PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze ripoff

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I just went to the land of all things that sell for less to get antifreeze for the van. There were two types of Prestone in nearly identical jugs. One was $7.98 and the other was $7.27. Upon further inspection, I found the cheaper one was "Pre-diluted" and "Ready to Use". Pre-diluted? I've been buying antifreeze for 40 years and have never heard of such a thing. Who wants to pay $3.50 for them to put 2 quarts of water in the jug? I think I've seen it all now.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Its supply and demand, Skip. You taught me about that, I think.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Its supply and demand, Skip. You taught me about that, I think.
There's a shortage of water?

Saulbadguy
11-30-2004, 04:28 PM
There's a shortage of water?
Damn Liberal media will have ya believin anything these days.

Mr. Kotter
11-30-2004, 04:30 PM
It's for those who can't drink it straight.

You should try it on "the rocks." :)

Eleazar
11-30-2004, 04:36 PM
You can spread it out between more of the neighborhood mutts' water dishes that way.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Pre-diluted? That sounds quite handy.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Unrelated story: In my college chemistry class, one of our big test problems was to figure out the freezing point of antifreeze in different concentrations. It turns out that pure antifreeze freezes faster than diluted antifreeze, and there's a certain antifreeze/water ratio that's best. I mentioned this to my dad, who sells cars and thus uses a lot of antifreeze, and he said, "Sometimes you just can't believe all that science stuff." I thought it was kind of funny.

I also learned later that a very fine film of rust can actually strengthen some metals. True story. My dad didn't believe me on that, either.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Pre-diluted? That sounds quite handy.
Yeah and it even says "ready to use" on it. Uh-huh as opposed to all the preparation required with the old kind.

ROYC75
11-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Pre-diluted is for the pussies, the ones who are to lazy to go get the water, open and pour !

Soupnazi
11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Unrelated story: In my college chemistry class, one of our big test problems was to figure out the freezing point of antifreeze in different concentrations. It turns out that pure antifreeze freezes faster than diluted antifreeze, and there's a certain antifreeze/water ratio that's best. I mentioned this to my dad, who sells cars and thus uses a lot of antifreeze, and he said, "Sometimes you just can't believe all that science stuff." I thought it was kind of funny.

Did you take the time to explain to him hydrogen bonding and van der walls forces interactions on molecular structure?

OK, I'm done being a dork now.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Did you take the time to explain to him hydrogen bonding and van der walls forces interactions on molecular structure?

We both know that's not true.

Oh, and my dad disputes those theories.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Pre-diluted is for the pussies, the ones who are to lazy to go get the water, open and pour !
I don't even know where the hell to pour the shit.

Soupnazi
11-30-2004, 04:56 PM

You could pour it into the washer fluid bottle like the dipshit I saw this morning at QT.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2004, 04:59 PM
You could pour it into the washer fluid bottle like the dipshit I saw this morning at QT.
I could, but i'm lazy.

Eleazar
11-30-2004, 05:00 PM

ROFL ROFL are you serious?

Soupnazi
11-30-2004, 05:02 PM
ROFL ROFL are you serious?

Serious as a heart attack. I laughed my ass off all the way to work imagining him pulling the lever and coating the windshield w/ that crap.

Eleazar
11-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Serious as a heart attack. I laughed my ass off all the way to work imagining him pulling the lever and coating the windshield w/ that crap.

And what's even better is he now thinks the car has antifreeze in it ROFL ROFL

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 05:08 PM
With the old stuff I only have to drain the radiator and refill it with AF. In order to get enough of that diluted crap in I would also have to drain the block. Saaay, now, that IS handy.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 05:13 PM
And what's even better is he now thinks the car has antifreeze in it ROFL ROFL
Of course you could have taken the 15 seconds to explain this to him. But noooooo, you'd rather laugh at him and let him eff up a $2000 engine. You are a true Planeteer.

Soupnazi
11-30-2004, 05:14 PM
With the old stuff I only have to drain the radiator and refill it with AF. In order to get enough of that diluted crap in I would also have to drain the block. Saaay, now, that IS handy.

What? You're draining the radiator and putting in 100% antifreeze?

