PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Make certain high-bandwitdth features "premium"

jAZ
12-01-2004, 12:19 PM
Rather than turning off features like Search all together, how about making those features available only to those people who make a $$ contribution to the site. Even a small contribution ($1, $5, $10 per year).

Other websites do this with good success, and I suspect that features such as this are easy to implement with the latest BB software.

BigRedChief
12-01-2004, 12:24 PM
I agree that something had to be done. And the BB performance has improved. But to not be able to use the search function has decreased the quality of my life. :deevee:

Bob Dole
12-01-2004, 12:25 PM
It wouldn't help anything, since the database isn't going to adjust the processing required to search the database based on whether the user was a "premium" user or one of the mortals.

It's not a matter of too many people searching at issue. The database and index are just too damned large.

BigRedChief
12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
It wouldn't help anything, since the database isn't going to adjust the processing required to search the database based on whether the user was a "premium" user or one of the mortals.

It's not a matter of too many people searching at issue. The database and index are just too damned large.

Has the database been trimmed? Reindexed in the past? I had to do that about once a month on a BB that I ran in the past.

Bob Dole
12-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Has the database been trimmed? Reindexed in the past? I had to do that about once a month on a BB that I ran in the past.

No, because the general consensus has been that everyone wants to have everything ever written saved for searching.

Therein lies the problem.

Eleazar
12-01-2004, 12:39 PM
No, because the general consensus has been that everyone wants to have everything ever written saved for searching.

Therein lies the problem.

Sounds like, given this stipulation, that there won't be any easy fix.

Searching through that amount of text is not going to be quick.

Bob Dole
12-01-2004, 12:39 PM
fwiw, we have been analyzing the server and vBulletin logs since disabling of the search function and we're probably going to try something else to see how it impacts the site's performance.

Hopefully we can change the config later today and see if it has enough impact to allow restoration of the search functionality.

Otter
12-01-2004, 12:40 PM
I'll throw in $20 for Titus to have the search function back.

I don't post enough to stay amused on my own.

Rausch
12-01-2004, 12:44 PM
I think it's a good idea. Might give him a hand upgrading or with storage space, or paying the damned i-bills...