PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Vermeil plans to stick around next year

tk13
11-30-2004, 02:15 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10298715.htm?1c

Vermeil plans to stick around

But with vague words, Chiefs' coach leaves the door open

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Dick Vermeil, whose burnout 20 years ago resulted in his departure from the game, might be tempted these days to again move on. But Vermeil said Monday that his intent was to coach the Chiefs next season and finish the final year on his contract.

“I'm planning on it,” Vermeil said. “I've said that all along.”

There wasn't, however, a lot of conviction behind those words, and when pressed whether anything could change his mind, Vermeil sounded tentative.

“I don't know that,” he said. “But right now, I'm planning to coach football.”

Last year, when Vermeil accepted Carl Peterson's offer of a new, two-year contract, he said he did so because he believed he was having a positive impact on the program.

It follows that this year, with the Chiefs at 3-8 and having perhaps the most disappointing season in club history, Vermeil might find himself part of the problem. Perhaps in being vague, Vermeil left himself an escape hatch in the event that a season gone horribly wrong gets even worse over the final five games.

But Vermeil otherwise carried on Monday very much like someone planning to coach for another season. He engaged the media in a discussion about the process of preparing for 2005.

Vermeil indicated a willingness to accept his share of the blame for this season's failures, but he also said it wouldn't be enough to make him walk away.

“I've gotten so I don't walk off the field and blame myself every time,” Vermeil said. “If anybody does that in their career, it's damaging. You may have done a (heck) of a job and got beat. I used to not be able to handle that. That's why I left coaching the first time.

“I am totally prepared to handle any criticism. I go about my business because I know what my responsibilities are. It does test you. Very few people in their lives are in professions where they get tested like this. And I know more about this football team than I did last year at the same time. I know they can handle adversity. I know they're tough. I know they care. I know they'll come back and go to work. I know they won't be perfect.”

Before getting to next season, Vermeil and the Chiefs have to get through the end of this one. The Chiefs have seen their playoff aspirations take a lethal blow because of a four-game losing streak and will play Sunday at Oakland and four more times for nothing but pride.

They faced a similar situation in 2001, Vermeil's first season with the Chiefs. They were also 3-8 that season but finished with three wins in the final five games.

The circumstances then were completely different. The Chiefs were rebuilding and expected hard times.

“We were growing and trying to implement a system on offense and on defense,” quarterback Trent Green said. “Everybody was trying to learn what coach Vermeil was all about.

“This year is more disappointing because of the expectations, the amount of players we had back, the talent we have. I don't know if anybody really thought we could duplicate 13-3. That's hard to do. But everybody felt we could have a successful year, defend our division (championship) and be a playoff team.”

With that disappointment comes frustration. One of Vermeil's biggest challenges the rest of this season might be in keeping the locker room united.

Green said that was one of his biggest concerns.

“We have 15 new guys on the team, roughly around that number, from what we had a year ago,” he said. “With that kind of mix of young and old and then the way we are struggling, there definitely can be tension. Guys' tempers are a little shorter than normal just because of the expectations and what everybody viewed or envisioned the season could be.

“That's just something the coaches have to be aware of and the players have to be aware of.”

The Chiefs are third in the NFL in scoring and third from the bottom in points allowed, making plausible a split along offensive and defensive lines. A practice-field fight two weeks ago pitting wide receivers against defensive backs could be construed as a sign that is already happening.

Vermeil said it wasn't an indication of a team divided.

“There are fights on football fields every day,” Vermeil said. “One reason we close practices is so that things that belong in-house remain in-house. Those things are not unusual. I don't ever feel compelled to report to the media that we had fisticuffs. We usually have one every other week.”

big nasty kcnut
11-30-2004, 05:06 AM
I hope he does and carl peterson leaves. let really give this team hope.

Gaz
11-30-2004, 06:43 AM
I like Vermeil and am pleased that he is my Head Coach.

I would not be surprised to see him leave after next season. And I would not be surprised to see Peterson chose to leave with him. If that happened, I wonder what that would mean for Saunders’ HC electability.

xoxo~
Gaz
Vermeil fan.

FringeNC
11-30-2004, 07:30 AM
"A practice-field fight two weeks ago pitting wide receivers against defensive backs could be construed as a sign that is already happening."