If you started with 50/50 in the radiator and engine, drained the radiator, and replaced with 100% antifreeze, that'd make your system composition about 70/30 antifreeze/water. I wouldn't do that for long.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Of course you could have taken the 15 seconds to explain this to him. But noooooo, you'd rather laugh at him and let him eff up a $2000 engine. You are a true Planeteer.

That probably happened already when the guy put gasoline in the radiator.

Soupnazi

Actually, his engine won't get hurt. He'll just end up spraying antifreeze on his windshield instead of washer fluid. Whether I told him or not, he's gonna end up having to drain the fluid bottle. He probably won't make the same mistake twice.

Sure-Oz
I have never drained hte radiator on my beretta, i have always just re-filled it with 50/50 mix.

Sure-Oz
11-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Actually, his engine won't get hurt. He'll just end up spraying antifreeze on his windshield instead of washer fluid. Whether I told him or not, he's gonna end up having to drain the fluid bottle. He probably won't make the same mistake twice.
if he don't notice his low coolant light his water pump will probably burst and hope his ass shuts it off in time as well or the engine will get fuxored!

Soupnazi
11-30-2004, 05:20 PM
if he don't notice his low coolant light his water pump will probably burst and hope his ass shuts it off in time as well or the engine will get fuxored!

Crap. I didn't even think that he might've been low on coolant. I just assumed because of the snowy weather that he was out of washer fluid and refilled with the wrong stuff. Now I feel kinda bad.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 05:22 PM
What? You're draining the radiator and putting in 100% antifreeze?

If you started with 50/50 in the radiator and engine, drained the radiator, and replaced with 100% antifreeze, that'd make your system composition about 70/30 antifreeze/water. I wouldn't do that for long.
Nope, I blew a radiator hose this summer and it had no antifreeze in it, just water.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Yes, but the dude now thinks he has antifreeze in his engine and he doesn't. Is there a chance his block will freeze and crack? YES!!!!

Sure-Oz
11-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Yes, but the dude now thinks he has antifreeze in his engine and he doesn't. Is there a chance his block will freeze and crack? YES!!!!
That as well, so many options, let's just hope the guy really just needed washer fluid.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2004, 05:28 PM
That would be effin sweet.

StcChief
11-30-2004, 05:51 PM
If you drive junk that leaks that's for you to carry in the trunk, back seat whatever.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 06:06 PM
They should put a big sign on that display that says: SPECIAL - Half strength antifreeze at FULL PRICE.

Baby Lee
11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
They should put a big sign on that display that says: SPECIAL - Half strength antifreeze at FULL PRICE.
You're paying for convenience. As incomprehensible as it sounds there are any number of people who would feel the need to pre-mix their anti-freeze as overly complicated. So you have a gallon of full strength. Now you need a two gallon recepticle. You need to remember if the anti-freeze has been diluted or not. This is for the dad who wants his daughter to have what she needs in the trunk, should the car overheat, without having to give her a ton of instructions she'll probably ignore anyway.
It's the automotive equivalent of a supermarket selling a dozen eggs for $1.19, and over in the deli selling 2 hard boiled eggswith little salt and pepper packets for $1.50.

jspchief
11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
A better question is why they sell windshiled wiper fluid in 1 gallon jugs, when the reservoirs are never big enough to hold a gallon. If I had a dollar for every time I was left with 8 ounces of wiper fluid after filling up, I'd have about 12 dollars.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2004, 06:15 PM
I believe Skip Towne just got served.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 06:25 PM
You're paying for convenience. As incomprehensible as it sounds there are any number of people who would feel the need to pre-mix their anti-freeze as overly complicated. So you have a gallon of full strength. Now you need a two gallon recepticle. You need to remember if the anti-freeze has been diluted or not. This is for the dad who wants his daughter to have what she needs in the trunk, should the car overheat, without having to give her a ton of instructions she'll probably ignore anyway.
It's the automotive equivalent of a supermarket selling a dozen eggs for $1.19, and over in the deli selling 2 hard boiled eggswith little salt and pepper packets for $1.50.
And it took them 90 years to come up with the concept of selling water at $7.00 per gallon? And you don't need to pre mix the AF in the 2 gallon recepticle, Just pour in the AF and an equal amount of water. And the eggs are an example of "value added". Adding water is just stupid. Just think of the added shipping costs. I think one of Prestone's geniouses (CPS©) decided to see how many people are dumb enough to buy water @ $7.00 per gallon.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Crap. I didn't even think that he might've been low on coolant. I just assumed because of the snowy weather that he was out of washer fluid and refilled with the wrong stuff. Now I feel kinda bad.

