PDA

View Full Version : This is going to be a shitty day

ChiTown
12-01-2004, 09:01 AM
My wife and I took our pet (of 15 years) to the vet yesterday thinking she had eaten something that was making her sick. My dog (West Highland White Terrier) has been diagnosed with a fatal kidney ailment. We are absolutely demolished right now. Chloe was a part of our lives before we had kids. She was a our child for years (especially when we didn't think we were gonna to be able to have kids of our own). She slept on our bed at night, she watched over our kids when they were playing outside, she sat by us when we watched TV, or had dinner. She travelled with us everywhere we went by car on vacation (and a few times by plane). To say she was part of the family might be an understatement.

My kids are sad, but still don't understand that Chloe won't be coming home today. It's going to be very difficult to explain to them that they'll never get to play with her again. I always thought it would be easier to let go of Chloe after my kids came along. Not a chance. Later this morning, my wife and I are going to the vet hospital to say our goodbye's and have her put down. I'm just sick about all this. I had no idea it would be so hard to let go of a pet - but it sure as hell is.

Thanks for listening......

mlyonsd
12-01-2004, 09:02 AM
I feel your pain. The vet is coming out to my place tomorrow morning to put down my 26 year old horse.

Sucks.

Skip Towne
12-01-2004, 09:06 AM
So sorry to hear that. I know what it's like.

Pants
12-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Man, I'm sorry to hear that as well. Just think of all the good memories and don't forget that Chloe had a good life with you guys and is probably thankful. She lived for 15 years filled with your love, that's a good life.

RedNFeisty
12-01-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm sorry, whoever said losing a pet wasn't hard needs to be shot.

Eleazar
12-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Sorry about that man. My parents just had to put down the dog that I grew up with. Sad deal.

Dartgod
12-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is very difficult. Luckily, there are a lot of great pet owners here to help you cope. My wife and I lost one recently and it helped to share her memory with the others here.

shakesthecat
12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Sorry to hear this Chi!

I know the feeling all too well.

FAX
12-01-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this, Mr. ChiTown. I had to face the dilemma of putting my dog to sleep last summer or pay for a $1500 cancer operation that might give him another 2 years of good life. I chose the operation. Never thought I'd do that for an animal.

Best to you and your family.

FAX

BigRedChief
12-01-2004, 09:22 AM
I had to put down a beloved pet that we got as a wedding present. 13 years. Man the wife and son were crying and holding it as it went to sleep for the last time. Then I had to go bury it in a driving monsoon. Very bad day. Been there. Done that. Just try to be supportive of the kids and the wife. Stiff upper lip and all that jazz. The lose doesn't go away but it does get better.

ChiTown
12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
I have a question for those of you who have had to put a pet down, or a pet that passed. Did you bury your pet? Have it cremated? Or, Did you have something else done?

It's something I've never thought about, but something I need to decide today. Your input is greatly appreciated.

C-Mac
12-01-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm really sorry to hear for you and especially the little family that dont understand. You know I never used to understand why there were such a thing as a "pet cemetaries"...... until I lost the coolest feline friend of 19 years. I understand now. Its amazing how one can get so attached to an animal. I'm just glad I had the oppourtunity to have such special pet in mine and families life that they can reflect on.

Iowanian
12-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Sorry about that chi.

I've buried the Dogs I've liked and have never paid a vet to put down a dog.

FAX
12-01-2004, 09:33 AM
I've always buried mine. And I've had to put down and bury lots of dogs. Bird dogs in Kansas as young man, labs in later life.

Best,

FAX

CosmicPal
12-01-2004, 09:35 AM
My heart goes out to you and your family....I've done it many times, and I now have a pup that I hope will last 15 years.

KCWolfman
12-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Pat - Very tough. My condolensces

Hammock Parties
12-01-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this, Mr. ChiTown. I had to face the dilemma of putting my dog to sleep last summer or pay for a $1500 cancer operation that might give him another 2 years of good life. I chose the operation. Never thought I'd do that for an animal.

Best to you and your family.

FAX

How did that go?

KCWolfman
12-01-2004, 10:10 AM
I have a question for those of you who have had to put a pet down, or a pet that passed. Did you bury your pet? Have it cremated? Or, Did you have something else done?