A battle of the dipshits...

morphius
11-30-2004, 07:32 AM
I expect everyone to stay next year, maybe Gun will mae some changes to his staff. Then after that, Carl, DV and friends will disappear into the sunset, unless they win the SB

MichaelH
11-30-2004, 07:36 AM
I wouldn't be upset if Vermiel stayed considering the alternatives. He needs to realize his soft and caring nature is detrimental to this football team. Also, he really needs to realize that a high powered offense doesn't mean squat if the defense can't stop anyone. He needs to learn that a team can win by scoring only 21 points, not 45.

BigRedChief
11-30-2004, 07:37 AM
I didn't like DV comment that they have the defensive players to get it done. It's all coaching.

WTF? They are going to stand pat again?

nmt1
11-30-2004, 07:51 AM
I expect everyone to stay next year, maybe Gun will mae some changes to his staff. Then after that, Carl, DV and friends will disappear into the sunset, unless they win the SB

DV will be gone after 2005 regardless of whether or not they win the Superbowl. I understand why people would think Carl would leave when Vermiel leaves but I wouldn't count on it. Carl's younger than Vermiel and despite what many think, he's run the team in a fashion that seems to please Lamar Hunt. Hunt's opinion is the only one that matters.

mlyonsd
11-30-2004, 07:53 AM
DV will be gone after 2005 regardless of whether or not they win the Superbowl. I understand why people would think Carl would leave when Vermiel leaves but I wouldn't count on it. Carl's younger than Vermiel and despite what many think, he's run the team in a fashion that seems to please Lamar Hunt. Hunt's opinion is the only one that matters.

If next year turns out like this year the fans will open Lamar's eyes.

nmt1
11-30-2004, 07:55 AM
If next year turns out like this year the fans will open Lamar's eyes.

According to many around here it can't get any worse. Why haven't the fans done anything about it yet?

mlyonsd
11-30-2004, 07:57 AM
According to many around here it can't get any worse. Why haven't the fans done anything about it yet?
IMO the tickets were already bought when our record was 0-0 and our expectations were very high.

nmt1
11-30-2004, 08:00 AM
IMO the tickets were already bought when our record was 0-0 and our expectations were very high.

Yeah, I suppose so.

BigRedChief
11-30-2004, 08:04 AM

I think people are hoping that King Carl leaves. Not really thinking its gonna happen. He may run the team in a fashion that Lamar thinks is good but I'm not interested in whether Lamar makes 33 mil or 39 mil in profit. I only care about the team on the field.

Baby Lee
11-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I didn't like DV comment that they have the defensive players to get it done. It's all coaching.

:cuss: - We need a sticky or something. This is and always has been DV's MO. Why are people still surprised?

morphius
11-30-2004, 08:27 AM
I just really think that if Carl can't get it done during his dream coaches tenure, he will hang it up.

Gaz
11-30-2004, 08:31 AM
I just really think that if Carl can't get it done during his dream coaches tenure, he will hang it up.

That is what I am thinking, as well. Peterson & Vermeil are long-time pals and CP fought to get DV here. Super Bowl or no, I would not be surprised to see Peterson hang it up when Vermeil leaves.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has mixed emotions on that point.

nmt1
11-30-2004, 08:46 AM

I agree that the possibility exists but I don't think the end of Vermiel automatically means the end of Peterson.

DaWolf
11-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Here is the rationale Lamar used when Carl signed his 5 year extension in December '00:

Peterson received the contract extension despite the Chiefs' season being one of their worst in his 12 seasons with the club. They are 6-8 and won't make the playoffs for the third straight year.

The Chiefs are still wildly popular in the community, but that is showing signs of diminishing. The Chiefs sold out all of their home games, mostly on a season-ticket basis. Crowds have dwindled for late-season games, particularly last week's contest against Carolina.

"Anytime you're 6-8, people want you to do better and I'm right there with them," Hunt said. "This decision isn't based on a 6-8 record. The overriding factor is our 12-year record. Six-and-eight is not acceptable on a long-range basis. But the 12-year record says we won't be 6-8 again next year or the year after.

"This is really about the big picture of competitive teams over a long period of time. I think we're in darn good hands and the record the last 12 years shows that."

Asked whether 12 years wasn't enough for Peterson to build a Super Bowl team, Hunt said, "We would all love to be there, but I don't think we can focus everything on whether we win a Super Bowl or not. If we can have over the next 12-year period the third-best record in the NFL, like we did in this 12-year period, we will probably win a Super Bowl here or there."

The negotiations involved Hunt's son Clark, an indication that Clark is becoming more prominent in the club's affairs.