Think how you'll feel when the washer fluid messes up his windshield and obstructs his vision, causing him to crash into a school bus of blind children on a field trip to the Playboy's Braille Library and leading to a fiery explosion. Just imagine all those horny blind kids running around on fire, unable to find a fire extinguisher because it doesn't have a beeper on it.

Sure-Oz
11-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Think how you'll feel when the washer fluid messes up his windshield and obstructs his vision, causing him to crash into a school bus of blind children on a field trip to the Playboy's Braille Library and leading to a fiery explosion. Just imagine all those horny blind kids running around on fire, unable to find a fire extinguisher because it doesn't have a beeper on it.
bwahahahahahhaa ROFL

:shake:

ArrowheadChief
11-30-2004, 06:31 PM
I work at a gm dealership and we heard the reason antifreeze went up is because of a shortage on ethylene-glycol. Ofcourse our only prediluted come in the extended life crap. 18.00 for concentrate and 10.00 for 50/50 mix

Baby Lee
11-30-2004, 06:32 PM
And it took them 90 years to come up with the concept of selling water at $7.00 per gallon? And you don't need to pre mix the AF in the 2 gallon recepticle, Just pour in the AF and an equal amount of water. And the eggs are an example of "value added". Adding water is just stupid. Just think of the added shipping costs. I think one of Pretone's geniouses (CPS©) decided to see how many people are dumb enough to buy water @ $7.00 per gallon.
So far as I know, they have sold both full strength and diluted ever since I first noticed such things, presumably before.
What value is added to boiled eggs? Hot water? So water is a ripoff, but hot water is a value.
I'm not saying I espouse it. The only thing I take any auto of mine to the mechanic for is wheel alignment and transmission fluid replacement, both because they require machinery it wouldn't be cost effective for me to possess. [I know you can change the tranny fluid without fancy machinery, but I prefer the peace of mind of them power vacuuming out the sludge and particles]. My first automobile, my father and I built from the frame up [including transplanting/repairing/improving the wiring harness] with an engine we built from the block up. But some people treat the space under their hood as a magical mystical place. They need the ease of being handed a jug and saying "if it steams, pour this stuff in there."

Phobia
11-30-2004, 06:33 PM

I also learned later that a very fine film of rust can actually strengthen some metals. True story. My dad didn't believe me on that, either.

Your dad sounds an awful lot like my dad. I don't know how my dad got so not smart. He has more education than anybody in the family. I cringe to think what would have happened if hadn't gone to college....

Bwana
11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
It been around for a few years at least. I have both kinds out in the shop.

Eleazar
11-30-2004, 06:35 PM
What value is added to boiled eggs? Hot water? So water is a ripoff, but hot water is a value.

I dont see the difference in either really. Boiled eggs are something that someone took the time to make into something else, whereas if you wanted hardboiled eggs otherwise you would need to go home with regular eggs and do the work yourself.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
I work at a gm dealership and we heard the reason antifreeze went up is because of a shortage on ethylene-glycol. Ofcourse our only prediluted come in the extended life crap. 18.00 for concentrate and 10.00 for 50/50 mix
At least in your case they adjusted the price accordingly. But it still seems stupid to ship water across the country in one gallon jugs. Water weighs 9 lbs per gallon so for every case of 12-one gallon jugs, you are shipping 54 lbs of water. Duh!!

