PDA

View Full Version : this guy would help our defense alot imo

Mr. Laz
12-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Posted on Wed, Dec. 01, 2004

Peterson claims lack of leadership hurting 49ers

By Cam Inman

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Injured linebacker Julian Peterson isn't all that's missing during this lost 49ers season. A lack of overall veteran leadership, Peterson believes, is the root of the 49ers' evils.

"You don't have too many people like (11th-year veteran) Bryant Young, and I think that's the problem," Peterson said Monday in one of his few visits to the team's Santa Clara facility since tearing his left Achilles tendon Oct. 10. "We don't have a lot of veterans. You need some veterans.

"The vast perception in this league is that when you turn 30, you're done and over the hill. But those are the guys that teach the younger guys with potential how to get better. They help them develop to be great players, see how guys handle being professional and come to work that way."

Peterson's leadership reached a new level last season when he won the 49ers' prestigious Len Eshmont Award, given annually to the most inspirational and courageous player.

The 49ers (1-10) have lost all six games since his season-ending injury. He said being relegated to the sidelines has curtailed his ability to lead.

"Being on the field is a big difference, because they can see you performing and how you react," Peterson said. "Being on the sidelines is kind of rough."

Peterson said such veteran presence helped the 49ers rebound from a 6-10 season when he was a rookie in 2000. Among the key veterans on that team were Young, wide receiver Jerry Rice, defensive lineman Junior Bryant, guard Ray Brown and linebacker Ken Norton Jr.

The 49ers, who reached the playoffs in 2001 and 2002, are playing this year without the same veteran presence of those seasons, having lost 10 one-time starters during the offseason.

"Some people take it for granted and say, 'I'm being paid, regardless of every week, a nice paycheck,'" Peterson said. "Some people come to work and take it as a pride thing, saying, 'I'm coming to work, I'm coming to be the best, to get better and to try to help the franchise win the Super Bowl.' That's why you need veterans, to show younger guys the real idea of the NFL and how to become a real professional."

Said quarterback Tim Rattay: "Obviously there are leaders on this team, guys like (right tackle) Scott Gragg and guys that have been here, older guys. We lost some of our leaders to injuries, like (center) Jeremy (Newberry) and Julian. Ultimately, everybody's got to look at themselves and motivate themselves."

First-year defensive coordinator Willy Robinson praised linebackers Derek Smith and Jeff Ulbrich for their leadership, as well as Young, the team's longest-tenured player.

"He's shown stability, consistency, a tenacious love of the game," Robinson said of Young.

Peterson will turn in his crutches and his cast Thursday. His rehabilitation likely will stretch into June, and he'll split time in Santa Clara and back home near Washington, D.C.

"I'm not going to try to rush anything," Peterson said. "I don't need to. Once it heals completely, you can come back as your normal self."

It's uncertain whether he comes back in 2005 with the 49ers. He's unsigned for next season, but the 49ers could retain his rights by naming him their franchise player for the second straight year.

"We haven't talked about that," Peterson said. "Right now we're just trying to scratch more than one win out. We've got bigger issues to deal with other than that."

Note: The 49ers said they've released backup tight end Kevin Ware and worked out fourth-year defensive tackle Willie Blade.

BigChiefFan
12-01-2004, 11:29 AM
I can't see the niners letting their best player go, but it could happen. I prefer DJ in the draft, but if we could land Peterson in FA and Rolle in the draft, I'd be pleased as punch.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
if we could land Peterson in FA and Rolle in the draft

this is EXACTLY the kind of moves we need at this point

we have to look at improving for this year AND make up for very little movement last year at the same time.

Rolle (included in a good draft)

Peterson (and another couple solid players) in FA

not going to be easy... but it's the price you pay for standing pat

BigChiefFan
12-01-2004, 11:36 AM
this is EXACTLY the kind of moves we need at this point

we have to look at improving for this year AND make up for very little movement last year at the same time.

Rolle (included in a good draft)

Peterson (and another couple solid players) in FA

not going to be easy... but it's the price you pay for standing pat
I like it, his injury concerns me, but standing pat isn't going to help.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-01-2004, 11:36 AM
I'd take him. Even though I wondered why in hell Carl Peterson was talking about the 49ers at first.

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2004, 11:39 AM
I would cut Barber for sure if we could get Peterson. Plus draft Derrick Johnson and our LB crew would be awesome.

vckcchiefs04
12-01-2004, 11:40 AM
We could go get a wax figure of Julian Peterson and it would be an improvment!! Go get him if he's there!!! I would be happy with him there and then place the best LB's we have around him! The draft will always scare me until they land another winner like they did with D.T. and Tony G.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2004, 11:46 AM
I would cut Barber for sure if we could get Peterson. Plus draft Derrick Johnson and our LB crew would be awesome.

our linebackers are terrible in coverage... tightends just kill us. peterson would help us tremendously. read his history...