When he arrived in 1989, Peterson helped awaken a franchise that had been slumbering for almost two decades. The Chiefs made the playoffs six times and won the AFC West three times in the first eight years of Peterson's watch.

All the while, tickets to games at Arrowhead Stadium became the toughest in the league to come by.

But the last three seasons have been mostly less than artistic on the field. The Chiefs missed capturing the AFC West title and reaching the playoffs last year only when they failed to win their final game against Oakland.

The Chiefs this season, for the second time in three years, are also-rans for the final few games.

"Even though we've had a great deal of success on and off the field for the past 12 years, we still haven't accomplished my primary goal, which is to give Lamar that trophy that bears his name," Peterson said, referring to the hardware given to the AFC champion. "We're going to continue to work toward that. I would certainly hope that even with all the ups and downs, with all the changes and free-agency and the salary cap, we can get there in five years time."

Peterson defended the last three years, saying the Chiefs haven't slipped as much as it appears.

"I know how close we've been, a field goal away from the playoffs and the division championship last year," Peterson said. "This game is very fickle. I'm a guy of perspective. I step back and look at the whole picture. That's what I get paid to do. We've been close twice, with 13-3 records and the home-field advantage. We've been to the AFC championship game and just didn't quite get it done. But I would certainly hope that within the next five years we can accomplish that.

"We've got some very talented young football players. We got younger this year by design. You have to get young in the National Football League because of the salary cap. I'm very encouraged regarding a terrific group of young players.

"I think we've got very good personnel in almost every area. You're always going to try to improve certain areas where you don't have a lot of depth or you're void completely. But when I look at this team right now, I see a lot of tremendously positive things."

link (http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/printer.pat,sports/3774fde0.c16,.html)

Now the criteria changes if 5 years later you are looking at an 8 year period under Carl with 1 playoff appearance, 1 winning record, and 0 playoff wins (7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 6-10, 8-8, 13-3, 3-8, ?). If Carl ain't winning next year then you are dealing with a different pattern than you dealt with the first 12 years. If Carl gets a contract without winning next year and without a superbowl during yet another 5 year plan, then there will be rome real explaining that Lamar will have to make on that one. I'm not sure how involved Clark is on this, but we'll see if he's got any more influence at this point. I've heard he's not as loyal to Carl as Lamar is, but that's all speculation and rumor...

Bearcat
11-30-2004, 09:41 AM
I've gotten so I don't walk off the field and blame myself every time...

...nor does anyone in the organization take the blame for anything the team has done in the last year.

didn't like DV comment that they have the defensive players to get it done. It's all coaching.

The other day he said something along the lines of "there's not 15 defensive All-Stars that are willing to come in and fit under the salary cap".... the same view that CP has. There's no middle ground with them.

Baby Lee
11-30-2004, 09:55 AM
The other day he said something along the lines of "there's not 15 defensive All-Stars that are willing to come in and fit under the salary cap".... the same view that CP has. There's no middle ground with them.
It's DV's version of GWB's "it's hard work, folks."

htismaqe
11-30-2004, 10:00 AM

Me too.

As for Gaz' earlier question, it completely erases any chance of Saunders being the next HC.

And that's a GOOD thing.

htismaqe
11-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Here is the rationale Lamar used when Carl signed his 5 year extension in December '00:

link (http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/printer.pat,sports/3774fde0.c16,.html)

Now the criteria changes if 5 years later you are looking at an 8 year period under Carl with 1 playoff appearance, 1 winning record, and 0 playoff wins (7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 6-10, 8-8, 13-3, 3-8, ?). If Carl ain't winning next year then you are dealing with a different pattern than you dealt with the first 12 years. If Carl gets a contract without winning next year and without a superbowl during yet another 5 year plan, then there will be rome real explaining that Lamar will have to make on that one. I'm not sure how involved Clark is on this, but we'll see if he's got any more influence at this point. I've heard he's not as loyal to Carl as Lamar is, but that's all speculation and rumor...

Exactly. Lamar (and especially Clark) thinks about winning alot more than people think. If we finish this season with 5 or less wins and then tank next year, Lamar may not bring him back.

KCTitus
11-30-2004, 10:04 AM
I agree that the possibility exists but I don't think the end of Vermiel automatically means the end of Peterson.

I think it does...I would really be suprised that it didnt.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm fine having Dick around. I just want Carl gone.