Baby Lee
11-30-2004, 06:39 PM
I dont see the difference in either really. Boiled eggs are something that someone took the time to make into something else, whereas if you wanted hardboiled eggs otherwise you would need to go home with regular eggs and do the work yourself.
I just don't see any difference in the amount of work required to mix anti-freeze and the amount of work required to boil an egg. Both are negligable. Both involve getting some water from the tap. One inolves heating the water, plopping the eggs in there, and spooning them out a few minutes later. The other involves getting another recepticle and measuring the amount of each poured to make sure the mix is 50/50.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 06:47 PM
So far as I know, they have sold both full strength and diluted ever since I first noticed such things, presumably before.
I'm not saying I espouse it. The only thing I take any auto of mine to the mechanic for is wheel alignment and transmission fluid replacement, both because they require machinery it wouldn't be cost effective for me to possess. [I know you can change the tranny fluid without fancy machinery, but I prefer the peace of mind of them power vacuuming out the sludge and particles]. My first automobile, my father and I built from the frame up [including transplanting/repairing/improving the wiring harness] with an engine we built from the block up. But some people treat the space under their hood as a magical mystical place. They need the ease of being handed a jug and saying "if it steams, pour this stuff in there."
I just noticed the diluted stuff for the first time 2 hours ago. I'm damn sure glad I noticed or my van would have 2 quarts of AF with me thinking it is protected. And the value added to eggs is the fuel expended to boil the water for twenty minutes and the labor to boil them (filling the pan with water, timing the eggs and removing them and washing the pan). Not the same thing as selling water for $7.00 per gallon.

Baby Lee
11-30-2004, 06:49 PM
I just noticed the diluted stuff for the first time 2 hours ago. I'm damn sure glad I noticed or my van would have 2 quarts of AF with me thinking it is protected. And the value added to eggs is the fuel expended to boil the water for twenty minutes and the labor to boil them (filling the pan with water, timing the eggs and removing them and washing the pan). Not the same thing as selling water for $7.00 per gallon.
Please, no one ever expose old man Skip to the horror that is Dasani. ;)

I just find it interesting that a 100% markup for not having to go to the trouble of mixing your AF is a tragedy, while a 600% markup for not having to boil a little pot of water is just fine.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 06:52 PM

I just find it interesting that a 100% markup for not having to go to the trouble of mixing your AF is a tragedy, while a 600% markup for not having to boil a little pot of water is just fine.

Maybe Skip knows that he'd just end up spilling boiling water all over himself with the egg situation.

Skip Towne
11-30-2004, 07:07 PM

In the first place I've never seen a deli sell boiled eggs (in the shell). Deviled eggs is another matter, even more labor and expense involved. And I didn't say I approved of your ficticious eggs either. But spin it however you want. You're a lawyer after all. What is the trouble of mixing the AF. You seem to think you have to get a container and mix it before pouring it in the radiator. You don't. And in my case there is no mixing at all. I just drain the radiator and add a gallon of AF. The gallon of water is in the engine block.

go bo
11-30-2004, 08:30 PM
It's for those who can't drink it straight.

You should try it on "the rocks." :)ROFL ROFL ROFL

Jenny Gump
11-30-2004, 08:48 PM

I'm not sure why, but that totally turned me on.

Sure-Oz
11-30-2004, 08:50 PM
you want to touch my tralala??? ROFL

Baby Lee
12-01-2004, 08:03 AM
In the first place I've never seen a deli sell boiled eggs (in the shell). Deviled eggs is another matter, even more labor and expense involved. And I didn't say I approved of your ficticious eggs either. But spin it however you want. You're a lawyer after all. What is the trouble of mixing the AF. You seem to think you have to get a container and mix it before pouring it in the radiator. You don't. And in my case there is no mixing at all. I just drain the radiator and add a gallon of AF. The gallon of water is in the engine block.
And I thought the people calling you a cranky old man were just ribbing you. So you made a mountain out of a molehill and I was so crass as to mention that it was, in fact, a molehill. SOOOORRRY!!!!

Otter
12-01-2004, 08:11 AM

Soooooooo......what's the best anti-freeze water ratio? Let's say Denver if you need a climate.

KcMizzou
12-01-2004, 08:51 AM

Iowanian
12-01-2004, 09:36 AM

Skip..........thats not right.

