PDA

View Full Version : Component or DVI?

BigMeatballDave
11-30-2004, 11:31 AM
Which is better for HDTV?

Phobia
11-30-2004, 11:37 AM
DVI has that confusing, high tech acronym. I'd go with that one. Component can't be very good, it doesn't even have its own acronym.

KCTitus
11-30-2004, 11:50 AM
DVI is better...Im no HD expert, but I think it has something to do with it being able to handle the 'true' HD signal uncompressed.

Phobia
11-30-2004, 11:51 AM
DVI is better...Im no HD expert, but I think it has something to do with it being able to handle the 'true' HD signal uncompressed.

See? Always go with the acronym over the non-acronymic name.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2004, 12:13 PM
DVI.

dtebbe
11-30-2004, 12:14 PM
DVI is digital, and therefore a better option if your Monitor and Source both have it available. Component is analog, but very high quality, so much so that I doubt anyone could actually see the difference if you did an A/B comparison with all else being equal. My HD ready monitor only takes component input and it looks great with HD video in 1080i from my direcTv/off air receiver. IMHO the off air signal looks better, probably because it is compressed less than the DirecTv HD feeds.

DT

Swanman
11-30-2004, 12:19 PM
DVI is digital, and therefore a better option if your Monitor and Source both have it available. Component is analog, but very high quality, so much so that I doubt anyone could actually see the difference if you did an A/B comparison with all else being equal. My HD ready monitor only takes component input and it looks great with HD video in 1080i from my direcTv/off air receiver. IMHO the off air signal looks better, probably because it is compressed less than the DirecTv HD feeds.

DT

I think that sums it up perfectly. I use DVI from my HD DTV receiver to my tv and the picture is great. The picture is also great if you use component. Only someone with a very trained eye can notice an appreciable difference between the two.

Phobia
11-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Stop being confused by technical jargon. Just listen to my easy to understand tips.

I swear I'm going to write a book.

KCWolfman
11-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Stop being confused by technical jargon. Just listen to my easy to understand tips.

I swear I'm going to write a book.
If it is just anacronyms it should be a pretty quick read.