It's something I've never thought about, but something I need to decide today. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Our Golden Retriever died this last year. I took him to a cemetary where he was cremated and ashes spred. It was a good thing for the kids, very tough for me as I honestly thought I would break down when I loaded him in the car. They came with me the next day after I delivered his body.

Pennywise
12-01-2004, 10:11 AM
I feel your pain. The vet is coming out to my place tomorrow morning to put down my 26 year old horse.

Sucks.

Man that blows, and I'm sorry for you and Chi both.

FAX
12-01-2004, 10:14 AM
How did that go?

So far so good. Had surgery last summer and he's doing fine.

The neat thing about this is that Mack (dog's name) is, by far, the best dog I've ever had. He was a stray chow mix that I came across when he was probably 4 months old. Lived in the street.

The thing is that there is no question in my mind that Mack could have been a great circus or performing dog. He's the most intelligent animal I've ever known, loves people whom he trusts, and learns tricks faster than any dog I've ever been around. He could have been a contender.

Hard to put down a dog like that.

FAX

Phobia
12-01-2004, 10:40 AM

The last time I had the vet put down a pet was several years back. Our options were to take her, have her cremated for a significant fee, or let the vet dispose of her for free.

We chose the latter. I don't know what the vet did with the carcass.

My ex-wife got my lab in the divorce and the bitch is still around. She's going on 14 so it shouldn't be long.... I'll be sad even though I've not regularly interacted with her for almost 8 years.

ChiTown
12-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Our Golden Retriever died this last year. I took him to a cemetary where he was cremated and ashes spred. It was a good thing for the kids, very tough for me as I honestly thought I would break down when I loaded him in the car. They came with me the next day after I delivered his body.

Yeah, I'm strongly considering that option as well. My wife is coming by my office in a minute so we can make our way out to the vet. I'm sure we'll talk it over on the way and make our decision from there.

Thanks, to all of you, for your imput and support. It's nice to know I can count on the Planet when the chips are down. Thank you.

BigRedChief
12-01-2004, 10:58 AM
They told us that I had to bury the cat right now or pay the disposal fee. The words disposal fee upset me. It was a tough day. Hang in there.

cadmonkey
12-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Sorry to here that man. Lossing a pet is almost as bad as losing a "real" family member. When they are sick, hurt, or even die it hurts all the same. I don't care what people say about them just being animals, they are part of the family and you need to treat them as such.

Sorry you had to lose her.

Soupnazi
12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
That sucks. Hope you and your family get through okay.

Brando
12-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I myself have two dogs and can not imagine the pain you are feeling right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
My brother's dog passed away two years ago and he found this book to be very helpful in getting through the pain he felt. http://www.threedog.com/_scripts/EditC30.asp?CategoryID=179
Good luck brother and God bless.

BigChiefFan
12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Hang in there. I know what you are going through. Having a wonderful pet is an extension of your family and it's a tough thing to deal with. Most people opt to let the vet handle it, so it isn't any harder, but some find it comforting to bury their pet themselves. It's what you and yours feel comfortable with. Take care and may you find stength to help comfort your family with this heart-wrenching ordeal.

ChiTown
12-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks again for all the replies and kind thoughts. We brought her home and I just put her in the ground (I had dug a hole yesterday afternoon in case we made this decision). She'll be a permanent fixture in our backyard garden. When the boys get home from school, we'll say our goodbye's as a family. In the Spring, I'll let my boy's pick out something from the nursery to plant near her as a reminder. I'll let them take care of the plant like they did Chloe (they took turns feeding her and filling up the water bowl).

I feel very lucky to have known this creature of God for as long as I have. Anyone that met her, thought she had the most human charateristics of any animal they had ever met. What a personality......Thanks again.

Chi

Coogs
12-01-2004, 12:57 PM
ChiTown,

Sorry dude! I've had to dig holes for a couple of our pets over the past couple of years. Tough thing to do. :(

big nasty kcnut
12-01-2004, 01:10 PM
sorry chi it the worst thing that could happen. Hope you'll pull together and be strong for the kids.