A true Planeteer.........at least an Iowanian.........would have told him that was the Blinker fluid holder, and offered to check his muffler belt for corrosion for $10...and remind him that the antifreeze goes under the lid with the wing nut and that round anti-freeze filter in the top.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2004, 09:39 AM
I just never get under the hood. I'm sure I could find it. Its probably labeled "coolant" or something like that. One time I went to an auto parts store and I asked for some, and they said 'What kind ya need there sonny boy?" I had no clue. I don't act like I have a clue either. I just take my car in every 3 to 5 thousand miles to get the oil changed, and they take care of all my "fluids" for me. I like it better that way.

Iowanian
12-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Jeesh Saul.........Even the morons in the Farmer hats down at Golden Corral know where the antifreeze goes.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Jeesh Saul.........Even the morons in the Farmer hats down at Golden Corral know where the antifreeze goes.
Yeah, but they don't know when to stop eating!

Iowanian
12-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Here you go, Cooter.....

http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/

http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/simple.html

Saulbadguy
12-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Which reminds me, I need to get my oil changed.

I have a question for all you car buffs:

Is changing your oil every 3,000 miles necessary? I'm sure it might have been 50 years ago, but what about now? Alot of the manuals that come with the newer vehicles say every 5k and some even say 7k. For every 3k miles I drive about 1,000 of it is highway miles. I know the oil place puts that little sticker listing the mileage, but I think its all a scam.

Sure-Oz
12-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Its good too but i think you can go 4000 or so just fine. My beretta is almost at 5000 miles but i am really pushing it and need to get my oil changed next week.

Iowanian
12-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Its more important to change it more regularly with short drives..........HWY miles actually aren't as hard on a car as city driving.

I change ours at 3000 miles or very close to it. I also try to use the same oil brand, changing the weight winter and summer.

You could switch to synthetic oils, which allow alot more miles between changes, but cost more.

Baby Lee
12-01-2004, 09:52 AM

Is changing your oil every 3,000 miles necessary? I'm sure it might have been 50 years ago, but what about now? Alot of the manuals that come with the newer vehicles say every 5k and some even say 7k. For every 3k miles I drive about 1,000 of it is highway miles. I know the oil place puts that little sticker listing the mileage, but I think its all a scam.
Go to Mobil 1. A lot more expensive for the oil itself, but it equals out when you do it yourself. And you can change just the filter every 4K and the entire oil volume every 20K.

Iowanian
12-01-2004, 09:52 AM

Mabe you'd like to read my thesis on Angular-velocity, the Physics of Friction, and thrust in a smokey voice..............

Saulbadguy
12-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Go to Mobil 1. A lot more expensive for the oil itself, but it equals out when you do it yourself. And you can change just the filter every 4K and the entire oil volume every 20K.
Synthetic? And "doing it myself" really isn't an option...

Hammock Parties
12-01-2004, 10:05 AM

Damn dude. Even I know that.

Baby Lee
12-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Synthetic? And "doing it myself" really isn't an option...
Hands chopped off?
No let me guess. . . Lobotomized?

j/k - ;)

Iowanian
12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Leave him alone BL.........He just painted his nails, and you know how hard petroleum products can be on saul's nail polish.

This isn't stuff people are just "born" knowing.......you'd have to have been around someone who did it, or have taken the time to learn.

If you work for a HS...........sometimes you can get the auto mechanics classes to service your vehicle........Don't do it if you treat those kids like they'll be wearing NASCAR hats at Denny's though.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2004, 10:15 AM
There is a tech college here that will do it since I work for the district, but I take my vehicle to a place I trust will get the work done well. They change the oil and filter and all that, and check all my fluids, tire pressure, lights, and other things like air filter and crap like that. They won't tell me to replace it if it doesn't need to be replaced, either. Hell they even wash the windows and vacuum the interior. Quick and easy...and I don't ruin my nail polish. :)

Mr. Kotter
12-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Damn dude. Even I know that.

No, you don't.

That's why your windshield wiper fluid thingy doesn't work now.

Mr. Kotter
12-01-2004, 10:17 AM
...and I don't ruin my nail polish. :)

And you'll still have time to go for a message and tan; before you head out to the Cape to Windsurf, eh? :hmmm:

Pants
12-01-2004, 10:19 AM
And you'll still have time to go for a message and tan; before you head out to the Cape to Windsurf, eh? :hmmm:

Message in a bottle?

