Try McCleon and Bartee at safety otherwise drop them.

Drop Woods, Barber, Holliday, Browning, Jones, and Hicks.

Last chance for Caver, Wesley, Wilkerson, Fujita, Battle, and Mitchell.

Keep Allen, Siavii, Jelly, Sims, Stills, Warfield, Harts, Beisel, and Maz.

Still too green to determine are Pile, Fox, Sapp, and Scalon.

Chiefnj
11-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Keepers and their role:

Dalton (starting DT)
Sims (starting DT until replacement is found)
Browning (backup DT and DE)
Siavii( backup DT)
Allen (starting DE)
Hicks (backup DE or starter until newly acquired '05 DE starts)

Fujita (starter)
Beisel (backup)

Warfield (starter)
Bartee (4th CB)

Wesley (starter until someone develops)
Harts (backup)
Battle (backup at safety)

Stills (special teams)

That's it. If Fox can't get some snaps with the poor quality of LB play then he isn't what we expected. If Wilkerson isn't showing glimpses of playmaking ability then the hell with him.

Rausch
11-29-2004, 01:34 PM
I think that is why the NFL needs a better developmental league than NFL Europe. If the NFL had a minor league where the team could send some players to get reps in and if was more like the NFL then it could be a very big win win situation for the NFL.

What I really don't like is that certain players don't qualify for NFLE. I think players like LJ and Battle could really benefit from the playing time...

Scaga
11-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I'd keep the waterboy and scrap the rest of it....

~that's some good H2O~

Mr. Laz
11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
easier to just say who's gone... cause we got alot of guys with new contracts or just drafted etc.

gone:
Holliday
Barber
Woods (after june 1st)
McCleon

demoted to backup role or special teams:

Bartee(4th CB and special teams)
warfield(nickle)
hicks (shouldnt be on team, but just got new contract)
browning (moved to strictly DE)
mitchell (special teams)

primary defensive needs:

2 starting cornerbacks
MLB
OLB
stud DE (either side)

Scaga
11-29-2004, 02:25 PM
easier to just say who's gone... cause we got alot of guys with new contracts or just drafted etc.

gone:
Holliday
Barber
Woods (after june 1st)
McCleon

demoted to backup role or special teams:

Bartee(4th CB and special teams)
warfield(nickle)
hicks (shouldnt be on team, but just got new contract)
browning (moved to strictly DE)
mitchell (special teams)

primary defensive needs:

2 starting cornerbacks
MLB
OLB
stud DE (either side)

Ding, Ding, Ding

We have a winner.

Although I'd prolly say
1 starting CB
MLB
The other starting CB
OLB
DE

AND ANYBODY...ANYBODY...THAT CAN COVER A BOOTLEG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 02:30 PM
DE - Allen, Stills (ST), Browning
DT - Sims(reduced pay), Dalton, Siavii
LB - Fujitia
CB - Warfield, Sapp, Bartee
SS - Wesley, Pile, Harts

Everyone else should go. (exception: Beisel - ST)

Pants
11-29-2004, 02:31 PM
maybe wesley too, but that's seriously about it. Some guys could be good, but haven't shown me any reason to believ they are this season, or last seaosn for that matter.

Is you stoopid? What about Jared Allen? He is an absolute monster.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 02:34 PM
All of them. I like our guys. They are in the first year of Gunthers defensive scheme. We will continue to improve on defense, and do things better. We don't need any big name high priced free agents. We like our guys.

::ducks for cover::

shakesthecat
11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
All of them. I like our guys. They are in the first year of Gunthers defensive scheme. We will continue to improve on defense, and do things better. We don't need any big name high priced free agents. We like our guys.

BAN HIM!

Logical
11-29-2004, 02:39 PM
DE - Jimmy Wilkerson, Gary Stills
DT - Ryan Sims
DT - Lional Dalton, Junior Siavii
DE - Jared Allen
LB - Scott Fujitia, Keyaron Fox
LB - Monty Beisel

CB - Eric Warfield

SS - Greg Wesley, Willie Pile
FS - Shaunard Harts, Julian Battle

Of those I am not sold on Wilkerson (not enough progress), Stills (evidently his Pro Bowl play was an aberration), Siavii (but too early to totally give up), Fujita (I am starting to sour on him, very unimpressive this year)

But you cannot discard all the others and these as well and fill them back up in one offseason.

Saulbadguy
11-29-2004, 02:40 PM
BAN HIM!
Twas my best Vermeil/Peterson impression...

Logical
11-29-2004, 02:46 PM

I assume this was a beautiful exhibition of the fine art of sarcasm.

cmh6476
11-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Is you stoopid? What about Jared Allen? He is an absolute monster.
I quoted my original post which included Allen.

I see some aren't hip with keeping Warfield. Once again I say, he has been the biggest surprise on D and IMO has played very well this season. It's the rest of the scrubs that's killin us.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Warfield has developed into a solid #2 CB.

HC_Chief
11-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Warfield has developed into a solid #2 CB.

Tackles like a bitch.

Correction: doesn't <i>tackle</i> at all... pushes receivers 10-15+ yards down the field towards sideline like a bitch. :grr:

RedNFeisty
11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Jared Allen, and I like Siavii.

Deberg_1990
11-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Warfield, Wesley, Harts, Fujita, Mitchell [hoping he can be coached], Allen, Sims, Dalton.

xoxo~
Gaz

IM done with Warfield too guys.....sorry, 7 or 8 years of inconsistancy is enough.....

JakeT
11-30-2004, 09:53 AM
This team lacks leadership. When the D needs a big stand who fires these guys up? IF MNF had to "mic up" someone our our D who in the hell would they pick. I think this D should be dismantled started with all the seasoned veterans. Keep some of the younger guys and pray they can develop, but we need to bring in some leaders via Free Agency or Trades. Hell trade the whole draft away if we need to rookies can't fix our main issue - leadership.

Out -- Holiday, Browning, Hicks
In -- Simms, Dalton, Allen, Siavvi, Wilkerson

Out -- Barber
In - Mitchell at olb, Fujita, Beisel

Out -- Woods, Warfield, McCleon(7 years it too long he's had a great year but overall he is soft and average at best-- it is time to move on)
In - Wesley (try Bartee and Battle at Safety), Harts

Off Season Moves
#1) Get a seasoned FA MLB
#2) FA Corner
#3) Draft a CB with high 1st round pick
#4) Sign a FA DE -- draft DE

2005 Starting line up
Allen Simms Dalton FA
Mitchell, **FA Leader, Fujita
FA Corner, Rookie Corner
Wesley, Harts (or Bartee)
Nickel -- Bartee/Battle