MichaelH
12-01-2004, 01:20 PM
My heart goes out to you. We had one of our dogs put down 2 months ago after finding out she had cancer in her lymph nodes and spleen. She was only 6 years old. My 6 year old son still talks about her. :( My dog is my best friend and I hate to think of "that" time.

Raiderhater
12-01-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry for your family's loss, Pat.

kcfanintitanhell
12-01-2004, 01:30 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family. Hang in there...

HC_Chief
12-01-2004, 01:31 PM
My condolences

cadmonkey
12-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks again for all the replies and kind thoughts. We brought her home and I just put her in the ground (I had dug a hole yesterday afternoon in case we made this decision). She'll be a permanent fixture in our backyard garden. When the boys get home from school, we'll say our goodbye's as a family. In the Spring, I'll let my boy's pick out something from the nursery to plant near her as a reminder. I'll let them take care of the plant like they did Chloe (they took turns feeding her and filling up the water bowl).Chi

That is a great way to remember. When our family dog passed a few years back, my younger brother took it very hard. We had him cremated and placed in a marble urn (sp.). That helped him cope with it a little better knowing he was still he in some ways.

ILChief
12-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I know how bad that is. Last month, my mom and dad had to have their dog put down. He was 17. They got him when I was 8 or 9 and I'm 26 now. So they had had him for a long time. That was November 1 and they are just now starting to do better.

My wife and I have a West Highland Terrier. He is 2 years old and we have grown so attached to him. I dread that day for sure.

Calcountry
12-01-2004, 02:10 PM
One of my friends once opined that "God was cruel becuase a dog's life span is only about 12 years."

I responded, "No, God was kind. He have you a loving companion, unconditional love from the pet for 12 years, and he prepared you for what it is like to lose a love one."

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

BIG_DADDY
12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Just recently put down my english bully Cleo, I can totally relate. Best wishes.

|Zach|
12-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I never had a dog...my mom was alergic. Now that I have my own place I would kind of like one. I don't quite have the money though.

BIG_DADDY
12-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I never had a dog...my mom was alergic. Now that I have my own place I would kind of like one. I don't quite have the money though.

Depends on what breed you want. I can get great pitbulls off of super high quality blood for like $200. It will keep you in shape too.

|Zach|
12-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Depends on what breed you want. I can get great pitbulls off of super high quality blood for like $200. It will keep you in shape too.
Ya I would be more so into a pretty small dog I think. Mostly bc of my apartment size but also just because I think I would perfer them. My knowlege of taking care of animals is so minimal that I will prb wait till I have a roomate or a girlfriend that knows more about dogs.

FAX
12-01-2004, 02:28 PM

I had a 1/2 miniature schauzer 1/2 pug once. Called it a "schnug". Damn dog was quite eye-catching. Used to take it to the beach in FLA and let him attract girls. Worked great.

That's my suggestion.

FAX THE DOG LOVER

|Zach|
12-01-2004, 02:30 PM
I had a 1/2 miniature schauzer 1/2 pug once. Called it a "schnug". Damn dog was quite eye-catching. Used to take it to the beach in FLA and let him attract girls. Worked great.

That's my suggestion.

FAX THE DOG LOVER
That sounds cool.

FAX
12-01-2004, 02:35 PM
That sounds cool.

Hard part is to find one of the damned things. Breeders don't like to cross AKA breeds.

In this case, it was an accident and I got one of the two surviving pups.

However, pure bred crosses can be very interesting dogs if you can find them.

FAX THE BREEDING EXPERT

bogie
12-01-2004, 02:40 PM
So sorry for the heart break. There's a reason they call them man's best friend. My father of 75 years has a 12 year old lab that's on his last leg. It's going to break his heart when his buddy goes.

BIG_DADDY
12-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I can get you a pit around 30 pounds, you need to run it though.

redfan
12-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Dam, what a kick in the nuts!! I feel for ya, man.
A friend of mine just had to put down his Lab (bone cancer). I'd known this dog since he was a pup and it made me really sad to hear it. Dang, it wasn't even my dog and I got all emotional. I've never had to put one down myself; all of mine have died natch'ly. It doesn't make it any easier. Everyone always says, "Just think of all the good things they made you feel." That always made me sadder. Booze helps some (not so much for the kiddies, wink), although it is a short term remedy.
It sucks, but death is a part of life.