Lzen
12-01-2004, 10:35 AM

No, it is not necessary. 6mo/6000 miles is plenty. 3k miles is just a ploy by the industry to make more $$$.

Lzen
12-01-2004, 10:39 AM
BTW Saul, another important thing for you. Don't use Penzoil. I have had more than one mechanic and/or car geek tell me that they have seen that brand of oil gel up in/on the valves.

Mr. Kotter
12-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Message in a bottle?

Yep; Saul said there was a teabag in there with it...

Soupnazi
12-01-2004, 10:40 AM

ROFL That's great.

Lzen
12-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Hey Skip, here's another stupid thing about antifreeze. Apparently, a lot of newer cars are going to the organic type antifreeze. I just had my van flushed and filled. It cost an extra $20 bucks for the Dexcool type antifreeze that my van requires. Even if you buy the stuff at your local auto parts store or Walmart, it'll cost around $11.

Baby Lee
12-01-2004, 10:42 AM
Anyone seen the Ferrari F-60? It requires a $3K oil change with a special Shell synthetic or you break your warranty!!!

Lzen
12-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Oh and you think the pre-diluted stuff was bad. How about Prestone water? I know I've seen that stuff for sale. ROFL I don't remember what they charge for it.

Errrr.....I think I actually bought some several years ago. :banghead:

Lzen
12-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Anyone seen the Ferrari F-60? It requires a $3K oil change with a special Shell synthetic or you break your warranty!!!

That's because if you can afford to buy a Ferrari, you can afford to have a $3k oil change.

Baby Lee
12-01-2004, 10:45 AM
That's because if you can afford to buy a Ferrari, you can afford to have a $3k oil change.
The brake pads are a proprietary ceramic and cost $25K to replace.

Soupnazi
12-01-2004, 10:46 AM
Speaking of dexcool, if anyone has a GM vehicle, don't buy into that 100,000 mile maintainance interval they claim about dexcool. You'll get problems out the rear.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 10:48 AM
BTW Saul, another important thing for you. Don't use Penzoil. I have had more than one mechanic and/or car geek tell me that they have seen that brand of oil gel up in/on the valves.
I use Pennzoil. My Chevy Astrovan has 322,000 miles on it and uses NO oil. I change it every 3,000 and it is damn dirty. Oil doesn't wear out, it gets dirty.

Mr. Kotter
12-01-2004, 10:52 AM
I use Pennzoil. My Chevy Astrovan has 322,000 miles on it and uses NO oil. ....

I call, B.S.

:BS:

Ain't now WAY a GM product has 300K miles on it.

Besides, I envision you drivin' a 1969 VW Van. :p

Soupnazi
12-01-2004, 10:56 AM
I use Pennzoil. My Chevy Astrovan has 322,000 miles on it and uses NO oil. I change it every 3,000 and it is damn dirty. Oil doesn't wear out, it gets dirty.

Skip-What engine do you have in that thing? Is it the original engine?

Baby Lee
12-01-2004, 10:58 AM
I call, B.S.

We had a 70s Impala SW when I was a kick that my dad put 250K miles on. We then sold it to my aunt who put another 350K in it before consigning it to the trash heap. Had a stout 400 V8.

Mr. Kotter
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
We had a 70s Impala SW when I was a kick that my dad put 250K miles on. We then sold it to my aunt who put another 350K in it before consigning it to the trash heap. Had a stout 400 V8.

I'll bet that engine was imported from Germany. :hmmm:

j/k :p

Lzen
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
I call, B.S.

Actually, that should say no way a GM has 300k and doesn't leak oil. And I envisiond Skip still driving his original vehicle he ever owned, his steam engine car.

Lzen
12-01-2004, 11:04 AM

My cousin was the first person to tell me this. He has always been a car geek. He's worked on cars(not professionally) since he was a kid and was also a car dealer for a lot of years. Anyway, I think he was referring to what happens when it had some excess hear. I dunno for sure, I'll have to ask him again specifically what he was talking about. I do remember him telling me that he did witness this gelling firsthand.