==============================
#98 Julian Peterson LB
Born: 7/28/1978
Birthplace: Temple Hills, MD
Height: 6-3
Weight: 235
College: Michigan State
Drafted: Drafted by 49ers in first round (No. 16 overall) of 2000 NFL Draft.

Pro History
Became first NFL player to lineup at four different positions in one game (at Dallas 12-8-02): linebacker, defensive end, strong safety and cornerback …Made first career PRO BOWL appearance in 2002…Excelled at shutting down athletic tight ends …Strong, athletic linebacker with great speed and big-play ability...Combines great balance and speed as pass rusher...Emerged as leader on young, talented defense with his explosive play.

ptlyon
12-01-2004, 12:10 PM
nah, if he played for the Chiefs, he would get caught holding like he should be now.

Coach
12-01-2004, 12:17 PM
IIRC, the game aganist SF, which I think it was the pre-season game a few years ago, I thought Peterson did a good job covering aganist Gonzo.

ptlyon
12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Yeah, if you like holding.

And it wasn't pre-season.

ChiefsCountry
12-01-2004, 12:47 PM
our linebackers are terrible in coverage... tightends just kill us. peterson would help us tremendously. read his history...

I was saying a Linebacking core of Peterson, Derrick Johnson, and Scott Fujitia would be very good.

Rausch
12-01-2004, 12:59 PM

He shut Gonzo down. If they aren't going to call it I don't blame him for doing it.

Gonzo needs to find ways to get open after getting bumped/jammed at the line...

morphius
12-01-2004, 12:59 PM

Exactly, Gonzo would have had a strong sexual misconduct charge against Peterson the way he kept trying to rip his clothes off in the work place.

Rausch
12-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Peterson would give us immediate help at LB (IF he's healthy by next year.)

He's a stud, and I'd trade a 1st for him...

ptlyon
12-01-2004, 01:02 PM
He shut Gonzo down. If they aren't going to call it I don't blame him for doing it.

Gonzo needs to find ways to get open after getting bumped/jammed at the line...

Wrong.

ptlyon
Exactly, Gonzo would have had a strong sexual misconduct charge against Peterson the way he kept trying to rip his clothes off in the work place.

Correct.

Mr. Kotter
Peterson would give us immediate help at LB (IF he's healthy by next year.)

He's a stud, and I'd trade a 1st for him...
I wanted to draft him....but of course, we chose someone like Eddie Freeman or something in that draft. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Rausch
12-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Wrong.

There wasn't anything "wrong" about that post. He held Gonzo, they didn't call it, Gonzo got shut down.

If the refs don't call it the player isn't going to stop doing it.

2nd, Gonzo needs to get better at fighting through bumps/jams at the line. He's admitted himself that his biggest asset getting open is the first 5 yards off the line after the snap. A quick first few steps that helps him get open. If he doesn't get that quick jump on a LB/S he doesn't get open. See the Denver game or San Fran game mentioned...

Son of Logical
12-01-2004, 01:08 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Sorry, he is a damn fine linebacker, but we need a lot of help and trading a high draft pick away right now is a terrible idea. If we can get him in free agency that is outstanding, but no way do we trade a first for him. If the Niners are worried about his injury we might be able to get him cheap like we did Roaf. So I say go get him, but not for first round pick.

Rausch
12-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I wanted to draft him....but of course, we chose someone like Eddie Freeman or something in that draft. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I thought he was drafted way ahead of us, but I could be wrong...

Mr. Kotter
12-01-2004, 01:10 PM
I thought he was drafted way ahead of us, but I could be wrong...

I'd have to check...

ptlyon
12-01-2004, 01:10 PM
There wasn't anything "wrong" about that post. He held Gonzo, they didn't call it, Gonzo got shut down.

If the refs don't call it the player isn't going to stop doing it.

You're right. I skipped past the "If they aren't going to call it I don't blame him for doing it." part. My bad.

Homage rep. :huh:

BigChiefFan
12-01-2004, 02:23 PM
I was saying a Linebacking core of Peterson, Derrick Johnson, and Scott Fujitia would be very good.
Scott Fujita can take a flyin' leap as far as I'm concerned. We need hard-hitting LBers and Fujita isn't it. Plus isn't he a FA? If so, bye bye in my eyes.

Demonpenz
12-01-2004, 03:56 PM
all this draft talk and i KNOW...KNOW it's going to turn out shitty