Mr. Kotter
12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Actually, that should say no way a GM has 300k and doesn't leak oil. And I envisiond Skip still driving his original vehicle he ever owned, his steam engine car.

Good point; I stand corrected. ROFL

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 11:16 AM
I call, B.S.

It's true. It had 119,000 on it when I got it. I asked the guy why he was selling it. He said "high mileage". I laughed, Primestar had two Astrovans and they both had more than 250,000 on them.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Skip-What engine do you have in that thing? Is it the original engine?
All Astrovans have the 4.3 liter V-6. Yes, it is the original engine. The heads have never been off.

Soupnazi
12-01-2004, 11:21 AM
All Astrovans have the 4.3 liter V-6. Yes, it is the original engine. The heads have never been off.

That's what I thought. I've got the same motor in my Blazer and am hoping for a long-mileage life outta it too. FWIW, your story isn't unique. I know a guy w/ a roofing business here. He's got fleet trucks with the same motor in there, most of them well over 300,000 miles. Tough engine.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 11:24 AM
That's what I thought. I've got the same motor in my Blazer and am hoping for a long-mileage life outta it too. FWIW, your story isn't unique. I know a guy w/ a roofing business here. He's got fleet trucks with the same motor in there, most of them well over 300,000 miles. Tough engine.
Yep, Coca Cola has a whole fleet of them. They are red and white with a Coke logo.

Phobia
12-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Are you guys still talking about anti-freeze?

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 11:35 AM
We've strayed over to engines now.

KC Kings
12-01-2004, 12:37 PM
A better question is why they sell windshiled wiper fluid in 1 gallon jugs, when the reservoirs are never big enough to hold a gallon. If I had a dollar for every time I was left with 8 ounces of wiper fluid after filling up, I'd have about 12 dollars.

Wiper fluid should be a 50/50 mix unless it is winter, so I always have a partially filled jug in the garage.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 12:39 PM
I worked in a service station while I was in college. One of the new hires was doing an oil change and he accidentally drained the transmission then poure 4 quarts of new oil on top of the old oil. That didn't work out too well.

KC Kings
12-01-2004, 12:41 PM

My parents have owned Escorts and tempos since they were first made, and my Dad always squeezes 300k out of them before he trades them in for $50 credit towards a new one.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 01:18 PM
My parents have owned Escorts and tempos since they were first made, and my Dad always squeezes 300k out of them before he trades them in for $50 credit towards a new one.
I had no idea Fords could do that.

ptlyon
12-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Hookers are a 3rd

KC Kings
12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
I've always said I went to college so I could afford to pay people to do things I didn't want to do.

Changing my oil and doing my taxes are my two prime examples.
I pretty much do everything myself, taxes, brakes, home repairs, etc... but I do them because I like getting my hands dirty. When you spend all day sitting behind a computer you need some man stuff to do on the weekends. I do not however change my oil anymore. Back at my parents house, where my Dad uses the spent oil to "water proof his foundation", it was no big deal, but now when it take $6 bucks worth of oil, $4 dollar filter, I have a concrete driveway that I have to keep clean, then I have to take the spent oil up to autozone to recycle, it isn't worth the $10 I save doing it myself. The final straw was when I had the 97 explorer, whose drain plug is conveniently located directly opposite and above the front cross memeber, so I have to jerry rig a plastic milk ug to keep it from spalshing everywhere, and an 88 El Dorado whose oil filter was located on top of the engine, screw side down, so there was no way to get it off with out getting messy.

Have fun with the last sentence.

Rain Man
12-01-2004, 10:00 PM
If I tried to change my own oil, I'd end up flapping around on some beach as a Greenpeace volunteer wiped oil off of me. I'm not good with my hands.

Jenny Gump
12-01-2004, 10:08 PM
If I tried to change my own oil, I'd end up flapping around on some beach as a Greenpeace volunteer wiped oil off of me. I'm not good with my hands.

ROFL

Rausch
12-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Damn, so I can't just pee in the radiator like on Red Dawn?...

Jenny Gump
12-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Damn, so I can't just pee in the radiator like on Red Dawn?...

Nor in your patrons glasses....yeah, I saw you in the back that night.